Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uni-prototyped ski helmet features array of electronic add-ons

Poster: A snowHead
Graduates in industrial design at the University of New South Wales, Australia, have developed a new ski helmet with video/audio/GPS/entertainment functions.

This report via SKI.HUB LinkMonkeyDesk, linked to source ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1583508118602621/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh good. More ***** not looking where they are going.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another group of skiing students - these ones from the University of Michigan - have had their 'fraternity' banned, for causing $100,000 to $400,000 damage to Canadian ski resort 'Treetops'. Another report via the SKI.HUB GlobalLinkApe ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1583504601936306/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Karl Marx, that's the 3rd link of yours today that just takes me to a log-in-or-join-page. If it's not public, find one that is, or tell us not to waste our time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the 1st complaint I've had today, and the link's been up for 6 hours. You're not Facebook-registered?

P.S. Kindly don't tell me what to do, or what not to do. I'm just a big friendly teddy bear (with a beard), and don't deserve this.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Karl Marx, I thought that people posted links so that others would read them Puzzled . I, and other Facebook refuseniks, can't.

Now I know that some of your links aren't public, and you know but don't care, I won't waste my time clicking on any of your future links, public or not. You may, however, consider it's a waste of your own time, posting links which people ignore.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't do facebook either but although i sometimes think I might be missing something this isn't one of those times.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it is not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maggi, according to this report (which isn't linked via SKI.HUB), the number of UK nationals logging onto Facebook each day - in August 2013 - was 24 million ...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics

... so I'd hazard a guess that the percentage of "Facebook refuseniks" - your expression - on here (since snowHeads comprises social media enthusiasts) is about 2% to 5%.

If you insist on being hostile to stuff that seems perfectly valid and reasonable, that's up to you, but this thread is really about students and their contrasting inventions/behaviour in skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The website of the Australian industrial design graduates - Forcite Helmet Systems - which is the subject of the Sydney Morning Herald article ... http://forcite.com.au/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like techy things but this would seem to be completely over engineered and you may as well stay home and use your Nintendo Wii for kicks. "Impact sensor" needs more explanation. Does it tell you you are just about to have an impact or that you have just had one? I would imagine its useless to be given the information in either case. I'm out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Karl Marx wrote:
That's the 1st complaint I've had today, and the link's been up for 6 hours. You're not Facebook-registered?

P.S. Kindly don't tell me what to do, or what not to do. I'm just a big friendly teddy bear (with a beard), and don't deserve this.

Why not post news directly in snowheads, if you wish snowheads to read it?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another Facebook refusenik here. My wife, too. And two of my three kids. Also my parents and most of my friends. In fact, well under half of my close acquaintances use Facebook. That's the main reason I don't bother with it - the people who matter to me aren't there.

But why anyone should choose to post news articles behind a login screen is a total mystery to me, especially when there are a large number of open blogging platforms that don't restrict the available audience or confound search engines. Apart from my lack of interest in Facebook as a platform, I really don't want yet another large American corporation tracking the things that I read. Google is bad enough, but at least they provide high quality services that I actually want (search, maps, etc) so I regard the bargain as fair. But Facebook? No thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Why not post news directly in snowheads, if you wish snowheads to read it?

A most cryptic remark from a Facebook enthusiast!

I firmly believe in the reciprocal strength (isn't that the essence of it?) of the internet. If and when stories break on snowHeads, they will be reported on SKI.HUB, and so on.

Anyone got anything?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Regurgitated clickbait at its worst.
snow conditions
Sure. More from Gerry (clickbait, 2004) ...

Gerry wrote:
Verbier for new year, three weeks in Whistler over end of Jan beginning of Feb, back to Verbier in late March, then straight to Tignes for a week, then straight back to Verbier for yet another week..few!

Finish the season off with the Ski Club end of season bash in Tignes in
May!

Those were the days!
"Where and when are you going?" [Aug 2004]
Warning: clickbait
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2223#45994
snow conditions
Facebook refusenik? Me too. It certainly sounds like a sizeable proportion of SHs aren't keen on FaceTwat, so why link to it behind a login screen. Even if we don't mind the brainless inanity of FB I doubt many of us can be bothered to go through a login process to look at something like this.

So, +1 for 'Why not post on SH's?' . Also why use a sockpuppet and what the hell is SKI.HUB when it's at home. Actually, I'm not really interested, so don't bother to tell me.
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
But why anyone should choose to post news articles behind a login screen is a total mystery to me

For starters, anyone who works and posts in working hours would be well advised to use a screen name.

There's also the potential issue of online stalking, infinitely worse if you use your real name. Unfortunately there's some weirdos out there and it can happen.
snow conditions
Quote:
But why anyone should choose to post news articles behind a login screen is a total mystery to me.....
Perhaps because he wishes to give numerous puffs to his own FB site - skihub - which does not yet have many active members. Will this sort of promotion help it to grow? Not IMO - I've looked at it. I'm not a total FB anti - but I won't be joining up to skihib. Any 'social media' which constantly bombards me with junk mail - - - - do you know 'X' ? - - - is anti-social.

Weirdly I can access FB from work (behind some protection no doubt) but with the same laptop on a remote connection, the company blocks it. Tells you something.

dogwatch, your points are valid - but in the case of CG, KM and possibly many more related socks (from the man who used to strongly advocate the use of real names) I suspect he has another agenda. He's not permitted to post in SCGB forums, not permitted or not welcome in WTF Skiclub (or whatever it is called) on FB so he is flying solo.
Fine - but I wish he wouldn't spam sH with link-throughs to his own site. He sees no complaints in 6 hours as an achievement. Wow.

maggi, called it correctly in post no 3 in this thread - IMO. I felt the same way - but restrained myself from commenting - as Mr Goldsmith has a track record of not taking any notice of others' opinions posted here. QED - Since we now have a bit of a debate which is totally unrelated to the original topic, I thought I'd pitch in my tu'ppence worth.

I bet DG is monitoring the thread responses and within a short period I'll get a rebuttal - or a silly unrelated 'amusing' graphic. Watch this space..... but don't hold your breath.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-03-15 12:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Dubaian, what happened re WTF? I take the relationship with them followed the usual trajectory?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 3-03-15 12:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Gerry, dunno - except that it's over. That's another bit of FB I didn't frequent. And, by the way, I take your very prompt post as a sign that you are also monitoring responses to this thread. Not a crime but.......

If you and DG wish to slug it out once more do it elsewhere, please. Include me out. Thanks
snow report
@Karl Marx, re that 2004 itinerary: the only thing the club funded was Whistler, the rest I paid for. You have a cheek, though, considering you blagged your way into BASI's 50th birthday dinner on the pretext of being a journalist. You're not a jounalis nor a member, so had no right to be there.
ski holidays
Handbags - - - I knew it would go this way. Sad
ski holidays
Dubaian wrote:
dogwatch, your points are valid - but in the case of CG, KM and possibly many more related socks (from the man who used to strongly advocate the use of real names) I suspect he has another agenda.

Fair enough. I hadn't made the connection between CG and KM. I now see I swallowed troll-bait.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-03-15 12:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@dogwatch, I think you've worked this one out, but we don't have issue with usining a screen name, but using multiple screen names seems unpleasantly deceitful
snow conditions
Dubaian wrote:
Handbags - - - I knew it would go this way. Sad

Ok diddums I get your point.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
... you blagged your way into BASI's 50th birthday dinner on the pretext of being a journalist. You're not a jounalis nor a member, so had no right to be there.

I think I must be a journalist, because I know how to spell journalist. Not sure why you're second-guessing the wisdom of the British Association of Snowsport Instructors in inviting me to their 50th anniversary lunch (at the House of Commons), which was in January 2013. Here's the journalism that resulted (did you see any other write-ups?)

BASI blows out 50 candles at the House of Commons
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96387

BASI at 50: at the House of Commons ... and elsewhere
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,152284,152424

Probably half the guests - from all over Europe - at the event (including the SCGB's chairman (who sat opposite me), chief executive, and head of partnerships) were not members of BASI. What on earth are you talking about?

I was a journalist (the principal freelance writer/editor on its magazine) for the Ski Club of Great Britain from 1984 to 1994. You maybe weren't aware of this, having only joined in 2001. Maybe have a look in the library - there are some really interesting articles in those old magazines.

David Goldsmith
snow report
Other current stories on SKI.HUB [Yes, Facebook registration required. It's not a crisis] ...

Insurer reports 35% jump in ski injuries
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1584091951877571/

World's fastest chairlift - for 2015-6
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1583660081920758/

Glencoe snow-blitzed - again !
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1583711308582302/

Lyon-Turin 'sub-Alps' railway is on (again)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1583633728590060/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In other news... kat.ryb clicks ignore on Karl Marx.

Wish you had just stuck to posting under ComedyGoldsmith and saved me the trouble.
snow report
Dubaian wrote:
He's not permitted or not welcome in WTF Skiclub on FB

Absolute camelshit. I've been a friend of the founder and president of WTF Ski Club - Alan Mackenzie - since 1975, and have had some involvement in taking its membership above 700. Why do you post this ludicrously false poo?

Here's a WTF-style news update, posted a few minutes ago, to prove the point ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/562612340508324/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy