Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fell flat on our face waiting for late deal :(

Poster: A snowHead
1St ski trip not panning out too great Sad boight all the gear which was a challenge to suss qnd went for a couple of leasons ay xscape yesterday which was fun but hopping to book a late deal at crystal there didnt pan out as expected..
Was hopping for a late 28th or 7th deal on 1st time ski package to bulgaria but it seems theres nothing left Sad the only deal they offered was PAMPOROVO from an airport a million miles away and travelling back to go straight to work at 6 in the morning.. Feel like crying

Got a headache looking for different avenues and wondered if any of you good folk can offer some advice or maybe another aproach i've not thought about
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shaunyski, have a look on Igluski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@shaunyski, are you going on your own or with a mate? looking for a 1 person booking is always harder than 2, plus generally costs more (waiting for other SH to shot me down!)

http://www.igluski.com/bansko/mpm-sport-hotel_p32374?holidayid=1242194491

is this what your where looking for or is it to much or airport to far away?

I would just call igluski they are generally great on the phone and barter if for the 28th tomorrow or thurs when booking.

good luck
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanx, tried them yesterday while waiting for crystal to put an offer together and i think theres was about 800pp to pas de la casa.. Tried neilson and inghams too think inghams had something half ok.. Waiting for a call back off co op but they dont sound very confident nothing for bulgaria but asked them to look into finland
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trying going onto ski.sunweb.co.uk.

There's a 3star all inclusive hotel deal to Chatel in France for just £349, including lift pass! You will have to find your own flights but Chatel is near Geneva, so that shouldn't be difficult and transfers are plentiful as well. Chatel is a nice little village with some good skiing for beginners. I'm not sure what the ski school is like. Anyway it looks like a bargain and a part of me wishes I had taken this deal rather than a more expensive one to Austria.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi thanx hadge8 that hotel looks cool but bit over our price range flys from east midlands which is good Smile
Before when i was looking for hols (crimbo time) prices for everything was around 1000 for me and missus wish i took it now
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking into sun web as we speak Smile thanx
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@shaunyski, when you do last minute packages you need to be flexible about where you go, where you fly from, etc etc. Planning a specific destination with a specific tour operator is a bit optimistic.

I'm sure you can find something. But if you mean £500 each (£1000 for you and the missus) that's a tad optimistic. £349 for a hotel and lift pass in a top quality ski area is extremely cheap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^this ^^
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree i was not bothered too much about the location jst the price but no one now can compete with prices i got 2-3 month ago. Which as you say was cheap which gives me not alot of room for variation Sad my own fault stuttering at start line..
Jst looked into a place in les portes du soleil, chatel.. good price till i went to book n shot 100+ quid lessons n rental was good but havent looked into flights yet..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's some way off still - keep looking, but be realistic about price and don't book any accommodation till you've checked cost of flight and transfer. These add a lot - a last minute package might be best, really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everything is a compromise to some extent. If there is the perfect resort with the perfect accommodation and perfect ski school and convenient flights then the price will go up. If the price is low, you will be compromising on something else. You are not 'last minute' yet.
Try some of the smaller operators. Look on Facebook. Be flexible. What about self drive? Make the journey part of the holiday. Come back a day early if you have work at 06.00am the next day. Self cater.
Look on FaceBook and Ebay. Be creative. In the week before you go, possibly only a day or two before, phone up the tour operator and see what they have.
Try some of the smaller operators that have just a few chalets - possibly only one - and don't include flights.
A few years ago we went to one of the resorts just down the hill from Val Thorens. The holiday 'week' started on a Saturday as is common. I rang the company on the Saturday morning and arranged our trip. We drove down and effectively had a day less as we arrived on the Sunday. But we had a week (less a day) in a catered chalet and we were happy with the price.
Try companies like Propaganda Snowboards (in Jasna). MountainSun Ltd. SnowChateaux. PilaSki. WillISki. PistePads. Alpoholics. Austrian-Adventures.
Think about less well known resorts - Nassfeld. Jasna. St Lary. Valmeinier. There are plenty of others
Look at the offers available through SnowHeads.
Start another new thread on this forum 'Looking for a last minute deal 28 Feb or 7 March'

There are lots of things that you can do
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like you're just being a touch optomistic, £500 is pretty damn cheap, even for the real budget weeks of the season. Have a shop around some of the TO sites though, I've been looking for late March and some resorts are offering 2 for 1 lift passes, which knocks off about £100pp for two people.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@shaunyski, when there was no snow the prices were low!

Now there is good snow the prices are higher.

At the end of the day you took a chance that the prices would fall, has there still been no snow then they may have done, but tere's now good snow so operators know pretty much that they'll sell their gaps, why would they discount?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PM me we can sort you a transfer, hotel , pass and any hire / lessons for Bansko .......all you need is flight

Best and cheapest are wiz air from Luton or Easy Jet from Manchester
snow report
Quote:

when there was no snow the prices were low!

Laughing
snow report
wiz air , if you join discount club £55 out £89 return flight plus cases
snow conditions
@JohnHSmith,
Thanx for all the that info will take some time to scan through it trying all the smaller TO not thought about facebook or ebay but worth a shot i

guess@marcellus,
Lol yea makes sense.. Which is the crux of my problem i liked borovets from early on but left it late to make sure there was snow there after reading about it being snow unsure.. Live n learn i guess

@winterfunman,
Will pm you in a min
snow report
Do not give up hope. We got our last minute deal commencing the Sat of the New Year week confirmed at 11 ish that morning, admittedly we were already in the Alps with our car so did not need flights. it was quite surprising how many last minute deals popped up just 24 hours before though!
snow report
@CaravanSkier
I certainly want gove up but wish i shared your optimism but at the moment feeling a little deflated Sad

Think i got a sweat on today panicking about getting something sorted before the 24hour holding window from crystals offer.. But thats ended now so gona reevaluate tomorrow and try again.. hopefully a sleep makes it better, lol
ski holidays
@shaunyski, Fingers crossed for you!
latest report
Try silverski...they have a few offers on on their website. E.g £399 catered chalet La Plagne flying from Manchester.
snow report
I admire people who have the balls to leave things to the last moment and grab a cheap last minute deal. Personally, I couldn't live with the uncertainty and half the fun of things is the anticipation weeks in advance of knowing your holiday is coming and looking at all the resort webcams etc etc.

We rent out our apartment and the good weeks have already gone for next season, some to other snowheads. Most weeks are booked out by november.

I get 3 or 4 emails each week, of various desperation, from people wanting to book in the next couple of weeks. I send the emails on to other people in the resort whom I know rent out their apartments - but unless it is January or April most of the good ones have also gone.

It's probably different in getting last minute package deals but I would hate to be in the position of leaving for holiday in a few days with a grumpy family all asking where we are going.

Having said that, if @shaunyski is desperate then phoning or emailing the hotels at resort directly might well work, although last minute flights are usually expensive.

Maybe the lesson is that skiing on the cheap is possible but very stressful.
ski holidays
@shaunyski, have a look at Silver Ski - they've got some last-minute deals for 8th March in catered chalets at the moment if you don't mind flying from Manchester.
http://www.silverski.co.uk/special-offers/
latest report
Flights available from Stansted to Salzburg for 28th - 7th for £91rtn thats gotta be a good start for a DIY trip. Loads of resorts to choose from and easy transfers available via bus or train.
£62 rtn the weekend after....I'm tempted myself!! Even from Leeds/Bradford for 7th-14th its £123 rtn. All is defo not lost for a really decent CHEAP trip.

USE SKYSCANNER.NET for flights and put departure airport as UK and then alternate between the airports i.e. Salzburg, Innsbruck, Munich, Lyon, Geneva, Chambery, Turin, Bergamo, Venice, Zurich, Memmingen, Friedrichschafen etc...(sure ive forgotten one) this will show the cheap fares available from UK airports then you can make a choice between convienience/cost which one is best for you.

But as I say lots of cheap flights still available even for this weekend. Get on Booking.com or use the tourist boards website for accom and use Alpinresorts.com and the discount code SNOWBALL for ski hire. EZ PZ.

HERES AN EXAMPLE FOR THIS WEEKEND - WESTENDORF (ski welt) an hour from Salzburg accessed by train or transfer bus.

So say approx inc baggage £250ish for two flights and that B&B double room £400 together = £325pp. Plus lift 6day pass = £160 (220euro) 6day Ski hire approx £60.
All together - £550pp not too bad.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 25-02-15 9:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@CaravanSkier,
Thanx dude Smile

@Perty, @Richard_Sideways,
Will have a look on silver in a minute.. Sounds promising

@emwmarine,
I like the idea of last minute, no waiting etc but as you say is very stresfull especially when its something we've not done before.. But at least its only the missus being grumpy.. lol

@AthersT,
Them flights sound good is that skyscanner.. Tried that air wizz but seemed a little confusing and couldnt even set departure airport to manchester..

Was up till 2 last night hoping to stumble accross a last minute/cancellation i'm not giving up and as mentioned maybe salzuburg or insunbruk etc but worried even if we get flight acomidation well priced lessons and rental will cripple the deal never mind cost of food n drink... That sunweb had some deals on.. That chatel and geneva flights was around the right price but looked like there was prob another chunk of money to add on once there deposit, bed linen, towels, etc...

Will make a start on searching again soon with hopefully a fresh head n see what pops up.. Think booking everything seperate now is the only way
snow report
@shaunyski,

As you can see from my rough working out bar transfers ive got everything covered for £550pp for Westendorf. The flight prices I was quoting were from Skyscanner which is a search engine for flights it searches pretty much all airlines, the hotels were Westendorf for 7 nights 28th-7th on booking.com.

I really think that all in you would be looking at -

Flights £130pp inc baggage (x2?)
Accom £400 - for double room for two? inc b&b
Lift Pass £160pp
Ski rental £60pp
Transfers - train £20 rtn
- transfer bus £50-£60 rtn
Food - £150-£200 per person for the week (30-40 euro per person per day - hot lunch on mountain + evening meal inc a drink with each)
Drink - As much or as little as you want!!

All in - £700-£750pp

Food is very reasonable in most Austrian resorts - roughly a third less than French alps on average, sometimes alot cheaper too.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 25-02-15 10:19; edited 3 times in total
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
It's probably different in getting last minute package deals but I would hate to be in the position of leaving for holiday in a few days with a grumpy family all asking where we are going.

As I'm single I have a much greater degree of flexibility and I love a last minute decision to go abroad. One of my best holidays was a case of making a decision to go on a Wednesday morning and flying on the Friday of the same week. I'm quite impatient so find the anticipation of holidays crippling and I hate big lead ins before a trip. It's rare that I book a holiday more than 8 weeks in advance....of course a lot of that could just be down to being quite disorganised!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the week leaving on 7th march looks like it would be a little cheaper, wasn't quite sure from your post if that was an option?

there is a couple of options on igluski, for both weeks,

I haven't been to Risoul, but looks like a nice resort,

http://www.igluski.com/risoul/clubhotel-morgan_p27223?holidayid=1432739455 Feb 28th week

http://www.igluski.com/risoul/clubhotel-morgan_p27223?holidayid=1423693225 Mar 7 week

is gatwick to far? you will find a lot of the cheaper deals fly from gatwick.

if you would be willing to go by coach from london there is this,

http://www.igluski.com/brides-les-bains/club-hotel-le-verseau_p20234?holidayid=1288341880

keep your hopes up, you have until friday night to book and be willing to barter on price if it gets to friday, but you will have to keep as many options open as possible. i booked a few last minute deals but normally in March 2nd or 3th week, and gatwick isn't to bad for me coming from bedfordshire.
snow conditions
@AthersT,
Quote:

As you can see from my rough working out bar transfers ive got everything covered for £550pp for Westendorf.

I usually try and walk between bars, but I can see the attraction of being transported from place to place Very Happy
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@AthersT,
Quote:

As you can see from my rough working out bar transfers ive got everything covered for £550pp for Westendorf.

I usually try and walk between bars, but I can see the attraction of being transported from place to place Very Happy

I sense Sarcasm....my preferred transfer method when going bar to bar is the queens chair...

ski holidays
Not sure if the UCPA model suits you but if it does then follow action outdoors on facebook as they regularly have good deals on last minute holidays. Recent example from last week:
Cancellation at Val d'Isere 21st Feb
£250
Autonome package. 7 night's accommodation, full board, Espace Killy lift pass and equipment hire.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@AthersT,
Quote:

I'll see if the missus is partial to a piggy back ride in between... Should keep the price down a bit, hehe

@AthersT,
That looks great thanx to taking the time to help get me an approximation of a realistic price.. I'll look into westendorf when i get back in..

@SnoodyMcFlude,
Being single would help to a certain degree jst need at least a x2 for any sort of a deal.. But think she might get a blub on if i leave her behind.. Remeber a few years back i decided to join mt family to crete for a big fat greek wedding 2 days before..

@Hadge8,
To be fair i think its going to be the 7th now.. Just wouldnt of minded a week to nurse my legs and any wounds bedore going back to work.. But as you say i'm going to have one last ditch at the main TO for a ultra late deal in the next couple of day for the 28th... Will have a look at them igluski links soon, thanx Smile

Jst had crystal contact me about the pamporovo deal still being availble which i am tempted to take.. All inclusive perelik which has a mountain cafe which is inincluded and its around our budget the only thing which is putting me off is flying from gatwick but as mentioned that seems to be the only airport for packages..

Thanx for everyones help and advice so far will hopefully get something confirmed soon Smile
latest report
@AthersT,
Lol.. Must admit these coments have lightened the mood Smile

@red_dragon,
Not sure what UCPA stands for? but action outdoors sounds worth a vist, thanx
snow conditions
@shaunyski,

http://www.ucpa.co.uk

I've not used them myself, but @pam w, has adult children who have used them. Usually get good feedback.
latest report
@shaunyski,

UCPA is pretty much the French version of our Youth Hostel Association.
They offer VERY well priced fully catered accomodation + lift pass + lessons + equipment hire. Prices on average will be £550 - £650 all that before flights/bus and transfers.

If you dont mind at this late stage of booking sharing a dorm/showers etc with your missus and a load of other people in what can be fairly basic (but clean) youth hostels then could be the answer if you can get cheap flights and transfers to Geneva.

Its an good option especially for solo travellers but for me if I'm leaving it late I'm looking for something a bit different. Plus my missus would kill me if I said we are sharing with other people in a youth hostel (spoilt!).
snow conditions
@Iski, @AthersT,
Ahh hostels... Does sound apealing but as you say i think the missus wouldnt be too happy about sharing her hair straighteners, lol
Crystals give me till 3pm to make my mind up.. so sweat on again, lol think for what there offering its wort the extra 2 n half hour trip to airport.. I think the flights are to sofia tho so i belive thats a longer transfer too to pamporovo..
snow report
@shaunyski, what are you being quoted by Crystal? what does it inc etc?

Prices will be appealing but I would advise against Bulgaria/Pamporovo - The forecast is warm/snow is OK at best, skiing is very limited 17.5km only! You can get double that at a Scottish mountain. As an example Westendorf would give you access to 280km of slopes and the snow is good at the moment with more forecast.
snow conditions
@emwmarine, there are usually plenty of late deals BUT you need to be flexible - problem for the OP is that he is looking for what some might think is an impossibly cheap deal.

But I agree that good accommodation is often booked up ages in advance for peak weeks. @shaunyski, some of the UCPA centres (Flaine being one) have double rooms too, for a modest extra fee. They are very cheap for all-inclusive (including lunch, packed if you want) but even UCPA would struggle to meet your budget.

However, it's 25 February. Proper last minute deals for 7 March will be more like 5 March. wink
snow conditions
I think that he's looking for 28th and then if that doesn't work then 7th March.

agreed what is your deal to pamporovo and what does it include?

also ask them what else they have to other places, don't let them think that they have you over a barrel!

and don't forget to ask for Bar transfers. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy