Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
At present GFS is only really suggesting a couple of mild days before things return to seasonal average albeit that confidence drops in that from 04 December. There should be some good early conditions in many of the places openning this weekend in Switzerland and Austria.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier has been dumping for most of the week. The lifts are opening tomoorow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ECM a bit milder than GFS from 04 December this evening. But too far out to have much confidence either way.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
18z on the other hand goes very cold with a big easterly in FI. Not convinced at this stage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
00z GFS also goes very cold in FI. Both 18z and 00z big outliers though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ECM keeping on a milder path. Substantial difference between the two.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
06z swings back to a milder outlook in FI though still a fair spread from 04 December.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Build the tension, why dont you. Lol
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been keeping a close eye on conditions/forecasts for Tignes and snow-forecast.com appears to be suggesting night-time temps at the lowest lift levels significantly lower than at the mid height lifts, though morning temps are similar. How does that work then?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Inversions
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ECM ends it's run on a rather mild note.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

night-time temps at the lowest lift levels significantly lower than at the mid height lifts, though morning temps are similar. How does that work then?

temperature inversion - in still air, the cold sits at the bottom of the valley. Could be even colder in Bourg St Maurice. There can be several inversions as you drive up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know it is called an inversion, but I was wondering why the inversion only occurs each afternoon/night-time and not during the morning?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was wondering why the inversion only occurs each afternoon/night-time and not during the morning?

It doesn't. I have frequently got in my car up the mountain, in the morning, and driven down through dropping temperatures.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ray Zorro, because the inversion was out partying the night before and had a stinking hangover?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@Ray Zorro, because the inversion was out partying the night before and had a stinking hangover?

There speaks the voice of experience! Laughing
ski holidays
there isn't always an inversion - in low pressure, stormy, unstable sort of weather it doesn't happen. So other factors which change (wind springing up with a front, etc etc) will determine when the inversion starts or stops.

It's interesting driving up (or down) through two separate inversions at different altitudes.

In high pressure times it's often FAR warmer up the mountain than down in the valleys, with freezing fog down there, and the smoke from chimneys just spreading out horizontally. I think that's why places like Grenoble get bad air pollution.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
I know it is called an inversion, but I was wondering why the inversion only occurs each afternoon/night-time and not during the morning?

In fact it's the opposite. Inversions are caused by subsiding air so are generally strongest in the morning before the sun has the chance to heat the ground and subsequently the air above. As the ground warms up thermal mixing occurs and the inversion is often broken, at least in summer. At this time of year however the sun is often not strong enough to heat the ground sufficiently so inversions will often hang around for a long time during anti-cyclonic weather.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I was wondering why the inversion only occurs each afternoon/night-time and not during the morning?

It doesn't. I have frequently got in my car up the mountain, in the morning, and driven down through dropping temperatures.

I remember cycling down col de la madeleine one cold day (notionally not in the winter) and it was a mild 4 degrees at the top and on the way down it got colder instead of warming up and I arrived at a hairpin with my fingers not able to brake properly.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't.

But it does - and that was the reason for my (badly worded) question.

e.g. next Wednesday Lower/Mid and Upper temps are forecasted to be (morning) 5/4/-1 and (evening) -7/2/-3 so not obvious inversion in the morning, but a clear one at night time.
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, You asked why it doesn't occur during the morning. If you were just referring to that very particular morning , rather than mornings in general, the answer will lie in the very particular conditions expected at that spot, that morning. Inversions can be present - or absent - at any time of the day or night and at any time of year, too.
latest report
or perhaps it's just a fairly rubbish weather forecast.... wink
snow report
pam w wrote:

They exist? Really?
ski holidays
I'm not sure the snowforecast.com forecasts necessarily srtand up to that degree of scrutiny.
snow report
Quote:

I'm not sure the snowforecast.com forecasts necessarily srtand up to that degree of scrutiny.

Laughing
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
pam w wrote:

They exist? Really?

I once shared a house with a 'journalist' in Cheltenham. We spent many a drunken evening making up the horoscope as that was one of her jobs to do. Sounds a bit like some of the forecasts Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
GFS versus ECM.

They can't both be right.

http://youtube.com/v/JZ9KtuRHXRc

The last few GFS runs have shown building support for a cold spell next weekend in the Alps with snow to low levels. After warmer weather Tuesday to Thursday cold weather would push down on Friday and low pressure would develop in the Mediterranean on Saturday.

However, ECM has shown no sign of this and is sticking to a mild weekend with high pressure ruling the roost.

But which one will come out on top?
ski holidays
My money is still on snow for Dec 4.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Here are some ensembles.

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Bad Gastein.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Hemsedal.

Eastern Pyrenees.
ski holidays
GFS, GFS, GFS
ski holidays
Oh yes
latest report
GFS into the ring in 15 minutes time.
snow conditions
Look folks don't worry. My zx81 GFS simulator predicted snow on 4th December back in July and I just ran the 15:00 run again and it it still stands by that.

emwmarine wrote:
Imagine there will be snow in November that will stick around at higher altitudes only, then some more in December, Jan, Feb, Mar and April by when it will start melting and only be useful at high altitudes going into May.

The first really big dump will be early this year, due to Elle Ningoin, on Friday 4th December. Around 50cm is forecast for the 3Vs.
snow conditions
@emwmarine, but isn't that already wrong since it has already snowed heavily in much of the Alps?
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen,

Not completely wrong as it predicted snow in November. and a really big dump is a relative and subjective term. Very Happy
latest report
@emwmarine, no. I can define exactly a really big dump and send you pictures if you like. Shock
snow report
Be careful @under a new name, it's curry night here.
snow conditions
12z GFS isn't backing up the 06z.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Ray Zorro, You asked why it doesn't occur during the morning. If you were just referring to that very particular morning , rather than mornings in general, the answer will lie in the very particular conditions expected at that spot, that morning. Inversions can be present - or absent - at any time of the day or night and at any time of year, too.

No, I asked about mornings in the plural and gave the specific example of one particular day. It is forecasted for several days next week.

But, thanks for attempting to answer, I'm happy to leave it there.
snow report
Met Office snow warnings issued for Scotland.

"Outbreaks of rain will turn to snow in areas just to the north of the Central Belt during Sunday morning, persisting into the afternoon in places. This may bring a few cm of snow even to low levels, while 10-15 cm could accumulate over some high ground areas.In other areas a mix of wintry showers persists through the daytime on Sunday, becoming heavier and more widespread, and spreading south during the evening and nighttime period, leading to further accumulating snow in places, as well as an enhanced risk of ice into Monday morning.

Please be aware of the need to take extra care and allow more time for travel, but also keep up to date with any further updates to this warning - the southern limit of the more widespread snow is particularly uncertain.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Wintry showers will continue across much of Scotland on Sunday and overnight into Monday. To complicate matters, an area of low pressure is expected to track across southern Scotland, with the risk of more widespread sleet or snow to the north of the low centre for a few hours. The southern limit of this wintry threat is liable to some adjustment as there's going to be a very sharp cut off between the cold air and much milder air in southern Scotland. For this reason, this warning will very likely be updated on Sunday morning. On current evidence, the most likely areas to be affected by this more widespread snow would be Argyll, west Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire, Fife, Perth & Kinross and Angus."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy