Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
Rain turning briefly to snow around sonnenkopf lift then back to rain on journey in this afternoon. Raining heavily throughout town all evening and now. +3 to 4c around st anton town this evening so hopefully lots of fresh if wet and heavy snow up very top.

Pray for weds
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today was pretty fun if you like deep pillows, snow in your face, and getting a bit wet. It was remarkably deep on Galzig. Turned to rain somewhere between Zammermoos and Heustadl and was getting heavier as day went on. Still super day!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://m.emsc.eu/earthquake/earthquake.php?evid=485797

3.6 magnitude earthquake this evening, centred by Sonnenkopf.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sitter,

Not unusual, it is the Alps!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Langerzug wrote:
Snow is fluffy and light whilst the freezing-level is about 2000 m?
A real connaisseur?

Freezing level was not at 2000 for most of the day, no matter what you read on the internet. Snow was settling in the village until mid afternoon.

And it's "connoisseur", my hard of thinking friend.

The weird one was some sort of earth tremor last night.

ETA - it was an actual earthquake!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yestetdays Earthquake.

http://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/erdbeben-der-staerke-3-6-bei-kloesterle-in-vorarlberg/178.352.160
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech was 110-145 cm snow yesterday, today 90-125 cm
Where's Fluffy gone? rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sah,
Talking about the devil: Flexenpass was closed last night.
Obviously because of the rain causing avalanche danger, as the snowheights have being going down since yesterday....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
sah wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
It is when you're not out there for another 3 weeks, it's building up the snow base.

I hope that's true but I'm hearing horror stories of snowpacks disappearing completely further East in Tyrol and Bavaria. Hopefully St Anton is high enough and has enough base to last through the warm spell, but it's looking shocking at the moment.

I was skiing around Innsbruck today, and it's not all that bad. Still snowing heavily (both in terms of amount and quality) down to about 1000m by the time I left. I think it's stopped raining/snowing now, so less of an issue if/when the temps rise. A good 20cms of dense snow at the base of Axamer Lizum since last night.

Good to hear!

Oops, scratch that: my ears just weren't working well! Rained all night, not sure to how high, but way above the treeline.

Lots of slides around the Arlberg when I drove past today. Hard to tell from the road, but look like some fairly major ones around Schöngraben. Part of one of the snowbanks at the side of the road over the pass had collapsed, almost blocking one lane.

Saying that, there is still snow on the ground on the sides of the road in St Anton, so it hasn't all been washed away...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weather

A high-pressure area, located over Spain, will temporarily spread across the Alps and result in a short period of improved conditions, which will bring only short sunny spells. The continuous inflow of warm air masses will be accompanied by large, high patches of clouds on Tuesday. Freeze Level 3000Metres + On Wednesday night, the weather current will temporarily turn north-westward, subsequently winter weather conditions and wintery low temperatures will return. The snow line will sink to the low base of the valleys 900Metre Freeze level. After a short period of improved conditions, forecast for Friday, the current will turn southward towards the weekend. A stormy southerly foehn wind will settle in on the north side of the Alps, consequently wet southerly accumulations will build up around the main Alpine ridge.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TODAY Avalanche LEVEL 4

Outlook

On Tuesday it will be sunny and mild, but windy. On Wednesday, a cold front will bring more precipitation and temperatures will drop. Avalanche danger will remain treacherous for all backcountry skiing and freeriding tours.

http://warndienste.cnv.at/dibos/lawine_en/

https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/home/bulletin/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/w1-4eQgbQj0
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Felt like late season skiing (boarding) out there today, warm, sunny and slushy. Happy Valley, unsurprisingly, closed due to several slides down the side and over the piste. Lots of water running off down in to the river and in plenty of places they have been hacking away at the snow/ice to allow rapidly growing pools of water to drain away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, yeah, the lower parts of the Rosanna were just about kayakable today...

Edit: Ha! A friend did actually go kayaking on the Sanna today:

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 1-02-16 21:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ishgl - avalanches everywhere. We watched a particularly impressive one on the other side of the main valley.

Skiing was remarkably good on piste, icy on sheltered slopes but fine on much of the mountain.

Off-piste (to the side off the piste) hopeless - an evening of high winds and nightof rain up to 2000m had change it from good powder yesterday to crust or concrete. Not fun.

More of the same tomorrow, I believe.
ski holidays
Some crazy looking runnels and slumping and a bit of a hollow feel to some of the skier packed but ungrrpoomed shallow angle stuff. Main problem was everyone on Galzig side being restricted to a couple of lifts. Still tremendously fun day spraying the crowds and generally enjoying peachy spring conditions. Rain then suncrust in the pm made for some "type 2 " fun turns if you ventured a bit.
snow conditions
Avanlanche Risk reduced but still

"Considerable avalanche danger widespread above 2200m"

Warm today around +8C

Tomorrow thru Thursday we will see heavy Snowfall, this will be followed by another Warm Spell couple of days we can expect unstable dangerous Avalanche conditions again..

Weekend promissing !! Heavy snow again Happy Happy

What a strange season Sad
snow report
@clarky999, Ha, proper hardcore....must be cold! Great photo.

A general observation for comment by all.... this thread seems to have developed into an ongoing weather report rather than about snow conditions, and thus induced panic about stuff none of us can control, personally I'd like to be seeing more photos and dialogue about what's going on in resort, folks ski reports from the day, events, which runs are in good condition/ which are to be avoided, good powder stashes etc - I can read weather and snow forecasts myself online......or is it just me?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 2-02-16 11:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Markymark29, I think both are potentially useful. The weather reports seem to mainly come from the local sites so no problem to repeat them here.

I'm in Vorarlberg from Saturday for about 3 weeks if anyone would like to meet up for a ski anytime. Initially in Montafon, then Langen/Stuben, and finishing in Damuls. First time to the area so looking forward to it.
snow conditions
I also think it's a good idea to change the title as stanton does to indicate possible weather changes (for better or worse).

As it's in the weather thread 'd rather it did not include events or general resort stuff/apres-ski but discussions on current snow, best areas for snow, avalanche info, etc. would all be great.
snow report
Quote:

The weather reports seem to mainly come from the local sites

@Millom, Fair point - looks like you're going to get good snow, enjoy it. We're in Warth from 20-27 if you're about that week for a few turns, then in St Anton until 5 Mar.
snow report
I'm in Langen/Stuben from 13-24th and then a couple of days in Damuls. Shall visit Lech, St Anton, Warth, Schoppenau etc. I'd be able to meet-up with people anywhere on the ski pass for those periods. Obviously looking for the best conditions i.e. fresh snow or sun (hopefully both).
latest report
@Millom, Presumably you've got 2 lift passes then? Arlberg doesn't cover beyond Schroeken towars Vorarlberg, ie Damuls and Bregenzerwald places.
snow conditions
@Markymark29,

Pistes are Pistes

Off Piste is Off Piste.

What are snow conditions? Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Pistes are Pistes

Off Piste is Off Piste.

@stanton, Really!
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@clarky999, Ha, proper hardcore....must be cold! Great photo.

A general observation for comment by all.... this thread seems to have developed into an ongoing weather report rather than about snow conditions, and thus induced panic about stuff none of us can control, personally I'd like to be seeing more photos and dialogue about what's going on in resort, folks ski reports from the day, events, which runs are in good condition/ which are to be avoided, good powder stashes etc - I can read weather and snow forecasts myself online......or is it just me?

Well the past couple of days you couldn't get anywhere else from Galzig bar St Christoph on No 8 (Yawnsville) as Schlindler's lift & the 6 Man were closed. the Lift from Alpe Rauz may have been open but without taking a bus round no easy way of getting there. Stuben from the lightboards seemed to be shut above Albona 1. So I'd extrapolate a general area report - everywhere has snow. All off piste is schmoo or worse. Lots of debris that will need burying e.g. anything on Galzig side of Schindlergrat. All pistes are corny, lumpy, concretey as you'd expect depending on time of day a& traffic.

The negativism is not well founded though - nothing has been washed completely away and there is still generally good ground cover - it's not the Dolomites. So long term really this is pretty irrelevant. I actually found it amusing listening to some of the the Brit visitors on Sunday bitching along the lines of "this is the ridiculous - it's the worst conditions I've ever known" - it was snowing , admittedly wet snow but - it was snow all the same, get on with it.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Pistes are Pistes

Off Piste is Off Piste.

@stanton, Really!

I think you know what I mean. If its not green its white Happy

Unless your here on the hill , describing the snow (type )condition is irrelevent as it can change in a couple of hours or overnight .

At least with weather (humidity, temperature, wind force, direction) you can make a fairly accurate prediction to what type of snow condtions it is likely to be but its best to just ask the Farmers Happy

Stashes or POW you will not get reccomendations as its PP (Private Pow) Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Perfect piste conditions today, everywhere in Ishgl. Lovely warm sunshine. Only slushy on low runs to the village, and not too heavy - very pleasant slush, in fact.

Weather forecasts are worthless, sometimes. Snow depth absolutely great on piste, and about to get topped up.

In other news, I spent the day on some Head Worldcup Rebel SLs, chopping in my fatty Whitedit Preachers for the piste day, and have fallen completely in love.

Anyway, weather and piste conditions were perfect today.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 2-02-16 17:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, I think @Sitter's contribution to this thread is really good. Gives you a real sense of what is going on from someone who is actually there through the season.
snow report
@Harry Flashman, Report that on the Ischgl Snow Report Topic.
Ischgl Is not a reasonable comparison to the Arlberg as nearly all its slopes are North Facing & artificial.
snow conditions
Hi all,

New poster to this thread (and yes I realise it's a weather thread but seem to be a lot of local knowledge on here) forgive me for asking non weather related question... wink

Me (20 weeks holiday skiing mainly on piste have a go at most things and OH 7 weeks holiday skiing but not too happy on very steep or ice/moguls) Looking to spend four nights and three days skiing perhaps in the Arlberg next week - ski Mon-Weds, and have decent flights into Innsbruck Sunday and away from Innsbruck on Thursday. As we only have three days skiing would like to maximise slope time and minimise time spent getting to lifts. On first look at Lech (I have always wanted to visit Lech due to it's status and apparently perfectly groomed pistes OH likes shopping Toofy Grin and wide tree lined runs) the accommodation prices are eye watering, probably £1200 min for 4 nights. I will gladly pay that if I decide it's worth it, but...

Can anyone recommend
a) A cheaper but slope side access way to ski in Lech (as I say 3 days don't want to have to get buses if at all poss?)
b) Any other resorts to consider, St Anton - is it too spread out and too hard core for the OH? Anyone know of slope side reasonable accommodation? Stuben, St Christoph, Zurs? any others?

Would love to visit the Arlberg, as not been before and just want to make the most of 3 days, with easy access to area.

Thanks for any advice - much appreciated.
ski holidays
@neilkav, look at Warth - you can ski to Lech from there.

I'd look at Stuben too. It's a short bus or car drive to Lech / Zuers but IMHO worth considering. The lifts from Stuben take you into the main St Anton network. The only true slope side hotel in Stuben is quite expensive (I forget the name, maybe Hubertus??, but they have a lift that takes you down to the piste). However, it's such a small village that nowhere is more than a few minutes from the lift.

St Christophe has a chalet run by a British TO, don't recal who but I suspect that won't do 4 day trips, the hotels there will be in the same category as Lech and it's not a particularly exciting place to stay.

St Anton has a few slope side options, but not many. Buses there are good though, and plenty of accommodation is walking distance anyway. Given you are travelling from Innsbruck I'd stick with St Anton itself, it's the easiest place to get to (regular trains, buses from airport to train station are frequent and quick) and has the biggest selection of accommodation.
snow conditions
Markymark29,

Yes firstly I'll have the Montafon ski pass which now also includes Brandnertal. Then I'll have an Arlberg pass including Lech, St Anton, Warth etc. Then I'll have either a Damuls/Mellau local pass or a Bregenzerwald area pass (the second would include Schoppenau and also Warth if I wanted a return).

6 or 7 days - Montafon
10, 11 or 12 days - Arlberg
2 or 3 days - Damuls etc.
latest report
[quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]
Markymark29 wrote:
@clarky999, I actually found it amusing listening to some of the the Brit visitors on Sunday bitching along the lines of "this is the ridiculous - it's the worst conditions I've ever known" - it was snowing , admittedly wet snow but - it was snow all the same, get on with it.

This is generally how you know its been an amazing pow day! Smile Sunday was awesome, at least till the rain line starting rising in the early afternoon. Skied deep pillows through the trees all morning. Very quiet out with no wind which I'm unused to as a Mammoth, CA skier where there is always wind. Lovely morning and a great way to end my trip. Keeps my streak alive of always getting Pow in St. Anton. One of the reasons I will travel all the way from CA with 3 little kids!

Reminds me of 4 years ago when we got snowed into St. Anton in January. Stayed in a Ski Esprit Chalet as we had 3 kids in tow (ages 1, 1, and 3) and they have the child care dialed. For 3 days all I did was lap Galzig in legit waist deep pow. Run after run. One of the most amazing 3 days of skiing in my life. Everyday returned home with a poo-poo eating grin I couldn't peel off my face. Back at the Chalet everyone was bitching and moaning about the fact that only 1 lift was open, and how poo-poo the conditions were.

Different strokes for different folks.
snow conditions
@comish, indeed. I had a lovely couple of hours this afternoon on my board playing in the slush. It clouded over a little so higher up it started to freeze again slightly for a while, but was plenty of fun to be had on the piste. Piste bashers were obviously hard at it last night as they had Happy Valley back open again today.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@Harry Flashman, Report that on the Ischgl Snow Report Topic.
Ischgl Is not a reasonable comparison to the Arlberg as nearly all its slopes are North Facing & artificial.

Stanton - thanks, will do. Good to know, thanks!
ski holidays
@comish, I was there at the same time 4 years ago, on the same runs and it was amazing.
snow conditions
@neilkav,
Which hotel(s) in Lech are you looking at?
Is it for 7-11 Feb?
Will gladly advise, I know Lech quite good.
If you've always liked the look of Lech, and willing to pay the mentioned amount, than stick with Lech. Lech is great, and Warth and Stuben are really less attractive. And getting to Lech from Warth and Stuben is a bit circumstantial.
And anyway, Warth and Stuben are very small, with limited accomodation on offer.
St.Anton really is for hardcore skiërs mostly, and indeed spread out. Whilst in Lech, majority of acco is either on-piste, or very close to the lifts.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 2-02-16 20:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I had a couple of other questions if someone is able to answer. Does anyone know if the #3 bus from Lech will always run to Alpe Rauz even if the link to St Anton is closed for weather reasons? Obviously to access Lech from Stuben it is either the postbus or short lift and ski over to Alpe Rauz for this connection. When I take this connection in either direction where would I be best getting on and off the bus. I see there is perhaps a second stop near the roundabout that may be a better option for the return ski down the blue to Stuben if I take a later bus (after the drag has stopped). I would like to avoid the busy buses with St Anton skiers and avoid walking in the Alpe Rauz area Smile.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 2-02-16 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@sah,
thanks for the advice, will definitely look at Warth and Stuben, not fussed about bonkers nightlife lol
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy