Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me about your kids' school ski hols...

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
My 13 year old just got back from a week in Austria with school. She had a fab time. They were not based in resort, they had to get the bus in and out each day (37km each direction IIRC).

It was a nice 4* hotel but the food wasnt great.

They went by bus...just over £800. Five days skiing as the other 2 days were spent travelling.

Id be interested to know others recent experience. Seems a shame that they waste so much time on bus journeys.

Sounds exactly like school trips round here; coach there and back and about 30 mins to and from the slopes each morning.

I think it's a bit pricey, but remember you have to pay for the teachers too Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1969jma wrote:
@mayr,

Isolated situation I'm sure, school trips would not run year after year if this was norm.

Your contradictory statement is an assumption?

I would strongly disagree. Many school trips go ahead every year probably because the parents do not know really know what really goes on.

Perhaps I should have made it clear in my original post that there are some brilliant school trips that are well prepared and the sorts of instances I mentioned do not occur on every single trip. However the instances of the drivers being unprepared is on the majority of occasions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hedley, There's a few details I still remember- such as my skin tight salopettes (horrific thought now!), Abba constantly playing on the hotel jukebox and taking your life in your hands venturing up to the floor above where the older pupils slept where a game of dare involving legally bought flick knives from the trip to Venice, feet spread wide and wooden floorboards was all the rage. Strangely I remember nothing of the skiing!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a game of dare involving legally bought flick knives from the trip to Venice

I remember a game rather like that which we played (when nobody was looking) in the Girl Guides with sheath knives. (And yes, I was told by the guide captain that I didn't fit in the ethos of the organisation).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter went to Austria year 10 i think? Travelled by coach to the stubai glacier, around £700 then, she had a fantastic time, coach was no bother, she then skied with uni twice again on coach trips but much cheaper!
My son went to Boston around £1200 all inclusive apart form spending money, had a brilliant time, to this day I've never seen a single photo, but he did bring his room key home, a chewed sweet stuck in his pocket and a note saying 'joe I want your babies! Shocked
My youngest son is also going to Boston this Easter £1500 all inclusive, 5/6 days skiing, a trip to Harvard, Ben and jerrys ice cream factory, a boat trip whale watching, and of course shopping. He can't wait!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
I think it's a bit pricey, but remember you have to pay for the teachers too Twisted Evil
I'm eternally grateful to the teachers who organised the school ski trips that I went on. Without doubt it was a life-changing experience for me, not just because of what I have ended up doing, but also when I was at school in terms of self-confidence and opening the eyes of a working class boy from the South Wales valleys to a much bigger world than I would otherwise have seen. The fact that my parents paid a bit extra to cover the cost of the teacher's expenses (but not their time) was, in the grand scheme of things, entirely insignificant.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
School trips rock. I went on jollies to Venice and Rome, the Normandy beaches, at least two ski trips to the French Alps, a three-week expedition to the Faroe Islands and numerous hillwalking/multi-activity/skiing trips to various bits of the Highlands. It was all spiffy. I also worked with school groups for 15+ seasons, and confiscated many interesting things, among them bangers, knives, various nasty sorts of alcohol and on one occasion an actual mace. No idea where they got that one from.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My son's school went to Tremblant during Easter in 2010. He was not that bothered about going as he had other stuff on. I said it would probably be rubbish as Tremblant in April would probably be a mixture of slush and ice. It was very icy and on the last day one unfortunate lad broke BOTH legs in a fall. He was delayed in flying home and a teacher had to wait with him. Just as they were about to fly that pesky volcano blew its top in Iceland and they were delayed for another couple of weeks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frosty the Snowman, Shocked . I bet that teacher was absolutely delighted .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, knew I'd get a bite. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
My 13 year old just got back from a week in Austria with school. She had a fab time. They were not based in resort, they had to get the bus in and out each day (37km each direction IIRC).

It was a nice 4* hotel but the food wasnt great.

They went by bus...just over £800. Five days skiing as the other 2 days were spent travelling.

Id be interested to know others recent experience. Seems a shame that they waste so much time on bus journeys.

Sounds exactly like school trips round here; coach there and back and about 30 mins to and from the slopes each morning.

There's generally a 1 in 10 free place rule that covers the staff. The problem with school trips is that they generally run at half term and holidays which are expensive times to go. I generally worked in schools where there wasn't a lot of money so we had to shop around and make it as cheap as possible. Not allowing teachers to lead groups made it a far bit more expensive as the kids had to be in lessons all the time. The going rate for your standard school trip is about £800 at the moment. The operators milk for what they can get by choosing out of the way hotels and do deals with ski hire, ski schools and the lift companies. English kids tend to prefer cheap crap food, which the hotels are well aware of, and are happy to serve.
For the teachers it's incredibly hard work and no holiday. The bonus are the free inspection visits. Come Easter and there'll be thousands of party leaders on a freebie, plied with drink and other goodies to try and get their business next year.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, Is spot on.

Mrs H is a teacher and organises the ski trip so I have some knowledge.

If your kids school allows trips during term time then the price as you would expect is a lot cheaper. Many schools do not so half term trips cost about £900 upwards. That's for a coach journey. With a flight it's about £1000 upwards. If you want resorts like Val or La Plagne then the cost increases further. You would be surprised how pushing it over £1k affects the number of sign ups.

I personally think its a decent price. All inclusive - ski hire, food, soft drinks, morning and afternoon lessons, transfers the lot. There are normally extra activities in the evening like toboggan, karaoke, cinema etc. and these are again included in the price.

Mrs H selects hotels near the slopes and in quiet resorts. Whilst she enjoys the skiing its not a 'holiday' being responsible for loads of kids. The hassle organising it, managing parents expectations, conducting risk assessments and lots of other issues. I am not sure if she will run many more as its a total pain in the rear.

Whilst many teachers may enjoy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike-H wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, Is spot on.

Mrs H is a teacher and organises the ski trip so I have some knowledge.

If your kids school allows trips during term time then the price as you would expect is a lot cheaper. Many schools do not so half term trips cost about £900 upwards. That's for a coach journey. With a flight it's about £1000 upwards. If you want resorts like Val or La Plagne then the cost increases further. You would be surprised how pushing it over £1k affects the number of sign ups.

I personally think its a decent price. All inclusive - ski hire, food, soft drinks, morning and afternoon lessons, transfers the lot. There are normally extra activities in the evening like toboggan, karaoke, cinema etc. and these are again included in the price.

Mrs H selects hotels near the slopes and in quiet resorts. Whilst she enjoys the skiing its not a 'holiday' being responsible for loads of kids. The hassle organising it, managing parents expectations, conducting risk assessments and lots of other issues. I am not sure if she will run many more as its a total pain in the rear.

Whilst many teachers may enjoy

There's a LOT that can go wrong on a school ski holiday. You don't get thanked by the 59 kids' parents who had a great time. You get greeted off the bus after a 28 hour journey by Mr and Mrs Angry who's obese child doesn't like pasta, cold, exercise, heights, other children, coach journeys, foreigners, listening, teachers, tight boots, walking, skiing, garlic....... - yet they chose to go on a school ski trip to Italy.

That said, introducing young people to your passion and, hopefully sparking a lifelong love if skiing is very rewarding.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You get greeted off the bus after a 28 hour journey by Mr and Mrs Angry who's obese child doesn't like pasta, cold, exercise, heights, other children, coach journeys, foreigners, listening, teachers, tight boots, walking, skiing, garlic....... - yet they chose to go on a school ski trip to Italy.

Laughing and then vomited over you on the coach having spent all his holiday money on sweets
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last year Mrs H got delayed on a ferry crossing for 14 hours (I am sure the weather was discussed on here last Feb half term) and then the coach broke down on the return journey in France and they had to wait about 12 hours for a different bus. Mrs H has vowed never again will she use a coach.

And yes. Mr and Mrs Angry turned up defend their child who was caught smoking.
ski holidays
Quote:

It was very icy and on the last day one unfortunate lad broke BOTH legs in a fall. He was delayed in flying home and a teacher had to wait with him. Just as they were about to fly that pesky volcano blew its top in Iceland and they were delayed for another couple of weeks.

Shocked Laughing
snow report
My brother went to Andalo and Caspoggio with his school (a secondary modern!); my school (a grammar school, of course wink ) went to Sauze D'Oulx at Easter 1973 with a company called SkiPlan. We stayed in the Hotel Monte Genevris and I saw hole-in-the-ground toilets for the first time - very educational. The following year we went to Pfunds in Austria and were bussed in to Nauders each day. The company was called BW Tours. I also went to Italy and to Scotland with an organisation called the Young Skiers Association.

School trips were a great way to get hooked - my brother is currently in Kuhtai on the SIGB ski tests and I'm getting my kit ready for a trip to Switzerland. It certainly did the trick with us.

I remember taking a savings card with a £1 note each week to pay off a little of the cost of the holiday. Nowadays, the same school goes to Heavenly at a cost of thousands of pounds. I'm not sure that's quite in the spirit of access for all that we had in my day...
snow report
My eldest just took the school ski trip.
5 days full tuition on Attitash Mountian in the US. Plus 2 days sight seeing in New York. £1500 paid over 18 months.
She left as a Snowboarder, and came back a Snowboarder who can ski.
Trip of lifetime, worth every penny, just for once regretting that I have 3 kids..
ski holidays
Those costs are sky high. My first trip was with Oak Hall, by coach, and they will (certainly used to) put on a dedicated trip for around half the costs mentioned here.

Just had a look, and they still to similar trips to the same hotel I went to 20 years ago for around £500 (when ski hire and lift pass are included) !

http://www.oakhall.co.uk/winter/jungfrau
ski holidays
My son will be going to 3V over New Year for £1150. Flying from Scotland, all inclusive with 6x4hr lessons and evening entertainment. I am sure he will have a blast.
latest report
@LOTA,

you're right it was Pfunds we were in being bused up to Nauders - I shall go and edit my post!
snow report
If your kids are going to a big resort, it's generally for the staff. Most kids on trips are relatively inexperienced and don't need a big resort. I always used to choose one where the easy blues went from the top of the mountain so they could all enjoy the views and get the satisfaction of skiing top to bottom. If you being asked to stump up a load of cash for a first school trip to a big resort, with little beginner skiing high up then their teachers are taking you for a bit of a ride.
snow conditions
I would have to disagree with your last post Cameronphillips2000. Trips are arranged for children of all abilities. A larger resort will generally cater for that. So no, i don't think the teachers are taking you for a ride. They are attemptong to choose a resort which caters for all abilities.
snow report
james75 wrote:
I would have to disagree with your last post Cameronphillips2000. Trips are arranged for children of all abilities. A larger resort will generally cater for that. So no, i don't think the teachers are taking you for a ride. They are attemptong to choose a resort which caters for all abilities.

There a few schools where some of the children will have been every year since they were five but these are few and far between. These children go with their parents so taking them to an expensive ski resort is hardly an 'educational' experience. The vast majority of British ski school trips are for 1 to 2 week skiers. Taking them somewhere with a massive expensive lift pass is rather self indulgent IMHO. I had friends who used to run a ski trip to the States every year. The parents would stump up well over a grand for the vast majority of the kids to be stuck on the nursery slopes for a week whilst the staff were having the time of their lives....
latest report
I went away several times with school.

1 x coach trip to Courmayeur. Stayed a little distance from the slopes and bussed in and out every day. As others have said, its useful for keeping track of everyone and we used the coach in the evenings e.g. to go ice skating. All meals included although lunch was usually a meager slice of pizza. All via Interski I think. Something like 4 hours of instruction a day, plus 2 hours of teacher led skiing (1h pre and 1 hour post lessons). Expect the teacher led skiing is gone now. Talking about a full coach of kids here.

1 x coach trip to La Thuille. Stayed right at the base of the slopes in the Planibel. Much better accommodation and food. Used the coach to go to restaurants in the evening. Same lesson set up. All through InterSki and all meals provided. Full coach.

1 x coach trip to Cranz Montana. Not so nice hostel accommodation. Bus to the slopes every day again. Pretty full coach.

1 x flight to LAKE THAOE and a day shopping in San Fran. VERY expensive. Over £1.2k back in 2002ish. Hardly anyone went, like, 10 people. It was more Mrs Teacher and Friends trip really. Mainly bl00dy crap tuition as we took out some stupid girl who must have been level 1 dry slope only or something instead of paying for real tuition so I got totally screwed over as a snowboarder. Skiers got real ski school.

1 x flight to Val D in sixth form. More independent, only sixth former's. No busing about and no tuition.

If I were a teacher and had to manage loads of under 16 year olds I'd defo do coach, and probably stay a little way from the slopes. Cheaper and easier to manage.
latest report
Interesting topic.... My year 5 girly had a fab time in Italy this half term... Flying and expensive as ended up being 15 in party not 20.... But as a good skier relative to lots of kids she still obviously enjoyed herself.
Elder one brought home ski letter for next half term to go to Mnt Tremblant, CA next half term.... And we are not going to send her. Long flight in Economy, jet lag and resort I wouldn't be picking if it were me just make it a better option for her to ski with us next half term and fingers crossed for more sensible destination in2017. Longhaul for 5 days East Coast skiing makes no sense to me!!
latest report
katedenhaag wrote:
Interesting topic.... My year 5 girly had a fab time in Italy this half term... Flying and expensive as ended up being 15 in party not 20.... But as a good skier relative to lots of kids she still obviously enjoyed herself.
Elder one brought home ski letter for next half term to go to Mnt Tremblant, CA next half term.... And we are not going to send her. Long flight in Economy, jet lag and resort I wouldn't be picking if it were me just make it a better option for her to ski with us next half term and fingers crossed for more sensible destination in2017. Longhaul for 5 days East Coast skiing makes no sense to me!!

Taking kids to the East coast is ridiculous. It's generally cold and icy. It's teachers wanting to go shopping for a day....
snow report
I've done loads of school ski trips. A few points:-

Hotels are difficult to get at 1/2 term. Demand is high and therefore costs are high, so those further away from resort often provide a better standard of accommodation for a reasonable price

Most schools aren't now allowed to let the kids ski outside of lessons, therefore a coach journey kills "dead" time. Kids can get up to far less trouble on a coach than they can in the hotel. On school trips, most serious incidents happen during free time (ie time not directly supervised).

Flying is quicker, but often comes with a host of other difficulties. A few years ago I travelled with a group of 42 middle school kids. We flew BA, and most of the kids had never been on a plane before. Herding them around the airport was the 1st challenge, and then when we came to check in (as a group you couldn't check in online), the only seats left on the plane were the middle of each block of 3 seats. We then had turbulance (seatbelts on, no one move) - cue 20 frightened kids in tears, sat next to strangers. I won't mention the lost luggage!!

School ski trips aren't designed for snowHeads. If your kids want to go, they will enjoy it, but many of you will just pick holes in every part of the trip. School ski trips are for the kids of people who don't ski, and can't take their kids on multiple family ski trips, but want to give them the opportunity to try something that we have all fallen in love with. So if your kid wants to go on their school ski trip, make a decision on that basis. They probably won't get to ski as much as they would on a family holiday, but they will have a great time with their mates and generally won't care that they had to be on a coach, that the equipment wasn't platinum standard or that they ate chips every day!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B wrote:
I've done loads of school ski trips. A few points:-

Hotels are difficult to get at 1/2 term. Demand is high and therefore costs are high, so those further away from resort often provide a better standard of accommodation for a reasonable price

Most schools aren't now allowed to let the kids ski outside of lessons, therefore a coach journey kills "dead" time. Kids can get up to far less trouble on a coach than they can in the hotel. On school trips, most serious incidents happen during free time (ie time not directly supervised).

Flying is quicker, but often comes with a host of other difficulties. A few years ago I travelled with a group of 42 middle school kids. We flew BA, and most of the kids had never been on a plane before. Herding them around the airport was the 1st challenge, and then when we came to check in (as a group you couldn't check in online), the only seats left on the plane were the middle of each block of 3 seats. We then had turbulance (seatbelts on, no one move) - cue 20 frightened kids in tears, sat next to strangers. I won't mention the lost luggage!!

School ski trips aren't designed for snowHeads. If your kids want to go, they will enjoy it, but many of you will just pick holes in every part of the trip. School ski trips are for the kids of people who don't ski, and can't take their kids on multiple family ski trips, but want to give them the opportunity to try something that we have all fallen in love with. So if your kid wants to go on their school ski trip, make a decision on that basis. They probably won't get to ski as much as they would on a family holiday, but they will have a great time with their mates and generally won't care that they had to be on a coach, that the equipment wasn't platinum standard or that they ate chips every day!!

Pretty much sums it up.

I've had many skiing holidays but the two most enjoyable were when went with my school when I was in sixth form. Pal in Andorra and Andalo in Italy. Unbelievably great times.
latest report
Not my kids but me - I went to Canada aged 12 - Feb 2001 - Either £650 or £750 (probably) - about 90 kids went - BARGAIN!
Just a standard secondary school btw.

Heathrow to Toronto ---- Bus Trip/Overnight stay at Niagara Falls ---- Internal Flight Toronto to Montreal ---- 4-5hr Bus to Quebec City as the base --- 2-3 days skiing at Mt Stoneham --- 3 days + at Mont St Anne inc Night Skiing then bus to Montreal ---- Montreal to Toronto ---- then back to Heathrow ---- arriving back Sunday lunchtime IIRC.

Stayed in Quebec City in a massive Holiday Inn in the centre, very snowy overlooking an old church. Transfers to and from the mountain were fine, early breakfasts. Had girls from a different school one night in our room just playing cards and listening to music (harmless tbh) and got threatened with no skiing for the rest of the holiday (scandalous!) a couple of lads were stopped for half a day.

I remember it being very snowy and incredibly cold - my jacket zip stuck to my throat and had to use a cup of hot chocolate to get it off!! Overriding memories from 14 years ago are - Limp Bizkit playing on huge speakers in Mt St Anne Snowpark, "The Sugar Shack" Maple syrup rolled on ice on a bench lollies (1 DOLLAR!!) and the "L'Foret Enchantee" run, oh and pi**ed up teachers/husbands...

GOOD TIMES

Side note - My brother broke his collarbone when doing his best Marcel Hirscher impression on a School Trip to Bad Gastein around 2007 and was treated very well by local hospital and still enjoyed the last 3 days of his trip and I have a mate broke his arm when they were being left to there own devices one year.

He jumped out of a first story window to avoid being caught in some girls from another schools room, he didnt say anything for the next two days, got home went to the hospital and it was broken oops!
ski holidays
Quote:

Words of wisdom I think.
I got my first experience of skiing on two school trips - first to Voss in Norway (lived in NE - relatively cheap I think) and once to Les Carroz. I loved it. My family didn't have the money or inclination (at least were not willing to sacrifice other things) for family skiing holidays so this was the way I got started on something which has been a great joy to me. Both of my trips were in term time - I was at a comp in the NE. I'm not sure that many parents would have been able to afford school holiday prices. Unless your kids are at a school with very affluent parents, I really struggle to understand why it makes sense to go to "top" resorts or cross the Atlantic - surely the additional cost just excludes some kids? Seems to me that they kids who would really appreciate 3V or EK over somewhere more humble will already be doing loads of skiing with their families and are not really the priority?

My kids have been skiing every year since they were 4, most years more than one trip. We've now bought a place in the Alps. We and they are very lucky. To us a school trip would be much more expensive than a week in our place. For that to be justified it would have to be for non-skiing reasons - going away with their mates etc. I'm pretty sure they will go on a school trip or two, I know my oldest is already looking forward to when he can do that. I'm also quite sure he will do less interesting skiing than he would with me. But that won't be the point.
snow conditions
I was never allowed to go on a school trip.

They weren't for the likes of us Sad
ski holidays
Quote:

Taking kids to the East coast is ridiculous. It's generally cold and icy. It's teachers wanting to go shopping for a day....

My understanding is that the main rationale for taking school trips to USA is it is far easier to control access to alcohol and the East coast is a fair bit cheaper to arrange than the west.
ski holidays
Quote:

He jumped out of a first story window to avoid being caught in some girls from another schools room, he didnt say anything for the next two days, got home went to the hospital and it was broken oops!

Laughing
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, Sad I had to pay for half of mine (paper round) and save for my own spending money
latest report
@Mosha Marc, Likewise. I remember one year a school trip being organised to Butlins. Too expensive for Dad, so I spent one half term at home like billy no mates.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

My understanding is that the main rationale for taking school trips to USA is it is far easier to control access to alcohol and the East coast is a fair bit cheaper to arrange than the west.

Snowed alot when I was there but was cold and one day when we did night skiing it was -30C!

Still it was absolutely brilliant.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

He said he rolled when landing thinking he was James Bond and didn't feel it at the time...must have been the Booze Jacket (he was 17 in France)
snow report
@jedster, My first school trip was to Voss as well. In fact we shared digs (seemed community centre-like, iirc) and lessons with a school from NE England. One of the guys from that school broke his leg on a jump and the rest of us, thinking the instructor was waving us on, not shaking his pole telling us to stop, all had to narrowly avoid him as he lay in agony. It was '82 as I remember the NE English kids telling us we were at war when they turned up, we must have arrived a day or so earlier.

Coach was never an option for us (far too far away) so most of us got our first ride in a plane.

Quote:

Most schools aren't now allowed to let the kids ski outside of lessons

I wonder when that started? As we were definitely allowed our own ski time.
ski holidays
I used to love my school trips - as I'd started young skiing with the old man in the early 80's, I was always able to go off with the ski guide and the "cool" 6th formers while my usual 12 / 13 / 14 year old classmates were on the green slopes. I remember Les Menuires, Crans Montanta and La Plagne all in the late 80's - we always flew though, albeit coached down to somewhere south from the north East. I did a couple of the BUSC trips - by coach from London - with the Uni ski club too in the early 90's.
I am sure, if the boys' senior schools offer it, we'll let them go on school ski trips although I can't see the point of 5 days skiing in the US, with all the associated travel. If they're off on a ski trip, I'd expect 6 full days skiing!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy