Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Usa ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All , thinking of going skiing in usa next year for about 10 days has anyone got any advice on where to go for advance skiers and which tour operator to book with . Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going all the way to the USA (or Canada) I like to make the best of the fight and combine the skiing with someting else. Typically this is up to 3 weeks.

In the past we have combined Whistler with whale watching off Vancouver Island. Three years ago we combined Las Vegas, 3 national parks and Aspen.

All were good, and Aspen certainly provides a challenge for advanced skiers.

All have been organised by Ski Safari, and planning was spot on. Because of the nature of the holiday, you have to accept there is no resort rep available, but organisation was spot on. There is a helpline available. For instance, when we arrived at the hotel in Whistler we were allocated a standard room. As it was late at night (UK) I left message with SF. When we got back next day after skiing, all our bags had been moved to the upgrade room! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jackson Hole for advanced skiing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied USA and Canada for more than 10yrs, there are so many options. The quality of the snow is far superior (imo a bad year in the States is better than a very good year in Europe) and compared to the large resorts in Europe, the runs are practically empty. More often than not we've chosen to use a hire car, giving the option to visit neighbouring resorts. The geography of the States makes this a viable option. In Europe the resort villages are often an hour drive from the valley floor, US ski towns tend to be more accessible from the main roads. Heavenly/Lake Tahoe is a good option - a good deal of varied skiing with Squaw Valley and Kirkwood within the hour away, as well as a number of other smaller resorts. We flew in to San Francisco, spent 6 days at Heavenly and then drove south to Mammoth before returning from Los Angeles. Park City is another multi-resort option with The Canyons, Deer Park, Alta and Snowbird all within striking distance. I also like Copper Mountain too - with a car you can reach Beaver Creek, Vail and Brekenridge fairly easily. In terms of tour operator we've used Ski Safari a couple of times, they've been very good, but of late we've been booking independently.

We've also done a couple of last minute bookings and saved money, once using Thomson to visit Winter Park. It's conveniently only an hour an a half from Denver, and being in April we were able to take advantage of their late season 'double-dip' ski pass - covering the whole of April for £170!

Jackson Hole is very good, the only downside being that the main town is a 40 min coach transfer from the resort. My experience of the states is that wherever you go you can find good/tough skiing, and you're much more likely to get powder.

Steve
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
seb400, how do you make a 12 mile drive into 40min coach trip Shocked Shocked We were there last weekend and the drive is only about 20 - 25 mins. Easy to stay in Jackson and drive out.

seanh, there are so many options, and its very easy to DIY. Flights are easy and accommodation cheap and easy to find. Most tour ops charge for under occupancy on hotel rooms if they are twins ( often to sleep 4 ) when the hotels just charge a single room rate. Even if the room has a king and sofa a tour op see it as a 4 person room !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SEANH................

SEB400 - STEVE's remarks are right on cue. He's clearly v. knowledgeable to begin with and his insight - experience and outright savviness enhances same that much more!!

No best place to ski in Obamastan - the former USA. I'd always advise tracking the winter weather in any given year and see how things are shaping up before one makes their decision - spends their money and time to go anywhere. Case in point............ The West Coast this year, above all California has, once again, really taken it on the chin and only in the past week come out of a real slump. And what an ungodly pity as the West Coast holds so many aces starting with California. Of the given seven or so top resorts within California............, on a great day any are phenomenal and memorable. Oregon is often completely overlooked, for that matter ever reminded which if only people knew what they are missing when that state is running on all cylinders, whew..........., it would not be the stranger that it is. Bachelor on a great day is jaw dropping............... And Oregon, much like California in a good year can get walloped with 10 to 30 plus feet of snow. Ten plus feet (350 plus cm) is not even a stretch. The greatest amount of snow I have ever seen in a given year of many, many, many (skiing) years in the world has been between those two states, such as come March, April, even May........, driving down the road and flanked by a twenty feet plus high solid wall of snow on both sides that goes for endless miles with skiing well into July. It's not the gossamer light stuff of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, but it definitely was snow the last time I looked. Or skied.

The Rockies, incorporating New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana....., with the exception of New Mexico tend to be quite reliable in terms of snow each year, but not always. It's only been in the past two to three weeks via a series of storms within the Rockies that have saved the year IMO. Heretofore there was around 30" - to - 38" of PP no matter were one was within the Rockies and for myself, that ain't enough even though it has proven to be solid PP. We expect at least five or more solid two to three plus new powder days each year with the uber light stuff that does pack down to nothing. Maybe next year will be kind to the nation. I hope so.

It should be objectively stated that you get a "greater amount of bang for your buck" typically in a Wyoming, a Montana or parts of Utah and Idaho as opposed to Colorado. The West Coast offers greater value to that of Colorado, too. Keep this in mind.
I do not know what tour operations you favor or have considered but I am certain that each do as good a job as can be and typically have greater access to accomodations which is the biggest, most important nut to crack when choosing a resort, or might save you here and there although as BONES accurately stated in so many words................, doing it yourself is a wise choice also. You just have to do a lot of the "work".

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-03-15 1:53; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think DIY is the way to go.

If you know a year in advance, you can check the liftopia special and craft your trip according to the bundle that liftopia offer. I grew up skiing Utah, so I'm a bit partial, have a timeshare at Snowbird... with a balcony and a hot tub overlooking the slopes. It's awesome.

I also spent a number of years in Northern California (actually born there) and favor the Tahoe resorts, love the scenery there.

That said, I think skiing in Europe is loads cheaper, even when you take the transatlantic flight out of the occasion.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Ski Safari- give them a call and tell them what you're looking for and they will advise your best options. according to your budget etc

we used them for Canada two years ago and was really good service- would rather give them my money than the big ones!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have just returned from Canada and booked with Frontier Ski - fantastic service, very knowledgeable and would happily use them again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check out American Ski Classics - have used them many times for pre-booked lift passes at a discount; they also do accommodation apparently. The Lodging Company in Canada has sorted accommodation for me in Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky and Whistler - very efficient!!!!! Loads to go at over the big water, can't go wrong really Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just jumping in here. Trying to book a 4 couple 7 day trip to the US - end of Feb beginning March. It's a mixed bunch ability wise, a couple of the wives, although experienced skiers like to cruise, a couple of the guys like head off over the back so to speak. Therefore we are looking for some varied skiing but as it's our first real trip without our kids we also want options on restaurants and bars in the evenings. I guess we are focusing in on Colorado owing to relatively easy to get there, shortish transfer times, relatively safe on the weather front owing to altitude etc. Probably first choice is Vail but it does seem mega expensive. Other places we have looked are (obviously) Breckenridge and Steamboat. However we are prepared to consider anything if anybody reckons we are missing a trick elsewhere. Help!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If u r looking at a "one resort trip" rather than a "different resort every day" tour with an overall holiday feel then Breckenridge would get my vote as it has 5 peaks to play on of varying ability plus town has some really great restaurants. Only issue might be the altitude.......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bisonator - we have had summer trips to Hintertux and Saas Fe so I'm hoping we'd be ok. Thanks for your post.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud - nice one! To qualify my post a bit, Breck is in my opinion nicest / prettiest town to be based in in that area also you can ride the chairlift that takes you to almost 13000ft - the highest "no hiking needed" terrain in North America. Wherever you end up should be gr8 - i love Colorado Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Bisonator - does Vail offer ANY advantages over Breckenridge? Also what are you thoughts on Steamboat? It's just one couple have been to Breckenridge before and would quite like to try something new. Breckenridge does seem to offer a bit of everything. It's great planning a trip for 2 as opposed to 5 with the kids. It seems to reasonable cost wise!
latest report
Hi Fifespud - have never stayed in Vail so not sure about town but yeah skiing there is fab in terms of the size of the place, loads of bowls and diverse runs. Have been there several times on separate days. From my experience if u r looking for somewhere a bit like Breck in terms of a whole hol vibe for a week then Steamboat and its "Champagne Powder" could suit. Like Breck, town is great with some fab restaurants - the only reason I discounted it initially is it's a fair bit longer travelling and a bit stuck in the middle of nowhere. Doubt it is pricey as Vail tho' - didn't used to be anyway.........
latest report
Cheers Bisonator. Have you ever stayed in Frisco? It looks brilliantly placed if you want to ski in Breck/Copper/Vail and Keystone.
snow report
Hi Fifespud - yep u r now hitting on the sort of trip me and my crew have done in the past - enabling u to see a lot more than being tied to one place. Smile

Frisco is great for this, as is Silverthorne / Dillon - all off the I-70 freeway. Both these locations put u in easy distance of resorts u mention plus Arapahoe Basin and Loveland which are really great "less corporate" places with a more back woodsy feel. The Summit inn @ Frisco gets the thumbs-up from me especially as a nice B and B place on the edge of town.
ski holidays
Steamboat can be done for far cheaper than Breck and even Frisco. Though getting there is a slight bits of hassle. On the other hand, the hot springs will score good point for all the Mrs...

that said, there's more terrain variety in the Summit county area.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy