Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Snow level about 1700m for Alpe D'Huez.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hate to type this as every time I do seems to stop, but snow flakes starting to be a little better here at 1400 - temps +2 - must be grim up the hill today though but at least no rain compared to what I've been reading in the likes of Les Gets / Morzine etc

Lets hope we all wake up to a substantial amount tomorrow morning!

Further Edit flakes coming down the size of feathers now !!!!!

See them on the Cam link below - just in case you were not aware!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For info - snow-line in the Tarentaise today has been around 1500-1600m, dropping down now to about 1100m.

That's to say, it's been on/off snow rain in resort in Sainte Foy at 1550m (all snow on the hill), and it was snowing down to below La Thuile as I drove down the road an hour or so ago!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have not seen flakes this size for a while, like the old days, although a little smaller in size but now denser. Earlier I described it as looked like a pillow fight with the pillow bursting and feathers bursting out!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, nice!!!

Not snowing here yet, but some weather is definitely rolling in!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, yep, it was like that in Sainte Foy today!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back to the fine stuff Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow in Val Despair this afternoon:

http://www.valdisere.com/webcams/la-daille/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@leggyblonde, thanks for the tip - didn't attempt skiing today as it was very very wet and windy in the Massif Central.

We drove round to Super Besse from Mont Dore for a gander and the rain has all but destroyed some of the lower runs. A bit of snow forecast overnight now and it was starting to snow at town level about 4pm hopefully it's enough to make it worth venturing out tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has been snowing heavily in Selva since 3 pm, just lightening a little now. Great snow today, still not anywhere near enough cover for off piste imo. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, why are you upset about the fine stuff? My experience is that big fat flakes are usually wet flakes. They build up quickly but produce heavy snow. The nice powder generally seems to fall in smaller bits.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, simply because we need a good meter plus (I'd take 50cm) dump and you're not going to get that with the light snow falls we've had to endure the past couple of seasons!

And my "experience" is that I also know what we need for solid coverage off piste - give me a heavy dump now and light top ups to follow so those tree stumps get well and truly buried!

It take's ages to get a decent coverage, even 25cm in the valley and then that can disappear so fast (rain warm winds etc) which is what's been happening all over the Alps as you know!

The heavy snow will get lighter as the temps drop anyway.

Even the Serre FB were extolling the fall earlier #‎EnDirect‬ bombardé par de MEGA gros ‪#‎flocons‬ !!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Similar story in Aravis. La clusaz has taken a beating, up here in croix fry (Manigod) the wet snow that has fallen all day has caused it's problems but holding up well. Snow now falling heavily and forecast most of tonight with colder temperatures so should see a great improvement. I hope the same can be said down the road as la clusaz was looking pretty grim.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, yes sure, if you're going for quantity, the big lumps are good and are not so leg breaking once pisted.

Snowing reasonably well in Les Saisies now, and MF has it snowing down to really low altitude today and tomorrow. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bit random, but I did a quick search for average french resort height
http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/france/statistics.html

out of 196 resorts, the base elevation ranges from 550m (St Maurice sur Moselle) to 2300 (VT)
average 1347m

top elevation ranges 970m (Bussang) to 3600 (LDA)
average 2138
snow report
Just to add to @stevomcd's report. We've had a terrific day in St Foy. A bit sleety down below resort level (we're in the first chalets) at lunch time, but up the mountain it's been snowing all afternoon. Hardly anyone about so we pretty much had our own snowy playground. Was very sticky coming into resort, but only for the last 100m or so.

At around 5pm the hugest flakes I've ever seen started falling at 1,500m and the snow accumulated very quickly. Just looked out the window and it's still going.

snow report
Had the same outbreak of 'flocons grands' in Tignes at 1700, the problem is now the wind. Battening down the hatches up here and I fear most of our snow will be down in St F tomorrow morning@stevomcd, and@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, - I hope you enjoy it. I suspect we will be in for a slow start tomorrow after many explosives have been expended.
ski holidays
Nothing happening here in Aravis. The Local forecast can't seem to make its mind up. It has been clear since a flurry at about 7pm but at least the rain has stopped. The wind is getting up and now it says snow from 2am when it was set to snow straight through (Forecast has changed several times the last few hours)
snow report
Bit of a better time lapse this time round - still not what I was hoping for but shows potential - plus loads of sparrow activity (though a tad out of focus though gets better) at first Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/t9FjcWyw0lo

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-02-16 23:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I like the way the bushes bend down under their load of snow
ski holidays
@pam w,

few years ago after a big dump.....

And I think a few days later ski touring from chez moi over the bushes!

latest report
All that lovely snow Crying or Very sad

And just come off the phone from my mate who is going up in the lift to do the "commission" run in La Grave, that's when six or so guides / pisteurs go up in the lift early, and then ski down the two main routes, Chancel and Vallons and then report back to the Mairie and lift operator who then make a decision on whether to open the mountain or not.

He said just the drive down from his house to La Grave was hard.

The Lautaret is closed so that rules out any groups coming over from LG to ski here (Monetier trees) if LG is closed. Though he reckons Lautaret will open in a couple of hours, so if La Meije is shut he'll be over this way.
ski holidays
Much happier this morning. Winter appears to be here. It's actually below zero with a decent amount of fresh and still coming. 👌
snow report
light snow in Geneva this morning, compared to heavy rain and 9 degrees yesterday!
ski holidays
Around 10-15 cm in Valmeinier at 1800m and still lightly snowing....
latest report
Les Contamines got 30cm overnight. Snow on the roads in the village at 1150m. It's -8 at 1880m. Forecast has moved even snowier and colder. Looking epic for half term. We arrive Friday night and looks like snow will be falling. Hopefully we avoid the crowds so the roads will not be jammed with parisiens on summer tyres
snow conditions
anyone reporting from Kitzbuhel area? Forecast reduced to about 15cm, but cams still showing snow falling
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
anyone reporting from Kitzbuhel area? Forecast reduced to about 15cm, but cams still showing snow falling

Just in case you haven't seen this thread ....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120385&start=80
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have thanks, but everyone here is going on about France Smile
snow report
Mulling over last minute trip, skiing Fri to Sun. At the moment aiming for Aosta valley, prob Courmayeur (per wepowder). Anyone any thoughts?

Edit: As in will it be worth it, destination? I like prevarication almost as much as skiing
snow report
@pam w, below was going through my mind so much this morning when we were skiing some of the steep tree lines in Monetier this morning, and lower down the feckin tree stumps rolling eyes

Weathercam wrote:
.............give me a heavy dump now and light top ups to follow so those tree stumps get well and truly buried.............

So we still need a good 30- 40 cm to cover the rotters wink

That said we did find a lot of fresh Cool

Pics in the Serre thread
latest report
Quote:

everyone here is going on about France

not really. Nozawaonson gives lots of updates and thoughts for Austria and Switzerland etc too.
snow conditions
@pam w, 28/29 out of 32 posts on this page of the thread are France related (I'm not going to count every page), I know in general there is more of a spread but recently I'm getting alot of new post notifications and it will either be @Weathercam, talking about Serre Chevalier and its environs, or someone else talking about the French alps.

This issue was brought up recently and I tend to agree with @buchanan101, the majority of people in this thread are posting about current conditions/previous snowfall in France, rather than the general "Weather Outlook" throughout all skiing areas. I don't really mind as I tend to read alot of threads even ones I have no reason to read but it is getting a little too much.
ski holidays
AthersT wrote:
@pam w, 28/29 out of 32 posts on this page of the thread are France related (I'm not going to count every page), I know in general there is more of a spread but recently I'm getting alot of new post notifications and it will either be @Weathercam, talking about Serre Chevalier and its environs, or someone else talking about the French alps.

This issue was brought up recently and I tend to agree with @buchanan101, the majority of people in this thread are posting about current conditions/previous snowfall in France, rather than the general "Weather Outlook" throughout all skiing areas. I don't really mind as I tend to read alot of threads even ones I have no reason to read but it is getting a little too much.

Thanks @AthersT that is what I meant... Perhaps many of those posts should be on a separate forum about France, or specific resorts.
latest report
@buchanan101, I partly agree. I think it is helpful for people to post brief reports of CURRENT conditions from all over (after all, that's what it's all about - what's the weather doing? Which is often a bit different from the forecast). But lengthy personal reports and anecdotes, especially of snowfall in the past, don't belong here.
snow report
12Z looking good, especially for the Dolomites

ski holidays
@AthersT, @buchanan101, some nice looking fresh snow at Reiteralm today judging by the amusing little videos on this web site (not mine so I can't give a guarantee to a certain knobHead that they have not been photoshopped wink ): http://www.ski-reiteralm.at/de/winter

I also saw some nice pictures on Eva-Maria Brem's web site showing similar conditions at the bottom of the Finale Grande as she packed up after practicing GS there from about 07:30 this morning
snow report
As a guilty person in the past I think I can say this.
This is the outlook thread not the lookout thread
Can we contain our excitment at some snow falling, and pop that in the various resort threads and keep this for forecasts.
ski holidays
Live snow report and forecast Bruson style

http://youtube.com/v/xklm0hrwR_E
ski holidays
Trans Jurassien cross country ski race has been canceled for only the 3rd time in its history after 1993 and 2007 due to lack of snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy