Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier- France 2015-2016

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
I'm nursing a bit of a knackered hip / pelvis and how sore now rolling eyes

Was that from your crash in the La Grave "rock garden" last week???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX, no think I jarred the hip socket, well that's what it feels like Crying or Very sad

Today went for a little tour up from the Lautaret with the dogs, ended up being little as we bailed just under half way, as climbing up snow was shite (crust, ice, hard pack, wind blown heavy powder etc), and with a very cold wind was showing no signs of transforming. Went as far as La Mandette where the hut was open, so could go into descent mode in the hut.

As it happened I took a bit of a traverse round and found a very nice line in a mixture of spring and wind blown powder.

Was speaking to the guy that runs the Cafe at the Lautaret and he thinks the wind accompanying the snow will be ballistic over the next few days. As for how much we get who knows, look at snow forecast and it's well over 50cm for Wed & Thurs, whilst MeteoFrance 29cms. So wait and see what the bird table gets rolling eyes

One pic from today as I put others in a separate Rando Chiens thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124579

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think a fair few on here have been to Mojo's and know Tim and Mel.

Nigh on a couple of weeks ago Mel tragically passed, I've just heard from Tim that Mel's funeral will be at La Salle at 15:00 this Thursday.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-03-16 9:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, very very sad, Tim will be devastated. Please pass on our condolences.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slightly hard to continue a thread when participants obviously know someone in sad circumstances.

The webcams look out of kilter with the forecast blue sky and sunshine. Want to see a blizzard.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dan100, yes indeed weather is bright and sunny this morning, though don't have the wind of yesterday, yet!

And edit to the above, warming up so quickly any precipitation will fall as rain in the valley and up to around 2200 at this rate!

Snow is due early afternoon onwards, and predictions between the various forecast sites are all over the place.

MeteoFrance 3cm in the valley and 11cm up top
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/serre-chevalier/050231

Whilst snowhavingalaughforecast.com 32cm
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Serre-Chevalier/9day/mid
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lets hope snowhavingalaugh aren't.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
Lets hope snowhavingalaugh aren't.
Smile Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking forward to seeing Serre Chevalier at the SOPiB in two weeks. What with this thread, the bash thread and KenX's thread, it seems the place to be Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This surely isn't right (garden today):

Hopefully the forecast snow will arrive this week.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This morning after a chat to a non skier neighbour who has an apartment in the building next to me that some friends rented over the New Year (he had a patisserie in Paris and only comes here two weeks a year!!!!), he told me yesterday how he went for a walk near Cervières which is just down from the Izoard and how there was more snow there than here, which was pretty obvious but had alluded me!

Where we only had 10cms or so Sunday night into Monday, Montgenevre, Sauze and Queyras scored far more.

So off with the Rando Chiens and the OH moaning that a ski tour was not on the cards for today wink

We actually parked up at a spot when I did a ride and the OH a run back on the 29th Dec (when we had no snow) to suss out potential ski tour routes so that paid off.

Only issue today was that two day old fresh snow was heavy as had not gone through enough freeze / thaw, but we still found some nice lines, though again we bailed not only due to the snow pack but did look like the weather was closing in fast, which as it happened was a false alarm, though since I've been typing this the weather has closed right in but as yet NAFF*

So hopefully tomorrow morning will have some snow on the bird table!!

Stunning ski touring terrain, though a long hike to get to it

Looking over to top lifts of Montgenevre as we're over the back as it were....

Strava track log here

*Not A Feckin Flocon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
16:40 Flocons are a falling Cool

16:50 almost rain - temp +4.5 so hardly surprising

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 2-03-16 16:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
19:25 stop and start, stop and start, been out doing stuff and having a few peros, and one moment it's chucking it down, then nothing, and very very windy!!!

Hopefully more happening further up the hill.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been snowing heavily all evening in le salle les alpes
latest report
@elenius3, yes but massive winds are going to trash the snow.

It's bonkers out there a times, drifts are going to be huge!

So will be interesting to see what it's like in the morning, but I'm doubting will be too much on the van / patio the way it's looking at the moment.

Should imagine Lautaret is closed tonight!
ski holidays
http://www.inforoute05.fr/wir3/circulation.html
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

MeteoFrance 3cm in the valley and 11cm up top
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/serre-chevalier/050231

Looks like was closer to 2-3cm in the valley, but there was so much wind last night.

Today is a similar forecast, so flat light and fair bit of wind, so stay in the trees*

We're going to go up the hill to take a look, though OH is not motivated to go for first lifts.

*how many times have I typed that this season so far, well at least we have trees etc and enough to ski should imagine likes of Deux Alpes will be pretty grim

08:20 OH has declined to join me, as indeed looking very grim, going to go up to Monetier as can't see gondolas working in this wind!
latest report
Back home after one run Crying or Very sad

Went up to Monetier and as I thought only the lower lifts were open. During the holidays they open the Aya so that takes the pressure of Bachas especially when all the top lifts are shut due to "violent winds" !

Going up soon became pretty obvious that there was not a great covering of snow as you could see the orange dust from the rain still on the hard pack ice between pockets of wind blown on the piste, plus you could hear the scraping of snowboards!

At the top I went to hike the Crete but it was not powder I had to get through but dense windblown slab, I only hiked a short distance and decided not the best of ideas, and dropping down the trees confirmed that, a few nice turns but every now and again go through to the bottom and then the wind blown was so heavy.

Back on the piste lower down it was if they had not had any fresh snow with rain affected hard pack which my light weight fat skis hate, so once down called it a day.

Still howling out there with huge gusts every now and again billowing the snow across the garden in an arctic blizzard type scenario.

Will be going to say goodbye to Mel this afternoon.

http://www.mojoserrechevalier.com/
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Today is a similar forecast, so flat light and fair bit of wind, so stay in the trees

Just had a great morning here in Zermatt doing exactly the same Very Happy
ski holidays
Spent 3 hr in Monetier starting 11 50. One of the top lifts was running though visibility was quite low up there due to more snowfall and cloud starting 2 pm.Most red pistes were quite icy with thin layer of fresh snow, but we found a combination of blues and reds that were much less icy, so still enjoyed this short day out.
latest report
Lovely service - and as would be expected a substantial wake.

Love ya Mel................
ski holidays
Bless her
ski holidays
Well looks like we've missed out yet again, it's so similar to last season when all the forecasts seem to be wildly inaccurate Crying or Very sad

Yesterday quite a number of people traveled to Serre for Mel, guys driving over (the long way) from ADH said it was dumping big time, and then many from the Northern Alps commented how other side of the Frejus and even down to Oulx snow was impressive, that is till they got here!

And forecasts for later today and on into tomorrow look good, even you'rehavingalaughsnowforecast.com is agreement with MetoFrance!

And just to show what can happen later in the season, I dug this vid out last night to show some friends as it featured Mel & Tim, and Tim's comment at the end.

All the Young Dudes - Spring Skiing Serre Chevalier, one of the best mornings ever! from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/63748239
latest report
So yesterday most forecasts had us down for snow later in the day, and a few flocons dribbled out of the sky. Even when it was meant to be snowing later at night there was nought happening and we went to bed a tad depressed, again.

Then dogs woke us up at around 02:00 and you sort of have the sense when it's snowing outside as it's very quiet, and there was around 5cm.

Fast forward to this morning 07:00 and it's still snowing and looks around 15cm+ and looks like easily the heaviest snowfall of the year (see cam link below), and that's just here in the valley at -1.5.

As it's transfer day will be crazy chaos. I did think @Hells Bells, was en route today, though maybe it's next weekend?

Looking at the rain radar vs forecast would seem that the heaviest of the snow will peter out in three to four hours.

Not too sure how much will be open, and can't hear any blasting going on which you'd expect, unless they are waiting for the fall to finish?
snow report
YAY to good snowfall Happy
ski holidays
Yay to the end of weather related tantrums. Hopefully.
latest report
Plough just done first track through the parking, and looks like about 15cm. Evenly distributed as well which makes a nice change!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woke up to this heavy snowfall in La Salle les Alpes. I wish it wasn't my last day here:) Have to drive to Torino Airport this afternoon. I guess will have to drive carefully and leave seriously in advance...I wonder if lifts will be open this morning in Villeneuve. Do they do 3hr passes for this area btw? Puzzled
snow report
@Snow Hound, I only ever react to when someone has a "pop", similar to your post, and the more usual protagonists (a few I believe do not actually ski that much or at all) should realise that.

Now I'm off to dig the van out and try to go skiing.

Just been doing some Jack Tossing and out with the tape measure - and we have 33-35cms at 1,400m

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 5-03-16 8:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@Snow Hound, I only ever react to when someone has a "pop", similar to your post, and the more usual protagonists should realise that.

Now I'm off to dig the van out and try to go skiing.

The best way to deal with unwelcome comments on the internet is to ignore them. The best way to deal with a situation that you cannot influence is to accept it.

I hope you have a fun day today (I love storm riding as long as there's trees) and an incredible one tomorrow.
snow conditions
@Snow Hound, Serre Che does have some of the best tree skiing in the Alps Cool
ski holidays
@Weathercam, yes, we ar arrving next weekend, but kind of thinking this morning would have been nice.
ski holidays
Finally!! @Weathercam, I have been following this thread and your webcam for a few weeks hoping to see a big dump like this! OH and I haven't been to SC for 9 years - we arrive tomorrow. Looks like we've got the timing spot on !
ski holidays
from Alpine transfer company Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/alpinetransfers/?ref=hl
latest report
Resort website reports 60cm at summit. Serre rather webcam looks good.
snow conditions
As KenX is enroute to Italy, luckily from Zermatt not Briancon, I thought I'd take up the reins and add 'our' update. @HellsBells, lucky you're not on your way as the road to Montgenvre is blocked due to coach crash so no one was going in or out an hour ago.

There is 40cm of snow outside our front door and blasting has been going on since 7.30 this morning and still audible as I type. The roads are being cleared into Briancon and traffic is on the move but very slowly pass our house, @elenius3 good luck with your journey back to Torino, not sure how you check the road conditions but KenX is on the motorway right now and says its not very good out there, I've asked him to update this thread if he can when he arrives at the airport.

Keep smiling!
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@LynnX, thanks for the update. See you soon. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Looking forward to you all too. Just dug our satellite dish out for the second time since 7am!!!
Hope those poor flowers survive out in our garden that KenX posted the picture of just 3 days ago
ski holidays
ATC have just posted an update on Montgenvre - https://www.facebook.com/alpinetransfers/?ref=nf
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy