Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria March 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just returned from a week in Cervinia, which was enjoyable but a day was lost to the strong winds, my attention now turns to deciding where to go in 2016.

We are intermediate skiiers who like blues/reds, but nothing too difficult. And it would again be at the start of March.
I’d like to try Austria again, having not been there for 25 years and a fellow skier last week recommended Obergurgl but when I’ve spoken to folk since they said I’d have covered it within a couple of days and Saalbach would be a much better option. Indeed reading the various threads on here lots of snowheaders like Saalbach too but looking on the map it is only 1000m height. But this clearly isn’t deterring folk so would Saalbach at the beginning of March be a good option?

Your thoughts or counter options in Austria appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kabooooooom, my TR on Soll is just below this topic - we really enjoyed it and similarly are made up of skiers who wanted blues and reds. I think there is enough around Soll to keep you entertained and would say it's worth considering.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ISCHGL!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so far: Soll was where I went all those years ago. Any elaboration on ISCHGL! or supporters of other resorts?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you like long blues and reds, Mayrhofen a good bet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kabooooooom, loads of resorts in Austria would suit you; Saalbach, Kitzbuhel, Zillertal, Ski Amadé, SkiWelt. Don't worry about altitude, Austris is so much further east so the snow line is far lower. Many of the resorts are proper towns on the valley floor so the skiing itself is higher anyway, and you have the advantage of beautiful characterful towns with easy approach roads. All Austrian resorts are open until Easter and many long after that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saalbach, Ischgl, St Anton or Mayrhofen!

Saalbach is great for lots of mileage, fast lifts, relatively easy but fun terrain, beautiful mountain restaurants and rocking apres. Ischgl is smart and trendy with lots of variety, more challenging runs, very fast lifts and absolutely insane apres. However it's expensive to stay there. If you want to go there, book NOW and stay in the Chalethotel Abendrot with Ski Total.

St Anton has a reputation for being a gnarly off-piste destination .. which it is .. but there's some good piste skiing too. Quite challenging, but lots of mileage and variety to be had (if you add in Lech and Zurs), and the apres is brilliant. The Mooserwirt is a place that has to be experienced once in your life.

Mayrhofen is cheaper, lots of variety, has the opportunity for fabulous glacier skiing and fun apres. But you can't ski back to the town centre from the main ski area.

In order of preference I'd go Saalbach, Ischgl, St Anton, Mayrhofen. I'm very glad I went to Ischgl, it's a place you should go to at least once to experience it (then take a week off to allow your liver to regrow). But Saalbach is best all-round I think.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did Obergurgl last year in March and there was certainly enough to keep me occupied for a week especially with a day over in Solden!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks think Saalbach it will be then
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kabooooooom, Kitzbuhel, Saalbach or Ischgl.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kabooooooom, Let me know if I can be of any help. We're based in Saalbach and know it inside out. I can also send you our comprehensive guide if you e-mail me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tatman comes highly recommended, a great chap with a superb local knowledge (also including the best Happy Hours) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plus Austria tends to get a lot of snow at altitudes lower than countries near to the coasts. I've skied knee deep fresh powder here at the beginning of April.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reporting from Obertauern. Been snowing here all day. Sun was trying to break through in the morning so the conditions were great. Then the wind got up and was quite vicious at the top. Put the beers on the balcony at 6pm. Just nipped out to dig one out of the snowdrift. 10cm extra has fallen since then. High winds may be a problem tomorrow. Fingers crossed that we will get to enjoy all the fresh powder. Austria rocks! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy