Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soul 7's enough ski for Japan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per the title really - are they wide enough?

Never skied in Japan so have no benchmark, but have been skiing my Souls for a couple of years in Europe as a single ski quiver. Now planning a 3 week trip to Japan in 2016 and concerned they may not let me get the most out of the trip. Appreciate I could get by on narrower skis, but how much will I be compromised by something just over 100mm underfoot? Will probably be doing a bit of sidecountry and some skinning here and there, but not outright touring.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice light ski. Should be great in the trees. Enjoy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice light powder, width isn't as big an issue as over here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally anything under 120mm (or really 130) and you're missing out. The snow is so light you're buried and choking in it anyway, so you may aswell bring all the suurf you can.

Not that you'll struggle on 100mm skis, but the fun factor and surf goes WAY up over 120mm. In my experience.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-07-15 16:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr P used his Soul 7s on our two trips last season and this one. Obviously he's no gnarly ski dude (just a middle aged bloke with moderate ski ambitions-and in fact he skis the girly version of the skis as they were cheaper but no actual difference in build), but he seemed to have a perfectly good time on them nipping in and out of the trees!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
Personally anything under 120mm (or really 130) and you're missing out. The snow is light you're buried in it anyway, so you may aswell bring all the suurf you can.

Not that you'll struggle on 100m skis, but the fun factor and surf goes WAY up over 120mm. In my experience.

So you're saying that a possible trip to Japan is an acceptable excuse to keep my Liberty Genomes? (141)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flaming wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Personally anything under 120mm (or really 130) and you're missing out. The snow is light you're buried in it anyway, so you may aswell bring all the suurf you can.

Not that you'll struggle on 100m skis, but the fun factor and surf goes WAY up over 120mm. In my experience.

So you're saying that a possible trip to Japan is an acceptable excuse to keep my Liberty Genomes? (141)

Hell yeah! To the point that when I was there BD Tours actually had a couple of pairs for rental!

But then, what could possible be an acceptable reason to get rid of them?!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
flaming wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Hell yeah! To the point that when I was there BD Tours actually had a couple of pairs for rental!

But then, what could possible be an acceptable reason to get rid of them?!

The guilty feeling I got looking at them in the loft last year when I knew they'd rather be playing on the feet of some seasonaire. Felt like I needed to set them free!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used K2 hardside (98 mm under foot) - took them because was envisaging more skinning than we actually did - and had no problems at all skiing wise on a 10 day tour in fantastic conditions but kind of agree with clarky999 unless you are more of an old school powder skier who has never used the wide/big rocker skis which you find out there for rent (seem to recall armada jjs being around a lot).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dashed, want some VERY cheap 124mm????? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I took my Genomes and Double Helix's (121 U/F) and spent most time on the Double Helix's because I found the G's dragged on most of the shallower pitches where as the DH's got float on most everything.
Also had a day out on a set of DPS lotus spoons (120 U/F) which I borrowed off a Sherman in the group as he preferred his wailer 112RPs...the spoons were fun.
The RP's are almost identical to the soul 7s in dimensions but differ in the mohasive rocker and are a tad stiffer (But lets face it they are just the older Rossi S7 in party clothes). If you aren't heavy you'll be OK on the Rossi's on all but truly huge days however as the aphorism goes.. go big or go home.

My feeling on anything over 120 U/F is that it is better to move away from the double rocker and get with an inverse camber, this gives much better float but is a challenging beast on anything other than POW.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 26-07-15 2:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used Soul 7's for my Japan trip in January 2015 and they were perfect in all the deep snow and not to shabby on piste when I had to use them. BTW Ski's are really cheap in the ski district in Tokyo. I checked out the price of Soul 7's on my way back and with bindings they were 50% of what you would pay in London. I keep kicking myself that I didn't buy a pair as the ones I took were hired and I didn't have any luggage restrictions on the way back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy