Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux Glacier 31 March 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
General skiing suitability for Easter: Very Good. End of March and Hintertux had excellent snow conditions, really beautiful snow higher up. The weather was starting to warm up and the run back to base No1 was well covered but getting slushy at the bottom station. You could still just about ski back the Hintertux village at the end of the day.
If the weather is stormy (as it was for me) then you will find it very windy and exposed being up so high

Extent: The pistes at Hintertux are few making it boring after 3 days., but you will never get show-sure tree skiing at Easter anywhere in Europe.
on one day the queues where quite long - c.10mins, Hintertux is a victim of its own success perhaps.
Where to stay: the hotels at the lift station seem good as any. Hintertux village is 1km down the road. Free bus service. Decent apres bar "Tenne" at the bottom station.
Logistics: ski hire is available from the friendly and large Nenasport shop at the bottom station (2000 franchise). Decent selection. opens 8am. Free car park at lift station. 40 mins drive up from Mayrhofen.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
ski hire is available from the friendly and large Nenasport shop at the bottom station (2000 franchise)
...Where you can expect to pay twice as much as if you book online at a shop in any of the resorts lower down the valley wink .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@anarski, looking at a late trip and thinking of taking a nervous beginner and a 4 year old who has skied a week (can turn and stop on gentle slopes) as we may not get to ski this season otherwise but by the time we might go (June/July) I imagine only the upper slopes above the Fernerhaus will be open. What are your thoughts on the suitability of the blues on the upper slopes (9 & 9a I think) for this level of skier and actually getting to them as I think you need to ski a red?

@mountainaddict, if they are expensive, could you suggest somewhere nearby that's good value and has good service?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, The blues at the top are fine for adult beginners, but might be a bit much for a 4 year old. Only problem with those runs (9,9A) is that you essentially have to go to the top of Gefrorene Wand to get to them, which means taking a red off the top*. Not sure whether that would be a problem for your companion & child.

*I think! Have not been in Tux for a few years now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The blues at the top are fine for adult beginners, but might be a bit much for a 4 year old. Only problem with those runs (9,9A) is that you essentially have to go to the top of Gefrorene Wand to get to them, which means taking a red off the top

I'd agree with this...
Though, I think, if people are having lessons, and they can't manage the ski down from the top, a piste machine can be called to take the people to the beginner rope tow and the blue pistes.
While I think that Hintertux is a great ski area for a glacier, once the Sommerberg lifts were closed for the summer I wouldn't choose to take beginner-ish skiers there.
@ster, If you're looking for somewhere to ski in the summer in Tirol with beginner skiers I would look at going to Stubai.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree with that. Stubai would be a better choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SaraJ, @Steilhang, thanks for info, I hadnt appreciated that those blues would be hard to get to for beginners and was thinking Hintertux would be favourite with its longer season and having accommodation right at the base. I'll have a look at Stubai as an option for us. Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't really comment on it as a purely summer skiing place - when I was there all runs were open right to the bottom. However we thought it was not the easiest skiing and not particularly beginner friendly. As is often the case in resorts where there are few blue runs marked, the resort has been a little "creative" meaning that many of the blues are actually red grade. e.g. #17
Runs to Sommerberg:
#17 - more red than blue, especially the drop down from the Tuxerjoch Haus
#15 is an easy T-bar served run ideal for beginners
Runs above Tuxer Fernerhaus:
#12 This skiing is marked blue but served by 2 long and fairly steep T-bars and you have to take a red run to reach the area and to get back.
#9 #9a these runs are fairly wide and gentle on the upper glacier, but still take you onto a red run to get home.

There was good top-to-bottom skiing skiing at Easter, but its not really a place for first timers. For Easter skiing with small kids or nervous adults Ischgl would be a better choice - lots of wide easy pistes at Idalp and Alp Trida.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 11-04-15 18:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

While I think that Hintertux is a great ski area for a glacier, once the Sommerberg lifts were closed for the summer I wouldn't choose to take beginner-ish skiers there.

I fully agree with this and I would add that Sommerberg is only 2100m - temperatures were +8 degrees there one afternoon at the end of March - so the Sommerberg area will not be open for much longer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm getting the message that its not great for beginners, great to have this first hand knowledge rather than go with false expectations based on the jolly resort website and a few others I've seen, so thanks all.

But if snow conditions prove not great elsewhere by the time we want to go it may have to be a trip for one wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy