Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
I will never eat popcorn again in my life.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
..archived..

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 29-05-15 0:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
..archived..

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-05-15 0:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiPresto wrote:

Hi Jim.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the mix-up. I seem to have made a serious mistake. Embarassed
However I am actually overjoyed that it wasn't you. Happy I am delighted to be mistaken, but not so happy that I made the error in the first place.
I should have checked with you on FB first.
I'll buy next time we meet. I'm afraid there isn't a way of editing other peoples' copying of my text.
However, it's now on record that you are not the username "billy not a boy".
I'll be in touch soon.

Not a very good few days David!
Firstly you print copies of private messages & then wrongly accuse someone!! I am sure you have broken a few precious BASI rules/guidelines Puzzled
Hopefully the wronged people will accept your apologies, even though they don't seem very sincere.

p.s. Did you actually apologise to the person you 'outed'?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This concept of 'anonymous posting without reason' is becoming more and more redundant by the day, as far as I can see.

Anonymous whistleblowing may, however, prove to assist either side in the execution of justice and an honest/full resolution of Simon Butler -v- BASI. Don't do it here, though, as it could mess up the proceedings. If you've evidence relevant to the issues, maybe contact the lawyers direct.

Let's see this properly sorted out, without the cackle and crap.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
This concept of 'anonymous posting without reason' is becoming more and more redundant by the day, as far as I can see.

I can see why those whose careers are over might see it that way.

Meanwhile those of us out in the real world where HR takes an interest in staff and job applicants' web presence have very good reason to use screen names.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OMG @David Goldsmith, "Let's see this properly sorted out, without the cackle and crap" is the best thing you've posted for ages.

But Speed098's comment a few pages back that "Avenues such as Snowheads are the ones that offer full animosity ...." is a classic, brilliant!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't see any reason for careers to end. As long as there's snow, punters will want instructors. Obviously some flexibility and humility may be required.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wasn't talking about ski instructors.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

dogwatch
I wasn't talking about ski instructors.

Exactly. There are many reasons why someone would be anonymous. Not always what you think, and it could have nothing at all to do with skiing. Its the way of this forum.
On the other hand, Facebook has different rules, and asks each user to have a genuine identity. It is facebook' s policy to remove a user who uses a pseudonym. That doesn't stop people wanting to be anonymous, and there is a whole department dedicated to taking these accounts down. So, there is a need to be anonymous for some people. Who knows their motivation? Probably, it is different in every case. But Facebook is not interested in all that. That is the way of Facebook. Both places are different.
On Facebook policies, https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards?__mref=message
"By joining Facebook, you agree to use your authentic name and identity. You may not publish the personal information of others without their consent".
Some private messages from Facebook have been published here, as well as an id. Reading the above, they really should be removed if the user has not consented to their publication.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I've said on numerous occasions, anonymity only becomes an issue on this forum when it's used for malice or misrepresentation. The problem is that this particular variety of M&Ms has occurred more and more frequently on sH, as most recently evidenced by this very thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sure. It is a big issue and different places choose to handle it differently. Maybe it will change here too. But while we are all discussing
Quote:

Some private messages from Facebook have been published here, as well as an id. Reading the above, they really should be removed if the user has not consented to their publication.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Malaise Meleze, interesting about facebook requiring real names, although I don't use my real name there and never have, it was a "performing" name - a quick scan of my friends list show similar performing names rather than real names.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would think that Facebook are happy with pseudonyms if it's obvious that they have built circles of FB friends who know their true IDs. From a user's perspective, or group/page admin perspective, this all seems to chime.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I would think that Facebook are happy with pseudonyms

No, I don't think they are. Have had a few FB friends who have been made to change to their proper names. eg John SS made to change to John Smith Smythe (name changed to protect the innocent) and he had no agenda other than to stay in touch with friends.

But I would agree with others that on an internet forum it's just better to be anon to the googling HR departments.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

I would think that Facebook are happy with pseudonyms

No, I don't think they are. Have had a few FB friends who have been made to change to their proper names. eg John SS made to change to John Smith Smythe (name changed to protect the innocent) and he had no agenda other than to stay in touch with friends.

I wonder why they made him drop the SS? rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Gerry, infringing one of Sir Lyons trademarks?
snow report
New venture idea, i hear that Snow & Rock are for sale again, always an option.
latest report
@Gerry, SS was a name I made up. His real one is FP. Thought that was clear. Never mind.
ski holidays
@SkiPresto, Good that the pm's have been taken down. This was the right thing to do.
ski holidays
Malaise Meleze wrote:
@SkiPresto,This was the right thing to do.

Took a long time though.
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
Malaise Meleze wrote:

Took a long time though.

Took way too long and should never have been posted in the first place. Shame on you @SkiPresto

EDITED: to include reference to the CEO
latest report
billy not a boy wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
Malaise Meleze wrote:

Took a long time though.

Took way too long and should never have been posted in the first place. Shame on you @SkiPresto

EDITED: to include reference to the CEO

How long & how much has this cost BASI to sort? Maybe Skipresto should be sent the bill.
snow report
@stewart woodward, assuming BASI is covered by legal liability insurance, the costs may have been low.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
@stewart woodward, assuming BASI is covered by legal liability insurance, the costs may have been low.

Insurance is not going to cover them for time wasted whilst enlightening one of their members and convincing them that they made a huge error in posting some private messages on a public forum.

The costs of which @stewart woodward is speaking, is that wasted time and effort; which is quite ironic really when we consider how @SkiPresto keeps "banging on" about privacy ... like I said once earlier, hypocrisy.

Oh yes, and I also have to make sure that I mention the CEO in this post too, just to keep @SkiPresto happy.
snow report
Quote:

I have been appraised that there was post by someone that suggested I was the person known as billy not a boy. I can categorically refute that I am billy not a boy. I did, however, offer a person a lift back to his accommodation to ensure he did not miss his evening meal due to the timing of the BASI Open Forum. So in case Ski presto thinks billy not a boy is Jim Davidson he is sadly mistaken. Sorry no coconut for Skipresto.

Oh well, glad's that all been cleared up so neatly.
ski holidays
@billy not a boy,
Quote:

Oh yes, and I also have to make sure that I mention the CEO in this post too, just to keep @SkiPresto happy.

Did someone mention banging on? wink
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

Did someone mention banging on? wink

Very Happy

@pam w ... JimD could quite possibly be another sock I guess ... or maybe I am after all. Grrrr.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So now all the shouting has stopped for a bit is it ok to continue? I am interested in this comment way back somewhere on page 6 by
@skimottaret. If you are still around and reading - can you share anymore about the UK government "taking this seriously"?
Can you also explain or direct me to a link about how this all works, (who reviews? who do they speak to?, what is the process? how do they gather information? how do they reach agreement? etc).
Quote:

as a trial case for implementation of EC 2013/55 is a very good profession to utilise and one of the pilot professions being reviewed (primarily due to selection by the previous commissioner M Barnier). Regulated in some countries not others, safety derogation in some, multi tiered in some, the potential to invoke a Delegated Act using either common tests and/or common framework... I can say that the UK government are taking it seriously because there are a raft of other professions that will be reviewed and they want to get the procedures right and not institute unnecessary additional regulation.
snow conditions
Quote:
not institute unnecessary additional regulation.

To my simple mind, any regulation of snow sports instruction is unnecessary ... beyond that of assessing one's ability to teach, and one's ability to teach the right thing.

I accept that there is room for a professional snow sports instructor, (someone whom has been trained in the delivery of instruction in this field) but I do not accept that skiing is in any way such a dangerous sport that it requires the special attention that it currently has.

And I certainly do not accept that there is a need for aptitude tests along the lines of one's ability to ski a slalom or GS within a percentage of a really fast skier.

So, with this borne in mind, I too am interested in the current EU exercises in this respect.
snow conditions
@Malaise Meleze, the email address of the chap from the dept of BIS is on record. I have emailed and received a response but I'm unconvinced that beyond Basi and l4 there is much appetite for sorting out other issue's.
snow report
This thread needs TTT to liven it up a bit wink
snow report
@stewart woodward,
Quote:

This thread needs TTT to liven it up a bit

Very Happy not the first time its been noticed that when 'the heavies' go away the thread just fades. Perhaps there is a learning point in there for people who want to control debate?
Anyway it was a chance to ask a related question that is concerning me. I know fights are more fun and this is boring, but until another TTT or skipresto arrives, I want to grab the opportunity to find out as much as I can.
@AndAnotherThing..,
Quote:

I'm unconvinced that beyond Basi and l4 there is much appetite for sorting out other issue's.

Can I ask what leaves you unconvinced that there is an appetite? was it the BIS man's reply to you? Or something else? Before I also write in and ask myself, I am interested in the current view from anyone who has already been in contact.

I do see it differently. Maybe I move in an odd circle, (that is possible) but it seems to me there are plenty of people who, once they understand the issues*, are concerned, and would like to take this opportunity to sort out "other issues". I am talking about skiers, ski instructors and people generally who just have an interest in Europe. Hence my interest in @skimottaret 's comment that this is a small test area for bureaucrats to work on.

*admittedly boring, and industry specific: people only tend to look into them once they have been impacted by the inconsistencies that really do exist, or if they need to protect their existing position.
ski holidays
is archived a new word for deleted?
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
This thread needs TTT to liven it up a bit wink

Some actual news would serve the purpose.
snow report
Quote:

not the first time its been noticed that when 'the heavies' go away the thread just fades. Perhaps there is a learning point in there for people who want to control debate?

Anyway it was a chance to ask a related question that is concerning me. I know fights are more fun and this is boring, but until another TTT or skipresto arrives

You appear to be confusing debating with inane pointless chat, who here tried to control debate? you do seem to think TTT was chased away rather than they didn't want to hang about defending their point when the SLIGHTEST hint that they were just making some of it up appeared, such a strong point they have eh well worth the effort of replying to them rolling eyes
And I bet £10 they are still here just not posting anymore
snow conditions
@geeo
Quote:

You appear to be confusing debating with inane pointless chat

haha yes I probably am Smile
Quote:

who here tried to control debate?

TTT and skipresto, imo. But efforts to control or shout down the pointless chat actually make it more prominent. Counterproductive.
Quote:

you do seem to think TTT was chased away

No. I disagreed more strongly with what she said than you know. If anyone still cares, I did think the 'outing' of an anonymous user (on a forum that allows anonymity) was a little naughty, at the time. But last week's failed attempted outing of one individual, and the very silly and morally very wrong (probably illegal) publication of another person's pms put what happened to TTT in perspective. In comparison it was subtle.
Quote:

And I bet £10 they are still here just not posting anymore

undoubtedly they are Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

TTT and skipresto, imo. But efforts to control or shout down the pointless chat actually make it more prominent. Counterproductive.

Ah ok sorry I got the wrong end of the stick, and I agree about TTT

Quote:

I did think the 'outing' of an anonymous user (on a forum that allows anonymity) was a little naughty, at the time.

Well I would agree if they were outed, i'm not sure knowing what country someone mostly lives in covers that though, it's such a pointless piece of knowledge and to take a flounceo over it is frankly more embarrassing than half of the rubbish they posted
Laughing
snow report
Quote:

is archived a new word for deleted?

Lol only deleted here though wink
snow report
@Malaise Meleze, It was the response from the BIS chap.

My perspective is slightly wider than 'pure' BASI, as I hold qualifications from a couple if other organisations as well. I'm concerned that UK citizens who are qualified via HNGB's (SSE, SSW etc.) or internationally (say Canadian, NZ etc. ) or a mix of the above will be disadvantaged in Europe if the only recognised game in town is a BASI qualification.

I'll need to look back at the conversation again, but the answer was not very positive, and that's before we start talking about L2 or L3 qualifications.

Still, on the upside there does seem to be a hint that people are starting to recognise that the provision of Instructor Qualifications and licensing is a market in of it's self and there is more than one provider Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy