Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Zero_G, cheers , yep both happy @ 35' ( him more than me ) but has to be done to keep up with the boy , will look into that , have heard good things about evo 2 ,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some vids for a slow day.

http://www.zapiks.com/pro/chamlines/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

it can be a great day out with a runout onto the Mer de Glace and a great view of the Drus.

Funny, when I did the Pas de Chevre a couple of seasons ago, I was more pre-occupied with getting down in one piece and didn't really look at the Dru's, it was only when we got the cliff before the Moraine that I appreciated their majesty. I would definitely appreciate it more now I know that the route is very manageable but you do have to be comfortable on reasonably steep terrain.

Quote:

so would appreciate any pointer to guides and venues for a good day out

If you are up to Pas de Chevre, then definitely suggest you skip the VB as it is a bit touristy and try one of the sportier variants that spit you out on the Mer de Glace- Petit/Midi Envers. Some of the stuff off Grand Montets down to the Argentiere glacier is challenging without being over committing, so you can find your level with the guide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Zero_G, let me know if Cham needs some snow. I've called in some real beauties from friends in the states. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Feast, yes, oh yes, oh yes, please! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

A pic from very early morning. There are huge, snow-covered mountains somewhere behind that cloud cover.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Zero_G, blue skies above 1,500 according to Meteo Suisse... go get it!

See? Breaking up!

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

While the Chamonix valley was covered in cloud today and some grim conditions up on the mountains, we headed over to Courmayeur, where it was full bluebird, fantastic powder up top, great food and great company. And no crowds!

<— A couple of suspicious characters I met on the interweb wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can confirm it was lovely, I spent all day looking for @Zero_G, wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, can't believe we skied the same lines but never ran into each other Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After a beautiful day in Cour yesterday, it was looking a bit grim at valley level in Chamonix this morning, but a quick glance at the webcams, and I was on the first bus to Brevent this morning to take advantage of the ski-testing, and watch a little of the FWT.

Great conditions in the morning - most of the skiing above the clouds, beautifully groomed pistes, and hardly a soul to be seen, other than those gathered on the ridges to watch the competition!

Cloud level rose and fell a bit in the morning, and from 1.30pm got hazier, with flat light over most of the mountain. We skied better on Charles Bozon with no goggles or glasses at all! Quit just after 2pm, but tested 3 pairs of skis, so a productive day.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Evening everyone. I am heading to Chamonix this weekend for three days and my group is deliberating over whether to go for the Chamonix pass or the Mont Blanc unlimited one. In the past I've always gone for the latter but I've always been for a week and it never made any sense to go for anything but the MBU. The combination of limited time and lower price is pushing us towards the Chamonix pass, so I would like to know a) whether this will give us enough to fill 2.5 days with, and b) whether the snow is currently good enough in the areas covered by the Chamonix pass (which don't include the highest areas if memory serves). Advice gratefully received...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@vinerower Just leaving the house for a similar trip equipped with the chamonix pass. If you can wait until Wednesday evening I'll let you know whether it was sufficient!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It depends on what your group want to ski. If you mainly want to do off piste and are turning up with all the gear then MBU. If not for two and a half days the cheaper pass is fine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve77 wrote:
It depends on what your group want to ski. If you mainly want to do off piste and are turning up with all the gear then MBU. If not for two and a half days the cheaper pass is fine.

+1

I skied Brevent again yesterday - wanting to stay in the sun, as it was cold and windy in general. Also wanted to test a few more skis Smile

Pistes were notably harder/icier than Saturday, and also busier. Queues were tolerable though, and the ski testing made it interesting, so had a fun 4 hours or so.

A few friends went to GM and reported very cold conditions, so I'm glad we stayed on the sunny side!
latest report
Scongie wrote:
@vinerower Just leaving the house for a similar trip equipped with the chamonix pass. If you can wait until Wednesday evening I'll let you know whether it was sufficient!

Wednesday evening is acceptable, Scongie - look forward to your report. Very Happy
snow report
@vinerower. I think you've timed your trip well. It's forecast to heap it down on Thursday. Was snowing v lightly when I left les houches to head home this lunchtime. Been v cold last few days which has kept pistes in decent condition but could do with more snow to top everything up and cover the more rocks off piste. Wish I was staying all week.
snow report
It's been snowing lightly since about 2pm this arvo, thickening up as it got dark and it's still falling snowHead
latest report
vinerower, skiing-wise the MBU pass provides access to the top cable car at Grands Montets and to the Aiguille du Midi. For a few days, the Le Pass should be more than enough.
snow report

Finally, some visibility!
Was a tricky out there today with complete whiteout for most of the time I was on the mountain. Around 12.30pm it cleared just enough to see some detail in the snow and I was able to find soft, fresh snow that very few people had skied up to that point. it was the best 40 minutes of the day snowHead
ski holidays

One of the traverses to a favourite off piste face was closed off.
latest report
The mythical powder fields of Les Houches delivered today Smile
latest report
@AndAnotherThing.., this means nothing without pics Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, I do have a bit of vid. Looks like the incoming storm will set you up. People describing it as a '100 year storm'.
snow report
Quote:

People describing it as a '100 year storm'.

Hmm. Neither Meteo France nor Chamonix Meteo seem to be seeing it that way. Plenty of snow, by the look of it, but not some kind of snowmageddon. Which is just as well or nobody will be doing much skiing for weeks. There IS such a thing as too much snow.
snow conditions
I love the way people forget the huge storms we had in previous years.. the 100 year storm thing is a load of cobblers... I'm 41 and I standby that End Jan / whole of Feb 99 will not be equalled again... there was over a metre of snow base in Aime in the valley for weeks and weeks.. so even though the lifts shut, we were skiing to the valley floor from Plagne 1800 with a little hiking initially.. There was a base of about 40cm in Plagne Centre and then in 5 days it changed to 260cm at resort level... then it never stopped all season really.. fingers crossed this one delivers.. but I don't reckon there are the signs there that it will be epic.. just a good one. That one in 99 was pretty unique with the cold air front hitting a mild one from the south...
latest report
Lol.. I forget what forum I was in wink

Chamonix was a tragic season that year too Sad
ski holidays
A bit of snow forecast but nothing crazy. Someone mentioned on another thread that 200cm has been forecast for Cham for this week. Two hundred! Laughing Not sure where he got that info because, as pam w said above, the local reports are being far more conservative with the forecasts.

That said, if more snow falls than CdMB can handle and lifts don't open, I'll be breaking in the new skins Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm driving up today just in case too much snow falls tomorrow Smile I'd rather not drive in a storm!

@Zero_G, if lifts aren't open tomorrow I'll borrow some skis from Local and join you for a skin Smile
latest report
I'm wondering if I should pop down to the Spar today to panic buy wink
Truth be told, I wish the storm of the century thing was true. I've never seen one and I won't be around next century.

fixx wrote:
@Zero_G, if lifts aren't open tomorrow I'll borrow some skis from Local and join you for a skin
Excellent! I may just be able to manage a skin up Planards... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Les Houches pistes are in lovely condition, the off piste is anke deep with an ok base. Could do with a dusting of snow to make it realy nice Wink
snow conditions
@Idris, I'm stuck in the office, whilst my other half is out in Chx. She sent me a text this morning saying 'Les Houches'; I replied 'trees, trees, trees'; She replied 'blues, blues, blues, waft, waft, waft'.

I'm afraid I might have shed a little tear at the waste of it all.

Will we see you next week in Munchen?
snow conditions
Blue skies at GM today and the snow between the pistes was in decent condition. But sweet baby cheeses it got colder as the day wore on! The balls of my feet and my toes were useless lumps of numb flesh inside my boots. Around 1pm the sky went from mostly blue to white and we lost definition in the light as a mass of clouds came over the back of GM. I hung around to see if things would improve but it just grew colder and darker.

Decided to quit for the day and took the home run down, which was grim and scraped down to ice in many places. Skied the mogulled side-of-piste stuff whenever it was available. Lucky for me, fixx was visiting the Zag shop and swung round to GM to give me a ride home, with the heater blasting life back into my numb feet. It was glorious (where's the heart smilie?)
snow report
I don't think it was a local talking in '100 year storm' terms but I'm sure I heard something about 2m worth somewhere as well.

It has been a cold week though. I suspect that I caught some frost nip on my nose over at Le Tour a couple of days ago. That 1st chair lift is evil.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., the chair on the Vallorcine side can be worse. Hoods up, face completely covered by buff and goggles, head hunched over in the brace position worse.

Is your nose going to turn black like Sir Ranulph? Skullie
snow report
That chair was indeed a bit chilly today. Good conditions on le tour today though. Most pistes in good shape and found some soft stuff off to the side. Vid came and went a few times but the snow conditions were so good it didn't spoil it.

@vinerower as others have said plenty on the le pass ticket to keep you occupied and if this storm rolls in you'll have a fab time.

Great few days and I think I might be back same time next year. Enjoy folks.
latest report
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/haute-savoie/avdept74

Level 4/5 avi risk tomorrow.
Take it easy!
ski holidays
jbob, yes, the next few days are going to call for ultra caution, methinks. Fragile snowpack, masses of new snow and high winds do not a safe combination make.
latest report
(I have no idea why that second sentence came out all Yoda-like)
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
@Idris,
Will we see you next week in Munchen?
Yes hiding out in Hall A1 at Entropy resin's booth
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy