Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier- France 2015-2016

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, daughter who has done seasons should know better!
I do know how you feel though, we have friends coming out to visit us for 4 days before Christmas, it will probably be their only ski holiday this year and I chose the resort we are going to. Though we seem to be doing ok for snow in Central Swizerland at the moment I still feel a heavy weight of responsibility of my shoulders. They are not very experienced skiers and I will feel really bad if they end up spending their skiing budget for the year only to end up only being able to ski 1-2 runs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, you're also forgetting the first full season two years ago when they delayed opening the lifts for a week or so, but then it turned out to be really good for the rest of the season.

And when we first moved in three or four years ago in March we had over a meter fall.

Anyway can't complain about the weather for kiting here though, another great day yesterday on the water Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the weather jinx started when you decided to spend a lot more time in SC. You will have to sacrifice something to the gods.

It's like me with bbqs. I never mention having a bbc, always start cooking stuff indoors then at the last minute whip the bbq out, light it and finish off the food. That way the weather gods don't have time to rustle up a storm. If you start poncing around with the thing a couple of hours before you eat the gods have enough time to blow up some thunder clouds to drench the whole caboodle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there

What are conditions currently like out in Serre? What is open? We're not due out until 30th December so plenty of time yet for things to change but I've started to keep an eye on things because I do have the option to go elsewhere if things don't improve in the next couple of weeks or so.

Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
I think the weather jinx started when you decided to spend a lot more time in SC. You will have to sacrifice something to the gods.

Thought I'd done that with falling off a cliff and then the following season being helied off after doing my ACL Puzzled

You'll know I'll be very close to you Tues early evening and Wed morning as I'm staying with my brother, so watch the weather change Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will77, just 3 pistes open above Chantemerle at the moment, really good, albeit artificial snow, hopefully (!) this will change by the time you get here.......
Mind you, if Weathercam gets here before you, it'll probably rain and wash it all away Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:

Thought I'd done that with falling off a cliff and then the following season being helied off after doing my ACL Puzzled

Good point, I guess there are always the dogs! Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
first time going to sc
hope the snow turns up!
driving down over xmas,is it best to get a pass for the tunnel into italy beforehand?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nigel b, yes, as you can get it cheaper if you do. Details here http://www.serrechevalier-reservation.com/en/pass-frejus/index.html . You will need some proof of where you are staying to hand in with the ticket at the toll booth I think.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Good point, I guess there are always the dogs! Shocked

We do try Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/thH4SLK5nms

http://youtube.com/v/W4BrNElg9cw

Jeeees just had another look at the forecast - 12 feckin degrees on the 20th and 10 on the 19th - so that looks like a day in Turin before I pick my daughters up!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:
so that looks like a day in Turin before I pick my daughters up!

A day in Turin is always nice. Have you been to the car museums? The one by the Po is fantastic.

Or a better idea, take your bike and cycle up to the Superga, it is the hill where Milan-Turin (oldest bike race in the world I think?) finishes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, have not done the car museums, nor the film museum which everyone raves about, but the food market is superb and get to see all the dried Cod that I saw drying on the racks in the various trips up to Lyngen Alps and beyond on sale.

Last year met up with my Italian neighbors who showed us around.

Have the Mrs to show around as she has not "done" Turin, so will not be biking.

Leaving here tomorrow early and Wed Thurs we have stonking kite surfing conditions and temps 15 degrees, bonkers!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Egyptian museum is one of the best too.

You could probably kite surf near SC still Happy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All
What's the beta on the new road? Is it OK to use tomorrow? Or is the Frejus tunnel still advised?

Sorry if I've missed a thread on this...

Thanks.

Kevin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's fine, I'm in L2A as I write this having used the road this morning Very Happy
ski holidays
We came out yesterday, and North of Grenoble the gantry signs were saying that the road is closed, then all the way up from Vizille again all the signs say road is closed and go via Gap for Briancon.

And the closer you get so all the signposts are still taped over and blocked out.

I was getting distinctly nervous about getting up to the damn and finding the road was shut for some work or something. If I had not texted a friend who said that the signs were saying the road was closed I might have taken a different route it was that disconcerting.

The road is quite something and it is certainly not designed to take a lot of traffic.

There is quite a wait for the one way traffic light to it seemed from our end.

Not too sure would like to take it at the dead of night in gnarly conditions.

More photos up here and now have the webcam up and running though it is a pretty depressing picture.

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Went up the hill briefly and skied around and a few more runs will be opening tomorrow in advance of the start of the holidays, so you will be able to ski back down via Marteau and Casse du Boeuf.

Club Med opens on Sat and they're getting that descent ready. When we arrived yesterday there were huge mounds of snow canon snow, but last night they bashed all those into a run, all be it very narrow.

Heard that Sestriere and the Via Lattea are worse than here so that's going to pile on the pressure of numbers here.

Worst news I heard last night was that Xavier who a few might know, the congenial owner of The Frog has had a very bad stroke.

And I know I'm often accused of glass being half empty but the forecast looks dire for the next Ten days as High Pressure dominates.

Freezing at night so canon are working and bashers are out, but looks like it's going to be a Hike n' Bike Xmas.

You can see how bare Cucumelle is.

ski holidays
Thanks Ken. Thanks Gavin
I'm packing extra tee shirts and shorts....the skiing conditions look truly depressing. Didn't think it would be worse than last year.
I pity those who've booked their one week round about now and the local economy can do without another poor snow year.

All that said, it means nothing to Xavier and I guess we should all be thankful we can enjoy the beauty of the place, snow or no snow.

So, see you folks at some stage over the break....
snow conditions
And to think that 2 months ago, I was stuck for an hour on the Col du Montgenevre in a foot of snow Mad
snow report
Just back from The Frog where there was a bit of a "do" and seemed like the world and his wife turned up, presume to show their support for Dee and Jamie.

And as many rely on the snow for their various businesses a lot of talk about was how bad conditions are comparing it to previous bad snow years etc
snow report
@KenX, precisely. I drove over there the following day, and the amount of snow was quite incredible.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

And as many rely on the snow for their various businesses a lot of talk about was how bad conditions are comparing it to previous bad snow years etc

oh god, at least its stopped them whining about the road to Grenoble.
latest report
davidof wrote:
.......oh god, at least its stopped them whining about the road to Grenoble......

That subject was quite prevalent as well - speaking to a few who had driven it over the last few days, they like me, even though people had said it was open were nervous as to whether they'd get there and find it was shut for works.

One guy drove it just after some wet weather and then it froze and he said there was a 700m or so stretch that was lethal with around 4cm of black ice.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:
.......oh god, at least its stopped them whining about the road to Grenoble......

One guy drove it just after some wet weather and then it froze and he said there was a 700m or so stretch that was lethal with around 4cm of black ice.

I can imagine. There is a road near me that doesn't get salted and is like that during the winter, impossible for me to drive. They'll have to blitz it with salt.
ski holidays
Was getting worried for our trip over on the 27th, but its not looking to bad there atm actually.

https://vimeo.com/149324797
snow conditions
@Langers, it all depends what level of skier / boarder you are.

If you aspire to ski off piste then the conditions are dire, end of story.

If you want to ski cross country, then don't bother and just bring your running shoes.

If you are a family with a few beginners and like having a coffee break, lunch and afternoon tea on the mountain then there's just about enough to do, and a good time will be had.

Looks like they will be opening a few more runs in time for the holidays.

This morning we skied 90% of the runs that are open, excluding Monetier. And in the afternoon I went out on the bike up to the Col de Granon and I only had to get off the bike once because of snow on the road.

And they will open up part of the Frejus sector up this weekend, mainly for Club Med.

I have three families coming out here 26th, six adults and six kids and I think there will be enough to keep them active, but there again there will be a lot of people which equal massive queues.

What we skied today

View over to the ski area from the Col de Granon

Looking from the ski area over to the Granon

The route I took on the bike today

Barracks at the top just below the Col
latest report
Saturday 19th - well they opened a wee bit more up and today Sunday looks like part of the Frejus sector will open.

Nice morning yesterday with slopes very empty.

Then sorted out some snowboard lessons for my daughter with Davina from Ski Solutions.

Then back to the lift office and what a surprise (not) that we can't use our 50% discount coupons for the girls day passes because all the resort is not officially open.

So our options are day pass at 34 or three hours at 29 and for snowboarding first day, debutante at 9
http://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/ski-area/skipass/ski-passes/

As opposed to 50% off 47 - was a classic case of computer says NON

Went to Turin in the afternoon stopping off for a change at the supermarket in Oulx which was a bit of a disappointment, then game plan was to go to the Venaria Royale http://www.lavenaria.it/web/ which is Italy's Versaille and really close to Caselle Airport but we decided to do that another day, but does look very impressive!

Did our usual hanging out in a little cafe in Caselle waiting for the flight, which was late, then back to Serre and up to Le Cavaillou for dinner.

Should also add that road up from Oulx was very quiet (so no cars coming from Frejus), and the border which had a queue coming into France when we were going as the border Police were checking all vehicles was clear when we came back as Police were not there, obviously potential terrorists must travel in the day time rolling eyes

Then one of our usual barometers of how busy it is in resort is the car park by the bridge into the old village off the main road, and that was only 20% full and again the Le Cavaillou only had around three other tables occupied.
snow conditions
Nothing very worthwhile to add to all the above. The new road is interesting...not a route for large vehicles or busy times.

Valley looks more like May/ June than December. I guess we will ski at some stage but this will not be a ski holiday.

Hiking with the snow shoes on the pack just in case. Or maybe a bit of climbing / via ferrata. And the gear shops of course....there is always something to be justified Very Happy
snow report
Oh well first run of the day en famille and 600m into it, splat!

We really did think the worst at first with both me and my other daughter having done our ACL's and Siggy saying she heard a click in her knee.

But after ten minutes or so she was able to weight bear and walk, and then she was able to ski all be it in a lot of pain, but her pain threshold is not very high.

So OH took her down whilst Loulou and I carried on skiing.

Then we went to hospital where thankfully diagnosis is just a strained ligament, but think that's her off skis for the rest of the trip, but don't think her sacrifice will please the Snow Gods.

Back out on the piste this morning as friends now in Vielle Ferme so am showing them around.

No queues up on the hill at all yesterday.

Can see the Club Med car park is about 60-70% of normal capacity.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
its tempting to bring the mtb out there looking at conditions if i can squeeze it in
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Oh no...... Wish Siggy a speedy recovery, at least she's not missing much Very Happy
ski holidays
Very pleasant hill walking above Cerviere today. Spring-like conditions. Via Ferrata tomorrow. Should be balmy on the south facing rock.

@Gavin, sorry to hear about your daughter's injury today. Bummer.
snow report
Another sacrifice to the Snow Gods !

This time the other daughter!

She wanted to learn to snowboard, was evidently doing really well on Mickey until the last run and splat on her back bottom, as you tend to do when learning and now on strong pain killers with a heavily bruised coccyx!

More pistes skiing yesterday showing my friends around what's open. They really enjoyed three hours or so. No queues as such, with the busiest lift being Prorel. I just stick to skiing the edges all the time which is quite fun going up and over the sides where all the artificial snow has been brushed off to.

Tried to sacrifice myself as well last night when going outside for a bottle of wine and fell over the sun recliner chair which after that is now destined for the decheterie.

Day off the skis today as have some work to do this morning, then I might cycle up to Frejus if it's snow free all the way to say hello to the gang at the Pi Mai

This is interesting, if conditions improve http://ice-climbing-ecrins.com/?lang=en
ski holidays
Jeeees been reading reports of LDA and ADH and sounds a mare over there.

Think it's just probably the sheer volume of numbers that are trashing the slopes compared to here.
snow report
KenX can burn the chair in his new stove, the small bits of wood make excellent kindling.

Bad luck for the daughters, they should take it easy.
ski holidays
@davidof, Beat me to it there!!!
Just finished fitting it today:

Lit up a token "fire", nothing much as I only grouted this morning........
latest report
KenX wrote:

Lit up a token "fire", nothing much as I only grouted this morning........

that looks nice, did you buy a low emissions stove? There are all sorts of rules these days, at least down our way where it is more built up.
latest report
That 45 bend needs a door in it for sweeping!

ans the hearth should be delineated by a raised section ideally.

Nice though
ski holidays
Doing my bit for the Hospitalier des Escartons A&E today. Just to show no family has exclusive rights...8 stitches over my eye after coming off worse in a tussle with a section of ice when out walking above Laus. Merde.
snow report
@davidof, @Maersk, you two Elf & Safety?
It's a French stove, doing my bit for the country, with a Flamme Verte rating, the tiled surround is to maintain a safe distance from flammables i.e. the wood and the "professionals" that came out and quoted €3000 more than it's cost me said it was fine just as it is on the floor!
Oh, and the flue can be swept through the stove, although I'll take the pipes off and redo the rope joint in the stove when the sooty does his yearly clean-up Very Happy
snow conditions
@Kevin Byrne,
Quote:

Merde.
indeed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy