Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tuning you skis, how often do you need to get them tuned?

Poster: A snowHead
It's usually a right of fall passage, but is it needed every year? If I am lucky I get 10-15 days. Use them hard, but try to avoid rocks and base damage ( of course!). They are 3 year old dynastar chams 97, that I have owned since the start, even though they have adjustable rental bindings (long story) if that makes a difference. Thx for the great advice I know you all will provide.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest annually, a good edge is well worth the £20-25 cost. Plus I'd recommend taking to Jon Coster, Piste Office at Lambley, Spyderjon on here, a hand finish much better than a ski shop banging them through a machine, they'll last much longer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Redwine, yeah, annually at least. A good machine can do a good job edges and base wise, although nothing beats a hand waxing. Well so my wife tells me...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Redwine wrote:
Use them hard, but try to avoid rocks and base damage

Puzzled That's not 'using them hard'. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The correct answer is never as any gentleman tunes his own when he can be assed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I paid someone else to do them I'd go 3-4 weeks. Now I DIY at the end of each trip (one week).

Oh, and @moffatross, +1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
I'd suggest annually, a good edge is well worth the £20-25 cost. Plus I'd recommend taking to Jon Coster, Piste Office at Lambley, Spyderjon on here, a hand finish much better than a ski shop banging them through a machine, they'll last much longer.

Not all ski shops "bang them through a machine" Very Happy Most, but not all!

ScottyDog
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like to wax them every ski week. Edges need doing when they dull, depends on what you are skiing; powder does not need sharp edges or dull them, ice needs keen edges and soon dulls the edge & the need doing when they loose edge hold.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i bought brand new skis 4 years ago and have only used them for 1 week that same year, i will be using them again in february so was gonna get them serviced, should i leave it til just before i go or doesnt it matter, also where is the best place to store skis at home?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fell off my skis after they'd been serviced . . . But perhaps 12+ weeks and 4yrs of schlepping about was pushing the limits. Actually they were doing fine, I just thought they were due for it. They became incredible grabby and horrible to ski . . . Such is life and it's vicissitudes Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Masque, ffs watch those apostrophes, my friend! xx
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@scottydog, That`s why I drive a couple of hours to you !!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rizzotherock, store them under the bed, nice and dry, no chance of rust. Don't leave them in a bag or strapped up. Get them done before you go save the hassle in resort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pedantica, Shocked mea culpa madam sensei . . . I could claim predictive text . . . But that would be a lie Embarassed

Though how many are wondering wtf is a vicissitude? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks radar for the advice
latest report
After each run
ski holidays
once a year for mine
latest report
Hi - I do my own and all my family's / mates EVERY time we go (2 / 3 weeks a year minimum) as I have all the kit I need - Jon Coster / Spyderjon taught me everything I know! He's something of a tuning guru to say the least.......................

I reckon it's worth the time and effort cos when on the hill you never know exactly when you might need the sharpest edge you can get or the whizziest base!

Cheers

The Bisonator
latest report
Tune them as often or as rarely as you want.

A properly serviced ski will glide better and turn better than a ski which has been abused. But in many (the majority?) of cases your technique is more important: if you can correctly edge and turn a ski, then you will get much more out of it than if you just slide and skid around.

Once you have decent technique, then the quality of servicing starts to become an issue.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 1-12-14 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@RobW, +1, nicely put, good technique will take you safely down the hill on a couple of barrel staves. wink
snow report
With modern technology advances you can normally manage 18,000 between services.

I left my skis at Lake Louise for a service they didnt really need last night, I sorry now because Revelstoke has opened up and the skis are an hour in the wrong direction
ski holidays
last season I hand tuned my piste skis every 10 days or so - edged and waxed. Never sharpened my powder skis at all, waxed them twice.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 1-12-14 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
On hard snow will look at the edges with a diamond stone every couple of days. Will wax at the end of a week or when needed. Off piste will still look at the edges everynow and then, but mostly look for rock damage. Whilst way on the snow I mostly just need Zardoz and a diamond stone.
snow report
I haven't serviced my Salomon Force 9 2S's for 20 years now.

To be fair I haven't skied on them for 18 years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy