Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A - Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone in resort confirm whether they are trying to run the cannons on Valentin? From the webcams, Lutin and Diable look like they need a big dump to open now but I can still see white on Valentin (with maybe one bare bit). It looks salvageable with a bit of natural snow and cannons. But I'm looking from a very distant webcam.

Also is the closed Bellecombes run coming down under the chair skiable or does it have rocks poking through?

Arriving Saturday, not a fan of downloading Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@belette, would have thought that you need quite a bit of snow on Valentin to make it skiable because of its steepness.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're probably right... the only time I've skied it before was right at the end of the season when it was a manky brown slush puppy, so holding out hope that it's one of those runs they really work hard to keep open. But there are limits on what I'm prepared to do to my bases in the pursuit of skiing to resort!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@belette, think you are right that they like to get Valentin open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can see a bit of a mackerel sky on the webcams (though it looks hot there at the moment!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altocumulus_mackerel_sky
"Another common place that it is found is in the warm sector of a depression preceding the cold front and associated showery weather, however usually here it is obscured by lower stratus clouds."

Come on cold weather!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is some artificial snow on the Valentin, but not enough to open the run. It is also a solid sheet of ice - some idiot was busy trying it from half way down this afternoon and you could hear the scraping from the Berangere's car park. The black run under the Bellecombe chair is closed for the good reason that there isn't enough snow to cover the rocks and anyone trying it at the moment is asking to die.

The rest of Bellecombe is open but is something of an ice rink and wasn't a great deal of fun even on a pair of serious piste skis. Toura and further up isn't bad, though a couple of the runs hitherto open are now closed again for lack of snow and surfeit of rocks. The track frpm Bellecombe back to Cretes is a mixture of very thin snow and sheets of ice - I'm not sure I rate its chances of surviving the tropical spell predicted for the end of this week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn, that's not good news on any front... at this rate should've gone to Scotland for Christmas! I was hoping there'd be some reasonably challenging terrain (not challenging by dint of millions of skiers forced onto few pistes) further up but sounds like it is too thin there too. Come on snow...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lizzard, thanks for the report. Great antidote to "The snow was perfect" crap that we sometimes get. Valentin is a great piste to watch. Always plenty of muppets who overrate their ability. Always (alarmingly) adults taking their snowploughing 4 year old down it, too. Hope that conditions improve for Christmas/New Year, otherwise there are gonna be some crowded pistes in the higher sectors.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, we had 3 very good days of skiing. Everything 2200m and up (except for fee sector) is open and conditions are very good given the circumstances!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad you're having a good time dries_v Very Happy

I've given up hope of there being sufficient snow now to open anything new, but hopefully tomorrow's forecast snow will freshen things up a bit up top.

We're planning on a couple of days at ADH and Serre Chevalier next week to mix it up a bit, for a change of scenery if nothing else. To be honest I'd still rather be skiing, even if i'm sharing an ice rink with a hundred ski schools, and it's only the first trip out for us, hopefully the rest of the season will redeem it. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@belette, as far as I know the Grande Galaxie is not currently in operation - check with the lift office before you go trekking off elsewhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both ADH and Serre are open for sure; Serre is doing quite well considering you normally think of it as a sunny resort that gets hammered in bad snow years.

Serre:
Open trails
38/100
Open lifts
28/61

ADH:
Open trails
21/135
Open lifts
21/70

I hadn't realised when I started looking at venturing beyond Alpe d'Huez but the TO we are going with organises a coach to Serre on Wednesdays so no trek or admin required Toofy Grin the only snaggle will be if resorts start getting all protectionist and limiting access to those from others in the same pass area to limit congestion/preserve snow. We'll see!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How does it work when you go to one of the "other" resorts? Do you have to go to the ticket desk or does your L2A card simply work for AdH / SC? Is there a precedent for visitors being turned away in that way belette?

I'll admit that until today I have been caught up in the "no-snow" hysteria but in the end that's why we booked L2A, because even in a bad year it would still be ok. The inclusion of the other resorts means that, with a bit of driving, we will be able to get a "resort's worth" of pistes visited over the new year week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there is precedent, I'm struggling to remember when but I remember going one year in the dim and distant past where a resort got a lot of criticism for closing doors to everyone except "local" pass holders. I can't remember which one it was or where though, sorry. And it may have been because there was insufficient snow at the "visitor" resort to allow its holders to ski at all, so everyone was heading to the resort where there was still snow. I'm not especially concerned about it happening between LDA/ADH/SC as all are in similar positions at the moment.

Your 6 day pass includes:
•For ski passes of 6 days and over : one free entry to swimming pool or ice rink per day and 2 days in Alpe d'Huez / Oz / Vaujany (VFD shuttle service twice a week). 1 day in Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, Montgenèvre Voie Lactée and Sestrière.

You only have to go to the ticket desk at Montgenevre and Sestriere in the Milky Way, the others your pass should work automatically. Puy St Vincent isn't open at the moment, don't know if it will. It's quite a drive in any case.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@belette, I am aware that those resorts are open (as is Montgenevre). However, the Galaxie system is a reciprocal one, and under conditions like these it is usual that resorts won't accept pass holders from elsewhere in order to avoid becoming overcrowded and trashing the pistes for their own punters. This is particularly treu when some places (usually 2Alpes) have significantly more snow/better conditions than others. At the moment the system isn't operating.

@Kingofthec, if you go to Montgenevre or Sestriere, make sure you take with you the paper ticket which you are given with your pass. It has a voucher for a day pass, and you won't get one unless you can show the voucher - just having the pass isn't enough.

And before anyone starts, no the link to La Grave is not open. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, you are quite intent on being a downer aren't you? At the moment, if you were to go on %age open, all of the resorts I mentioned are in pretty much the same situation, so there is little benefit to closing shop. Yes it's busy over Christmas and yes the snow is poor, hence post of 17:49.

Even on the very worst case scenario if you were determined enough (or just had a car) you could pitch up at any of these places and buy a daypass, and get some skiing in, rather than sitting around moaning Cool
snow conditions
belette wrote:
Lizzard, you are quite intent on being a downer aren't you?

Tedious innit? rolling eyes Fustration mebee? wink
snow conditions
Quote:

if you were to go on %age open

If. But there's more to it than that, as we all know.

Obviously you could push off and pay for day passes. However, that would presumably affect your plans regarding purchase of a week's pass in 2Alpes, so it's to your advantage to be warned in advance that the system may not be running. I might ring them up and ask tomorrow if I remember.
latest report
@Mollerski, OK, just for you: conditions are fabulous, with fresh powder everywhere from glacier level all the way down to the Bas des Pistes. There will be free helicopter trips to all the other Galaxie resorts during Christmas week, while in 2Alpes there will easily be enough snow to open Fee, Thuit and the Vallee Blanche. In fact you'll probably be able to ski to Venosc Village, where Santa will meet you with his sleigh and fly you back to your apartment.

Unfortunately I didn't spot that this thread was posted in the Fairy Tales section rather than under Weather and Snow Conditions - my bad. Laughing
latest report
@Lizzard,

That'll do, I'm on my way!! wink
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
belette wrote:
Lizzard, you are quite intent on being a downer aren't you?

Tedious innit? rolling eyes Fustration mebee? wink

Obviously the lack of snow is less than ideal, but it's more frustrating when you're attempting to make the best of a bad situation and people just offer up problems Toofy Grin if you're only out for a week at a time you have to get the most out of what there is rather than waiting for it to get better... If that involves a bit more effort that's fine by me.
snow conditions
@belette,

Lizz 'ard is a glass bone dry kinda gal. Very Happy
snow conditions
Well I did hear there is actually skiing at L2A, which is more than can be said for some lower less fortunate resorts. My son is there now and he went expecting the worst and is reporting good but limited sking, although a bit weird downloading on a chairlift!! Now, is there a wee bit of counter-propaganda going on to disuade people from flooding into L2A? For those of us that just can't last 12 months without a ski, any ski is better than no ski. I can certainly reminiss about some rather desperate trips to Glenshee and the Lecht!! I am smug because I would have been booking to ski on the 27th Dec. However I do have the dilema of booking shortly for Feb 1/2 term..........will the conditions improve or will it truly be ski-season armagedon??
ski holidays
Lol...I gathered!

In all seriousness, it's good to know exactly how things are in resort, what's feasible/what's not... But invention is the daughter of necessity so (being committed to Christmas week now) I'm trying quite hard to avoid getting stuck scraping down the side of the same 20 runs avoiding a thousand bodies. I think it will be OK and I think (especially if you have a car) it can be an interesting week. Had a great week last year at very beginning of December hopping between resorts in pre-opening. Admittedly with almost zero crowds!
ski holidays
Hey, and Serre Che isnt a bad choice either. Again struggling lower down but high up looks sweet. Some of the best early season snow fell here in Nov.
snow report
Hey, and Serre Che isnt a bad choice either. Again struggling lower down but high up looks sweet. Some of the best early season snow fell here in Nov.
ski holidays
Quote:

Obviously the lack of snow is less than ideal, but it's more frustrating when you're attempting to make the best of a bad situation and people just offer up problems

When you're attempting to make the best of a bad situation what you want is the most accurate information - factual information - you can get. If you don't like it, I guess that's tough. Don't shoot the messenger. Accurate information from an experienced person on the ground is far more useful than a load of "well it's better than being in the office" stuff.
snow report
Factual information does not need to come with a side of snide remarks (the element I am objecting to - as I said above, it is useful to know how things stand). Contrast this thread with the Arlberg thread for an example of that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a completely irrelevant note, did you know that belette is French for weasel? And what 'snide remarks'? All you've had there is a load of factual information - hardly my fault if you don't like it.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger...

Whether the messenger survives or not, often depends on how the message is delivered.

Lizz certainly doesn't go in for sugar coating and could possibly be guilty off adding a dash of condescension at times. Only a dash. wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-12-14 9:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Contrast this thread with the Arlberg thread for an example of that.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Stanton is somewhat famous round here for being really very unpleasant in many of his posts; stick around and you'll see. I didn't think Lizzard had made any snide remarks and if somebody on the spot is taking the trouble to tell you exactly what's going on it would be polite to be a bit less critical

Some of the snow reports you see on snowheads are a lot less objective because there are sometimes people with an interest in "talking up" the conditions.
ski holidays
Yes, that's why i chose it. wink

Re: snide, upthread you're implying it's silly to ask about some of this stuff (of course x, y and z are completely unskiable) when people who aren't in resort have no way of knowing because there's only so much you can tell by looking at a grainy image or clicking around the internet. On passes I guess we are all in the same position in that you can only confirm by speaking to a human at the lift pass offices (and maybe they won't confirm yet).

At the end of the day, we all just want to ski, the sooner some proper snow comes to ease things a bit the better. Just a shame it seems to have no plans to do so in the next week...
ski holidays
Oh, mollerski expressed it more succinctly than I wink
snow report
When a weasel and a lizard go to war
A point is all you can score.......... wink

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/frankiegoestohollywood/twotribes.html
ski holidays
Quote:

a human at the lift pass offices

that might be Lizzard but I don't know if she's working for the lift pass office again this year... wink
ski holidays
Ok then, if that's the case it'd be helpful to know if it's usual that the grande galaxie system only functions when all resorts included are open, or if the decision is taken on a rolling, conditions dependent basis. Obv it's not Lizzard's job to answer questions on an internet forum, but it's nice to have some context.

ETA: typo

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-12-14 10:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have no plans to do any work whatsoever this winter. Or not a lot, anyway. Very Happy

Word from the lift office is that the Galaxie system is not currently in operation, and will not start until snow conditions across all the relevant resorts show significant improvement. Given that the forecast is currently for no snow and yet another rise in temperature after the weekend, I would bank on it not being open for next week, so anyone planning on skiing the other resorts should put some thought into what type of lift pass to buy.

Access to elsewhere is by bus/helicopter (Alpe d'Huez), or car (all other resorts). Technically you could get to Serre Chevalier by bus, but you'd end up with about two hours skiing, so it wouldn't really be worth the bother. TOs won't run a coach trip if there's no free skiing elsewhere.

The heli trips run daily, but only if they can fill both outward and return trips. Given that day trippers will have to pay for passes, I imagine there will be less demand than usual, so bus may be the most reliable option - they run on Weds and Thurs, depart about 08:30. This is a bit irritating from a pass-buying point of view.
ski holidays
Ok, that's really helpful. Will have to do some maths to see what makes most sense vs available skiing/hassle of travel/cost of the various passes. If I had a car out there I think I'd just hop round resorts but sadly limited...
ski holidays
Car hire in Bourg d'Oisans if you want it:

CarGo Le Bourg d'Oisans
ZA Route de Grenoble
38520 - Le Bourg-d'Oisans
Phone : 04.76.80.26.97
Fax : 04.76.79.10.75
snow conditions
Thanks - going to figure out a plan b (and c, and d). Be interesting (!) to see how long the queues are next week, I haven't skied a peak week in ages so expecting a shock to the system. Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy