Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts - language

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Ski Welt (specifically Ellmau) on Saturday, but I was just wondering if its worth brushing up on any german at all (i'm a total novice really..), just how English orientated are these places??!

THanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddyr, You shouldn't have any problem at all. I have been to Austria quite a few times now and speak no German at all. Never had any worries. I have been to that area twice - Hopfgarten and the instructors, restaurant workers etc usually have enough English. Lots of menus are available in English, or have an English translation.

I am sure that they would appreciate you more if you made an effort in their language though, so any knowledge is a useful thing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddyr, ja, nein, danke, bitter - that should cover you for the week. They all speak english very well, and gramatically better than most people here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eddyr, not sure about the lingo, we are off to Austria on Saturday too, not sure which resort though as its a allocation on arrival, still would be good for Snowheads to meet up if we end up in Welt. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnHill, don't forget "grusse gott" - very important polite hello in Austria. Also "sprechen Sie Englische?" and "Ich spreche kein Deutsch" (I speak hardly any German). Guten Tag - good day or hello. Guten morgen - good morning: guten nachmittag - good afternoon: guten abend - good evening. That really should be enough to be considered very helpful and polite.
eddyr, Get these + John's suggestions & you're fine. ps: in German you pronounce every letter. Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski,
Quote:

"grusse gott"

Literally Greet God. Agreed, it's useful but not as useful as "Servus" which can replace all your "Guten everythings"

Quote:

"sprechen Sie Englische?"
I left that out cos the answer is nearly always "ja"

Quote:

"Ich spreche kein Deutsch"
I left that out cos they take one look at you and know darn well that you can't.

If in doubt speak loud English in a Basil Fawlty German accent and wave your arms around.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowbird, Yeah, not heard of any others turning up there so it would be novel Smile

*digs out the fawlty towers videos from the loft...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eddyr,

You should make an effort if only out of courtsey. German is very correct grammtically but they will probably laugh if you b***s it up... Laughing
And they will speak very good english even if you address them in german....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I thought I should make some effort (I know a few bits from School!), just wasn't sure quite how much!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to agree with all of the above, the Austrians are more than willing to speak English, and most of them do so very well.

Unlike in Fawlty Towers, don't mention the war! Confused Laughing An OAP friend of ours inadvertantly did the Nazi salute, and was very embarrassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, have you seen the logo on Columbia gloves? I know it is the same on the jackets, but in raised-up embroidery on the gloves it looks just like a swastika! Bev tells me The Sound of Music is still banned in Austria as it shows Austrians a bit too enthusiastic about the Anschluss (sp?). Seems hard to believe the Austrians gave up drinking and partying long enough to have a go at world domination!

On the other side of the coin, it is really only us Brits that can't get over it. (The war that is.) Our popular press keep it going, especially when we play the Germans at football. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

did the Nazi salute
... a criminal offence in Germany! Don't know about Austria but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same. Anyway, if you can't get over the war, can I recommend doing a day trip to the Eagles Nest at Berchtesgarten - not too far from the likes of Kitz, Soll etc. Fascinating place.

We keep bringing up the war. I guess I'm at fault for mentioning the Basil Fawlty in here.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy