Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring equipment for Mountain Safety course in Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
I'm booked on the BASI L3 Mountain Safety course in Courchevel this January, but wondering where I'm going to get the plethora of equipment needed and could do with some advice from those who have done it before.

I have no touring experience or equipment, so pretty much starting from scratch.

Stuff like the transceiver, probe, shovel I'm happy to just buy.

I'll also need skis with touring bindings, skins, possibly boots unless I can use my normal alpine boots, crampons (‘Harscheissen’). Ideally I'd like to hire these in resort to save carrying them there and back. Any recommendations for shops that are well set up for hiring touring gear so I can get the whole set together and not have to worry about bits being compatible. The BASI page suggests Le Camp de Base. I'm also unsure about whether I'll need special boots to go with the bindings or if can just use my own - is there anything I should be asking for/looking out for when hiring?

Other bits:
- a rucksack with straps to aid carrying of skis. I have a normal rucksack, do I really need to buy another one?
- an altimeter. How important is this? Can you hire/borrow them easily?
- a map. Anyone got a used one they'd like to sell?

Finally, I get the impression that BASI courses in Courchevel are based out of 1650/Moriond. Is that the case? If so, I'll look there for accommodation rather than my usual places in La Tania. My Level 2 in Courchevel ran out of Le Praz, but that was organised by New Generation, so might have been different for that reason.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can borrow my Suunto altimeter watch and navigation compass, and I'll see if I can find the map I used when I did the L3 MS in Courchevel. Altimeter was a useful double-check, but not essential. I used my alpine boots with a pair of Marker Duke bindings, but a lighter weight option would have been good on a couple of days when we skinned for a couple of hours at a time. Definitely you'll need a pack with straps (A frame carry is best) as we had two very steep boot packs. Last thing you want to do is get tired on the uphill bit by not having the correct gear, as the course is mentally quite demanding.

Evening lectures were held in 1650. I stayed in a chalet in Le Praz, and drove up each day. Worth checking this with the office, but I'd be surprised if they change the arrangements for the lecture room.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kieranm, I noticed ski touring equipment for hire in one of the shops while staying in 1650 a couple of years ago, think it was this one: http://www.francis-blanc-courchevel.fr/en/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Le Camp de Base

They are really really good... no need for touring boots on MS but defo useful on EMS as Rob says an altimeter is very handy. I would try to score a pair of skis with marker dukes/barons..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh and don't get the waterproof maps basi recommend they are crap as they don't stay folded. better to get a normal map and decent waterproof pouch. I have lots of this rubbish you can borrow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I cannot stress highly enough to get out on the touring gear prior to the course.

If you just rock up you could well have a miserable time and be a liability to the group.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, agreed, even if just learning how to do kick turns and putting skins on and off
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow, interesting point. I was originally concerned about my lack of experience but others I've spoken to have said that I'd be fine showing up with no touring history and the techniques needed would be taught on the course. Given that I don't have any of the equipment, I'm not sure how I would be able to try it out beforehand.

Quote:

even if just learning how to do kick turns and putting skins on and off

@skimottaret, would any of this be of wide enough interest that you'd consider putting on a group session covering it at Hemel this autumn? If not suitable for a group session, I'd be happy to arrange a private lesson, assuming Hemel would be a suitable venue.

Thanks for the offer of borrowing a map, and also to @rob@rar for the offer of an altimeter - very kind of you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You should be able to pick up uphill technic during the course - my first ever experience touring was during the 3-day avalanche course and lack of previous skinning experience wasn't a big issue. But what will be very useful is to learn your equipment before the course. How your bindings system works, how the clipping system on your skins work, set the clip on skins so that when time comes to remove them you won't spend 30 minutes fiddling with the clip - if you make it too tight it might be not so easy to unclip with cold fingers. If you make it to loose your skins might come off. Which ever skis you will be using, it's better if they are not recently waxed - skins won't stick as well. There will be a few people doing the course and it's very likely that all of them will have different systems, despite general similarities the won't be the same, so if no-one knows how his particular system works lot of time might be wasted as it won't be possible to show it to just one person with the rest following instructions. Even your instructor probably doesn't have to be familiar with all bindings that are out there at the moment, so it's important to take time and learn them. If you are getting ski crampons the same applies - learn how fit them to your bindings before the course, and how to remove them as well. Though I guess in January it's unlikely they will be needed. If you end up getting technical setup like Dynafit it might be beneficial to ski on it (without skinning) a few times whether on the piste or indoors, while uphill is generally not particularly complicated, downhill sensation will be different, so get used to it to avoid surprises. You are probably a better skier than I anyway, but even very good skiers admit that it takes some getting used to. Also very important even if you get touring boots that are properly fitted to apply something for blisters, like compeed, on your ankle bones. Getting blisters can make you a real liability and skiing won't be much fun.
And yes, a back pack should be adapted for ski touring - back panel access is very helpful, ski carry straps are essential.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@never summer, that would all apply if I owned the equipment, but I'll be renting it in resort so no chance to get familiar with it before the course. I get the impression, as you say, that there are lots of different binding systems. Part of my question is whether I should be looking to hire a particular type, perhaps because it is more common or easier to use?

On balance it sounds like I'm better off trying to get a setup that I can use with my existing downhill boots to avoid problems with fit. I generally have pretty robust and easy feet, and not bothered by blisters, but I'll go prepared just in case.

I'll keep a look out for a second hand rucksack suitable for touring.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kieranm, I have a sack you could borrow for the week along with other stuff you may need. Defo stick with your alpine boots and hire dukes or equivalent. I don't want to overcook the preparation as most people will be never evers and new to touring you are fit and should be fine. I did no prep and in hindsite wish I had done a touch as it would have made the week more enjoyable. (snapping a basket off on the first run and having to skin up and pole out though 3' fresh was tiring) having a mare putting on crampons in deep snow wasn't fun either and having skins come loose was annoying etc.... nothing a little of practice wouldn't sort.

Let me have a think about a session but doubt enough interest to do a clinic but a private would be possible. I would defer to our coach Lisa who has completed the L4 EMS as well as MS and is much better and more knowledgeable on touring than I. ....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @skimottaret, that all sounds great. Let me know what you think would be best re session at Hemel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kieranm, AbD did his last year and I don't think he had done much/any touring beforehand. Have you considered adding something like Dukes to an existing pair of skis you already own?? I have Dukes on my off piste skis, I've only used them twice for touring but it has got me into stuff that wouldn't have been possible without skins and touring bindings
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kieranm, @skimottaret, I bought a tonne of touring gear that I haven't tried out at all yet. I'm a way off doing MS but if you were to spend some time in Hemel just playing with the gear I'd like to join you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dukes/Barons are common but might be heavy, Fritschi's and Marker Tours are lighter, they are also common and also allow you to use your normal boots and in this case there won't be any difference on the downhill compared to normal skiing, just take care not to get blisters on the up. None of the systems is easier/harder to use than another, they are all similar, just not exactly identical. All you need to know is how to switch modes from climb to ski and from ski to climb, how to adjust the height of the heel piece on a climb. Even if you rent it on a day of your course you can familiarise yourself with equipment in the shop - they normally show how bindings work when you rent the skis. Just unroll the skins when they hand them to you to see if the clip has to be adjusted - it's something better to do in a warm shop than outside on a mountain, particularly in January.
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, you'd be very welcome to join! I'll keep you in the loop with any arrangements.

@never summer, thanks again - knowing what to ask is half the battle, so this is all very helpful.

@kitenski, nice idea, but I only have one pair of skis (plus an old pair I use for teaching on the training slope) so don't really have anything suitable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy