Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres? Me? Surely not!

Poster: A snowHead
We drove Chamonic to Champoluc this morning.

So...

Why, why, why does anyone think that snow chains are any adequate substitution for snow tyres?

From Verres to Champoluc was variously chaotic.

Not really a lot of snow, but quite slippy.

No-one without snow tyres should have been allowed beyond Verres.

And there should be a winter driving test. Without which, etc.

Rant over .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, was about to post something similar. folks, please remember:
1. Chains - only usefull in deep (deep) snow. Use is very limited, slow speeds, need to know how to put them properly.
2. Summer tyres - in summer only, stupid to go to alpine regions in winter. Stupid and dangerious.
3. Winter tyres - work welll for 3-5 months ayear and you save your summer tyres. Work on snow, slush and ice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, Italians can't drive even on dry roads.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chaos here in Les Houches- just demented to not have snow tyres- Continental wintercontact for me!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, indeed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Even with winter tyres we had to chain up today in order to access side roads and carparks which were not well cleared.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
L_555 wrote:
Chaos here in Les Houches- just demented to not have snow tyres- Continental wintercontact for me!

+1

Should be mandatory
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sarah, can you tell me the model of your tyres pls and whether you drive these tyres in summer conditions?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love winter tyres. Here in Derbyshire the 3-4 inches of snow that fell last night has frozen solid. I've just driven up a 1 in 8 gradient with no sliding at all, bloody brilliant.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@queen bodecia, maybe you just know how to drive in those conditions wink Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pity the studded tyres we used in Norway arent allowed in the rest of Europe. wink

Interestingly the car I have just drive from GVA to Montriond has a sticker in the windscreen that says "This vehicle is fitted with winter tyres - use of snow chains is forbidden." With 4x4 and snow tyres no problem at all in getting along the roads.

Technique - try to drive as smooth as possible with lots of anticipation; imagine there is a loose egg on the passenger seat and that flinging the car around will catapult it off the seat with messy consequences. No hard acceleration, braking or steering - take your time. Drive closer to the centre of the road - many people end up wandering too wide and end up in the ditch - I passed three vehicles like this in the 10km or so from Taninges to Les Gets. Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MontriondSkier wrote:

Technique...............Drive closer to the centre of the road - many people end up wandering too wide and end up in the ditch -

Or maybe the idiots, mainly Belgium who tended to drive in the centre of the road ended up forcing off many people into the ditch. Number of times today that a feckin idiot Belgium was way out in the middle of the road and I had to really drive in far to close to the edge to avoid the cock..........

Maybe this is what happened to this poor guy I came across!

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is the second thread remarking on the inability of Belgian drivers to cope with snow. There must be a third one coming along soon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This video is very interesting. FWD and AWD Ford Kugas with summer and winter tyres. This might finally convince my wife that she needs winters on her Kuga! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/mfuE00qdhLA
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This link has to be saved next time someone asks if winter tyres are good or must have.
snow conditions
But irrespective of the merits of snow tyres, it must be asked if anyone really thinks that people from Belgium are "Belgiums".
snow report
Thanks for this @Gaza,
snow conditions
Don't get it myself either. I have winters on both my UK cars and when I hire a car I go Swiss side and pay extra for 'winter kit' which is winter tyres and chains. Never had to put the chains on....yet.....but better t be safe than sorry.

I think the reason people don't get them is because then don't realise how much of a difference it makes until it's too late
snow report
I got my first set of winter tyres fitted to my car in the UK a few years ago, as luck would have it just a few days before we got that large snowfall that lasted for more than a week and caused chaos (2010 I think?). Anyway I was amazed at the difference with winter tyres, whilst loads of cars had wheels spinning, unable to get traction ( and more importantly unable to steer or brake effectively), I had no problems at all. As I posted at the time, I felt like Mr Smug in Smugland... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I just put my second set of Nokians on, the A3s. I run them all year as I am only doing a low mileage in them, they are a pretty good summer tyre too, and you can get them for £86. Pretty good reviews, I had no problems doing an Austrian season in them, last night they coped with 70 to 80 mph with light snow and slush on the road, but great grip in the deeper stuff on untreated parking areas.
ski holidays
@Gaza, brilliant video. Should be shown to every snowhead.

Note: in video they only put winter tyres on front (drive) wheels - i am advised that much better to have winter tyres on all 4 wheels.
snow conditions
Another test from Auto Express. This time showing differences in braking.

http://youtube.com/v/elP_34ltdWI
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, what else would you call the people from that particular country? Their sovereign's title is King of the Belgiums:

Quote:
Belgians (Dutch: Belgen, French: Belges, German: Belgier) are the citizens and natives of the Kingdom of Belgium, a federal state in Western Europe

I have to admit that we have some fairly colourful epithets for them down my way (Oberbayern). As drivers they are a collective nightmare - so a "Murder of Belgiums" perhaps? wink
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
@Gaza, brilliant video. Should be shown to every snowhead.

Note: in video they only put winter tyres on front (drive) wheels - i am advised that much better to have winter tyres on all 4 wheels.

Absolutely true. Hower, not sure AE would only do the test with winters on the front only.

http://youtube.com/v/K7xXDMkVFlE
snow report
@Gaza, another excellent informative video.
ski holidays
Winters on the front are OK in the UK as long as don't try to drive at normal speeds in the snow. Not acceptable on snow covered roads in countries where you are expected to drive at higher speeds however.
snow report
Plus 1 for Nokian A3`s........ Plus 1 for Belgians being the most dangerous, reckless drivers overall on routes to the Alps. A French friend told me that the reason for their poor road skills was that prior to 1983, their driving test was very simple, or non existent; I can believe it, as the worst ones all seem to be over 50 in age. ( and in luxury merc/audi/bmws ) Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, King of the Belgiums= a place not a race? We have the Queen of England..doesnt make us Englands.. or if you like Queen if Great Britain abd Northern Ireland doesn't make us Great Britains
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it's icemageddon round here this morning. Apparently it was -7º last night. I expect I'll be used as a taxi service today. There's one disadvantage of winter tyres... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Gaza, another excellent informative video.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, not every country follows the English pattern of producing extra nouns you know! They call themselves Belgiums, I find it rather patronising of Brits to look down their noses at it.
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, Not looking down upon it at all..I put a question mark as a point for consideration. I've never heard a Belgian person refer to themselves as Belgium, but perhaps you have known more than me and heard them refer to themselves as such.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, my sister in law is a Belgium! wink
latest report
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

I've never heard a Belgian person refer to themselves as Belgium
Me neither. I had a Belgian cousin and lived there myself for a bit. A francophone Belgian would surely say, 'je suis belge' and not 'je suis Belgique'. Confused
ski holidays
@Pedantica, I suppose it's a diverse country with diverse languages so plenty of scope for different ways of referring to themsleves
snow conditions
Fwiw Julies Caesar in his work "The Conquest of Gaul" refers to the Belgae, after they had been subdued the area became the Roman Provence of Gallia Belgica. No mention of their driving.
snow report
@Pedantica, my francophone Belgian friend would certainly call himself "belge ". I used to get it wrong until he put me right.
snow conditions
Amazing, make a typo due to being a little "tired" and look what happens Toofy Grin

Anyway Beglium or Belgian , no matter, I really did have my fill of them yesterday.

Mate is out in his VW T30 HiLine Transporter that is also 4WD with snow tyres and he can get up the steep hill* to our place (that I can't with snow tyres), he was even stopping on it last night, and then carrying on without any issues, git!

*couldn't even manage it a couple of hours ago, might let some air out of the tyres**

** that should get another debate going as to whether that is the done thing or not Smile
snow report
I have a question. I drive a Jeep Wrangler fully customised for off road use mainly mud. It's a true 4x4 with 33 inch Mickey Thomson mud tyres with 4 high and 4 low gearing. Will I need winter tyres or will just chains be OK.
latest report
@cyberil, chains are only useful in a deep snow, they are not substitute to winter tyres!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy