Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
stefoy4me wrote:
seems to be a variation on predication of the FL...1700-2300m......which is very wide. hope its the former and sooner than predicted otherwise it will be a non event for all but the highest pistes

For les Menuires, Bergfex reckon 25cm (upper) on Friday with an FL of 1980m (not far above station) but then with the FL on saturday falling to 650m, 53cm upper, 17cm lower.

Doesn't seem too bad to me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark1863 wrote:
Quote:

Freezing level doesn't drop below 2500 metres until most of the precipitation has fallen.

That is one big worry about the snowfalls predicted. High resorts going to benefit much more than lower ones methinks. Webcam gazing come the weekend.

That will be a pain. Last year Val Thorens got crammed with people being bussed up from the rest of the 3vs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An important point to consider here is that freezing levels and rain/snow limits are NOT the same and are frequently confused. The exact discrepancy depends on various factors including wind, humidity and precipitation intensity, but, if freezing levels are forecast to be 2500m (for eg) then you can reasonably expect the rain/snow limit to be several hundred meters lower, perhaps close to 2000m. Indeed in arctic maritime air masses (with steep lapse rate) the discrepancy can be much bigger - for eg you might have FLs of 1500m but snow showers as low as 800m! I have even seen differences of 1000m under evaporation cooling conditions (which requires heavy precipitation and little or no wind).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@weathertoski, interesting, that's certainly my experience, does it matter if the temperatures are falling or rising?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For the northern French alps Meteo France sees the "limite pluie/neige" at 2300/2400m on Friday and still above 2000m into early Saturday but then falling rapidly to 200m. But they also see the precipitation tailing off after a rain deluge on Friday and into early Saturday, with moderate snow during much of Saturday but then rather little on Sunday/Monday. Most areas should be looking white by Monday but then....?

It's a start though, and it's not even the end of November. Snowmaking will begin if they think it will remain reasonably cold, I suppose. Could be a lot worse. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it was...............only last year!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arrivée brutale d'un froid humide en fin de semaine

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/30777062-arrivee-brutale-d-un-froid-humide-en-fin-de-semaine

"Sur les reliefs, les hauteurs de neige pourraient atteindre plusieurs dizaines de centimètres dès la moyenne montagne (600 à 1000 m). Un vent violent se lèvera en Méditerranée, particulièrement vers le Roussillon et en Corse, où les 100 km/h en pointe devraient souvent être dépassés."

Sounds stormy.

The coming cold blast looks like being followed by more seasonal temperatures for the end of November.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It will also be interesting to see what affect the wind might have in "redistributing" the snow that does fall. We may find that exposed slopes at altitude may remain pretty bare. I am taking an optimistic view that when I arrive for the NTPSBA in Tignes I will have a few more pistes than the glacier ones to ski on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here is the meteogramm for 6.5 / 45.5 which is the closest point to Val Thorens.

It seems to support other peoples concerns about a big slushy dump on the afternoon of the 20th and morning of 21st, followed by very low temperatures with low level snow on the afternoon of the 21st and morning of the 22nd, with a another flurry around the 25th.

It's showing temperatures staying low through to the end of the month so fingers crossed the snow all stays.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure all the concerns about snowing coming in warm are that valid...

Ok rain would suck, but the ideal scenario would be a bunch of super wet heavy impenetrable dense snow to cover all the rocks (and stick well to what is below), then 20-30cms of progressively lighter stuff on top to actually be skiing in.

And it looks like that may well play out...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, agreed.

@chriswg, I reckon that chart shows a snow line of around 1900m as the snow arrives on Friday dropping rapidly on Saturday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1900m is not so bad..........prefer lower of course, but some snow better than no snow.

should put down a good base for the season for most resorts
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

From Swiss Meteo this morning:
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ZAMG has the snowline around 2000m in Austria on Friday dropping to 1000-1500m overnight then down to 400-900m Saturday.

30-50cm new snow above 2000m up to 70cm in the Arlberg.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/news/am-wochenende-kalt-und-im-bergland-winterlich
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This year the models appear to be working much better. I was expecting the snow to start disappearing through the week down to a 2cm dusting but the original forecast seem to have been more accurate.

They must have put in a few more zx81 chips into their GFS supercomputer.
snow conditions
Meteo France bringing down their pluie/neige forecasts a bit.... snowHead
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
From Swiss Meteo this morning:
They're forecasting earthquakes? Cool!
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:

That is one big worry about the snowfalls predicted. High resorts going to benefit much more than lower ones methinks. Webcam gazing come the weekend.

That will be a pain. Last year Val Thorens got crammed with people being bussed up from the rest of the 3vs.

Hi
When did it get bad? We were at Menuires over christmas and it seemed pretty quiet at VT considering the lack elsewhere. I guess the snow on saturday (27/12) will have made new year week pretty usable most places (Praz sur Arly was pretty damn good on the sunday!) so shouldn't have been a problem. I can't remember how the rest of the season for the 3V panned out after that, but the end of January in Mayrhofen, March in PDS and April in Tignes which were all great for us.
snow report
Bad is probably an overstatement.

We were there before christmas and it's usually completely empty there during the week at that time. No hint of queues. Last year there were a few small queues on occasion on account of people being brought there.

I'm being completely unreasonable of course.
ski holidays
Quote:

must have put in a few more zx81 chips into their GFS supercomputer

Titter.

But I wonder how many in the audience have any idea what you're talking about (or had ever lovingly fondled one...)?
snow conditions
I had one - first "computer" wink
ski holidays
3D monster maze ...... After you had tried 4 times to load it.
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
This year the models appear to be working much better. I was expecting the snow to start disappearing through the week down to a 2cm dusting but the original forecast seem to have been more accurate.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just heard nozawaonsen's facepalm from here!
ski holidays
Could one of you fine folks be so kind as to post a wiggly lines chart for Morzine? It's for some skiing I have planned...
snow report
http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.php?lat=46&lon=7
ski holidays
@duncansarmy, I put this together as a one stop shop mostly for my personal use

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=morzine
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just heard nozawaonsen's facepalm from here!

I knew what I was posting. I did it to cheer him up on a dull, wet and rainy Thursday in Paris. Laughing Laughing
latest report
This should stay on page one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snow forecasts for places such as Avoriaz and EK have more than halved in the last 12 hours. Chamonix is still showing a significant dump.
snow report
@kitenski, thanks man, bookmarked Smile
latest report
@kitenski, can you do one for Chamonix. Laughing
latest report
kitenski, thank you for reminding me about your super site.
Excellent info.
But just now, any La Plagne Fans will get a dramatic Good News-Bad News experience, possibly causing deep psychocological damage.
Your first webcam shows a fair amount of snow - could be result of initial snowfall.
But the date is actually April 26!
The second webcam shows reality.
But a reality that will hopefully change today snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

a reality that will hopefully change today

or maybe tomorrow.....
ski holidays
@Gaza, all we can do is wait and see now. GFS for EK consistently has been showing modest/small snowfall though resorts not far away forecast for megadump. But much of what falls will be rain at lower altitudes, the cold seems to be forecast to come in after heaviest of precipitation. It would be a concern if 20 cm snow falls on warm ground followed by very cold weather- this won't be long transforming to faceted crystals and could impact off-piste in affected areas once again for season
snow report
@Gaza, who has been showing anything significant (which isn't at this time of year anyway)? Chamonix Meteo has been forecasting nothing very much below 2,000m for days now.
latest report
3v's still looking ok on 00Z, snow at altitude today, with most snow tomorrow down to below 1400m
snow report
Already a sprinkling of snow at the top of La Plagne
(and good to see the Grand Rochette camera on line at last)
ski holidays
Just started snowing on the top of Saas Fee

http://www.saas-fee.ch/en/live/webcams/
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

must have put in a few more zx81 chips into their GFS supercomputer

Titter.

But I wonder how many in the audience have any idea what you're talking about (or had ever lovingly fondled one...)?

I remember it as having a horrific built in keyboard which was a nightmare to use. Spectrum wasn't much better with the rubber keys. Remember keying in program code for games from magazine listings, then the game not working cos you missed or mispelt something!! And loading games from the cassette tapes, oh what days they were!!! "manic miner" was one of my all time favourite games ever. ""Sorry for being off topic, couldn't resist""
latest report
SLF's update for Switzerland.

Forecast through Friday

On Friday, snowfall is anticipated in northern regions. Only in the furthermost southern regions will it be quite sunny. The snowfall level will be at approximately 2000 m.

By Friday evening, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow are anticipated above approximately 2400 m:

- regions north of an imaginary Rhine-Rhone line, western Lower Valais: 15 to 30 cm;
- in the furthermost western regions as much as 40 cm
- remaining parts of Valais, northern Ticino, remaining parts of northern and central Grisons, Lower Engadine: 5 to 15 cm
- less in the other regions, or no snow at all

The westerly winds will be blowing at storm to gale strength in northern regions and in general at high altitude. The new fallen snow will be intensely transported. Snowdrift accumulations are expected to form even far removed from ridgelines.

Outlook

On Friday night, the snowfall level is expected to drop rapidly down to low lying areas. In northern regions and in the Valais, approximately 50 cm of additional snowfall is anticipated by Saturday evening. Only in the furthermost southern regions will it be partly sunny. Winds will swiftly diminish and continue blowing only at moderate to strong velocity from westerly to northwesterly directions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy