Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, is the old Albona II lift going away? The new map suggests it is, but that other sketch shows it still in place?

@Toadman, Yes, the Kappl connection is next. Then what.... maybe they'll link Kappl with Ischgl. And then Ischgl will link up with Galtur and Gaschurn, the Schruns and Sonnekopf will link up, then Stuben will link to Sonnenkopf too... As far as I know there are no plans to do any this and it will be very difficult to get permission these days, but in theory it could happen one day.

I long for the old days. Even the queues for the old Galzigbahn on a powder day had a benefit - so long as you got up early you knew you'd have a few good runs before the slopes got busy. And it was quite good fun in the lines when it was just ski bums and all the tourists were still in bed Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EDIT: @sah haha great minds!

@Toadman, I'm not saying it will happen, should happen, and definitely not saying I'd want it to happen, but... If you had enough money and ambition and didn't mind plonking noisy machinery into fairly pristine mountains, it would in theory be possible to link Stuben to Sonnenkopf to Silvretta Montafon to Galtür ski areas.

Red lines are where lifts could go to link into existing lift systems - granted some of them (Galtür to Ischgl, Stuben to Sonnenkopf) would be pretty damn ambitious and probably better split into two lifts and connecting pistes, but are theoretically possible if you don't worry about the environment and money(!!).

Kappl - Rendl link is already planned... So you could *theoretically* link the Arlberg well fairly well with Montafon and Ischgl/Paznaunertal to create what would almost certainly be the best ski resort in the world.

You could also easily link Gargellen and Klösters too (Gargellen connecting back into the St Gallenkirk/Gaschurn lifts)...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 19-02-16 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Toadman, On the new Piste/Lift Map (posted few posts up) you can see Kappl (Paznauntal) in the bottom left hand corner.

That will be connected to Rendl in the next couple of years

This graphic shows the Rendl -Kappl but also possible linkup to Ischgl

Verbinding Ski Arlberg - Kappl - Silvretta Arena from wintersport.nl
https://vimeo.com/147732741

In preparation for the Rendl-Kappl the current Kappl Diasbahn Gondola will be renewed/upgraded this summer (unconfirmed) to a 10 man Gondola.

There are a number of designs of the new Base Station this is one of them

http://www.jaegerdesign.at/projekt31.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, Happy

Never even thought about Kloesters too...

Nightmare!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah wrote:
@stanton, is the old Albona II lift going away? The new map suggests it is, but that other sketch shows it still in place?

Albona ll & Albona l 2 man chairlifts will be taken out. A new modern Chairlift will be built from Stuben upto the halfway point of the new Albona Gondola.

The Albona part of this project will not start/built until season 2017/2018 earliest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BTW. Its snowing in Zurs right now Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, snwoing in Montafon too wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe 10cm at the top of the mountain. Much less lower down.... more a "sugar-coating" hiding icy moguls. It still beats working!

Let's see what next week brings. This week, esp Thurs, was insane-busy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Regarding the new Flexenbahn, we are considering St. Anton for a trip next year but the accommodation we are looking at is the Nasserian part. While its great you don't need a bus to link into the rest of Zurs etc it looks like its going to be a bit of a slog every morning / afternoon up and down lifts if you want to go over to Zurs i.e. an hour + the new lift? each way is just to open up the Zurs landscape.

I'm used to resorts where its fairly easy to open up the terrain (Val T, Tignes, Alpe D'huez etc) Does staying in the far right hand side of St Anton (from the piste map view) mean you'll end up doing the same runs every day to get across?

(We are fairly good snowboarders so can cover distance fairly easily - just hard to judge a resort from the maps)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Rob_Quads, it's a bit of a slog but being in Nasserein doesn't actually add much to the journey. You'd take the Nassereinbahn, then a short run to Zamermoosbahn, then Arlenmahderbahn and down to Alpe Rauz where the lift is. If you were closer to the Galzigbahn you'd take that, then the Osthangbahn then the Arlenmahderbahn. Same number of lifts, possibly slightly quicker from Galzig but there's not a lot in it.

Getting back home there's one extra short lift to get you from the main home run back over to the Nasserein home run, but it is a very short lift.

St Anton is not Tignes, it's not a purpose built eye sore, it's a village that existed long before eccentric Brits thought it would be fun to go skiing so it's not built around skiing convenience in the way a place like Tignes is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't found St Anton particularly pretty this week. Lech has nicer feel. I'm staying near Stuben a nice but small village and perhaps with best access to both areas before/after the new lifts. The skiing from St Anton to Lech will be long and to Warth even more so! The ski convenience in the Arlberg is not actually that good. Zurs to Lech and reverse by ski are long winded compared to the bus although interesting in parts. You would likely ski the same runs each visit if going over. More likely you'd still use some buses. The trip also involves walking whether using the bus or not. The area is nice and worth seeing everything but this is not always easy. I'd also suggest that nearby Montafon which I visited last week has just as much interest Wink but is obviously little known in comparison. The Arlberg has a lot of positives but also some surprising negatives, at least from my perspective.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Millom, I agree, it's not really convenient at all. If you are in St Anton and want a good day out in Lech then the bus is worth doing even when the new lifts go in. Warth is worth the trip for powder maybe, a bit less powder-stress than St Anton, but to be honest if I'm staying in St Anton I'm personally not going to be skiing Warth.

Even with all the new lifts if you want miles of pistes and "never ski the same run twice" type skiing then the Arlberg is probably not for you, IMHO.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sah wrote:
@Rob_Quads, it's a bit of a slog but being in Nasserein doesn't actually add much to the journey. You'd take the Nassereinbahn, then a short run to Zamermoosbahn, then Arlenmahderbahn and down to Alpe Rauz where the lift is. If you were closer to the Galzigbahn you'd take that, then the Osthangbahn then the Arlenmahderbahn. Same number of lifts, possibly slightly quicker from Galzig but there's not a lot in it.

Getting back home there's one extra short lift to get you from the main home run back over to the Nasserein home run, but it is a very short lift.

St Anton is not Tignes, it's not a purpose built eye sore, it's a village that existed long before eccentric Brits thought it would be fun to go skiing so it's not built around skiing convenience in the way a place like Tignes is.

I'd use Tanzboden rather than Osthangbahn, quicker especially as you don't have the flattish bit under the StC bahn to pole/skate along. Can sometimes be quicker getting to Rauz from Nasserein end as opposed to Galzig owing to lift queues.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, I keep forgetting that Tanzboden is now a mega chair lift and not a slow T-bar Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow, Thursday was a dream day. I had a couple of friends from Innsbruck come to ski and had to meet them so passed on joining the other guys at Malfontal, my friend's friend was coincidentally taking a guided group to do Malfontal so after getting a thumbs up on conditions we headed over to Malfontal to catch up the other two already hiking their way up.

View from the top

Let's go this way

Our first tracks

Second tracks

Run out to Pettnau was rollercoaster fun too, just a couple of tiny gaps, then taxi back to town..... THEN....
ski holidays
@Windskisurf, nice pics, thanks for sharing Happy

(hope you weren't boot-packing in a nice skin track though wink )
snow conditions
On the tax ride back we got the opportunity to go up the Valluga top gondola, BONUS, and over the back side to Zurs, wow, we jumped on that straight away.

Great view from the top with the valley cloud.

First thought we would be going the West face but at the top plans changed and ended up being advised to go North face.

Let's go this way

First part had to slide carefully down as little rocky under feet and you don't want to fall in this spot, at all!!

View back to the top where we came down

Run out the valley to Zurs

Back to Zurs and bus back, WOW what a day.

We even finished the day off with going back side of stuben down to that lonely restaurant and taxi back.... Smile
snow conditions
@Windskisurf, most people would be happy to those 3 runs in a week (or even a season), let alone in one day. Epic!
snow report
@sah, Yes i know Laughing I've always wanted to do Valluga-Zurs but as you know you need a guide or at least get on the gondola with one to get your skis up there plus the conditions need to be right. In the taxi after Malfontal i thought that was an epic day, then to get the news to go up and over valluga, i thought I was dreaming... Smile
ski holidays
Quote:
Now let's hope Kappl link gets stopped in its tracks.....
What's the problem/issue with that Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Just got the train in from innsbruck, went there last night for a party, no snow falling in innsbruck or even on the train up but... as soon as we hit St Anton, snow falling quite heavily, and still snowing a lot now in town. Rest day for me, tomorrow or Monday should be good. NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
All these new transit lifts are for the one week tourists who spend more time on lifts than actually skiing.

There is more than enough on/off piste skiing in St Anton
alone without having to ride lifts (waste of ski time) to Zurs ,Warth,Kappl etc.

Next season we will see thousands of people
Heading over to Lech & Zurs which will leave (hopefully) St Anton empty Happy
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Where to start...

1) Environmental impact of lifts and increased skier traffic.
2) Additional skier traffic from Kappl in to Rendl and the rest of St Anton (unlikely to balance out with skiers going the other way as Kappl offers nothing for skiers in St Anton)
3) Some of the best off piste skiing in the area will now be marked runs and therefore busy, tracked out etc.
4) For those who ski off piste the lifts add zero extra skiing, all the terrain is already accessible now by traversing and short hikes. For those who ski on piste there will be ski routes but no new pistes.
5) Cost will be reflected in the lift passes prices.

My personally view: we, as skiers or tourists in general have already had a huge impact on the environment, nowhere more so than the Alps and I don't think we have the right to keep doing it. Expansion of lifts in the Alps has to stop at some point, otherwise we destroy the very thing we come there for: peace, travel in remote areas, beautiful scenery, even a bit of solitude on some days.
snow conditions
@sah,

Agreed

Folk only have to look at the Malfontal fotos posted above to realise why offpiste/touring skiers do not want this luft to Kappl.

Same also applies to the 10man Gondola up to
Albona. It will attract far more people. Classic offpiste runs to Langen &Verwal/Maroi i fear will become regular itinery routes.

If people want ski circuses with autobahn piste skiing then you got France for that.
latest report
Snowing heavily now. Started around lunchtime. Valluga and Schindler closed early afternoon due to Avi risk.

Maybe 20cm or a bit more on parts of Bachseite. Close to 10cm on the steps of our apartment in Nassereinerstraße.
ski holidays
Quote:

If people want ski circuses with autobahn piste skiing then you got France for that.

Exactly that; or Ski Welt, or Saalbach (ask the locals in Fieberbrunn what they think of the new connection there, it's done nothing for them).

I'm not criticising this kind of skiing, it's what a lot of people like and enjoy and there's a good business in it obviously, but there has to be room for "traditional" St Anton style skiing too. All the new lifts will no doubt bring in more €€€ in the near future, but if they destroy the soul of the place then they become just another commodity ski resort judged in uploads-per-hour and km of piste.
latest report
@sah,
I remember years 90's ago talking to some locals who were adament St Anton would never go the Ischgl way. i.e 4 5 star Hotels, grooming over & building lifts up every possible peak.

There business model was tradition .

Unfortunatly they have drifted into the circus.

I can only see one winner from this & that is the Taxi drivers in Kappl, Warth,Scrocken. (There going to build a cable car up from Scrovken)
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Snowing heavily now. Started around lunchtime. Valluga and Schindler closed early afternoon due to Avi risk

Not from Avi risk.

Closed because of High Winds over 70km/hr

Its going to be windy all next week in combination with a Fohn (warm front) which will increase the Avi risk quite substantially.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Big Comb Over

An old article.

Stop the Brutal Grooming.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov/02/news/os-snow2/2
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Snowing heavily now. Started around lunchtime. Valluga and Schindler closed early afternoon due to Avi risk

Not from Avi risk.

Closed because of High Winds over 70km/hr

Its going to be windy all next week in combination with a Fohn (warm front) which will increase the Avi risk quite substantially.
latest report
I am sure you know better, Stanton; I am only going by what the board outside Galzig was stating. rolling eyes
snow report
Heading to St Anton tomorrow for a week. Hoping I may be able to get a good day of off piste in towards the end of the week - forecasts all over the place at the moment. Does anyone know if the piste to powder and powder club open groups tend to get fully booked well in advance?
ski holidays
Quote:

Exactly that; or Ski Welt, or Saalbach (ask the locals in Fieberbrunn what they think of the new connection there, it's done nothing for them).

Comments, Espri?
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
Heading to St Anton tomorrow for a week. Hoping I may be able to get a good day of off piste in towards the end of the week - forecasts all over the place at the moment. Does anyone know if the piste to powder and powder club open groups tend to get fully booked well in advance?

It's still holiday week for parts of Europe, and given the amount of snow that has fallen (and is still falling) today, I'd expect them to get booked up pretty rapidly.
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
I am sure you know better, Stanton; I am only going by what the board outside Galzig was stating. rolling eyes

If there's 70kmh winds and snow then there'll be avy risk too Skullie

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 20-02-16 19:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@sah,
I remember years 90's ago talking to some locals who were adament St Anton would never go the Ischgl way. i.e 4 5 star Hotels, grooming over & building lifts up every possible peak.

There business model was tradition .

Unfortunatly they have drifted into the circus.

I can only see one winner from this & that is the Taxi drivers in Kappl, Warth,Scrocken. (There going to build a cable car up from Scrovken)

Yep, I remember that kind of attitude too. Locals told me when I first arrived that if the Feldherrenhugl t-bar was too tough then I should ski somewhere else:-) (it was a beast) And the Schindler chair lift really was only for good skiers, the run out at the top was steeper and bumpier than Kandahar was.

Maybe we should get some of those Stop the Brutal Grooming bumper stickers made up. Or should it be "Stoppen Sie die brutale Pistenraupen" Happy
snow report
From the StA weather report:

On Saturday night, an active warm front will cross our regions, bringing heavy precipitation. The snow line will rise towards a level of 2000 meters until Sunday morning. Sunday itself will bring continuously windy and spring-like mild weather conditions. Remains of clouds are persistently expected, they just slowly clear the way for some sunny spells. Bright sunshine and continuously spring-like mild temperatures are expected starting next week. According to the latest weather models, a following cold front will not only significantly weaken, but also be suspended for a longer period of time, consequently the return of winter is uncertain, if it will return then slowly.

It is sounding very "drippy" outside our window at the moment. Not good. Something more more common to me in Falls Creek (Australian ski area) than here.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, seems to be a pattern this season, great snow fall then way too warm Sad

Still, better a drippy day in the mountains than a day at work etc.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

See those lovely photos of Malfontal above? They'll slap a dirty great loud clanking lift in there to do it.
snow report
sah wrote:

Maybe we should get some of those Stop the Brutal Grooming bumper stickers made up. Or should it be "Stoppen Sie die brutale Pistenraupen" Happy

I'd buy one.

Did the Alpenverein get involved with the Kapp lift? They were pretty instrumental in getting the lift from Axamer Lizum over the Kalkkögel to Schlick cancelled.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy