Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At home drills/exercises to encourage separation

Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading out to the Three Valleys in a few days and I'm intending on really working on my upper and lower body separation. I have a 3 hour private lesson booked for day 1, but is there anything I can be trying at home before I arrive to try and develop some muscle memory?

Cheers in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Belly dancing! Or that Lord of the Dance stuff.

In all seriousness, core strength and flexibility will help you to control the separation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A friend of mine tried belly dancing for the first time last week (there's a troupe in our village). She said coordinating the feet and the belly was seriously difficult - I bet it's really good for you. Her muscles ached the next day from holding arms up for so long. I'd like to try it sometime.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally my calves feel the first few days the most - I negate this by standing on my toes right on the edge of a step/stair and then lowering my heels as far down as they will go and holding that position for as long as possible. Feeeeel the burrrrrrrn!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Designer156, you could try a chainsaw, but that might be messy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Designer156, an exercise I do for this is to lie on my back, hands behind head, pull knees up till pointing at the ceiling, then roll knees from side to side while keeping head and shoulders reasonably still. Legs may roll far enough to touch the floor each side.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
balernoStu, important to keep your rib cage completely still and not arch your spine (so, suck your belly button into the floor) during that particular exercise, otherwise you're not engaging all the necessary core muscles.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Zero_G, yes indeed! I did wonder about adding a bit about activating the TAs but I'm no personal trainer, just something I find works for myself. So thanks for making that clear.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Designer156, sleeping with your partners sibling will give you instant separation. Madeye-Smiley

Joking aside, not too much you can do so near to your trip. Don't forget to warm up properly before you ski, and warm down after. Good luck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Designer156,

Where are you trying to get seperation Puzzled some of the exercises above will strengthen your core but will not help with separation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Telling my wife she looked like George Doors in her onesie almost did it for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Designer156, something like this would help with separation and fitness at the same time.

http://youtube.com/v/TWBkCDdgj2E
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Telling my wife she looked like George Doors in her onesie almost did it for me

Laughing Most people look absolute shocking in a onesie. My skinny, athletic, 11 year old grand-daughter looks better in just about anything else. She looks lovely in her pretty pyjamas and stunning in her gym kit. But a complete mess in a onesie. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, pretty impressive that. While watching I'm half expecting to see an Iron Cross 360 thrown in to complete the simulation Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula_hoop
snow conditions
balernoStu wrote:
@under a new name, pretty impressive that. While watching I'm half expecting to see an Iron Cross 360 thrown in to complete the simulation Very Happy

Impressive, but my knees and hips hurt just watching it. Yep, totally expected a heli to finish.
ski holidays
@balernoStu, @sah, I think it's telling that even he is out of breath!
snow report
altis wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula_hoop

You know, that's actually not a bad suggestion!
ski holidays
Some serious control skills!

http://youtube.com/v/7joNOm-TOLE
snow conditions
Thanks for all the input guys. Will defo give @balernoStu's suggestion a go.

Essentially, I know I can help improve things through squats and lunges etc, not forgetting some core stabilisation exercises, but after watching videos, the idea of keeping the upper body facing down the hill whilst flexing and turning the lower body to turn and control speed looked like more of a co-ordination/muscle memory challenge. A skill that needs to be practiced. Almost like dancing (thanks for the belly-dancing suggestions).

Also wondered if something like this would be advantageous:

Video
latest report
@Zero_G, https://vimeo.com/78953777 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Maybe a little too much separation going on here...

http://youtube.com/v/im9XuJJXylw
latest report
skimottaret, that's pretty impressive! I use a skateboard deck on a hard foam roller... I definitely wouldn't be able to juggle at the same time Shocked

Designer156, anything that forces you to work to maintain your balance (which requires working core muscles) will help. A strong core means good balance as well as control over separation. Something that only allows you to rotate is missing out on the pitch and yaw type movements you would need to make while skiing and still maintain the separation. So, if that Everlast device is one of those rotation devices, I don't think it's enough. If it also has a convex base, so forcing you to maintain balance, then go for it.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, It was after a few beers mind Wink
snow report
@skimottaret, you've set a challenge there! I've a home made balance board in the shed somewhere , more accurately a plank of wood and length of 6" pipe.

@Designer156, just don't hurt yourself before going skiing !
snow conditions
@balernoStu, I did just about broke a hip trying to jump and land a 180 on it, came so close but when it goes wrong it goes very wrong... Was on a weather day when we got blown off the hill and we were all bored... give it a go, its not too hard
latest report
I've often wondered whether speed skating would help. I've done a bit but on inlines rather than ice. Not sure I got down that low though.

snow report
I've been at the bouldering wall twice a week for the last month or so and noticed my core strength greatly improved.

@Designer156, not enough time for your impending ski trip but another thing to try for next year possibly... along with the balance board, twisting and speed skating! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy