Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
@stuarth,

Agreed.

I remember arriving in March 2005, just as it started snowing, having watched the snow repors with increasing trepidation right through the winter (I think that was also the year that @Hells Bells was there). I had a blast.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Acacia,
But it did right royally suck just before that. I remember having a day at the start of march 2005 watching people fall into the icy saddle entrance, before hitting some icy rollers on the double black burnt stew trail before declaring Whistler un-skiable and going for a run in Seppos (the bar in the roundhouse!) snowHead
Then went biking until it snowed (which it most definitely did just after we borrowed some bikes. I like to think I contributed to that by giving up skiing and going biking - I shall try and do the same this year snowHead )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth wrote:
chrisJersey wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I think that is a good call. .

Ok, I'm going to say it since I've been alluding to it for a while.
I don't think it's a good call - switching to a different continent (or the other side of this one) might be, but the whole of the PNW including most (all?) of the major resorts in BC are having a crappy snow year so far, is Sun Peaks an exception? So switching from the one with the biggest mountains and the only one that actually stayed open the last time it was really crappy at this time of year, doesn't seem like that good an idea. Also if it continues on the downward spiral, where would you rather be Vancouver or Kamloops? (no offense intended to Kamloops locals, but I think even the one in the cube next to me might agree! Razz )

Sorry - lack of snow must be making me grumpy! Madeye-Smiley

I'm comfortable with the call. I think sun peaks has less rain and lower temps thus far, same for the forecast. I just can't get enthused for whistler this season. I've been before in march and it rained a lot that time as well. We went to sun peaks last season and loved it.. If the snow is pants then its pants and probably wouldn't matter which resort I'm in. call it a gamble I'm prepared to take. It won't be the end if the world if ive made a wrong call. Vancouver vs kamloops point is irrelevant to me as I wouldn't want to spend time in either especially.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i was in whistler in march 2005, and although el nino had done its worst , myself and my two sons had a great time , as @stuarth says its the biggest hill with the most options on and off the snow . worst thing we had to to do was download from mid station a couple of times , i have had to do that in chamonix this year even after 1m+ dumps . but if people stay away there , no worries as there will be more for me snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dabber, i don't need any options for off the snow. .I can read anywhere. It will be interesting when we all report back
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, i get your drift , but a spot of storm watching over on vancouver island , or some winter mtb action on the north shore , or maybe a lap or two of the coastal gravity park would be better than nothing wink

but i honestly think things will improve soon so we'lll all be sorted Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dabber, I'm sure you would enjoy all of that Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Acacia wrote:
@stuarth,

Agreed.

I remember arriving in March 2005, just as it started snowing, having watched the snow reports with increasing trepidation right through the winter (I think that was also the year that @Hells Bells was there). I had a blast.

It certainly was. I remember thinking how awful it would be to go to bare slopes and torrential rain, as I think the Pineapple Express had paid a visit. There was even talk of the resort closing at one point.
We certainly had plenty to ski on when we got there though it was quite heavy going at times.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells wrote:

It certainly was. I remember thinking how awful it would be to go to bare slopes and torrential rain, as I think the Pineapple Express had paid a visit.

Apparently it was a Tropical Punch that year as well as the odd Pineapple Express Madeye-Smiley

Big difference that year was that the rain was interspersed by very cold dry periods (WB didn't have a big fat water pipe then so ran out of snowmaking water, they put that in for the Olympics).
This year it has been pretty much consistently warm, and mostly wet
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today, Thursday 12th WB time, up top was really quite good snow conditions. It was snowing a fair bit and visibility was pretty decent.

It was a fair bit colder today hence down to mid-station on both mountains was not as slushy as previous days.

Towards the end of the day, 315pm, freezing point seemed to rise such that there was rain at the round point... Not good...

Touch wood though that snow continues to fall higher up and tomorrow morning should be pretty decent, every thing crossed!

Peak to Creek, albeit cold and blustery up top, as well as 7th Heaven were the places to play today.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

@Acacia,
But it did right royally suck just before that. I remember having a day at the start of march 2005 watching people fall into the icy saddle entrance, before hitting some icy rollers on the double black burnt stew trail before declaring Whistler un-skiable and going for a run in Seppos (the bar in the roundhouse!)
Then went biking until it snowed (which it most definitely did just after we borrowed some bikes. I like to think I contributed to that by giving up skiing and going biking - I shall try and do the same this year )

Get on yer bike before the 3rd of March please fella! Myself and the Wife to be would really appreciate it!!! NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B1g_browner wrote:
Quote:

@Acacia,
But it did right royally suck just before that. I remember having a day at the start of march 2005 watching people fall into the icy saddle entrance, before hitting some icy rollers on the double black burnt stew trail before declaring Whistler un-skiable and going for a run in Seppos (the bar in the roundhouse!)
Then went biking until it snowed (which it most definitely did just after we borrowed some bikes. I like to think I contributed to that by giving up skiing and going biking - I shall try and do the same this year )

Get on yer bike before the 3rd of March please fella! Myself and the Wife to be would really appreciate it!!! NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

Will do snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx,
A short report from Sun Peaks.its been raining in the village but its holding up quite well best skiing is on morrisey and crystal and top of the world.
As we have the best conditions the weekends have been busy. Mid week no queues at all. But serious low cloud good thing that there are lots of trees.
Nights have been below zero and the forecast is for colder weather with some snow over the weekend.
We have one week left here.
Last weekend the resort was full of vancouverites who had made the 5hr drive for the better conditions. Could not get a seat in a restaurant at lunch. Its going to be the same this weekend, or so the ski school have told us.
We will ski back home for lunch this weekend now we know, and everone can ski! At least enough to get back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@joneski, good to hear it's holding up - def looks a lot better at village level than Whistler. I love Morrisey. Please report again through the week Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joneski wrote:
@holidayloverxx,
A short report from Sun Peaks.its been raining in the village but its holding up quite well best skiing is on morrisey and crystal and top of the world.
As we have the best conditions the weekends have been busy. Mid week no queues at all. But serious low cloud good thing that there are lots of trees.
Nights have been below zero and the forecast is for colder weather with some snow over the weekend.
We have one week left here.
Last weekend the resort was full of vancouverites who had made the 5hr drive for the better conditions. Could not get a seat in a restaurant at lunch. Its going to be the same this weekend, or so the ski school have told us.
We will ski back home for lunch this weekend now we know, and everone can ski! At least enough to get back.

Last weekend was BC family day long weekend, that's probably why it was busy (and might be this weekend too if people took the whole week off as it was a short week - not a whole lot of annual vacation in N.America so people make the most of stat holidays).
You'd have to be insane to drive 5hrs from Vancouver over the Coquihalla just for a day or 2 skiing.
snow report
@stuarth, I suppose needs must. I went overnight on the eurostar to Les Arcs for 1 days skiing and back the same day...twice!
snow conditions
I have been to Whistler in December for the last 3 years, and will there again in March.

- In 11/12 the season opened to powder after a big November snowfall, and then suffered a massive temperature inversion for 2 weeks. By the time I got there conditions were appalling.

- In 12/13 the snow was reasonable, then there was a massive snowfall, giving 3.4m in Dec. I finally got to experience Whistler as it should be.

- In 13/14 very poor start to the season, and little new snow, and man made from mid stations down to the village. I decided to give up on December and try March.

The WB website yearly weather stats shows that on average March has the most snow during the season........Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow................please.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/weather-and-mountain-stats.aspx
snow conditions
Today, Friday and President's day, it is raining all the way to the highest accessible locations, Symphony, Crystal Hut, etc with 7th Heaven and Peak closed due to high winds...

Not pleasant at all so d/l at midday...

Weather is meant to be colder but nicer over next few days.
ski holidays
Just to give you an idea just how grim it is round here at the moment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cypress-mountain-closes-due-to-lack-of-snow-in-vancouver-1.2952523

I had an ok couple of days there (on nearly all man-made snow, admittedly) right at the start of Winter, but it's like early June up there right now. Unless we get a mahoosive snowfall, I can't see this or any other North Shore resorts reopening.

Whistler is of course higher, further north, and a better aspect, so the situation up there isn't so dramatic - but temps are remarkably high and all it does is rain rain rain.
latest report
@Mr Pieholeo, you should have stayed around La Clusaz; pretty nice up there, I think.

There's no such thing as "snowsure" other than a glacier. And there aren't as many of those, or as big, as there used to be.
snow report
I speak Canadian better than I speak French though eh.
ski holidays
@Mr Pieholeo,
Guess you better get on yer bike too! It's the way forward, abandon the ski season, achieve inner peace and all that (I must have been living in Deep Cove too long already!), then when it snows it'll be even better - though of course who knows, you may be waiting until November for that wink

And another bonus... bet you don't feel so bad about missing out on all the earlybird season pass offers now (except Whistler maybe)?!
Days this season with my Grouse pass = 0
Days this season with my Seymour pass = 0
Days this season with my Whistler pass = quite a lot, partly due to the above! snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 14-02-15 22:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@stuarth

Coming out to North Vancouver early March to sort new apt Very Happy is it worth fetching my bike as would like to get some practice in for the BCBR later this year , but wasn't sure whether it is possible to ride the North shore mtns in winter ??
snow conditions
Due to go our to Whistler first two weeks of March from the UK. Starting to panic a bit and unsure whether I shout try to get refunds and cut losses now and do a beach break instead... don't want to go all that way to not be able to ski!!! Any locals have an idea on the liklihood of it turning around - or is it just doomed this season!?
ski holidays
Quote:

do a beach break instead... don't want to go all that way to not be able to ski!!!

welcome to Snowheads, @jpegnall. If you are able to get a refund there are plenty of places in Europe to ski! No need to be so drastic as to sit on a beach. wink
latest report
Have not read this thread till now, think I'll have to email a mate who moved to Pemberton around ten years ago (his son is a liftie in Whistler) and ask him if he wants to come out here to Serre for his ski fix judging by these reports.

This still makes good reading from Simon way back in 99 re a big Chamonix / La Grave trip which I could remind him of Toofy Grin

In fact I've just FaceBooked him Toofy Grin
snow report
Dabber wrote:
@stuarth

Coming out to North Vancouver early March to sort new apt Very Happy is it worth fetching my bike as would like to get some practice in for the BCBR later this year , but wasn't sure whether it is possible to ride the North shore mtns in winter ??

Yes, you can bike all year round on quite a lot of the trails. There's a good android/iPhone app, locals guide to the north shore mountains, or something like that. It has a sort of interactive trail map with description including whether they are rideable in the wet(I think - the corresponding book does)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 15-02-15 4:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jpegnall wrote:
Due to go our to Whistler first two weeks of March from the UK. Starting to panic a bit and unsure whether I shout try to get refunds and cut losses now and do a beach break instead... don't want to go all that way to not be able to ski!!! Any locals have an idea on the liklihood of it turning around - or is it just doomed this season!?

You should put this in perspective - though the north shore mountains snow sucks to the point of virtual closure, Whistler is an hour and a half away and big mountains. Pretty icy today midmountain, but still some good turns to be had high up today. The coverage up high is decent, but not as good as usual lower down.
No idea if it will get better/worse, not a weatherman or fortune teller.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth, check out / google Simon Bedford - Pemberton - quite a well know photographer
ski holidays
@stuarth, hi, lots of them drove the Coquihalla, and this weekend the carpark is full of cars with Washington plates on. Nice day today sunny and 4 in village and -4 at the " top of the world".
It got a bit slushy at village level this pm but we managed. Sunshine for the next few days. Going to get the skis waxed and edged its not often I have to get the edges done to ski here. (13th visit).
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
Dabber wrote:
@stuarth

Yes, you can bike all year round on quite a lot of the trails. There's a good android/iPhone app, locals guide to the north shore mountains, or something like that. It has a sort of interactive trail map with description including whether they are rideable in the wet(I think - the corresponding book does)

Also see www.trailforks.com Havent looked at it in a while but I think this has trail maps with current status
latest report
@stuarth, cheers for info , decided to bring both bike and skis , have got a couple of free uplifts at the new costal gravity park in schelet , and also booked a backcountry course with extremely canadian in whistler , so will be great any which way , can't wait to start exploring the North shore trails, ordered the locals guide to North shore , looks like I'll have plenty to explore Laughing
snow report
stuarth wrote:
@Mr Pieholeo,
Guess you better get on yer bike too! It's the way forward, abandon the ski season, achieve inner peace and all that (I must have been living in Deep Cove too long already!), then when it snows it'll be even better - though of course who knows, you may be waiting until November for that wink

And another bonus... bet you don't feel so bad about missing out on all the earlybird season pass offers now (except Whistler maybe)?!
Days this season with my Whistler pass = quite a lot, partly due to the above! snowHead

We got Seymour passes Sad. Been up there just to noddle around on the magic carpet teaching junior to snowboard, but not exactly great VFM so far. Conversely haven't done Whistler yet (well, we've been up there a bunch of times, but not to ski). Might pop up there today, again probably not to ski. Curses to you, difficult 1-year old child!
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@Mr Pieholeo,

We got Seymour passes Sad. Been up there just to noddle around on the magic carpet teaching junior to snowboard, but not exactly great VFM so far. Conversely haven't done Whistler yet (well, we've been up there a bunch of times, but not to ski). Might pop up there today, again probably not to ski. Curses to you, difficult 1-year old child!

I think Seymour have some sort of hundred day guarantee thing based on the mystery chair being open for 100 days
ski holidays
Interesting thread. I was going to organise a business trip to Vancouver so I could get a Whistler trip in for a week. I'm now having second thoughts.
Is Whistler getting affected by global warming? Last time I was there was '98 and it rained up to the mid station but there was heaps of snow in the higher bowls
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Interesting thread. I was going to organise a business trip to Vancouver so I could get a Whistler trip in for a week. I'm now having second thoughts.
Is Whistler getting affected by global warming? Last time I was there was '98 and it rained up to the mid station but there was heaps of snow in the higher bowls

Whistler is being impacted by El Nino.
snow conditions
Just seen some pics from a mate who was in Whistler over the weekend. Looks pretty bad down low, but the alpine seems to have plenty of snow
snow conditions
It's early april we're headed out so hopefully the alpine stays in good shape, the temps drop a bit and some april showers blow through. This trip has been a long time coming so to see the reports of such bad conditions is very annoying.

On another note... anyone here got any experience skiing with Extremely Canadian?
snow report
@shoogly, there have been a few mentions on here, mostly positive. the cliff notes are that there are 2 main ski coaching alternatives to mainstream ski school - Extremely Canadian and "The Camp" (formerly Dave Murray Camps). The former is dedicated improving your technique and showing you around the steeper options away from the groomers. The Camp is a bit more of a mix between piste/race technique and off piste - will depend on the conditions while you are there exactly what the balance is
I think EC now do backcountry stuff too, which may be worth a look. There is some great stuff outside the boundary of the resort
latest report
Went up yesterday just for snow tubing and sightseeing and shopping. Very brown below mid mountain. I think the mid-range forecast is for low temps by the end of Feb though. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in BC:

http://hemlockresort.ca/hemlock-resort-to-suspend-20142015-season/

Feb 4th, they gave up completely!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy