Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deaf Skier: Hearing Aids and Helmet - possible?!

Poster: A snowHead
That's a thought... will investigate.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Radz, My OH is an audiologist. She suggests you look in to a personal loop system with an external mic (you'll have to buy this but apparently they are not too expensive). Wear the personal loop around your neck (e.g. under your skiwear) and clip the mic to your jacket collar or helmet strap. If your ski jacket has exit for ipod headphones then you can use this to thread the mic through to the outside. You will need the loop system program enabled on your aids. When the loop is on the mic in the aid will be disabled and hence no chance of feedback.

ps I have a Salomon Ranger helmet and I can't get the ear pieces out even though they are supposed to be removable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was quoted for one of those by my London based audiologist and the price made my credit card look as though it was sucking sour lemons.... but will shop around and see if there are other less pricey ones out there - thanks for that Half hand! Smile And please thank your OH for me....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Radz, OH reckons this might work http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/television-conversation-amplification-aids/sarabec-crescendo-505-listening-system-with-neck-loop.html?gclid=CPOYz_2khcQCFYjLtAod5FEADw. For £60 it might not be such a loss if it doesn't work out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gotcha. I've already got the Phonak Compilot but that only works with multimedia such as telephone and TVs.... I don't think it can be used as an external mic can it?

Addendum:

I've just found this bit of kit

http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/products/wireless-accessories/products/remotemic/hearing-aid-accessory.html

and have fired off an email to my audiologist to find out how close to my compilot the mic can be worn and what the cost is. Will let you know his response - most likely Monday hopefully. I already have a helmet - the one that I mentioned earlier that I carved out the inner foam around the ear areas and therefore if I can avoid purchasing another one it would be nice... In my mind that money would be better spent on the hill side somewhere!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
She says that should work although the range is only about 20m max but should be enough for skiing don't you think?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would think so - its really for piste bashers etc trying to sneak up (?!) behind me, and just being generally alert to my surrounding environment.... As much as I love having days off when I don't wear aids at all and live in blissful total silence, when I'm out and about and 'on' I like to have as much incoming information as possible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Radz, Hope you manage to sort something. Let us know how you get on and what works best. The first thread in snowHead Oh has taken an active interest in Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will do! Hoping to get all this cracked before I go to Morzine towards the end of March....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Radz, my helmet - Poc backcountry receptor has a very high edge on it. The ear protectors can be removed and this also removes about 1.5 cm of the helmets lining so it sits relatively high. Due to a lack of a moving neck the higher the better for me when it comes to helmets and this is the best I've found. Not cheap bit worth looking at. Poc have a great customer service so might be worth giving them a shout. I'm sure they'd be very helpful with any knowledge/experience they may have.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have behind the ear hearing aids. I don't usually wear them for skiing because I can manage without. But in my experience a racing helmet which completely covers the ears works much better with hearing aids rather than a helmet with soft ear protection. In my helmet (a Heat Stivot Race) the ear has a quite generous space with nothing pressing. This means there is room for the hearing aids and no problem with feedback or wind noise. Plus if I fall I am confident that I would not lose the hearing aids....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with you which is why my present helmet is a full head one, but since purchasing it I've moved onto more powerful aids which feedback in it whereas my previous (3 aids back) didn't. Hopefully the external mic will be the solution... If not will look into your helmet brand - thank you so much.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My husband had the same problem on a recent skiing holiday with the rental helmets, so bought one instead. All I know is that the make is Briko (helmet is now stored in the loft). The ear pads on his have cut outs in the middle so there is no pressure on ears or aids and this made a huge difference.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Netty - thanks! Briko is now added to the list....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi,

I have an Atomic Xeed helmet, wear behind the ear aids and I find I can hear better with my helmet on!
We've just had a week in Tignes and the first time in years I was actually able to hear what our guide was telling us.

I rarely get any feedback, probably because of the fabric ear covering rather than being solid plastic helmet. No problem with wind noise either.

This is a link to a photo of the helmet:

http://www.skis.com/Atomic-Xeed-Helmet-2012/346632P,default,pd.html
ski holidays
Hi all can I suggest an alternative helmet style which may work, a military/tactical helmet such as the pro tec PTA bravo half shell bump helmet.
The military use them with communications earphones so they don't cover the ears they're cheap as chips on eBay and are really comfortable. You can throw one on over your hearing aids and they won't interfere at all, I lost my hearing in A'Stan a few years ago that's what I use with my bilateral hearing aids. You have to take all the accessory rails off, otherwise you'll look mental but they usually come with a mount for night vision which is great for a go pro camera. The rails are simply screwed off. The helmets are designed to hold lights and night vision goggles so they have a really good suspension system. Just don't try and buy a ballistic helmet would cost thousands. I got the "bump"version which is hard plastic for $150 on eBay and it works a treat hope this helps, here's a link to a picture you'd just need to strip it down to the basic helmet
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/black-ops-special-forces-pt-helmet-427832886
snow conditions
Have you tried a Bern Macon or Bern Watts. They are hybrid cycle / ski helmet. I have a Macon, with a winter liner for skiing, but if you did without the liner, there isn't much around the ears. I got one as it fitted my large odd shaped head!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy