Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to finally invest in a pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided it's time to quit forking out in resort to ski hire and buy a pair myself. As I'm looking to invest in something that will last a couple of years I want to make sure I pick correctly, so apologies for the dumb question but how do I go about choosing the right size. I'm 5'11" (approx 171cm) and a decent skier after 2 seasons in VT. At this moment I'm torn between going for twin tips or powder skis (or both!). Any advice over the sizing to opt for for both types would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jamieibk, welcome to Snowheads. Where do you live? There's a ski testing event at Hemel Snow Centre in October - 10th I think. That's a good opportunity to try lots of different skis.

Otherwise, rules of thumb are that beginners go for chin height piste skis, more advanced piste skis go to eye height or full height. Rockered skis go longer. Rockered fat skis longer still.

I'm 162cm and I have a pair of 162 piste skis and a pair of 181 rockered fat skis. In fact you might like the Whitedot Directors too - they're a twintip fat ski.

The longer they are, the more float you'll get, and stability at speed. You'll sacrifice a bit of manoueverability in bumps and narrow places. And carrying the damn things around can be a pain!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Longer=more float???

Please tell that to my 203 SGs... Twisted Evil

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 15-08-15 9:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jamieibk, "2 seasons" you mean two full seasons or 1-2 weeks a season? If you go far a full season indeed then having own skis is the best choice. If you just ski one or two weeks a season and just started skiing, any intermefiate skis will do. Doubt you need real powder skis, something between 89 -107 underfoot would do for VT on most days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What kind of skiing will you be doing, realistically? If it's only powder (which I doubt), go for a powder ski. If you - let's say - ski 60% on piste, 25% off-piste (powder) and 15% park, get a twin-tip with some float. If you don't ski switch at all (skiing backwards), I wouldn't get twin-tips at all.

So, what is the type of skiing you want to do? And what's your weight? And are you more of a power skier, or more of a technique/finesse skier? These things all matter. Answer these questions for us, and the guys and girls here can get you some good suggestions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers everyone for getting back so quickly.

@mooney058, I've done two full seasons working for Crystal. And I take your point re whether powder skis are needed realistically

@cheizz, it'll be a combination of all 3. I can ski switch and looking to improve in the park. Currently I'd say I'm at 70% piste, 20% off piste, 10% park. Hence why I'm thinking of going for some twin tips. Weight is 76kg, height 171cm.

@marieadoconnor, I'm in Bristol. Thanks for the tips Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you - let's say - ski 60% on piste, 25% off-piste (powder)

A skier in Europe who spends 25% of his ski time in powder is a very, very, fortunate chap. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitedot Ones would seem to match your requirements, look at the options: Standard, park or zero suit you best (standard my be best for your 70% piste)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wot @On the rocks said, probably
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

A skier in Europe who spends 25% of his ski time in powder is a very, very, fortunate chap.

@pam w, Me too......its there if you go looking!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only drawback with twintips (apart from the rooster tails) is the fact they fit much less easily in the gondola racks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What @Maireadoconnor said, Come to the ski test on the 10th Oct...

The One's feature on my shortlist to demo over the next few months, along with a couple of other skis I've had recommended including Atomic Vantage 90 and Salomon Q85/Q90, but i'm also planning on demoing a few things at Hemel that I perhaps wouldnt otherwise (longer and wider) just to learn about Ski's and my own skiing.

I'm 5'7 and 75kg, looking for between 165 and 175 length probably. Similar requirements to you really. No serious park, but do enjoy popping through the easier stuff for fun.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are you 5' 11" or 171 cm? (5' 11" is closer to 181 cm)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jamieibk wrote:

@mooney058, I've done two full seasons working for Crystal. And I take your point re whether powder skis are needed realistically

If you're doing full seasons with a powder ski int he quiver then you need to sort your priorities out wink

pam w wrote:
Quote:

If you - let's say - ski 60% on piste, 25% off-piste (powder)

A skier in Europe who spends 25% of his ski time in powder is a very, very, fortunate chap. wink

Not really, if you're prepared to go look, which and work for it.

Lets say a resort gets 10 good 1 day storms a season (its more than that, and normally for more than a day, but lets keep it easy). As an absolute minimum you get 1 lift-served pow day during the storm, 1 the day after when the skies clear, then one touring the day after that.

So 30 powder days a season, if you get 100 days in you're doing very well, so that's already 30%.

But in most places you might well get 2-3 days storm skiing form one system, another 2 good days from the lifts when it clears up, then depending on wind and how far you want to skin, another 3-5 touring after that.

I think the notion that Europe gets way less snow than e.g. US and Canada is propaganda... It snows plenty here (rest of Alps may differ...), and they seem to get plagued with shitty conditions over there at least as regularly!

-------------------------------------------

Really you want a 90-100mm underfoot everyday twin tip and 120mmish offpiste ski as a minimum - better two pairs cheap and/or second hand than one new pair. Now is a good time to buy previous season's skis on the cheap - check Sport Conrad for example.

If you really can only afford one pair, get a 110mm twin tip with camber underfoot and rockered tip/tail - that's about the best compromise to cover all bases IMO. Pretty much every company has one...

Others mentioned the Whitedot Director. Really nice ski, and the NEW one would work well (longer sidecut section and effective edge). If you care about piste skiing then the old one probably wouldn't - unless you spend most of your time offpiste, in which case it could be ideal and cheap.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:

I think the notion that Europe gets way less snow than e.g. US and Canada is propaganda... It snows plenty here (rest of Alps may differ...), and they seem to get plagued with shitty conditions over there at least as regularly!

If you really can only afford one pair, get a 110mm twin tip with camber underfoot and rockered tip/tail - that's about the best compromise to cover all bases IMO. Pretty much every company has one...

Sorta agree on the former although treeline makes a big difference. European storm days can be proper grim if the lifts are even running. I think Europe tends to be the victim of blocking weather systems that can prevent storms for up to 3 weeks at a time but it seems that N America is becoming more susceptible to these too. Certainly California has had a Pacific ridge for it seems like years.

Re the latter you know that's my feeling but I kinda question if the OP has done 2 seasons and doesn't know what they want maybe they aren't that advanced and something in the mid 90s would suit.
snow conditions
Atomic Theorys?! 95 underfoot so plenty of float for what will drop in VT, plenty of edge hold for the groomers, lightweight and twin tipped. They're also not break-the-bank pricey. The 177 length would be ideal i think.
latest report
Quote:

A skier in Europe who spends 25% of his ski time in powder is a very, very, fortunate chap.

I don't know, I think 25% is fairly accurate for an average season especially for people based in resorts.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't know, I think 25% is fairly accurate for an average season especially for people based in resorts.

Yes - not far off.
But there is another issue - the amount of time you spend skiing offpiste in non-powder conditions (spring snow, chalk, soft bumps, whatever).
@Jamieibk, I'm a bit surprised you say you spend 70% on piste after two seasons. When I did my single season (Courchevel) I was mainly using pistes to get to the off-piste areas I wanted to ski. And that was on old school skinny skis. I'd say over the season I spent 60-70% of my time on ungroomed snow (including mogul fields etc).

I think Clarky's advice is good although if you are going to be flying for holidays in future then I would be quite happy with one pair

"If you really can only afford one pair, get a 110mm twin tip with camber underfoot and rockered tip/tail - that's about the best compromise to cover all bases IMO. Pretty much every company has one... " although I'd say 100-110.

That said, if you are really going to be spending 70% of your time on piste I personally think you have quite a difficult compromise to make between something that is good in the park and really rewarding on piste (no doubt that something stiff with a traditional camber is better on piste).
snow report
If you are going back out for another season, I'd wait until you get to resort to look at skis. Chance to try plenty out (probably more than in a fridge here, and on more varied terrain), some places offer discounts to seasonnaires or may have last seasons remaining stock going for cheap.
snow conditions
Hope you dont mind me hijacking thread , similar question.

What about these

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Head_REV_70_Skis_163cm_Black_Head_PR_11_Bindings_2014-(68659)

Weight - 195lbs
Height - 5ft 6"

Intermediate skier , average style.
Mostly piste but would do powder if available Smile
ski holidays
Oh sorry , 170cm? is that the size i should opt for
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy