Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on Obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
@Bene, Good choice, will be very interested to hear how you find it. It certainly looks the part, its very impressive as you drive through the village towards it. €70 to keep a car warm and dry and secure for a week isn't much?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First impressions are a bit disappointing, all a bit bleak but the gloomy weather doesn't help. Expected a bigger village with more cafes and places to eat. Thought it would be more like the Dolomites. Lifts look nice and fast though.

Had reasonably priced lunch but the restaurant reeked of cigarette smoke.

Up the hill tomorrow. Should be good I hope.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robboj, Cheers, turns out at this stage of the season parking is gratis so that's a bonus too! They've a lot off different room choices which is quite unusual for a hotel of this size-IME. Guess all the rooms aren't of uniform size so they charge accordingly.

The difference between a shared transfer and just hiring a car is more than a lift pass difference so driving looks like the way to go. Not driven in the Alps in the during the season so will have to do some investigating.

Will be looking for a guide for at least a day but will wait until closer to the time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Juddernaut, Give it time, constantly comparing or wishing you were somewhere else is never a good start!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpenaussicht a bit disappointing I sad to say. Excellent sized suite but the rest of it leaves a bit to be desired. About to test the brekky.

@Bene, hearing you mate. Trying to like it and not compare but thus far not rating the feel of the place. Hoping things pick up on the slopes but very bleak outside
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpenaussicht a bit disappointing I sad to say. Excellent sized suite but the rest of it leaves a bit to be desired. About to test the brekky.

Hotel Wifi pathetic.

@Bene, hearing you mate. Trying to like it and not compare but thus far not rating the feel of the place. Hoping things pick up on the slopes but very bleak outside
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Location wise you will be hard to beat the edelweiss. Make sure you visit nedderhutte, it is a big reason people go back year after year! Nice Lucy at hoe mutte and David's hutte. Looks like a big dump of snow this weekend to top things up till Easter at least.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@globalbagtag.com, I am writing this from Nederhutte (great free wifi here). Minestrone looks and smells great. Slopes are carnage. Lots of out of control skiers on rammed slopes. Two stretcher cases this morning already.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been considering Obergurgl for all the obvious reasons, high snowsure etc. but one of the things that had always been a consideration was whether there was much going on in the village or just hotels.

@Juddernaut, your post makes me think that might be a concern. Always like places with a good few shops, bars etc. Is it a 'just stay in the hotel' type of resort?

Otherwise seriously tempted.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just spent a week in Obergurgl and stayed at Alpina Deluxe for the 2nd year running.
Hotel is brilliant in every single aspect except for the poor quality of the wifi in the rooms. (But do you really need that?)
The ski area (Obergurgl/Hochgurgl) is great for all levels as long as there is a good covering of snow for the easily accessible off piste.
Otherwise it might be a bit limited for piste mileage junkies.
Lots of people on the slopes who should still be in lessons, but that is not just an Obergurgl issue.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Make sure you do the Scherm run in Hochgurgl all the way to the bottom at Untergurgl. Sausages at the Top Hotel in Hochgurgl are great as is the view from the terrace.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rowlski, There is not much apart from the hotels, a couple of bars, maybe 4 ski shops and a couple of souvenir shops. Not a place to take a non skier unless they are happy just to lounge and spa all day. That said these are things I normally like and I really enjoyed it.

As far as busy is concerned I just avoid these weeks. On the w/c 18th January it was, quiet literally, empty.

Crap WiFi would appear to be an Austria wide problem. They seem to think its sufficient to have it so that they can advertise it. The fact that its so useless that they might as well not bother doesn't seem to register?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj wrote:
@Rowlski, There is not much apart from the hotels, a couple of bars, maybe 4 ski shops and a couple of souvenir shops. Not a place to take a non skier unless they are happy just to lounge and spa all day. That said these are things I normally like and I really enjoyed it.

As far as busy is concerned I just avoid these weeks. On the w/c 18th January it was, quiet literally, empty.

Crap WiFi would appear to be an Austria wide problem. They seem to think its sufficient to have it so that they can advertise it. The fact that its so useless that they might as well not bother doesn't seem to register?

Just have to go skiing then

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm would work for me but the missus may well be bored. She's not a complete non skier but not that bothered so wants somewhere with a decent village too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rowlski wrote:
I have been considering Obergurgl for all the obvious reasons, high snowsure etc. but one of the things that had always been a consideration was whether there was much going on in the village or just hotels.

@Juddernaut, your post makes me think that might be a concern. Always like places with a good few shops, bars etc. Is it a 'just stay in the hotel' type of resort?

Otherwise seriously tempted.

Definitely "a stay in the hotel" type of place. Not many eateries around because it seems most people go half board option.

The skiing is very much go up mountain, go down mountain. Not much sense of travel like you get on Sella Ronda, Grand Massif, Monte Rosa, Portes du Soleil etc.

In the Dolomites, my wife has lots of options outside of skiing and the food, coffee, scenery etc is better. I would also argue the skiing is better in all the places I mentioned above. Obergurgl has great lift infrastructure though and is snow sure. That said Madonna Di Campiglio looks like it has more snow than here at the moment.
latest report
For those who like to get online whilst holidaying in Europe I'd recommend 3 mobile whose ever extending 'Feel at home' network covers most of the big European ski areas i.e. France, Italy, and Austria.

Essentially you just use your allowance as you would at time including unlimited data. I do 60% plus of my skiing as a solo traveller so being able keep in touch with home is good plus I usually have to answer a few work related calls/emails when I'm off work. You can't use you're phone as a hot sport though when aboard but if you have a larger screened smart phone it's normally enough I find although I also have some mirror software which effectively brings up what's on my phone on my laptop.

On a recent trip to Gressoney I had full coverage all over the area-better than I get at home!

As per a few comments I'm a quality over quantity sort when it comes to on piste skiing. In my earlier ski days when I'd done no off piste I quite liked the feel of 'travelling' over a large area. Now I prefer quiet areas where the pistes are quiet to dead through the week and the off piste tracks out slowly if at all if you know the area well.
ski holidays
We always stay in the Alpina. Lovely swimming pool, sauna and spa. http://www.hotelalpina.com/wellness-hotel-tyrol-spa-treatments.html

Snow has always held up for us late season and you can point the skis down the hill from the Nederhutte (best après ski) and ski to the boot room.

We usually go to the high mileage resorts with a group and go to Obergurgl as a couple for an early/late week skiing. Late in the season, get up early, ski hard before 1pm and take it leisurely after that. Agreed that the pistes are not tough if you are an expert skier, but they are fun! snowHead
snow conditions
@pc, thanks sounds good to me! We've booked into the Burgwelt now. I'm going to try my very best to make this more of a holiday for my other half rather than my usual style of having to be on the first lift and one of the last ones down of the mountain! So more leisurely starts, longer lunches, and if it's particulary warm and slushy perhaps retiring early for the day.

I do plan to get a guide one day while the wife enjoys the spa!
snow report
I love Obergurgl and Hochgurgl - skiing is great and we went in April and still had snowfall during the nights and powder during the day. The lift over to Hochgurgl isn't too bad and it's worth going up to the highest pub and looking over into Italy. Make sure you get to Nederhutte on a live music night - get there early enough for a seat (around 4) - 1 of the best apre ski pubs I've ever been too. You can take a day out to Solden if need be but I found the lifts at Solden more crowded than Obergurgl and the town wasn't so quaint. We also stayed in the Alpina and although it is ski-in, the last bit is a stretch for poling..... Burgwelt looks great - enjoy, enjoy!
snow report
@Migmad, Cheers! Powder by night and sunny days is always the dream for any trip! Do the US ski team still train up in Hochgurgl?

We'll play it by ear but might get the Solden pass if it's only an extra tenner. I think we'll be fine in the area for a week.

Cheers
snow conditions
Not sure about the US ski team - I am from South Africa so actually know very little . You will have an absolute ball in Obergurl and Hoch, especially with a night out in the Nederhutte. Solden also had quite a nice pub with great vibe and music on the run down to Solden from Hochsolden so definitely worth a day trip as well. You can't go wrong with both resorts and will have a ball!
snow report
Weather was perfect yesterday until about 2pm. Whiteout today. Went to Hochgurgl yesterday, where the view from the top to the Dollies is magnificent. Skied all of Hochgurgl and Obergurgl in the two days we have been here. Quick lifts make it easy to rack up mileage, but there isn't a lot here compared to other places we have skied. Need to head to Solden but forecast not good for rest of week.

US ski team do train here according to posters around town.
snow report
@Juddernaut, Seems like your enjoying it a bit more? How's the off piste?
ski holidays
@Juddernaut, @Bene, they tend to be on the slopes around Sölden (particularly the Gaislachkogl area) where their base actually is. They use Obergurgl/Hochgurgl early in the season though I believe.
ski holidays
@Bene, we aren't major off piste types. We do stashes close to the groomed stuff. Saw an amazing dude drop down from a cliff top yesterday. Balls like melons.

This is our 2nd and last Austrian stint. It is OK but Dollies so much better. I wondered why there are so many Austrian plated cars in the Dollies, but now I can see why.

All that said I am sure you will have a blast.
snow conditions
@Juddernaut, I still need to scratch the Dolomites itch but was somewhat limited to choices due the time of year. I had considered the Dollies (are they even open?!) wouldn't have been an option.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, Oh no I'd Lindsey Vonn had property in the area and wanted her autograph! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Bene, her property was in Kirchberg by Kitzbühel and she sold it when she divorced Thomas Vonn. The US ski team have a large property that they have rented somewhere in or around Sölden. Vonn does not do "team training" except for publicity purposes. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going to Obergurgl in 2 weeks (mid week flight to Innsbruck and hiring a car).

What seems strange is the short opening times for lifts: 9am to 4pm. Lazy bugs - Kitz, Saalbach and many others I expect are open 8:30 to 4:30 on many lifts.
snow report
@buchanan101, Let me know how you get on! 9 is about right in the resorts I can actually remember what the opening times were recently, it’s a while since I was in Kitzbuhel. They do offer night skiing in Obergurgl not sure on the frequency.
snow report
Night skiing is Tuesday only on one run... shown on the piste map.

Kitz and Saalbach gondolas from the towns fire up at 8:30. And lifts shut down in those resorts 4 to 4:30 depending on how far away they are. I guess in Obergurgl go as high as you can at 4...
snow report
You need to be at the Nederhutte by 4ish to get a table anyway, so lift closes at 4 should not matter too much! 😝
ski holidays
Scheissen weather forced cancellation of night skiing tonight. Couldn't be bothered skiiing in muck today so we caught bus to Solden village. Bigger then Obergurgl, more places to eat out, more titty bars, more chavs. Hoping weather clears tomorrow so we can check out Solden runs. Surprised to see fairly thin snow cover down at village level.

@buchanan101, We were surprised by opening hours but one thing Obergurgl has going for it is the great lifts. No queues at 9:00am, straight on and up mountian in no time. I can't remember what time Schwarzsee lift in Zermatt opens but we got there 20 minutes before opening time and there was already a good 40 minute queue in front of us.
snow report
Snowy123 wrote:
You need to be at the Nederhutte by 4ish to get a table anyway, so lift closes at 4 should not matter too much! 😝

true - it's the 8:30 start I would miss - always good to get the freshly pisted runs before anyone else, though I guess this is still the case at 9..

I will have to get from hotel (Alpen Wellness) up little Weisenlift, down to bottom of Festkogelbahn up that then down Blue 6 to bottom of HoheMutbahn by 9:30 (ski club GB meet). Easy warm up and saves any walking - it's my first ski in/ski out so I'm making the most of it. Should be easy I think.
snow report
@buchanan101, I always stay at that end of town and as long as you catch the lift shortly after it opens, won't have a problem getting to the meeting point at the Edelweiss for 9.30. The SCGB usually take the Rosskar lift, so after the first day you could maybe arrange to meet at the top where Rosskar and Festkogl converge (just about).
snow report
Kelskii wrote:
@buchanan101, I always stay at that end of town and as long as you catch the lift shortly after it opens, won't have a problem getting to the meeting point at the Edelweiss for 9.30. The SCGB usually take the Rosskar lift, so after the first day you could maybe arrange to meet at the top where Rosskar and Festkogl converge (just about).

Thanks for the info. I quite fancy the warm up down an easy blue.. used to do it up the Hahnemkamm and down the Streif in Kitz before SCGB meet and i think that is a tougher/longer run (even if it doesn't have the worst parts of the race course in it). Up and down in about 15/20 mins I think.

Rosskar is the chair? I guess it has more central access to the skiing than the HuheMutbahn.
ski holidays
@buchanan101, you could also go onto black 8 which isn't very steep and is a bit more direct than blue 6. Just keep to skier's left when you set off from the top of Festkogl and head towards Plattachbahn mid-station and then onto black 8. Yes, taking the Hohe Mut Bahn only gives you the option of coming back down one piste or the more interesting steeper/bumpier itinerary, whereas Rosskar gives you access to Plattach bahn and the Top Express to Hochgurgl.
latest report
@Juddernaut,
Quote:

Solden village. Bigger then Obergurgl, more places to eat out, more titty bars, more chavs. Hoping weather clears tomorrow so we can check out Solden runs. Surprised to see fairly thin snow cover down at village level.

The only time I've seen Solden was in March last year as we came through on the bus. The part of the town you can see from the main road looked incredibly grim but what shocked and depressed me was the complete lack of snow. The pisteurs had barely managed to maintain a slushy brown smear into town to maintain a pretence of being accessibly but it in reality I think you would have had to take the lift down. The skiing up high might have been amazing, but.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, I didn't ski in Austria last season did they have a relatively poor one? Solden is relatively high for an Austrian resort at nearly 1400m, if you apply the general formula as it's further east, I forget is it 500m or 300m? You'd expect the home runs to be in better nick than that. Never been anywhere that you've had to download at the end of the day due to lack of snow come to think of it. The includes the happy valley in St Anton in April!
snow report
Bene wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, I didn't ski in Austria last season did they have a relatively poor one? Solden is relatively high for an Austrian resort at nearly 1400m, if you apply the general formula as it's further east, I forget is it 500m or 300m? You'd expect the home runs to be in better nick than that. Never been anywhere that you've had to download at the end of the day due to lack of snow come to think of it. The includes the happy valley in St Anton in April!

They say add 30% to the height to equate to French resorts I think.

It's not as far east as some though...say 25% Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy