Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
currently raining in Chamonix, I can see the snow line, looks like its about 2500m....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
06z reinforces the suggestion that the snow over the next few days will be swiftly followed up by further snowfall Wednesday through to the end of the week after a brief pause on Tuesday.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddiethebus wrote:
currently raining in Chamonix, I can see the snow line, looks like its about 2500m....

Ditto here in Zermatt. I am soaking from my morning walk. Looks like the snow line is even higher than 2500m at present. However I remain optimistic the line will drop given forecast temperatures.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
could do with the blue pushing a bit further west
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, on Wednesday Bergfex and J2ski were showing a cumulative amount over Friday, Saturday and Sunday well north of 80cm. By today that has dropped to 46cm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raining pretty hard in VT according to the webcams.

I suspect around midnight the snow line will drop under 2,000 and by this time tomorrow most of the resorts will have a decent covering.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaza, but, but, but... oh well...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nozawaonsen, yes I know. Dont read too much in to what they say. But I'm an optimist! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been pounding down in the Tarentaise all morning. No idea where the snow-line is, can't see a thing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well - it is snowing at Attelas - 2727m - http://panorama.simwatch.ch/ And judging from photos - looks as if about 400m lower as well..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And it is raining at Savoleyeres - 2354m - so actually I reckon 2500m for current snow line is about right
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd wrote:
Been pounding down in the Tarentaise all morning. No idea where the snow-line is, can't see a thing.
Looking at the Les Arcs webcams I'd say the snowline is 2500m, at midday on Friday. Reasonable covering of snow already at 2600m at the top of the Arcabulle lift. Forecast is for the FL to drop, perhaps down to valley level, by the end of the weekend.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is certainly white stuff falling on Bellevarde.

But very dreich looking at resort level.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think what has happened so far is broadly in line with predictions in the last 2 or 3 days. Rain at first at resort level in the EK. Dusting on Toviere which I think is about 2700. Ditto Bellevarde. Most of the snow appears to be due overnight
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing hard on the Schilthorn (2970m), temp -2.
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

must have put in a few more zx81 chips into their GFS supercomputer

Titter.

But I wonder how many in the audience have any idea what you're talking about (or had ever lovingly fondled one...)?

I remember it as having a horrific built in keyboard which was a nightmare to use. Spectrum wasn't much better with the rubber keys. Remember keying in program code for games from magazine listings, then the game not working cos you missed or mispelt something!! And loading games from the cassette tapes, oh what days they were!!! "manic miner" was one of my all time favourite games ever. ""Sorry for being off topic, couldn't resist""

Sorry, I bought my zx81 as it was powerful enough to run a power station. It said so in the Sunday Times adverts. Running a few simple weather random number calculators should be easy for it.

10 A=25 + RAND NUMBER
15 resort = RAND String "Val Thorens", "paradiski", "Les Antons"
20 For i = 20 to 1 step -1
30 print "predicted snow depth in resort ": A "Inches of snow predicted in ": i " days time"
40 A = A - 3
50 next i

There that's GFS written for you.
snow report
@Jonpim, thanks looks like the hotel has moved to a trendy moving webcam, not a static image... Now fixed Smile

@jbob, Can do, is there an existing site with a variety of webcams I can get URLs from for static images?
ski holidays
pissing it down in Cham right now. 8C. and just about every bar is closed, even the ones that usually don't.
ski holidays
The cold air may reach the alps soon. It is showing 4C here is East Lothian at the moment.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
jimmybog wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

must have put in a few more zx81 chips into their GFS supercomputer

Titter.

But I wonder how many in the audience have any idea what you're talking about (or had ever lovingly fondled one...)?

I remember it as having a horrific built in keyboard which was a nightmare to use. Spectrum wasn't much better with the rubber keys. Remember keying in program code for games from magazine listings, then the game not working cos you missed or mispelt something!! And loading games from the cassette tapes, oh what days they were!!! "manic miner" was one of my all time favourite games ever. ""Sorry for being off topic, couldn't resist""

Sorry, I bought my zx81 as it was powerful enough to run a power station. It said so in the Sunday Times adverts. Running a few simple weather random number calculators should be easy for it.

10 A=25 + RAND NUMBER
15 resort = RAND String "Val Thorens", "paradiski", "Les Antons"
20 For i = 20 to 1 step -1
30 print "predicted snow depth in resort ": A "Inches of snow predicted in ": i " days time"
40 A = A - 3
50 next i

There that's GFS written for you.

I've still got my Nascom in the garage.
I must admit I was a bit miffed when Sinclair moved in to make a cheap computer, after buying the Nascom kit for about £500 then spending about 40 hours soldering the chips into the mother board.
I did get 16k or ram with mine though as there was a global shortage of 1k ram chips at the time.
I dont think I ever played any games on it.
But there is still time .. I'll just have to get myself a cassette player.
snow report
Hissing down here in the Chiemgau and the temperatures are heading rapidly south snowHead snowHead snowHead The whole of the alpine area is covered with blue in the precipitation maps too! I think this is the FI run but it is fun to hope, pray and imagine wink

http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/wetter/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144
latest report
Update from SLF.

"Observed weather

Excluding the furthermost southern regions, skies were heavily overcast for the most part, accompanied by snowfall. The snowfall level was at approximately 2300 m.

Fresh snow

Above approximately 2500 m the following amounts of fresh fallen snow have been registered:

- Northern Alpine Ridge and westernmost parts of Lower Valais: 15 to 30 cm
- Remaining parts of Valais, northern Ticino, remaining parts of northern Grisons: 5 to 15 cm
- Further to the south, less or none at all

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, +4 °C

Wind

On the northern flank of the Alps and in the Valais, strong to storm strength winds, in Grisons and in Ticino, generally moderate velocity winds, from westerly directions.
Weather forecast through

Saturday, 21.11.2015

In northern regions and in the Valais, heavy snowfall is anticipated. The snowfall level is expected to swiftly drop further during the course of Friday night, reaching low lying areas. During the day on Saturday, bright intervals are expected only in southern regions.

Fresh snow

Between Friday evening and Saturday evening above approximately 2300 m, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow are anticipated:

- North of an imaginary Rhine-Rhone line, Lower Valais: 40 to 60 cm;
- In the furthermost western and the northern parts of Lower Valais, as well as in the Vaud Alps, as much as 80 cm
- Southern Upper Valais, Bedrettotal, remaining parts of northern
- Grisons, northern Lower Engadine: 20 to 40 cm
- further to the south, significantly less

At 1500 m, approximately half these indicated amounts of snowfall are anticipated."
ski holidays
@kitenski, brilliant. Some info here.

http://www.chamonix.com/road-conditions,10,en.html
Road conditions

http://www.chamonet.com/webcams/
Web cams

http://www.chamonix.com/lifts,88,en.html
Lifts
46 Lat. 7 long.
latest report
Quote:

North of an imaginary Rhine-Rhone line

Puzzled
ski holidays
Well, it's still raining in Chamonix...haven't been up to check out snow line... 2C outside apparently
latest report
well its snowing in Guildford!
snow report
Just had massive snow flakes in South Cambridgeshire. Not settling though.
snow report
And in London! Taking my planks and going to Primrose Hill to begin the season Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now settling at 1,150
snow conditions
Settling at 1565m here in the Chiemgau Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Photos aren't mine - taken this morning - original article here http://www.skipass.com/news/126299-le-point-neige-de-10h.html

Tignes

Val Thorens

Serre Chevalier

Les Duex Alpes
[/url]
snow conditions

Wengen
snow conditions
Not as heavy as forecast but a good start. If next weeks snow doesn't disappear from the forecasts as we get closer to the date then it should be a great start to the season next weekend.
snow report
Great to see all those pictures and reports from around the place. Lovely picture of Serre Chevalier. But it's supposed to be snowing, not sunny! snowHead
snow conditions
It's sunny now though Very Happy
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
Not as heavy as forecast...

Hmmm. So how much was forecast by whom for where and how much fell where?
ski holidays
10-20 cms forecast Cham, not arrived with us but saw one car with ~10cms
ski holidays
LWD Tirol blog

http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co.at/2015/11/kurzfristig-lawinengefahr-im-westen-des.html

- Cold front brought 30-50cm snow at altitude in west of North Tirol.
- Risks of avalanches from drifted snow on steep slopes at altitude.
- Snow on steep grassy slopes may cause snow slides.
snow report
pic from Meribel on Facebook

snow conditions
Looks like further snow showers in the northern Alps over the weekend.

Saturday

1500z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=S&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=21#model
1900z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=S&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=24#model

Sunday

0600z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=S&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=36#model
1200z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=S&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=42#model

And then Wednesday into Thursday looks like more substantial snowfall (perhaps more in the Eastern Alps).

FI looked pretty snowy into early December.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy