Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 2 days sliding, and was surprised at how well the slopes held up after the torrential downpour, must have been 100mm in 2 days. First I took pictures of the same spots at 1300m, first one on thurs, 50cm powder, second one sat, 25cm of crunch.

There was clear damage to slopes at village level (1200), large soggy patches, but overall I was amazed at how well all the rain was absorbed higher up. Had plenty of good runs through powder at 1600-1700m, although it's slower going now, and the pistes are stickier. But not bad.

Some nice shots yesterday evening as the rain stopped about 3pm, and sun popped out. Way above expectations.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been following this thread over the last few weeks, thanks for all the info.

First day skiing in La Plagne today. Have to say, conditions are pretty damn good. Haven't seen any rain and it has been snowing pretty much all yesterday and some bits today. The lower areas like Montchavin and Les Coches have browny coloured slushy snow but it's still ski-able.

Forecast is for non stop snow over the next week, would have preferred a couple of days of sun to go and enjoy the upper altitudes with some visibility. No chance of that at the moment!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KJT123, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead and thanks for the info. Nothing like first-hand information from those who are there. It has always been one of the strengths of the board.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
langball wrote:
Just back from 2 days sliding, and was surprised at how well the slopes held up after the torrential downpour, must have been 100mm in 2 days. First I took pictures of the same spots at 1300m, first one on thurs, 50cm powder, second one sat, 25cm of crunch.

There was clear damage to slopes at village level (1200), large soggy patches, but overall I was amazed at how well all the rain was absorbed higher up. Had plenty of good runs through powder at 1600-1700m, although it's slower going now, and the pistes are stickier. But not bad.

Some nice shots yesterday evening as the rain stopped about 3pm, and sun popped out. Way above expectations.

[url=https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/snowheads-personal-galleries/p34362-img-3503.html]
[/url]

Can I ask langball where this might be as in resort and country?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's not true that everything above 1500m is in great shape. Plenty of it isn't even open, let alone in great shape. And to suggest that snowfall so far this season has been better than "modest" sounds like an ad for Crystal Holidays.

Megeve has 50 runs closed and plenty of Les Saisies red and black runs are closed (above 1500m) for lack of snow. Them's the facts.

It will change next week but let's be realistic. So far, except for the highest altitudes, this season has had poor snow conditions. And there are loads of French resorts with a lot of skiing below 2000m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SLF evening update for Switzerland. Much of the SW at Level 4.

http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/index_EN

And their thoughts on the weather (my bold).

"Observed weather on Sunday, 10.1.2016

During the night, there was additional snowfall in the Engadine. Subsequently, skies cleared up in all regions of the Swiss Alps. During the daytime, skies in western and northern regions were overcast and above approximately 1400 to 1800 m there was intermittent snowfall. In Grisons and in Ticino, skies were variably cloudy but it for the most part remained dry.

Fresh snow

Between Saturday evening and Sunday evening above approximately 2000 m, the following amounts of new fallen snow were registered:

Chablais, Vaud and Fribourg Alps, western Bernese Alps, northern Grisons: 10 to 20 cm
Engadine and the valleys bordering to the south: 5 to 15 cm
in other regions, just a few centimeters

Weather forecast through Monday, 11.1.2016

Skies will frequently be heavily overcast, accompanied by snowfall. During the afternoon in particular, bright intervals are possible. The snowfall level is expected to ascend to approximately 1700 m by tomorrow morning, subsequently drop down again towards 1000 m.

Fresh snow

By Sunday evening above approximately 1800 m, the following amounts of new fallen snow are expected.

western part of Lower Valais, northern sector of the Alpine Ridge from Chablais as far as the Grimsel region, Main Alpine Ridge from Lower Valais into the Monte Rosa region, as well as from Lukmanier Pass into the Bernina region: 30 to 50 cm, from place to place as much as 70 cm;
remaining sectors of the northern flank of the Alps, remaining parts of Valais, remaining parts of central Grisons, remain parts of the central sector of the southern flank of the Alps: 15 to 30 cm, from place to place as much as 40 cm;
northern Grisons and Lower Engadine: less than 10 cm;
Jura: 10 to 20 cm above approximately 1200 m.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, between -4°C in western regions and -2°C in eastern and southern regions.

Wind

Winds will shift from southwesterly to westerly and be blowing at strong to storm strength on the northern flank of the Alps, in other regions at moderate to strong velocity.

Outlook through Wednesday, 13.1.2016

Tuesday

Skies will be variably cloudy, accompanied by snow showers. From the Valais over the Gotthard region as far as northern Grisons, an additional 20 to 40 cm of fresh fallen snow is possible. In southern regions, next to no additional snowfall is anticipated. Winds will continue to blow at strong velocity. The avalanche danger is not expected to change significantly.

Wednesday

In northern regions, conditions will be instable, accompanied by snow showers. In southern regions it will be quite sunny. The avalanche danger is expected to incrementally diminish, particularly in the regions where there has been participation."
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
It's not true that everything above 1500m is in great shape. Plenty of it isn't even open, let alone in great shape. And to suggest that snowfall so far this season has been better than "modest" sounds like an ad for Crystal Holidays.

Weren't you both talking about the snow fall last week. Not the snowfall so far this season?

For what it's worth snowfall last week at altitude was not modest. Rainfall lower down wasn't modest either. The snowfall that fell to lower levels before it shifted to rain was probably more modest. Snowfall so far this season has certainly been modest.

And on the subject of modesty...

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
but higher up is good? Listening to Steve Angus' periscope yesterday he said 1m fresh on the Val D'Isere glacier, and that was before last night and todays snow up there!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, maybe the Tarentaise has been doing better than the Beaufortain, but I can assure you that everything here is 100% open, even, for example, the Ecudets runs at La Rosiere, which are south-facing runs dropping down as low as 1100m. You could happily ski in my back garden at 900m. MeteoFrance is assessing the "complete cover" altitudes as 700m on all aspects. They are also reporting that we are now back to (at least) normal snow-depths for the time of year. I've not been able to go up the hill for a few days due to a stinking cold and having to study for an exam, but my Dad was up today and called it the best skiing conditions he's ever seen.

Yes, there's been some heavy rain, but there was so much new snow beforehand that there is still deep snow lying all the way to the valley. This was followed-up by a full day of new snow yesterday, with the snow/rain limit hovering around 1500m all day.

The only lift/piste closures around here are due to avalanche risk - i.e. too MUCH snow!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
langball wrote:

There was clear damage to slopes at village level (1200), large soggy patches, but overall I was amazed at how well all the rain was absorbed higher up.

Been following various reports and forecasts with interest and this comment made me wonder, while obviously not ideal, if the snow pack getting a soaking followed by the forecasted drop in temps might actually make for a good base for the rest of the season?

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Round my way, the snow that fell last week is exactly the same as that which has fallen this season. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stupid question, but I only started skiing again 6 years ago after not having been since a kid. I have never skied in conditions like I am heading out too, good snow cover, full cannon coverage, but temperatures of -20! What the heck is it like skiing in those kind of temperatures?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@scotspikey, the same, just wear an extra layer or two.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
is the snow not frozen solid Puzzled

Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sneachta2013, les gets, france

@Garioch, yep that was mentioned in Henrys avalanche report, heavy rain soaked pistes that refreeze can help a weak base
snow conditions
@scotspikey, Only if there is very high water content, i.e the snow melts and refreezes. As there will be quite a bit falling you should have lovely snow conditions on piste as the low temperatures will not allow the snow to melt. The wind is the real nasty bug-ger and can be very unfavourable to ski/board in.
ski holidays
Soft slushy snow hurts less when you fall! -20 slopes are like concrete.

Edit: Sorry if you fall not when Wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 10-01-16 19:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Cheers guys! Only 6 more days! I've packed already. Embarassed
latest report
LOTS of avalanche control all day in Ischgl today, producing BIG slides on everything that they controlled (talking over 20 slide paths here, on different aspects, all with big results). Pistes actually are very good - other than the bottom half of the home run (chaos was even worse than usual as it was closed form approx 3:30 to 3:45 due to avalanche control, so a huge horde built up during the wait, all charging off at the same time).

Some nice powder (<15cms) on the few slopes high enough to have solid cover but mellow enough to be safe.

Crazy amounts of snow transport.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 10-01-16 19:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@scotspikey, its fine just layer up but the difference between -5 & -20 is largely indiscernible unless its very windy. Perhaps wear a snood to at least cover your face on exposed chairs. The coldest I've skied in was -27 and it was ok really.
snow report
It was raining/snowing pretty much non-stop from Thursday. No idea where the snow line is. Last time I skied was Thursday and it was snowing all the way down to Chable, but snow turned into rain later in the afternoon. Lot of snow at the village level was washed by rain. There must be tons of snow higher up, but I suspect this snow is quite heavy
snow conditions
@stevomcd, there are low runs open in the Espace Diamant too but many of those had the artificial snow base to start with. There are a lot of steeper runs here which were simply grass and would probably have been able to open without the rain deluge. I've never known any of our runs closed for avalanche risk.
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:

Only if it has partially melted and then re-frozen, and even then the piste-bashers can help smooth things out a bit. But if it snows when it's cold and stays cold the snow just stays nice. In fact, the colder the better if you want to ski off-piste.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Megeve has 50 runs closed

It's also got 200 open. It's not a disaster.
latest report
No, never said it was a disaster, just wanting to counter the daft claim that meters of snow had fallen to low altitudes round Megeve. I think the ratio of open runs (75%) is similar here , unsurprisingly as its next door and the terrain is similar.
snow report
next weekend is shaping up to be the best of the season so far.....looks like the alps will get 1-2m this week, and then the sun will come out Cool
snow conditions
scotspikey wrote:

Embarassed

It's not like Glenshee y'know Toofy Grin
snow conditions
langball wrote:
next weekend is shaping up to be the best of the season so far.....looks like the alps will get 1-2m this week, and then the sun will come out Cool

Handy, I hope you've booked in clear roads up to Les Arc for Saturday afternoon Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Piemonster, thanks to all the forecasting above am going to beat the rush and pick up some chains tomorow
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
No, never said it was a disaster, just wanting to counter the daft claim that meters of snow had fallen to low altitudes round Megeve.

Sure, but I can see why the poster who said it had that impression - last week it was very snowy down at low levels and actually I know that our guests leaving here last week were thinking they'd scored a great week to come and I don't think they were calculating piste ratios etc. Since the rain came - whilst skiing in the rain is rarely the greatest fun - 80% of runs open in a 445km area is not so bad. Looking forward to more snow though, of course.
ski holidays
@langball, hope Les Gets gets some good conditions. Had a terrific hog roast at La Grande Ourse last year. Good memories of the place.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, that's a great spot, haven't been up mont chery yet this year, love the red down the back. Come back sometime.
ski holidays
@langball, With the temps due to drop towards the end of the week do you think the bottom of the Pleney at Morzine will be open by the weekend? I'd assume that even without the snow thats forecasted they would have the cannons on?
latest report
@no_snow_in_swindon, don't confuse me with someone who knows anything.....but it sure looks that way...all the forecasts are for snow down to 400-500m

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 10-01-16 20:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@langball, haha thanks. Just thought I'd ask as your location is local! Smile
We arrive next Sunday and am loving the forecast for the latter part of the week.

I've been reading through this thread for the past couple of weeks and and very impressed with the quality of the knowledge on here. I still have to check snow-forecast to get a laymans view though! (Hangs head in shame!)
latest report
ECM keeps temperatures below average out until 20 January (though looks like they might warm a little thereafter).

The GFS op takes it back to seasonal average on 19 Jan and then hovers there or a bit under for the rest of the run (although the op is one of the milder solutions).
snow conditions
Well, still pouring with rain but this evening's Meteo Chamonix forecast sees temps dropping tomorrow with snow to low levels by Tuesday and 65 - 95 cms of snow at 1800m by the end of Tuesday. A lull on Wednesday then more cold snow Thursday. No numbers on that yet.
ski holidays
@scotspikey, If it really is -20C then mittens rather than gloves might be a good shout.
snow report
pam w wrote:
No, never said it was a disaster, just wanting to counter the daft claim that meters of snow had fallen to low altitudes round Megeve. I think the ratio of open runs (75%) is similar here , unsurprisingly as its next door and the terrain is similar.

Yes, the Alps is currently nearing peak-coldness and peak-Winter. Pretty much every trail and every lift above 500m from east to west should be open. But they are not.

Almost 50% of the lifts in Val d' Isere were closed today. Around 40% closed in St Anton. About 20% closed in Verbier.

Having said that, there is some huge snow coming next week. Things are improving.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Almost 50% of the lifts in Val d' Isere were closed today.
Why? Lack of snow? Or high avalanche risk?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy