Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is this the worst year EVER for snow ?

Poster: A snowHead
I cant remember exactly when it was, but I remember a Uni trip to La Plagne around 1990/94 roughly the week before Christmas and there was literally no snow at all apart from the glacier. That was the most depressing week ever spent in a ski resort. Some of us wished we had taken mountain bikes Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FunkyDunc, those were the days... the early 90's had some very grim years Skullie
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a week in Zermatt last year. Lady who ran hotel told us how in Roman times the Theodulpass had no snow on it, with snow returning in the 17th century. Thought it sounded like dangly bits but I did the research and discovered it was true. Romans used to walk over the top all the time and lots of roman coins etc found up there.

Not sure if we are heading back to those days but glaciers definitely on the retreat. If nothing else it explains lack of Roman ski legion
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Juddernaut wrote:
Did a week in Zermatt last year. Lady who ran hotel told us how in Roman times the Theodulpass had no snow on it, with snow returning in the 17th century. Thought it sounded like dangley bits but I did the research and discovered it was true. Romans used to walk over the top all the time and lots of roman coins etc found up there.

Not sure if we are heading back to those days but glaciers definitely on the retreat. If nothing else it explains lack of Roman ski legion

Also explains how Hannibal was able to get his troops with elephants over the Alps into Italy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@red 27, yes, I remember them as well. Also I remember turning up in Tignes one January (can't remember the year), no snow below Le Lac, dumped it overnight and had wonderful week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I guess it is pre skiing tension rolling eyes wink wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Due in Cham on the 15th Dec - I'll be properly cross if no white stuff to play in...GRRR
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went to Tignes December 2011and over 14 ft fell - half the resort closed due to avalanche conditions. It only starred snowing early december if I recall. My neighbout was going to Iscghl same week and nearly couldnt get to resort due to amount of snow on the roads.
Dont panic until you get there and its green !!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@c44rver, lucky fir you they pulled opening date forward then, eh?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LOL, just watched this, quite apt for this thread Wink

http://youtube.com/v/U_BFBAMd2Ro
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were in the PDS before Xmas in 2007. Only Avoriaz was really open. We had to drive to Les Crosets and get the chairlift up, and down.

They were trucking snow from the bottom of Val D'Illiez to the top (don't ask me how there was snow lower than higher, but there was). On the last day we were in Champoussin (23rd Dec) they opened the local slope and it was basically frozen 20cm lumps of ice, bashed (more or less) flat. We binned it at midday and went to the Montreux Christmas market instead.

It can all change in a day and it almost certainly will.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do we really mean ever? 3.6 million years ago temperatures were on average 8 degree centigrade higher. There was no ice at the North Pole in the summer. I wasn't around at the time. I can't find any photos on the internet (although they may have been removed by Google's privacy policy). But I'd think there was quite a bit less snow in Europe then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go for a long weekend skiing every December usually around the 11/12/13th and have yet to be disappointed.
2007 was a bit on the shitty side but every other year it's great. 2012 in the three valleys was awesome, there was no snow till about the 7/8th and then it just started and didn't stop for two weeks.
I'm going this year on the 11th with a flight to Geneva and am not a bit worried.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@onnem, do you like the Soul 7, just bought a pair.
Cheers
Se
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SE wrote:
@onnem, do you like the Soul 7, just bought a pair.
Cheers
Se
i got soul7s last christmas after renting them for a week. Absolutely cannot find a weakness in them. Moguls, racecourse, deep off piste, and so light to carry uphill. Hopefully get to try my skins on them this season. Only small complaint is they are a bit noisy on ice when the front rockered up section start clattering around. Great choice, enjoy !
snow conditions
I do feel for anyone who is heading for the slopes soon and is worried about the snow. However .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ... I can't help wondering why so many people book holidays in low resorts so early in the season. There is a query on another thread about Morillon for the w/c 20th December. Now I know you can uplift to Flaine but why pick a resort which, according to the historical snow records I've looked at has pretty much never had any snow at all before the last week of December and barely more than a dusting even then. I appreciate that it's going to be cheaper if you go low and early / pre-season, but it's a huge gamble to take, isn't it?
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I do feel for anyone who is heading for the slopes soon and is worried about the snow. However .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ... I can't help wondering why so many people book holidays in low resorts so early in the season. There is a query on another thread about Morillon for the w/c 20th December. Now I know you can uplift to Flaine but why pick a resort which, according to the historical snow records I've looked at has pretty much never had any snow at all before the last week of December and barely more than a dusting even then. I appreciate that it's going to be cheaper if you go low and early / pre-season, but it's a huge gamble to take, isn't it?

This.

We are going to Val Thorens on Monday and pretty much regardless of whether or not it snows again, there is enough snow - existing and topped up with cannons - to have much of the main runs open.
ski holidays
@emwmarine, Sensible man!
2,300 metres....yes.
1,100metres....no.
snow conditions
Flying to La Rosiere in 3 weeks. I know there is still lots of time but getting a tad twitchy. Chose a high resort (1850) but so far its not looking great. Travelling with 4 families for NY holiday and its cost a small fortune. (bites finger nails and tells friends it will be OK).
ski holidays
I was pondering on my lunchtime stroll. I have children and restricted by school holidays so we go when the schools break up. This can be as early as the 16th December iirc. The second week of the holidays is more expensive hence the first week. If not restricted by school holidays why book prior to this? Going in January is far cheaper and a lot more snowsure. Springing a last minute trip if conditions are very good I can understand. Maybe there is a good reason I can't think of.
snow report
One of the main reasons we chose La Plagne was it's altitude and the fact that it was therefore "Snowsure". I suppose that's not a promise though, just an indication. We're not just restricted to certain dates by the kids, but by my wife being a teacher. No option of sneaking her out of school for a few extra days! We don't even get a full week in Feb so it's down to Xmas Week, New Year Week (<chosen) or Easter. Maybe trying to grab a week at Easter, last minute, if conditions somewhere are still decent is the "safe" way to do it in future.

I'm probably worrying about nothing but I can't help thinking what else I could have spent the not inconsiderate amount of money on if I end up sat in a hotel bar 2000m up a mountain for a week.
latest report
The ? is why do folk book any ski vacations months ahead regardless when
your going in the season?

Snow
No Snow
Severe weather
Travel distruptions

Seems a huge risk unless your covered 100% water tight insurance.

One thing for sure if Xmas & New Year are bad, prices in the resorts will
Increase significantly during the rest of the sesdon to make up Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! Two feet of fresh, fluffy Californian snow fell on Mammoth in the past 24 hours and its still snowing! YAAAY!
ski holidays
So how many resorts in the Alps/Dolomites are open at the moment and able to offer reasonable skiing on the pistes?

I've only been keeping up with Val Thorens.
snow report
It hasn't started yet for most resorts but it was pretty awful in January 2007. One of the few years that we had booked a package and the operator moved us from Portes du Soleil (green and no snow apart from top of Avoriaz) to Les Deux Alpes where only upper slopes were open. It had snowed in December and I believe was ok for Christmas but then a combination of hot southerly winds combined with torrential rain washed all the snow from the slopes.

The weather will be what it will and worrying about it won't change anything.

The forecast I'm looking at says snow Saturday and Monday, freezing level down to sea level on Tuesday with a maximum of -9 degrees so I expect the snow cannons to be blasting away to at least get a base down. Oh that is at 2000 metres
snow report
Quote:
The ? is why do folk book any ski vacations months ahead regardless when your going in the season?

The main restriction is school holidays. Some people also have restrictions on when they can take time off work. Some people have specific travel/accomodation requirements. So for many/some it makes sense. And I've skied christmas and early April as dictated by school holidays many times without any issue. But if I was not restricted by school holidays I would not have booked w/c 6th and 13th Dec in advance. Maybe it's the travel arrangements/flights/work that has forced the issue... in which case I would book somewhere guaranteed like Val T.
ski holidays
I have young children and my wife is a teacher. I am restricted to school hols. Why book early? To get choice of higher resort, to get choice of chalet with suitable rooms for kids and near to slopes, to get child care and ski lessons for kids, and because NY is one of busiest weeks there is no real option to get a late deal.

Any how. I can't change the weather but I can't stop myself looking at weather reports Shocked
snow report
Quote:

The main restriction is school holidays

indeed, and if you have to travel at Christmas/New Year you don't have much option unless you are very flexible. But there is no good reason to book in advance for 6 or 13 December - unless the state of the snow is of no concern at all. There is plenty of snow available at present for people who are flexible and resisted the temptation to book early.

People asking about early season skiing on snowheads are constantly exhorted NOT to book accommodation early. Doesn't stop them, of course. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike-H wrote:
I have young children and my wife is a teacher. I am restricted to school hols. Why book early? To get choice of higher resort, to get choice of chalet with suitable rooms for kids and near to slopes, to get child care and ski lessons for kids, and because NY is one of busiest weeks there is no real option to get a late deal.

Any how. I can't change the weather but I can't stop myself looking at weather reports Shocked

Same here - I always book early as accommodation that is suitable with kids (well the decent stuff that is walking distance to the lifts) gets booked early.

Also flights shoot up in price the nearer you get to the date. I looked at flights for Feb half term last month and BA wanted £500 a head!! Crazy money, so decided to drive.

Personally I'd never book too early in the season but I don't class Xmas & New Year as too early.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! Two feet of fresh, fluffy Californian snow fell on Mammoth in the past 24 hours and its still snowing! YAAAY!

GRRR. I was in California last Christmas and they had the driest year on record (ended up skiing in Snowbird and JAckson Hole).

Now getting worried for Christmas snow in the Dolomites...
ski holidays
Re. School Holidays & Early Season Snow Lotto

If this is the reason then I would suggest to book an Easter Skiing Holiday.
snow report
Quote:

Also flights shoot up in price the nearer you get to the date.

it makes sense to book flights to a hub airport then wait - there is always masses of accommodation available in places which are open in early/mid December.

Christmas IS early, actually - historically about the lowest snow levels in the season proper. Many resorts are never open till the Saturday before Christmas - it's the first week in the area I ski in, and many others. Snow depths are practically always far better at Easter.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Also flights shoot up in price the nearer you get to the date.

it makes sense to book flights to a hub airport then wait - there is always masses of accommodation available in places which are open in early/mid December.

Christmas IS early, actually - historically about the lowest snow levels in the season proper. Many resorts are never open till the Saturday before Christmas - it's the first week in the area I ski in, and many others. Snow depths are practically always far better at Easter.

I hear you on the hub thing but with young kids, it's a high risk strategy not booking accommodation in school holidays, especially if you want something decent. For example, we know of 3 apartments in Val that are a 1 min walk from where we drop the kids for ski school / childcare and a 3 min walk from the lifts. If we don't book those early, we won't get them and then you're saddled with being the other end of town away from what's important to us. Also, the childcare gets booked up quickly, so you risk not getting that if you don't book, especially over New Year week.

I know that may sound fussy but when you're paying a load of cash to go away, you (or at least we) want the best you can get.
What you're suggesting can be done, but it's trade off (as is going to a resort with no snow Smile). I'd would have definitely done that pre kids.

Re Xmas, I can only go on my experience, and we've spent Xmas in Val D every year since 2008 (so 6 Christmases) and always had great conditions snow wise, maybe that's lulled me into a false sense of security and I've just come to (wrongly) expect it.

Anyway, it ain't over yet and snow is forecast and if the temp drops as expected then they can use the snow cannons a lot more
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

I've been going in the week before Christmas for the past 7 years and the snow has ALWAYS been good. I've always picked high-ish resorts like La Plagne/Courchevel/Val D and it's never, ever been a problem. Until possibly this. year. Your ski area may be a lot lower and smaller.

MANY people book this week for that reason; the slopes are quieter, it's cheaper and it's not normally *that* much of a gamble. Indeed some years we've enjoyed better snow than those in the following four or five weeks.

This year may just be unlucky.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, yes, Christmas is generally OK but later is very frequently better, particularly for off piste. My area has only had one very poor Christmas in the 13 seasons I've been visiting but the fact remains that Christmas is the beginning of the season with historically low snow depths - just look at any snow charts; they all tell the same story.

No, it's not "that much" of a gamble. But a lot more of a gamble than, say, late February (though obviously, of course, a lot cheaper). There's a reason why it's cheaper and why, in probably the majority of resorts (though not in the handful of big purpose built French ski resorts, which are not typical of the hundreds throughout the Alps) the week of Christmas is the first week of planned full opening.

"Average snow depths" are average snow depths; the fact that occasionally Christmas will have better snow than late January doesn't change that.
snow report
The point I'm trying to make is that the big, high resorts usually have decent snow just before Christmas, so booking them in advance is normally a reasonably safe bet. Yes the snow depths are generally lower, but there's good skiing to be had. Even this year, there is skiing available on the glaciers at Tignes and Val, and in Val Thorens. I'm talking about piste skiing, not off piste.

Of course Feb/March/Easter snow will be better, but this year is unusual for both lack of snow and lack of any imminent significant falls.

I'm going a week on Sunday, and there will be snow somewhere in the Three Valleys.
ski holidays
If I don't book NY early I wouldn't get accommodation in Mayrhofen, it's that simple. I normally book as I leave the hoteil the previous year, which seems to be fairly normal in Austria.
snow report
I've skied pre- and early-season at lot over the last 15 years, typically coming out for the last weekend in November or the first full week of December through until the New Year. This is the first time ever I've been in a resort with no snow apart from the very highest runs (i.e. above 2600m in the Tarentaise region in France). There is some skiing to be had (mainly on the local glaciers), but compared to even previously poor years it is very limited. Perhaps what's more depressing is the forecast over the next week isn't very encouraging. By comparison, in 2011, the last time winter arrived later than usual, on 5 December it was just about to start snowing and the forecast was full of promise.

It's still not too late for Christmas and New Year weeks which are still a way off, but the next couple of weeks are going to be very limited, IMO.
snow report
@rob@rar, http://www.thelocal.fr/20141205/no-snow-scuppers-world-cup-races-in-france

clearly they have decided that whatever they do open in a week or so time will be limited
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I've skied pre- and early-season at lot over the last 15 years, typically coming out for the last weekend in November or the first full week of December through until the New Year. This is the first time ever I've been in a resort with no snow apart from the very highest runs (i.e. above 2600m in the Tarentaise region in France). There is some skiing to be had (mainly on the local glaciers), but compared to even previously poor years it is very limited. Perhaps what's more depressing is the forecast over the next week isn't very encouraging. By comparison, in 2011, the last time winter arrived later than usual, on 5 December it was just about to start snowing and the forecast was full of promise.

It's still not too late for Christmas and New Year weeks which are still a way off, but the next couple of weeks are going to be very limited, IMO.

From what i was told VT are trying to open the cime/boismint set of lifts at the weekend. Which is down to about 2150 metres. Ill see in a couple of days if they manage it. Have been swamped with people wanting to rent there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy