Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
Chaos is Lech today - many of the upper lifts closed due to wind, and with the very busy week - lots and lots of people on the few lifts that were open lower down. Links to Zurs and Warth both closed. Hoping the wind drops for tomorrow although forecast is for snow lol
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neu Schnee!!! Hard to tell how much yet. Maybe 5-10cm in the village - I have not yet been outside. Avi cannons going this morning. I bet it will be a late start.

The Galzig was again the pick yesterday for snow quality.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now looks more like 15 - 20cm in the.village and still snowing heavily.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Galzig Weather Station

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice fresh snow up there today, limited lifts open first thing and windy higher up. Being Faschig week there are lots of people about on the slopes so the fresh snow that's still falling is soon being pushed about and odd ice patches already uncovered. Would've loved to stay up longer, however despite the past two days in bed, seems I'm not as over the cold/flu bug thingy as I thought I was...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowed continually for around 24 hours here in Lech. Probably around 50cm total, that's what've admin the car roof anyway :
Visibility was surprisingly good a fantastic day, hero powder on piste and perfect powder on the marked ski routes - brilliant conditions for anyone coming out soon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche Situation , take heed Level 3/4

New fallen snow, stormy winds have made avalanche situation critical

Avalanche danger assessment

Considerable avalanche danger generally prevails at high altitude, the major peril stems from wide ranging, freshly formed and older snowdrifts. Avalanche prone locations for slab avalanches are primarily above about 1800m in all aspects of steep terrain and drifted gullies and bowls. Drifts can trigger even by the weight of one sole skier.

Todays snow will make some folk happy but its not a Huge Dump. 25-30cms max in Zurs.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been to the Arlberg for more than 20 years.
And even for Arlberg, 30 cm in less than a day IS a very good dump. (easy to figure, that with the same intensity continuing, tomorrow morning it would be more than half a meter. And that would probably mean roadclosures. So yes, this is a huge dump already!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug,

In town now its very light snow. It will fizzle out in next couple of hours. Tomorrow will be clouds/sun (no snow).

Ulmerhutte is recording 39cms new in last 24/48hrs.

This is the max of all the weather stations in St Anton. Gampberg (Rendl) records only 18cm 24/48hrs.

30cms will cover your boots.

If you head down Bachseite it will
feel deeper Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langerzug,

In town now its very light snow. It will fizzle out in next couple of hours. Tomorrow will be clouds/sun (no snow).

Ulmerhutte is recording 39cms new in last 24/48hrs.

This is the max of all the weather stations in St Anton. Gampberg (Rendl) records only 18cm 24/48hrs.

30cms will cover your boots.

If you head down Bachseite it will
feel deeper Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stopped snowing in resort a couple of hours ago and the snow cannons are on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avalanche Bulletin

Trecherous.

https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/home/bulletin/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awesome day, check out this early morning drone footage

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/service/webcams

Go steady out there, av risk very high......don't be using all that powder up either!! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langerzug wrote:
I have been to the Arlberg for more than 20 years.
And even for Arlberg, 30 cm in less than a day IS a very good dump. (easy to figure, that with the same intensity continuing, tomorrow morning it would be more than half a meter. And that would probably mean roadclosures. So yes, this is a huge dump already!

No roads closed yet according to Lech TO. Winter tyres needed for cars over the Arlberg and Flexen passes. If there is more snow or a lot of wind transportation that could change of course.

30cm is a very decent snow fall over 24 hours, if I was there right now I wouldnt be wasting my time on the internet Happy Great skiing but its not really a huge dump in my book (obviously the definition of huge is entirely arbitrary and not worth arguing about wink ). Half a metre or more would be pretty exciting if it did continue. Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 11-02-16 11:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Feels like winter Finally. -10C on Galzig. Those awful Grooming Wagons have been out allnight turning 2106 modest POW into Pussy Carpet rolling eyes rolling eyes

Stop the Brutal Grooming.Skullie Skullie

Nearly all lifts open throughout Arlberg except for Schindler & Valluga. Some Ski routes are "officially closed like Langerzug wink
latest report
@stanton, what are you doing writing stuff here, it's a powder day!!!! Toofy Grin And they can't groom Bachseite (except for the deadly cat track across the middle Sad )
latest report
@sah, If you have not booted up early or got on the 1st lift you missed first tracks . 2 hrs of early morning turns is enough before the liftriders get on the hill Very Happy
ski holidays
@stanton, I know, I missed many first tracks when I lived there (due to working in the mornings). Did you boot / skin up today?
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Feels like winter Finally. -10C on Galzig. Those awful Grooming Wagons have been out allnight turning 2106 modest POW into Pussy Carpet rolling eyes rolling eyes

Nearly all lifts open throughout Arlberg except for Schindler & Valluga. Some Ski routes are "officially closed like Langerzug wink

I was up in Whistler-Blackcomb a number of years ago. They had just received 50 CM of pow, and the electronic sign above the lift was flashing this message - Grooming report - "We just received 50CM of snow! Grooming, are you kidding!"

It was hysterical and awesome at the same time because they didn't groom any of the Blues or Blacks that day from mid-mountain up.
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
stanton wrote:

I was up in Whistler-Blackcomb a number of years ago. They had just received 50 CM of pow, and the electronic sign above the lift was flashing this message - Grooming report - "We just received 50CM of snow! Grooming, are you kidding!"

It was hysterical and awesome at the same time because they didn't groom any of the Blues or Blacks that day from mid-mountain up.

Happy

Normally they groom a few but will certainly leave many (most?) ungroomed after a storm. I'm not sure everyone likes that but the majority seem OK with it. In the good old days it was like that in St Anton too. On one of the rare occasions when I made the first lift I remember getting fresh tracks in 30cm deep pow on Osthang, then getting tracks between the Osthang and Feldherenhugl t-bars.... Which was not easy and probably verboten as the were very close together. An, happy days Very Happy
snow report
Those Carpet Cleaners need to be 90% enviromentally taxed to put them in the graveyard..

Skiing made easy creates a false sense of ability & uber confidence...hemets & all the other bs.

Bring back POW & MOGULS top to bottom

Ripout chairlifts , replace with T bars.

Skiing will be a fraction of the price it is now

Very Happy
snow report
@stanton, They need the snow and compacted it will last longer on the pistes, that's why they do it. I also don't like it but it makes economic sense, they had a poor start to the season and they want it to stay until season end.
latest report
There are places with no grooming, but it's all about €$¥, if you don't have heated chairs and flattering pistes vast numbers of people will go elsewhere. Only small, low cost places can survive without grooming (in fact it's the other way around, the small places can't afford grooming so they only stay in business by charging less and attracting a few free riders).

All that said, St Anton does attract good skiers and it is letting them down imho. There is no reason to groom Kandahar, Fang, Shoengraben etc, and absolutely no justification for grooming any ski routes.
snow conditions
I like the American way where on the harder runs they only groom it half width, so you get moguls etc forming.
ski holidays
sah wrote:
vast numbers of people will go elsewhere.

That would be a start.

sah wrote:
All that said, St Anton does attract good skiers and it is letting them down imho. There is no reason to groom Kandahar, Fang, Shoengraben etc, and absolutely no justification for grooming any ski routes.

Before the 2000 World Championships. The Fang was narrow never groomed & virtually a private area.

Schindlergrat was never groomed.

Arlenmahder was destroyed when they built that lazy chairlift.

Roßfal will be done for when yhe Kappl Gondola goes in & more than likely Malfontal will follow.Sad ;-(

They will finish off any offpiste on Schongraben when they
Replace the T bar with another lazy leg chair.

They (region) cannot even fill the Hotels they have now throughout the season, why build more?
latest report
sah wrote:
Toadman wrote:
stanton wrote:

Happy

Normally they groom a few but will certainly leave many (most?) ungroomed after a storm. I'm not sure everyone likes that but the majority seem OK with it. In the good old days it was like that in St Anton too. On one of the rare occasions when I made the first lift I remember getting fresh tracks in 30cm deep pow on Osthang, then getting tracks between the Osthang and Feldherenhugl t-bars.... Which was not easy and probably verboten as the were very close together. An, happy days Very Happy

Sometimes it is still (or was, this was '09): I've skied untracked Kandahar with 40cms of fresh on it before now, lots of fun!
ski holidays
@stanton, Rossfal is supposed to be a ski route, so hopefully not groomed? Then again, they groom Schindlerkar...The whole Kappl thing is sad. I'm not just being a selfish skier, I think it's bad for a number of reasons - cost, environmental impact, more crowds coming in to ski but not staying in the valley. By all means put a link in to Zurs, that seems OK to me, but the Kappl project adds nothing to St Anton. Sad

Here's another horror scenario no one has mentioned yet - they grade and groom the full Schoengraben descent all the way to the valley. I bet they've thought about it... Eh oh!
latest report
Always worth reposting this every season

Törli warning (Off Piste down to Nasserein)

http://youtube.com/v/icK6x8yveMw

http://youtube.com/v/nffawwMNWSs
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
I like the American way where on the harder runs they only groom it half width, so you get moguls etc forming.

Yep, totally agree. Was lucky enough a few weeks ago at Snowmass, CO where the 2nd day of a 3 day powder fest, they basically only groomed the areas leading to the lifts and green runs at the bottom. They left everything else totally ungroomed. On the 3rd day of the powmaggedon, they only groomed a swath about 2 pisten bullys wide. Twas totally awesome.
latest report
Good 5cm or so of fresh fallen in resort this evening, and started to snow again.
snow report
This isn't fair. The forecasts were for feck all more snow over weekend. Seeing reports of 20cm online.
snow conditions
Yup, fair bit fell in the end last night!
snow conditions
And how was it today? Sick here.
ski holidays
First day at St anton this season for me, not sure how long im staying yet, does anyone know with regards to ski pass can you get just a weeks ski pass and then extend it to two then maybe extend to a season pass, will it cost the same plus administration fee as if buying season pass to begin with?
latest report
@Windskisurf, Not sure, suggest you ask at the lift pass desk, or call into tourist info they'll speak better english and be able to advise.
latest report
FYI after asking the boss can get a 10 day and extend it to season pass only pay the difference.
snow report
@Windskisurf, "only pay the difference" makes it sound like it's not that much! Where you working?
latest report
Windskisurf wrote:
First day at St anton this season for me, not sure how long im staying yet, does anyone know with regards to ski pass can you get just a weeks ski pass and then extend it to two then maybe extend to a season pass, will it cost the same plus administration fee as if buying season pass to begin with?

No. Is the answer about lift pass.

The only way you can extend/refund to a season pass is if you
First buy a 10 day pass. Anything less iscnot possible.
ski holidays
@Windskisurf, @stanton, you can extend a pass, I looked in to doing it once but it wasn't possible in my case. You can do it subject to some constraints:

From: http://www.skiarlberg.at/arl/east/en/winter/w-tickets/66b5a740142a26b407a0267cab1e8dee

"LIFT PASS EXTENSION:
Personalized lift passes valid for 6 days or more can be extended to cover a maximum validity of 21 days. If lift passes which have not yet been personalized are to be extended, this must be done on the 4th day of their validity at the latest. A photo is all that is needed."

It costs €10.50 in admin charges too.
snow report
@sah, They can be extended. But if you buy less than 10days but then decide you want to buy a season card you will not get a refund (Deduction of the season card) .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy