Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oz en Oisans / Tignes Les Brevieres

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks...

Been a while since I was last on here... Hope everyone is well Smile

Thinking of heading out to Oz en Oisans next season and wondered if anyone had been there at all...? I've skim read the 1 review I could find on here, however, it was by a beginner (not that there is anything wrong with that) and I'd like, if poss, some info form maybe some more seasoned folk...

Main questions are of course, what's the village like? Are the return runs prone to being icy in the afternoon (thinking of NY or Feb half term)?, Does the village itself get a lot of snow? and is there 'any' kind of nightlife here????

RE the last question, I'm not after Morzine or Meribel central, but a decent bar to chill in with a good atmosphere and music would be nice for that 4-6pm time slot Smile

Thx in advance folks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 30-06-15 14:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've skied down there when staying in AdH. But stayed in Oz in the summer. It's pretty small with only a couple of shops, restaurants and bars. There is a Dutch bar that even in the summer looked like it might be a little lively, but that looked like it would be the only place (happy to be corrected).

The runs down to Oz are pretty nice, it's very accessible for anyone who has done a couple of weeks skiing.

There are some on here who are regular visitors who will be able to help more.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a TR from there December 2013 http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2422054&highlight=ozenoisans#2422054

I've stayed there 3 times. To answer your specific questions. The home runs aren't icy. Fairly standard and very pleasant red runs. This is not a station where you would feel the need to download in the bubble.

The village gets plenty of snow. See pics in my TR above. The home runs are snow cannoned.

I wouldn't be the person to ask about nightlife. There are definitely a small number of bars and restaurants. I have been in the Potee and it was a nice place.

It is one of my favourite places.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, Thx for this... Sounds like you had fun Smile It is really hard to find smaller villages, in big areas, that have a decent bar or 2 to chill out in... I guess the case of 'small family village' and '1 or 2 lively bars' simply don't go together...

Still looks a nice place to visit though, but perhaps we need to venture closer to ADH as I know we will want the option of at least 1 or 2 decent drinking establishments Smile

Thx again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is a list of bars and restaurants open in the winter:

http://www.oz-en-oisans.com/en/hiver/restaurants-et-bars?f[0]=im_field_critere_sitra%3A66&f[1]=im_field_critere_sitra%3A75

If it is 1 or 2 you after I think you would be OK as it lists 6 but if you want a bit more choice then yes you would have to stay in ADH itself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineAddict wrote:
Hi folks...

Been a while since I was last on here... Hope everyone is well Smile

Thinking of heading out to Oz en Oisans next season and wondered if anyone had been there at all...? I've skim read the 1 review I could find on here, however, it was by a beginner (not that there is anything wrong with that) and I'd like, if poss, some info form maybe some more seasoned folk...

Main questions are of course, what's the village like? Are the return runs prone to being icy in the afternoon (thinking of NY or Feb half term)?, Does the village itself get a lot of snow? and is there 'any' kind of nightlife here????

RE the last question, I'm not after Morzine or Meribel central, but a decent bar to chill in with a good atmosphere and music would be nice for that 4-6pm time slot Smile

Thx in advance folks

We own a place out there and have been going for the last 9/10 years.

The village is small and has a pedestrianised high street. It has a fairly well stocked supermarket, a bakery, and the usual array of ski shops. There are a couple of restaurants: the Ferme (q smart - good food); and the Poutran (pizza etc). There are two decent bars: the Potee and the Causerie (which also does food). Both usually busy - but not music venues - and are populated by tourists, instructors and just about everyone else who`s about.

I`m keen on the village - though if I had to label it I would describe it as `family` orientated. There are no nightclubs.

Return runs. Basically a couple of reds. Tend to be ok but can get a bit chopped and/or icy (esp. L`Olmet) in the deep winter; slushy and nasty at Easter. Can also get busy at the end of the day. Downloading is easy and I quite often do it (to the scorn of my children).

Access to the slopes is excellent. The position of the village allows you to take a lift (Poutran) straight up to the slopes above ADH; alternatively, you can take the Alpette lift which allows access to the Montfrais/Vaujany sector. Queues are pretty minimal except at ski school time (and even then they`re not too bad).

Snow in village is variable. This year not so much - other years has been very good. That said, we have always been able to ski at least one route back to the village.

All in all - a lovely village, very friendly, family orientated, excellent access to the slopes but limited nightlife.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We nearly stayed here this January but ended up going to Alpe d'Huez instead due to cheaper transfers. Oz seems to get good reviews unless you like to party all night - it's all apparently convenient for the slopes, and the mountain(ish) restaurant up a little slope to skier's right of the Alpette gondola station was one of the best places.

It's in a great place for accessing the whole ski area thanks to the two gondolas leaving in different directions. The red back to resort from the Alpe d'Huez side was scraped and hard when we visited (though we were unlucky with conditions generally). The one back from the Vaujany side has a sunnier aspect and was much better, with lovely frozen waterfalls down the side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thx all for this... Just need the chalet owners to actually respond to their emails and we might get somewhere Smile Thx again folks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guys... Any ideas if this place is still open...

http://www.oz-en-oisans.com/en/restaurants-et-bars-hiver/ozzie-bar

Seems little info about it and seems quite a decent place, but no info past a couple of seasons ago...????
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A translated tripadvisor review from January 2015 for the Hotel but mentions a bar indicates the place is still operating.
Quote:
A 2 star hotel that displays the counter worthy of a very pleasant and clean 3 bedroom, very welcoming and accommodating. A very pleasant restaurant with good products. Dedicace particular for small lunches really very good, with varied choice which has been unanimously among us. Hotel is situated in a small village, much less alive than its big sister the Alpe d Huez. Small bar leads up 1h ground floor of the hotel. Mechanical ski lift 30 m from the hotel. We can only recommend.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1368194-d3914286-Reviews-Le_Hors_Piste-Oz_en_Oisans_Isere_Rhone_Alpes.html

Seem to be posting to their facebook page once a month.

I haven't personally been in there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thx for this... Thing I find bizarre @Layne, is that every mention of the Ozzie bar (which was more what I was interested in) seems to stop in 2013... So I wondered if it was still there, as if it is, and it is as good as what I read, then it pretty much settles our trip plans... I just need 1 bar to sink some beers in... That isn't a typical French bar, devoid of atmosphere...

Thx again Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That was the Dutch bar I mentioned in my earlier post. No idea if it is Dutch, but all the staff seemed Dutch when we were in there the other summer. I've not been in the bar in winter, but they have music playing outside most days n summer even though the village is pretty quiet.

We went in one night at 9pm following the Alpe triathlon and even though they'd stopped serving food they soon rustled up a steak and chips for everyone in our group without any fuss (and some pasta and salad for the veggie).

I have friends going out in a couple of weeks to stay in the same chalet as we have done a few times. I'll ask them if Ozzie's is still open.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just make sure you refer to the Poo Train at every possible opportunity - it's like the law for British tourists or something.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite, Hi dude... Thx for the info... I had word back from the chalet owner, Chilled Chalet, who I have to say has been great with correspondence and info, and they have confirmed that The Ozzie Bar is indeed still open... So mystery solved... Smile

Thx all... just need to now decide if ADH has enough to keep us busy for a whole week... Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If most of the runs are open (and they should be, in Februrary, but may well not be, at New Year), there should be plenty to keep you busy (250km claimed). However when we were there in mid-January this year, about half the runs were closed due to lack of snow, and we were glad to get two days in Les Deux Alpes, which is included in the lift pass. If you were staying in Oz, you'd need a car to do that though - whereas if you're in ADH itself you can go by bus.
ski holidays
Used to be very nice (@ 8-9 years ago). The bar was lively; the restaurant excellent and the hotel v.good.
Things slid and I think that in 2013 the manager scarpered with a load of (hotel) money. Since then it`s been on the market. The bar was still just about operating last season but it was a shadow of its former self. Didn`t know the hotel was open (I note the Tripadvisor reviews stop in Dec 2013). Good if it`s under new management. Was always a friendly place.
snow report
OK, so we have a place 'in place' for Oz en Oisans, but I have had my eyes pulled towards some very lovely places in Tignes Les Brevieres...Whilst I understand that this locality is perhaps the nicest looking part of Tignes and it does have several decent bars there... My main concerns are...

a) The runs back being long and potentially icy at NY time...
b) Having 1 young child in Ski School

For b) the issue being that one parent will need to collect from Ski School at lunch time, so I don't think they'll be able to get that far before having to head back... Is it possible to get them in Ski school up at Tignes Le Lac for example... Is it too far to travel form LB, to be there for 9:00 am???

I am keen for anyone in the know about this place, and the ski school situation to offer any advice please Smile If you had a child in Ski School would you basically write Tignes LB off as a destination to go...????

Thx again folks...
ski holidays
I've stayed in LB pre-kids. Great place. But if I had a child in ski school I wouldn't stay in there. And Tignes itself can be very inhospitable if the weather is against you. On the flip side extremely snowsure. For me though, for your needs, Oz would win hands down.
snow report
@Layne, As much as I really want to go to Tignes, I think you're right and we might have to put the family with child's needs over what we would like... Smile Thx for the advice anyhow...
latest report
There is an ESF in Les Brev - in 3 hours you could get quite a distance and then back. Les Brev is quite hospitable in the worst of weather with tree line runs for all but the absolute beginner (one is the summer road - so if a car can get up most can ski down!). Getting from Les Brev to Le Lac is difficult without a car. Les Boisses has a free navette and is the up and coming village in Tignes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy