Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier- France 2015-2016

Poster: A snowHead
Well back home and last run was probably the best tree run I've ever done, more on that laters.

As for the snow and roads, I saw fair amount of carnage starting on our little hill where a 4x4 had managed to skid ending up cross on and stuck blocking in the snow plough in, luckily we have another way in and out.

Had to really dig the van out for the first time this season and then we drove up to Monetier.

And thankfully Bachas was open, though not too many people out.

Few runs off Chaume which was closed and then in the trees between. OH was having goggle mares with the falling snow and viz so left her in the Chabert and went up and did some more.

Final run I opted for the Crête des Lauzières hike / traverse and fortunately a couple had already made a track, but still quite hard work, but was blessed with one of the best tree runs ever and not one feckin tree stump and with that much depth of snow you need the steep angle to really let the skis run, was superb!

Snow was getting a little heavy by the end as temps have risen to +3 and snow in the garden is now slowly compacting, and snow stopped around 45mins ago.

So first lifts tomorrow hopefully after a clearing sky tonight which might suck some of the moisture out of the snow so could well have better powder and sunshine Cool

Start of the hike straight of the Bachas

A word of warning

Part of the hike, hard work in that much (80cm+) fresh snow, even with two others before

Not a stump to be seen, and that is quite steep, though doesn't look it!

And then back on the old piste, which due to the snow depth you have to almost straight line, and a long ardous walk out at the bottom to the baby drag
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice. Glad SC delivered for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So as I alluded to above the cold front did track through overnight and fortunately no accompanying NW wind for a change, and we awake to minus 8 and clear blue sky.

So hopefully as tends to happen the powder will be a lot lighter as the moisture gets sucked out of it.

Snow in garden has compacted down to 30cms and a slight crust

Texts are a buzzing and game plan Monetier for 08:30 - and if anyone is late..........

No friends on a bluebird powder day!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So no more moaning then? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sparkzter, of course still, might be the wrong type of snow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First lifts at Monetier at 08:30 with a group of friends and OH along with Tim from Mojo's who we dragged out even though he was full of flu!

It was empty for the first hour or so, we did the Crête des Lauzières tree run first off whilst it was still cold so would not get too sweaty on the hike, and then three laps of Montagnolle, with the OH bailing after the first as pace was quite rapid but all credit to her!

Second Montagnolle lap we came in over the ridge and that was superb, though I was a tad conscious of the cornice and did not drop in down the steeper line.

There was plenty of untracked to ski and with a few traverses (not over cliffs) there was still loads more to be had, and the run out was in great condition, thankfully for the two snow boarding mates with us!

Last run and as we were going up the Yret chair we could see two groups taking the ridge line, as we then approached we saw where a huge slide had happened. I could see two people far below and immediately went into search mode and slowly skied down the slide checking for any signals. The two below eventually skied off so it must have happened with the group before, and later on that was confirmed.

A very sobering lesson, that said where I went in on the first descent (photographer always gets first tracks Cool ) I opted not to take that line as I felt happier with the less steep line.

Bit of snowboard action in the trees.

Pikey at speed in the trees

Tim en route with Pikey looking on

Pikey is a very well know photographer in the valley and great to get him on the other side of the lens

And then looking back up at the slide, the fracture line was 40-50cms, first descent we came in skiers left of the slide.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, Great pics Smile . looking forward to being in Serre next week
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Minus 12 this morning Shocked

Unfortunately there was a lot of wind yesterday afternoon and could see the powder getting trashed in the wind Crying or Very sad

Bumped into a few people late yesterday and they said what a great day they had on their first day in the resort, talk about scoring it lucky, though journey in Sat was a bit of a mare!

I'm off out this morning so will report back laters Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So ended up Billy No Mates as both dropped out due to issues with chalet heating systems!

As I was already with van engine running to defrost it I decided on going up tout seul, OH declined knowing where I was hoping to go.

So up Vallons and the Cucumelle hike, had a group in front and what looked like a group behind. Don't know if it was the cold air in the lungs or legs tired from the last couple of days but found it hard.

Once at the top became apparent how the wind had trashed the snow with massive sastrugi to contend with. The group in front headed off down in Monetier direction whilst I gingerly negotiated the sastrugi, I actually quite enjoyed the challenge.

Then on to the traverse and hikes, by the time I arrived at the final steep hike a local snowboarder had come alongside. We chatted about heading down Guibertes direction as North facing and snow would be good, I explained how I had not done that route before, so I sort of tagged along and he was quite happy as a couple of times as I was on skis I went ahead and checked what lay in store.

Seemed there were only a couple of other tracks and then we lost those, though now I think I know where as I've spent a fair amount of time playing around with my gps track in mapping software and Google Earth.

So was rather challenging with some complex route finding but so rewarding with a great line, I think the actual route was on a par with La Grave's Les Freaux couloir which would have been well tracked out after yesterday!

I ended up at Les Guibertes which is in between Monetier and Villeneuve and then had to pole / skate back along the x-country track back to Pontillas which just about finished me off!

Now looks like spring skiing will be the way to go for the off piste, so we'll start going off the back etc

Pistes are in great conditions and even though it's been sunny the cold temps have slowed down the melt even on South facing slopes.

This is the route in Google Earth, the thin blue line, from 2,500 to 1,400

And then zoomed in towards the top
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How could that happen?
Serre Che slipped onto page 2 of the Snow Reports threads!!
Less of that please. Risk of Repetitive Strain Injury from that extra key depression or click.
Gavin, Helen, Ken....standards need to be maintained....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kevin Byrne, absolutely. I'm too busy sorting stuff out for my trip at the weekend. Ken is in Gressoney.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apologies, I had a day off on Tuesday. In the evening we were out with some people / friends and I ended up agreeing to take someone out for their first tour who then asked if he could bring someone else.............

He was a snowboarder (an osteo I know from back home) so I tooled him up with Elaine's snow shoes, collapsible poles and avi gear and his mate who he's met and been skiing with here had done a number of seasons and was a good skier though had never done any touring.

Route choice was limited by the fact that as it's been so cold, snow has not really transformed to spring snow yet and at altitude wind has played havoc with the snow pack, you only have to see the massive drifts at the bottom of our hill!

I opted for a tour I'd done a while back in Nevache, steep and technical but should deliver hopefully good untracked powder in the trees.

Faff factor was through the roof as we got out the van, with both of them carrying way too much gear, so we had to edit that down.

As the "good" skier set out I asked him about kick turns to which he replied he'd never done any, but often when off piste does downhill kick turns to get him out of trouble - so showed him the basics and he was fine on the flat and had no issues at all on the steeps. I'm not too sure what I could have done if he found them difficult as there are really no other options.

Meanwhile the guy on the snowshoes was beasting himself and asked after the first 100m vertical how far to go, not a good sign.

So we took it nice and easy, well under 300m an hour and made steady progress. From the looks of the descent tracks around ten or so people had been out so had a couple of skinning tracks to follow.

We made it to the top and they both talked each other into hiking to the summit with one of them freaking out at the top re the exposure of it and how to get back down. He knew he was being silly but just goes to show what you get used to etc and I'm certainly no alpinist.

So I think the whole tour took well over double the time when I last did it with the CAF.

Descent was fantastic as I did a long traverse to get to an untracked area and the guys had just a blast and were so stoked once down, and remained stoked even in the bar some five hours later when I met up with them!

So still cold and we've not really had too many days of freeze / thaw which we need to stabilise the snow pack and produce good spring snow conditions. And high cloud does not really help that process and that does look to be what the forecast is predicting, but we'll wait and see.

Might try and temp the OH to do a similar tour today but in another valley. Then might investigate slack country options tomorrow, that's when we go off the back and then skin back up into resort.

As for all those SnowHeads coming out for the OffPiste bash guides are going to have to work hard, along with the skiers to get to the untracked but there's still plenty around, was just a shame that the best day of the season happened on a Sunday when so many were out on the hill, if the dump had a been a few days later rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crazily deep powder rando steep couloir with the dogs necessitated use of back pack for the descent.

Fortunately I thought that might be the case before we left so dug out my big 38lt pack and tried it out before we left at home and she seemed quite chilled.

And worked really well on the descent as powder was so deep and light, that said Kiki does not seem to find it difficult.

Working on the vid now.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wading through powder is one way of exercising the dog Very Happy . My retriever is so white Id lose him. will he in monetier all being well in 45 hours not that I'm counting Very Happy
snow report
@Weathercam, That's a great shot with the pooch on board. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
......As for all those SnowHeads coming out for the OffPiste bash guides are going to have to work hard, along with the skiers to get to the untracked but there's still plenty around..........

Yesterday opted for a new area, based on a chat with a neighbor who is a private instructor and had taken his client off touring the day before and reported back excellent conditions.

Only issue was that this particular route is not on the map as a ski tour route so there were various options, and I opted to follow a what looked like a day old skinning track away from the main route.

It was alarmingly steep and had the OH very concerned at potential risk of avalanche, vertigo, and general fear at being exposed, in a nut shell she was none too happy!

The track up was safe with who ever went up knowing what he was doing, but twas kick turns a plenty and very awkward ones at that!

Dogs were ok but as soon as they went down from the track it was hard work for them to clamber back up. As we neared the crest of what I thought was the summit and hoping that it would open out on to more of an open plateau it turned out to be a ridge climbing further up into another couloir (by now I know I should have looked at my map).

Once over the ridge I then had to manager expectations / reactions and I thought best to only go up a little more and then get into downhill mode as the line was looking very sweet indeed, with only one other track which made me feel better.

What I didn't quite realise was the OH was worried about the state of the snow pack as she couldn't quite believe it could be effortless powder, after a few turns the fear turned to joy and loads of smiles Cool

So here's the vid

http://youtube.com/v/SjXYO8XDBgY

Today we're going "slack country*" as conditions should be good, taking the snowboarder guy I took out a few days ago, though this time he should not be in for such a beasting plus he's going to rent larger snow shoes.

*go off the back and then skin up
ski holidays
Weather / snow is weird at the moment, would have thought we would have encountered better spring snow conditions, but it's almost as if there has not been too much in the way of freeze / thaw going on even though the snow in the field next to us has been which is often a good reflection of what is happening up top.

I chose not to go the more usual way as I was a tad concerned at the probability of a slab, as it was where we skied we set off three mini slow motion slides, not the usual spring sugar snow but these were more of a late afternoon spring slide. In fact it was almost as if the top 30% of the layer had still not bonded to the rest, and that it was still heavy powder.

Skiing was slightly tricky on a mixture of spring / heavy snow. That said as the OH and I kept saying the volume of snow does bode well for the rest of the season though that was of no consequence to my friends on their last day, but they did thoroughly enjoy the descent, and even the climb back up which was a tad less arduous than Nevache a few days ago!

Once we skinned back up to the lift we did another line and that was even worse with a crust on it, twas almost as if it had frozen whilst we were climbing up as it clouded over Puzzled

We skied back on the pistes and they are in great condition and for a Friday afternoon it was not busy at all.

As for the forecast seems to be ever changing, with the prospect of some snow mid week, though how much is anyone's guess. It is a shame that without the prospect of any decent spring snow conditions then overcast days with snow flurries are no good to anyone Sad

Though on the basis of sods law as I'm touring down in Val Maira Mon - Thurs I'm sure mid week will probably turn into the biggest dump of the season, but I'm sure those SH's out for the OffPiste Bash will not be complaining!

So has now clouded over which is not good for an overnight freeze etc so probably a day OffSki tomorrow and maybe Sunday as well.
ski holidays
Hi Gavin. Great pics ! It was good to meet you, Elaine and the dogs last Sun. We've had fantastic 5 days - one more to go - and have been so lucky with the fabulous conditions. Cheers Peter & Cathy
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
.........As for the forecast seems to be ever changing, with the prospect of some snow mid week, though how much is anyone's guess.............

It's almost as if I was imagining things / in a different paradigm when I wrote that - talk about all change rolling eyes

Temps this morning are only zero though we have a clear sky so the overnight cloud that pegged the temps dispersed, so could well be a bright sunny day.

On the piste and actually doing "lunch" meeting some friends I did not know were out here and have not seen for ten years!

Then the rugby in The Frog laters.

No doubt by the end of the day the forecast for next week will have changed again wink
latest report
Nice LunchSki with very old friends yesterday, in fact he's 75 and still snow boards, they live in Lanzarote and many moons ago set up the first windsurfing club/shop in the UK at Worthing way back in the late 70's Shocked

Just been looking at the synoptic charts to try and get a better handle on what might be happening with the weather this coming week, and you can see why the various forecasts keep changing as there's no clear and identifiable frontal activity such as a low pressure system tracking through for a substantial snow fall, or even the opposite, a dominant area of high pressure producing overnight freeze / thaw conditions which is what you'd more normally expect for spring snow at this time of year just as the ski touring season gets under way with the various refuges and huts opening up.

What we have is a series of troughs and fronts and a mini area of low pressure mid week that might see a few cms of snow. Flat light and overcast sky (today) and the probability of rain not good, and then maybe a few days of sunshine.........

Be interesting to see what the various "guides" for the OffPiste Bash propose as well as where I'm going to end up with our guide, all I know is that I'm to be at Turin Airport at 09:00 tomorrow rolling eyes
latest report
Have posted in the OffPisteBash thread, but will copy here as well.

Guys quick heads up but worth thinking about a road trip Wed / Thurs down to the Queyras as looks like a Retour D'Est could be on the cards. It's just over an hour and a half to get there from Serre.

Check out the forecast for Abries / Ristolas for Wed / Thurs well over half a meter!

This in from our guide, we're heading to Val Maira

This evening/night there will be a few centimeters of snow and clearing tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday looks like a stellar weather day, Wednesday about 50 cm of fresh snow, Thursday clearing from lunch...could be amazing touring days in my opinion. In case there is to much snow coming down we could go to a resort (that can't be named) and do some lift-assisted off-piste.

snow report
Snow started just outside of Briancon and then snowing reasonably heavy on way up to Montgenevre and on down to Oulx, but not in Serre when I left !
ski holidays
Some gentle snow in monetier this afternoon but not anything that will make any real difference. On piste conditions are very good. It's not been at all spring like yesterday or today, weather has been fairly cool, lunch has been indoors. Skied down to brisncon yesterday and was surprised that it was fairly decent all the way down.
snow conditions
Arrived here in Marmora (Val Maira) to light snow but we are onlt at 1225m and went out for a late afternoon quick 1,000m skin and we had 20 - 30 cm of fresh, climbing in the snow heavy at times and then as we neared the summit sun broke through. Guide was getting very animated at the prospect which is always a good sign superb lines Cool
latest report
and a beautiful sunny morning here in Monetier. Very Happy
snow report
Very light snow in monetier. I suspect those on the off piste bash won't be holding their breath unless it starts snowing harder.
snow report
In the words of our guide from the email above, yesterday was indeed "Stellar Tuesday" twas a very special day! OH will put some photos up on the link below laters.
We're in for heavy snow today increasing all the day - hence we're out early!

Local webcams http://www.mairaspa.it/webcam.php
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully the snow will hold on still two more weeks Very Happy i'll arrive on 26 march..
snow report
Woke up to a few cm's of fresh this morning, but it's been a dull and chilly day with only a few flakes falling. @sven311, I doubt very much if it will all disappear by then. Pistes are in good condition.
snow report
Lovely day skiing despite overhead conditions. About 10cm. Lovely morning skiing on the pistes in monetier. A few tremendous runs late In the afternoon on one of the competition pistes opened late in the day that hadn't been skied on the sides.

Sven311 I wouldn't worry it's been quite cold this week.
latest report
@dan100, we were there this morning when Stade was closed, and finished early so missed the fun by the sounds of it.
ski holidays
It was the one off the clothe gautier (spelt wrongly) rather than stade. Couple of very nice runs making fresh tracks. Saw number of groups around heading off piste from cucamelle when we were playing off the side. Looked a lot of trouble hiking when there was fresh stuff 10yards from the piste Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Excellent conditions on piste today. Some fun off the side of the black off they yvret chair and off the side of cucamelle as well.
snow report
Generally underwhelming conditions around Serre Che this week compared to the last 2 weeks' powder frenzy in the Vanoise, however a short drive today took us to this:

...which was nice...
snow conditions
Back home now after our road trip down to the land of the cold "folletti" smoke.

Driving back was interesting see where the recent snow had fallen, or not as was the case as we drove down from Sestrierre.

Heard from some Serre dudes who on my advice made the trip over to Abries yesterday and scored big time.

I'll be writing up more of a report laters but this was yesterday Cool

Christian our guide, who was loving being on the other side of the lens for a change.

Et moi

So a day off today as legs are a tad tired after four days of 1,000m plus climbs and then tomorrow looks good for some Galibier / Les Chiens Spring touring
latest report
SPRING IS SPRUNG !

Amazing change in conditions as I type this just before the Welsh / Italy match kicks off temp is 14.5 - with OH crashed out in the sun on the patio!

Heard that Abries in the Queyras was really good still yesterday.

Today, we started early and ski toured up from just below the Lautaret to the Vallon de Roche Noire, and was it busy with loads of groups heading out, with some geared up for some major ski mountaineering action.

From the parking area you have a number of options and we soon found ourselves out on our own as we headed up the valley, though the various groups took a different ascent line and we soon put a fair distance between them and us as we headed off to an area that no one really hikes up to as it's not a summit or a ridge, but has a seriously good descent with various aspects that enable you to always ski good spring snow, so as you get lower down you veer off and ski a slope that has not seen as much sun as those higher up, if that makes sense rolling eyes

So lovely ski and dogs loved it.

Looking across to La Meije / La Grave

And down to the Serre valley below

Off to LG later to spend the night over there with friends and watch the rugby, not too sure about a ski tomorrow, could well depend on the heads Puzzled

Week ahead looks like more Spring conditions, so could be slushy on the piste late afternoon.
latest report
Some wheater forcasts say that next sunday there will be + 20cm of snow in serre. Other forecasts say that this will fall as rain above 2000m. Let's hope it will be snow! I arrive 26 March for a week! I really hope it won't rain pff :/
ski holidays
Any update from serre Chevalier? Conditione wise..?
snow conditions
@sven311, piste or off-piste? Pistes were in very good nick today, even towards the bottom, there is still plenty there, and plenty open. It cooled right down at lunchtime so didn't get slushy. I will be on my way home by Sunday, so hoping for more snow for you, and good weather for me further North.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy