Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

YOU ARE IN THESE VIDS SOMEWHERE...

Poster: A snowHead
Heyo Snowheads: Serious How-to Vids and Seasonal Platitudes from Whistler.eh

This is a link to Michel Aubin's yootoob channel. Dr. Ken is Ken Paynter who is a CSIA course conductor and a really nice guy.
He gives bang-on critiques of CSIA Level 2's that want to be 3's and 3's that want to be 4's. This is great stuff:

Some points to consider after watching ONE breakfast-vid this morning...
Hip Rotation: Over and over for many skiers in a row ( and after seeing only two turns...)
To Far Forward = The tail skids around the tips and skiers who do this use braking and friction to control speed instead of TURN SHAPE.
Quotes: ' When do skis and skier face the same way ? = In The Fall-line. Or: "Your legs are long when they should be short and short when they should be long".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNbCSuzLworiaJdjM2PiDEA/videos
So I heard that the CSIA Level 4 exam has some part of their exam on Power-Plow/Pivot-Slips... because skiers who can do them well are probably good skiers. ( Skis should turn around the foot-leg-femur in the hip-sockets. The tips should displace toward the inside of the arc... )

I have no life and ski too much. Here is my yootoob link: https://www.youtube.com/user/G3FORC3/videos
ciao
Paul Rattenbury
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great link @gforce, I know what I'll be watching over Christmas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/ITQx8Z_eUl8 Start this vid at 10 minutes in.
Expert analysis and discussion of what it means to be an expert skier with many points to work on for the rest of 'us'.
Too upright = too far back. No angulation = can't finish turns. Not enough leg flex = NO power to rotate the legs. Legs still flexed at start of new turn = loss of absorbtion.
Starts every turn with UP motion = must buy time to move skis into new turn due to poor of pressure control at end of turn.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At 25:20 into the above vid Ken sez: " You can't get the ski to bite if the body rotates inside the turn. The skis just go flat and edge angle is lost. "
I am putting this stuff up for you Euro-Brits who can't ski fer s**t and keep posting ' Turkeys in The Amazing Alps ' videos on yootoob.
Damn you all for wasting my time as I search in vain for EXPERTS IN EXPERT TERRAINS IN THE ALPS. Here they go again skid-skid-fail; skid-skid-bail.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gforce wrote:
At 25:20 into the above vid Ken sez: " You can't get the ski to bite if the body rotates inside the turn. The skis just go flat and edge angle is lost. "
I am putting this stuff up for you Euro-Brits who can't ski fer s**t and keep posting ' Turkeys in The Amazing Alps ' videos on yootoob.
Damn you all for wasting my time as I search in vain for EXPERTS IN EXPERT TERRAINS IN THE ALPS. Here they go again skid-skid-fail; skid-skid-bail.

Oh great, thanks for the really condescending help! No, I won't be watching 3/4 of an hour of some guy talking about skiing, are you shitting me!?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gforce,

Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jimmer, I would encourage you to watch them. One of the best insights you'll see into high end skiing. I've watched them all and found some others in addition. They're that good. Agreed gforce's comments were unnecessary and bewildering to be honest but don't let that put you off. Of course listening to a guy analysing skiing may not be what you want but if you're into that sort of thing then watch.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gforce, chill dude, what's upsetting you?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What interested me in watching some of these videos is how many of the developing instructors are too far forward (according to Ken at least) and hence the tails are washing out (rotating more than the tips). I wonder whether there (generally) tends to be a progression that the beginner is typically in the back seat, as they get better, they get more forward, however take this too far and end up with too much ankle flexion and then need to get back a bit. Remember reading some stuff from Hugh Monney (founder and director of the BASS franchise structure) who talked about the target balance point being the middle of the arch of the foot. Funnily enough, he was also one of the guys behind the Skia sweetspot balance trainer that focuses in on balancing on that same point.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the CSIA we look at balance being towards the back of the arch just in front of where the heel joins it. From this point steering is achieved more effectively.

I think sometimes in the early stages there are lazy short term instructions to get forward which is misconstrued by leaners as leaning forward over the fronts of their boots (I've even heard this said by instructors working with better skiers - clearly not understanding the mechanics themselves) when actually it's an attempt to stop the pupil leaning back. Since many learners stop taking instruction very early, this notion stays with them and becomes the one thing they remember. Ask skiers about balance and there'll be a huge number 90%+ I would guess who tell you it should be forward with weight hanging on the fronts of their boots and an overly flexed ankle.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting @Ade57. My comments were relating to instructors themselves (as in these videos), however obviously if their understanding is limited then so is the information being passed onto their students.

I dont presume that in CSIA you talk about being constantly / static:
Quote:

towards the back of the arch just in front of where the heel joins it

as I'm struggling to see how you flex the shovel of the ski from that position.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not of course a static position and fore and aft balance can be adjusted according to the needs of the situation but as you described Hugh Monney's mid arch so this is how we look at it. It's the athletic centred balanced default. If you actually analyse athletic performance then it's pretty much correct and in skiing terms if you look at pivoting, it's the pivot point through which the COM balances over the BOS and facilitates steering.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hanging on the boots and being out of balance fore is common in instructors and good rec skiers "trying to get forward" and causes tail washing and lack of ski engagement , the other thing he doesn't mention is that early stage instructors pop up at transition and don't effectively pressure the ski in the first third of the turn. But hands up didn't watch 30 minutes of some guy giving MA tips...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret, I guess some of us are just sad anoraks. He does talk about this in more than one of the videos. Timing is as you suggest often back to front with the 'pop' you describe giving up so much of the stored energy from the turn instead of allowing the skis to come underneath you then extending into the fall line.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ade57, Oh I am high on the ski nerdiness scale, just don't have time at the moment, may do at some point and see from the 3rd post that he does talk about this , I am a big fan of the CSCF and how they coach and how that filters down to the CSIA..
ski holidays
Ken is a CSIA Level 4 assessor.
latest report
Old Canadian proverb say "Don't let the Alliance screw up your skiing" Laughing
ski holidays
gforce wrote:

I have watched a couple of them so far but now I will have in the back of my mind while watching the rest "what an ignorant jerk the original poster is".
So give me a chance to remove that harrowing image from my head and put up some vids of YOUR ! skiing.

As the saying goes over here "Put up, or shut up ! " Laughing
snow report
You can watch some of his vids on the link he posted. Difficult to see really as it's all on a Gopro type thing. I don't think it's the point though. He may be a good skier but why post the link which is great and really helpful then launch into the vitriol? Puzzling. Maybe having a bad day. It would be good to hear. Undoubtedly there are lots of people who ski with an overinflated self image and the majority of skiers have pretty poor technique but it's not personal and it shouldn't affect anyone else. It certainly isn't a uniquely British phenomenon. I came across all the same stuff working in BC. None of us is beyond improvement. None of us.

I've got lots out of the videos and feel its enhanced my understanding to listen to a real expert analysing pretty good skiers. I wish there was more of that sort of thing around.
snow conditions
I like the vids and the analysis, does anyone know of similar performance style courses in Europe?

Comments from op make him come across as a complete jerk, but maybe it's just a poorly expressed "I'm the best skier on the mountain" post. Not sure I'd ski with him as it doesn't look like he could keep up and watching his vids he reminds me of the gaper spirit animal with the go pro chest mount sans go pro.
latest report
This is part of the ongoing instructor training and not a course as such MT. It's available as a weekly programme to their instructors for free.

I think the OP looks like a decent skier. I don't like the Gopro vids and do wonder whether people understand how vulnerable their ribs are if they take a big crash. He obviously skis some difficult terrain and skis it well. Hard to see but in one of the vids, the shadow may be suggesting something going on in his left turn but too vague to be sure.
ski holidays
Mt wrote:
I like the vids and the analysis, does anyone know of similar performance style courses in Europe?
We (Inside Out Skiing) use video analysis extensively on all our courses, in the UK and the Alps. I know Snoworks and Warren Smith Academy have video sessions at the end of the skiing day, and I think, at least I'd hope) that most ski schools will be able to offer video analysis if you ask (and maybe pay) for it, even if it's a quick review on the hill or at coffee break.
ski holidays
I tried watching some, good MA, but still I applaud those who made it all the way through.

I wonder if we'll see gforce around again, watched some of his videos, unedited chest mount gopro of mediocre skiing, and he complains about other peoples videos!?
ski holidays
All brit ski schools I've been with offer it as part of course not just the well known names as a Std technique but is just one approach as there is only so much you can take. Ideally done on the hill on break or in gondola as more timely and evening sessions get tedious when there are other things to be done.
latest report
@TTT, It's not for the same purpose in these videos. These are for instructors to improve their skills in analysing skiers and developing appropriate tactics for improvement, hence the lengthy analysis which I agree would be less than ideal for a rec. skier on a course. All the attendees already work in the WBSS.
snow report
jimmer wrote:
I tried watching some, good MA, but still I applaud those who made it all the way through.

I wonder if we'll see gforce around again, watched some of his videos, unedited chest mount gopro of mediocre skiing, and he complains about other peoples videos!?

why do you think his skiing is mediocre?
snow conditions
Thanks. I know. If you want to learn how to analyse video then a higher level instructor training course. My point was that using video to analyse skiers is not the preserve of a few well known names given that video analysis is part of instructor training as you point out and that it is just one tool in ski instruction not some secret panacea known only to a few instructors.
latest report
TTT wrote:
My point was that using video to analyse skiers is not the preserve of a few well known names given that video analysis is part of instructor training as you point out and that it is just one tool in ski instruction not some secret panacea known only to a few instructors.
I agree that it's not the preserve of a few well known instructors, and every instructor worth their salt should understand the value of video analysis and know how to use it. Out of interest, what proportion of ski lessons for recreational skiers do you think use video analysis?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This session is not as you assume, aimed particularly at teaching instructors how to analyse video, it's to improve the eye on the hill predominantly. Of course VA is a spin off but not the primary purpose. As I'm sure you're aware spotting things in good skiers takes a lot of work. Not sure where the notion of it being the preserve of a few comes from, neither am I convinced that many rec skiers make much use of VA as the immediacy is lost. It takes a certain level of learning to really be beneficial in my opinion.
snow report
@rob@rar, I'd say 100% of the various accomodation + ski course ski schools have included video analysis weather permitting but zero when just booked ad hoc instruction hours in resort so guess closely correlated to whatever that ration may be.

@Ade57, I would not assume it is just video analysis but improving visual analysis. Totally agree spotting things in good skiers takes a lot of training. For me htere is a difference between instructors and coach/trainers. An instructors takes you through a relatively set routine and can spot the standard errors/corrections. A coach/trainer can spot the finer details and give you the one thing that will most help you at that time - that takes a lot of training and skill and where I percieve race training helps. Agree that immediacy helps - best video feedback was straight after on the gondola and then in breaks. Personally not found long evening sessions helpful- fits into what customer wants rather than what needs category. I'd agree that as you understand more it becomes more useful.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
@rob@rar, I'd say 100% of the various accomodation + ski course ski schools have included video analysis weather permitting but zero when just booked ad hoc instruction hours in resort so guess closely correlated to whatever that ration may be.
I'd agree with that, so relatively rare for video analysis to be used as (I think) the majority of ski lessons are as as you describe (ad hoc booked in resort).

TTT wrote:
Agree that immediacy helps - best video feedback was straight after on the gondola and then in breaks. Personally not found long evening sessions helpful- fits into what customer wants rather than what needs category. I'd agree that as you understand more it becomes more useful.
In my experience immediacy can have some value, often on a fairly simple, straightforward point. Feedback at the end of the day, IME, has a different purpose, looking in more detail at movements, drawing common themes across different videoed runs perhaps in different settings. It's also an opportunity, if you want, to look and discuss video of other people in your group, which some skiers can benefit from. I do a lot of video feedback in the evenings when I'm teaching and if I thought that doing it during the day was a more useful tool I would happily change; for me it has very little to do with what the customer (or instructor) wants and much more to what works best. Other people's mileage may vary, of course.
latest report
Alright - I'm back...been skiing with the boys: no skiing falling or waiting. I 'pologize' for using the word turkeys; but if I weave a towel and you think it is cut to fit...
I still have not found any good homemade vids of solid skiers. I want GS knuckle dragging and high energy C-shapes in the pow where the skis leave the snow between turns.
Jim and speed - where are your vids ? " Put 'em up".
That being the case; good vids are rare because no one wants to wait while I get over the anaerobic shakes and set up from below. Gopro is too wide a frame to follow someone at GS speeds because if you are going that fast the tipping/inclination is hard to watch on screen. If i give someone the camera they hit 'play' or just keep skiing.
snow report
@rob@rar, think that is all fair enough. I think my comment was more a personal statement of what I prefer to do at the end of a days skiing than what works best if truth be told wink
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
@rob@rar, think that is all fair enough. I think my comment was more a personal statement of what I prefer to do at the end of a days skiing than what works best if truth be told wink
OK. For me, having a quick look at a small screen on a camcorder over a cup of coffee or by the side of the piste is not a terribly satisfactory experience. Looking at myself, or showing clients, video footage on a larger screen, in slo-mo or even frame-by-frame analysis, comparing and contrasting different clips, maybe using Sprongo or Coach's Eye, helps create a much deeper understanding. Not that a quick and immediate review is pointless, but I've never found it as useful, either as a teacher or a learner.
ski holidays
Understand. Sometimes though amall screen is enough to make a specific point although generally not. Some cameras either have a projector or some mtn restaurants there are TV screens you can connect video to. Find that great personally as can still see everything, more immediate and then done for the day. I know some prefer all the review and analysis but I am prefer to get it out the way and work on it straight away and spend the evening relaxing. For me when it gets overly formal and intense it feels too much like the thing I'm there to get away from but everyone is different.
snow conditions
So far as tech goes. Ken Sez: "if you can't get it in your head you can't get it in your sking".
After watching lots of these vids I changed my skiing. I used to rail everything, everywhere and ski with too much inclination. Now i use way more angulation and more pivoting force.
Getting forward on the ski does not mean trying to move along the ski to get over the tips. It means cutting off the turn. It means pivoting the skis across your center of mass path so you are always landing in the middle of the ski.
Pivoting around the feet/ turning the legs in the hip sockets needs more angles in the ankle/shin/thigh/back.
Ski Edge Angles come not from the knees but from increasing angulation of the hips as skis move across the fall-line.
That pop someone mentioned comes from the COM passing over the arc of the ski. RELAX and Absorb/retract/down-unweight at this point and you have those C-shaped pow-turns where the skis have left the snow.
Stacking-Pressure comes up right in front of the heel/rear of arch because this closer to the tibia than the lever of yer toes... and pressure on the front of the boot increases a bit to help with keeping you in balance.
Up-unweighting can be used to buy you time to get the skis pointed in the right direction because this is a slow process and delays pressuring the ski early in the turn. It is also a tiring way to ski. Combined with heel-pushing and using the knees for edging gives you skiing from decades ago.

Anyone ever try to ski with their bindings mounted one cm too far back? You can never quite ' get over the front of the ski' and so can never finish a turn where the ski zips out from under you into the next turn. How about skis that are too flat ( not enough base bevel ) ? You can never get your hips low and inside the turn because the hook-up happens to early in the turn. Too much base bevel and the ski hooks up too late and you have to use too much pivot to keep the skis underneath your COM.
ski holidays
@TTT, understand. Think we're saying pretty much the same thing: video analysis is a useful tool and like a lot of useful tools can be used if slightly different ways.
snow report
Quote:

You can never get your hips low and inside the turn because the hook-up happens to early in the turn.

don't quite understand how "hooking up" (i guess you mean engaging the edges) early doesn't allow you to get your hip to the inside can you expand on that? genuine question... I have SL skis on .25 deg base, GS on .5 and .75 and al rounders at 1 deg most top SL skiers are on 0 base and they get their hips low and develop massive edge angles.
latest report
@rob@rar, yes only that I personally prefer to do video analysis on mtn in break if technology available.
latest report
davidof wrote:
jimmer wrote:

why do you think his skiing is mediocre?

Didn't watch many of his vids, as really, that mount is horrible and he just seemed to be cruising easy terrain, no pow, no cliffs, no chutes, no spins, no flips - mediocre. I would be kinder, but he came in here with an attitude, so he can deal with it.

gforce, it's really easy to see my vids by clicking on my blog, but here's one from a few seasons ago.

Britain's Got Skiers 2013, James Winfield from James Winfield
https://vimeo.com/73178560
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy