Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Acuweather, already a few degrees above others, have just upped their highs for next week in les gets from 11 to 14! They have rain for next Friday, and avg 9 for most of December, vs historical avg of 4. I know they are wrong more than right, but models must be getting milder.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That does not read well Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That said I've never rated accuweather!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Gaza, Accuweather is just the GFS op run with pictures. Not worth bothering with.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A quick scan of various weather websites this morning all lead to the same conclusion. A return of the azores high and a return to much warmer weather for the foreseeable future. They all suggest the possibility of a weak front next weekend but then probably warming again (that's a long way out I know). Hopefully North facing slopes will hold their snow but I fear it now looks a lot like last year!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 29-11-15 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I fear it now looks a lot like last year!!

I think it's a bit early to reach that conclusion; it's still November. It was also too early, of course, for recent whoops of joy and declarations that it was not a bit like last year. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zzz, you are such a pessimist. You'll be telling me the Bec Jaune has run out of beer next.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, I think we're safe...... at least until your arrival!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nothing unusual going on out there bouts of cold and warm weather, seems like normal late autumn in the "new global warmed Alps " to me . The really high resorts will gradually open in early Dec , which they seem to be doing , the main stream resorts will take advantage of any cold weather to make snow , they are , and most resorts will try and offer skiing on the first real week of the season , Xmas .

Watching the models at the moment the jet stream seems to raging just North of the Alps for the next few weeks and I would be amazed if Dec turns out to be a dry month , I'm sure there will be at least a couple of Snowfalls at mid mountain range before my trip at Xmas , I'm relaxed .

I never expect too much ar Xmas and New Year it's far too early and if the snows good it's a Bonus and even Better if there's been enough snow to fill in the off piste for some turns , if it's still poor from late Jan then I worry
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No shortage of precipitation in the UK right now Shocked
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Glencoe/6day/top
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rob Mackley, agree with most of what you say but disagree about xmas week being the first 'real' week of the season. We will already have had 3 weeks of lettings by then. Yet to have a season where people have complained about the on piste snow in December.

For those without kids, and the need to comply with the UK's strict holiday Stasi regulations, then early season, January (which is dead for families), April and early May are probably the best times for season.

Being able to avoid Xmas/new year/half term gives a completely different experience for skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

disagree about xmas week being the first 'real' week of the season

It is in many French resorts, which won't be fully open (or open at all) before then, regardless of snow conditions.

However, I too agree about christmas and new year. People get anxious about "late season" snow in mid March but happily book up for Christmas and New Year which, in historical terms, are much more sketchy, especially if they are interested in off piste.

For me, the best skiing at middling sort of altitudes in France is from the end of the first week of March (when the French holidays end).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

disagree about xmas week being the first 'real' week of the season

Kitzbuhel village council decided in about 1933 or something not to advertise themselves as a winter sports resort as it was too early to be sure of snow...

I appreciate Val T is high... but still... Xmas is the first real seasonal week for most/many places.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions across the Alps are varied at present with a real difference between the northern and southern side of the Alps.

Long range modelling from CFS and the Met Office had been suggesting a stronger likelihood of +NAO through October and Novmeber. And that is what we've had (I'm not saying this means long range forecasts are always going to be right, just noting how it's played out so far this season).

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao_index.html

This tends to mean milder conditions and a tendency for more precipitation on the northern side of the Alps.

ZAMG suggests mild conditions remain likely for December with over 60% likelihood of milder temperatures (compared to average or cold). This starts to drop a little (but not by much) as we head into January and February.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/produkte-und-services/saisonprognose

It doesn't look too much like last season to me at this stage in the northern Alps (parts of Switzerland and Austria have pretty decent cover for now), but we do have quite a mild spell coming up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/9panel/gfs_pres_9panel_eur.gif

Long range on GFS looks like a return to unsettled weather for the 8th / 9th
snow report
Meanwhile...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/scotland-s-weather-heavy-snow-closes-main-routes-1-3961702
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/scotland-traffic/765430/video-footage-shows-car-overturned-a90-sleet-snow-causes-chaos/
ski holidays
Glencoe overnight got 20cm in the valley and 40cm up top.

Not quite enough yet to open up, but it is getting closer:

ski holidays
12zGFS suggest some weak snow showers in the Alps on Friday after some pretty mild weather mid week.

Looking at FI the second week of December starts to show some more interesting options, but obviously that's far too out to take seriously at this point.
ski holidays
We're up for some clutching at straws, @nozawaonsen, wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Yep, I'm taking that seriously Very Happy
ski holidays
@Whitegold, Minging rain is forecast for Tuesday so take your anorak if you're planning on hiking up snowHead
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Looking at FI the second week of December starts to show some more interesting options, but obviously that's far too out to take seriously at this point.

This sounds interesting...
latest report
pam w wrote:

why?
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Glencoe overnight got 20cm in the valley and 40cm up top.

Not quite enough yet to open up, but it is getting closer:

I am so happy.
latest report
because there is a lot of mildness about
snow report
Re straw clutching. Doesn't seem too bad to me on the northern side of the Alps at present for November. Indeed some places looking pretty good. Southern Alps less so.
latest report
Central Scotland on Sunday...

snow conditions
ECM takes it cold from 09/10 December, at the tail end of it's run. Hints of that in GFS too. Otherwise mild and sunny from midweek.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, looks lovely, but where in "Central Scotland"?.
I always thought Pitlochry was the centre of Scotland (middle of the middle bit) - until dad moved up to Blair Atholl Smile
latest report
So Pam's much mildness has hit the French Alps today with the FL around 3000 meters but coupled with clear skies last night which meant an ice/rain crust at mid altitudes and some seriously refrozen pistes. The rain over the weekend didn't seem to transform into huge snow higher up the hill, just a few cms at most. It rained to 1500/1600 meters where I was and this morning there was fresh snow above that altitude, fairly light powder from 1800 meters, but not huge quantities. Positive take on this, it didn't rain much lower down which one local piste service told me would have been a nightmare due to a mix of: thin snowpack, warm ground and rain - it would have made running the piste bashers over the lower slopes problematic. It looks to be mild and sunny through to Friday. Last week it was ski-able to 1000 meters as long as you stuck to fields but I expect that level to be higher by Friday except on ski runs that have been prepared. There's not really enough snow to resist a major onslaught of mild weather. Conditions will progressively turn spring like on south facing slopes with the sun and clear nights.

Belledonne range this morning:

snow report
Unseasonably mild weather for at least the first ten days of December according to this evening's GFS op run.
snow conditions
Raining in St Anton this morning, but snow from the top of the first 'gallery thing' over the pass and still just about snow in Stuben. There's pretty solid amounts of snow from St Christoph up now. Couple of glide avalanches around Alpe Rauz area. No rain in MOntafon, but the snow in the village has melted now.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Unseasonably mild weather for at least the first ten days of December according to this evening's GFS op run.

😰😰 really didn't want to hear this.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

At least it's meant lots more enquiries for places at Val Thorens.
latest report
it could still change 10 days is along time!!!!
ski holidays
@stefoy4me, could do, but the ensembles are pretty tight out to 10 December at present.
latest report
ECM pushing colder air into the eastern Alps from 09 December this evening.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
ECM pushing colder air into the eastern Alps from 09 December this evening.

A bit of hope snowHead
latest report
It's still November folks.. Stay frosty (guess the movie)
latest report
Quote:

It's still November folks.. Stay frosty (guess the movie)

Generation Kill?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy