Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon en route to ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Sat on the tarmac at LGW for at least an hour because of bad weather at GVA! We have to wait until things improve over there before we can take off, apparently. Hrumph.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@luckyV, not the end of the world then? GVA is in mountains. It's winter. This happens.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same happened at CMF I believe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Albertville Actus

Ce dimanche matin à 11h
✘ Voie rapide sens Moutiers - Albertville : Bloqués
✘ Voie rapide sens Albertville - Moutiers : Fortement ralentis
✘ Route de Beaufort fermée à la hauteur de l'auberge de Venthon
✘ Nationale sens Grésy - Albertville : Ralentis...

See More
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sat in chambery waiting for cloud to lift. Jet2 flights delayed by about 5-6hrs. Snow all the way from les arcs to the airport this morning.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, no, clearly not the end of the world but then few things about ski holidays are, are they? Just a bit annoying. Like most of the stuff people complain about on winter sports forums.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@luckyV, should of gone yesterday snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@luckyV, all I meant was that that was entirely normal behaviour and to be expecte at any time of winter (let alone summer).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slight problem yesterday on the Alpe D'Huez road!

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drove from Megeve to London yesterday. 4x4, full winters on, loads of snow on both the roads down the mountains as well as on the motorway. Worst part was punching past Dijon with 5 to 10cm of settled snow on the motorway!

Didn't go near my chains at any point including get out of thedriveway up the mountain in 30cm of snow.

I guess I'll have to experience the virtues of chains some other time!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chains are usually* little help on freshly fallen snow over a cleared base. They are much more useful when you find yourself on fresh over compacted or just compacted. Ultimately the variables are so great that if Johnny Jondarm suggests you put them on, on they go.

(* there are always exceptions! Wet snow, dry snow, temperature, gradient....... )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sasha320, Suddenly those winter tyres worth every penny Eh!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just bumping the thread ready for tomorrow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
? Resort roads into Tignes all black and wet at 1600CET. Not that much snow tonight.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@WindOfChange, why what's happening tomorrow? also noted the Enterprise in GVA have stopped supplying chains, only winter tyres now
snow report
@WindOfChange, hahaha yep looked like it on way of out Geneva this afternoon!
snow conditions
Flights out of GVA were being delayed today by around 50-70 minutes as 'planes were de-iced. But only a couple of cancellations. Snow has been falling steadily since about 3am here in the Quatre Vallées but only above 1000m or so, with just a dusting or sleet in the valley. At 1500m in the resort most vehicles are fine on winter tyres, and main road surface is slushy/snowy rather than anything deep. Forecast here is for the snowfalls to end by tomorrow morning and then nothing more until Tuesday (and that light). I find that the MeteoSwiss and Météo-France apps are very reliable re conditions and forecasts. Temperatures here at 1500m have been down as far as -8°C the last week (precipitating the ice-explosion of a can of Coke left out to chill - very dramatic), but currently have risen to +0.1°C on the balcony.
latest report
Temps cooling as it is now snowing heavily here at 500m. It will be carnage on the A9 I suspect....
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Temps cooling as it is now snowing heavily here at 500m. It will be carnage on the A9 I suspect....

How they mocked when I predicted snowmaggen towards the end of this week 12 days ago

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=141249#3345289
ski holidays
JanetS has to leave for an airport transfer at 6:30am in the morning. As it took me an hour to dig out the parking area this morning, and it is now snowing heavily again I might have an early start ( and this morning I was helped by the 8:30 snowplough run,- he shifted all the snow I had moved in to the middle of the road.)
snow report
Tumping it down in Maurine valley. Easily a 2ft of snow
ski holidays
Snowing hard here in courchevel 1650, roads ok just now but more snow forecast and temps dropping a little. Morning to better weather so hopefully the roads will be ok.
ski holidays
Les 2 Alpes, continuously snowing for over 28 hours, in the village they ceaselessly shuffle the snow from the roads
latest report
I’m meant to be flying into Salzburg in Sunday and snow is predicted there. I assume they are fairly used to snow and cold weather there?
latest report
@Raven, Flew out of Salzburg last Saturday. Five inches of snow on platform at Salzburg station. Heavy snow in the city....

Airport ran like clockwork. They can clear the runways in ten minutes.

ime fog or high wind is a greater problem.
snow report
@Raven, Salzburg airport has remained open throughout all the heavy snow we have had during January. There was one particularly busy and snowy Saturday where some of the charter flights were moved to Linz to enable time in the schedule for snow clearance. No cancellations. Fog is fairly rare but it can get windy.
latest report
@Raven, I spent a day in Salzburg airport due to problems in the UK watching the snow clearance a few years ago. Impressive doesn't come in to it. One plough in the middle with a dual angle blade followed by 5 or 6 ploughs on each side after every take off or landing. The whole thing ran like clockwork, if you experience any delays it is not likely to be due to airport snow clearance.
snow report
davidof wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

How they mocked when I predicted snowmaggen towards the end of this week 12 days ago

Yes, usually the same people who comment that they've been driving to the Alps since the end of the last Ice Age and never once needed winter tyres or snow chains .......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Um, pardon my North American ignorance, but doesn't this happen in France a lot? As in: whenever it snows? From reading this site, it sure seems so. I've driven to VDI and 3V, and its not hard to imagine one or two nut jobs shutting the whole thing down.....those roads seem inadequate for the task. I bet we'd all pay another 5% to have a cop check tires in the valley and keep the knuckleheads from delaying our sacred missions!!!
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, it's France. Your extra 5% would most likely go directly to the mayor and would probably be spent bribing planning officials.
ski holidays
We were meant to be driving to Switz tomorrow....I really did not fancy it as snowing hard all evening here, and a lot expected in Switz tomorrow evening.

So I changed our Tunnel to Sunday which looks to be a good weather day, and the roads will all be cleared. No charge from Eurotunnel.
snow report
Cleared another mountain of wet snow at 10pm last night, and about 10cm of fluffy stuff this morning, so JanetS got away to do her airport run OK. We are at about 1100m, and on very minor roads, fortunately the snowplough came at 5:30 today.
All the valley roads will be fine, and as the snow has now stopped and it should get above freezing today there should be minimal issues getting up to resorts in this area (Paradiski) at least.
latest report
pah... proper snow on the motorway....... near Basingstoke snowHead
ski holidays
Trying to get to Geneva. Our Swiss 5:20pm yesterday from LHR was cancelled and now sat on a new flight which is delayed by at least two hours due to fog at GVA!!
ski holidays
Quote:

delayed by at least two hours due to fog at GVA!!

That's a pain - everything is fine here. (And JanetS is due to be picking up in GVA anytime now!)
snow report
Pretty hairy at 8.30am today going up the Mountain with frozen slush from 800 meters but a bit clearer on the descent.
snow report
Snow in Basingstoke, fog in Geneva..... good luck folks.
ski holidays
@pam w, holy thread resurrection!
Tricky in and out of Italy. Brenner Pass currently closed. Routes up from Venice very difficult.

Safe journey and good luck folks.
snow report
@PeakyB, mate is stuck on Brenner Pass - he was hoping for an easy journey from Insbrick to Cortina.

He was not best pleased with my comment "Silly day to be driving if you don't mind me saying?"

His response back "I do ! 2 hours on the motorway from Innsbruck to the Dolomites should hardly be taxing - it isn't the Col du Lauteret, it isn't a major transfer route, local day/weekends skiers should have been off by the rain/sleet/snow forecast - any other ideas on how you move around the Alps seamlessly gratefully received, not !"

It's what mates are for Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And here in Serre Che been bouchon city, well not here but in Briancon with this comment from KevinSki
"Unbelievable, about 4 cars stopped on the road trying to put chains on. Looking like they're solving Rubic's Cube. "
latest report
@Weathercam, latest rumour from on the ground is that Brenner Pass may be open by 3pm. It was closed due to avi risk I believe.

Snow chains can be tricky, especially if rental company gives you the wrong size.
snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy