Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Big dump forecast for the weekend Very Happy. Fingers crossed!

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/chamonix-mont-blanc/skireport.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very short morning at Brevent today. Coverage is pretty thin there and victim to some vicious thaw-freeze cycles: I had more "Woa, ice!" moments than I care to think about, interspersed with edges skittering across boilerplate. Character building, to say the least, but I'm not sure I have any adrenalin left in my body.

At least it's sunny! I'll enjoy the sunshine and take a walk through the woods to Les Praz for lunch at Les Rhododendrons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
coolbeanz, not sure where that site gets its weather data from but it totally contradicts the Cham Meteo forecast. The ensemble that I've been watching like a hawk has been reducing the amount of expected snowfall for the weekend every day I look at it Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
While Cham appears to be getting some snow this weekend its seems likely to be about 1/2 of what On The Snow is predicting. Arriving mid-feb, just hoping real winter arrives by then. I am becoming a bit neurotic, checking the weather constantly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'll enjoy the sunshine and take a walk through the woods to Les Praz for lunch at Les Rhododendrons.

that sounds delightful. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied Flegere this afternoon. As said above all very thin but some decent snow about especially higher up. A few more people than I expected but not too busy. Oh yes, and lovely sunshine. Anyone know what LH is like?
As for the weekend both Cham Meteo and GFS are dialing back on the big dump forecast, going instead with three micro dumps, each one bigger than the last.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'll enjoy the sunshine and take a walk through the woods to Les Praz for lunch at Les Rhododendrons.

that sounds delightful. snowHead

Urm......last I heard it had shut down following the sale to the Cabane owners, is that out of date, is it open again?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@midgetbiker, definitely still open when we drove past on the 21st. No change in menu or other offering in resto at least as of September (maybe August). When was the sale? Are we expecting another gastro experience? (Frankly, I'd prefer no change)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
Skied Flegere this afternoon. As said above all very thin but some decent snow about especially higher up. A few more people than I expected but not too busy. Oh yes, and lovely sunshine. Anyone know what LH is like?
As for the weekend both Cham Meteo and GFS are dialing back on the big dump forecast, going instead with three micro dumps, each one bigger than the last.

If LH is les Houches, then it's pretty much thin and icy everywhere. I was there on Tues to watch the BSA races and did a bit of skidding around in between. Was directly the cause of switching to SL skis today! Back there tomorrow morning to meet someone for a couple of hours then will try elsewhere.

All those patchy, icy Glenshee days are standing me in good stead this week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@footsoldier, thanks.
Long shot, anyone know if the Piste de Fond is open in Valorcine?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Watching this thread with interest as I'm heading to Cham for my L3 Mountain Safety at the end of Jan; presuming that we should be able to find somewhere with sufficient snow coverage to skin up, dig snow pits and get some turns in off piste.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@abd, you'll be fine. There's lots going on high up.

Fwiw there was a f big avalanche on mont Buet today.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@abd, yes. No problems.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jbob, @under a new name, thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, hmmmmmmm..........

The building was sold 18-24months ago (when the hotel closed and the Cabane staff started to use it for quarters.

I heard in October that the bar business had also been sold, but that no change would be apparent this season,

but then friends staying in the run upto and over Christmas told me it was shut.

So who knows, but I'll find out in a few days when I fly over to get a download on all the Praz gossip.
snow report
@midgetbiker, I can confirm that Les Rhodos is closed Sad

Had a great day's skiing today at GM despite the conditions. The pistes are completely scraped bare and the lower off piste is still a smidgen soft (some lovely, smooth bumps to be found in Canada bowl). Was surprised to find ankle deep snow on the Meadows, albeit with a thin breakable crust. Up top there is still some soft stuff if you can get past the first ice pitch.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
@footsoldier, thanks.
Long shot, anyone know if the Piste de Fond is open in Valorcine?

no ski de fond at valorcine very bare ...a bit at argentiere and a snow made 4kish @ chamonix
snow report
@midgetbiker, @Zero_G, it <looked> open when we drove past then.

Pity.
snow conditions
@bluestick, thanks, saved a drive over. The cham track is in very bad nick.
ski holidays
Thanks @JaMMi, I appreciate it!!
ski holidays
Brief morning at Le Tour today.

The wind was gusting something fierce on the Vallorcine side. Gravel showing through on the pistes. Lift-served off piste quite crunchy, with lots of visible rocks and vegetation. We lapped that twice before the lifties advised they would be closing the chair lift at any time due to wind. At the top, the wind was so strong that our faces were being sandblasted by flying snow, so we headed back to the Le Tour side and headed back down on the home run shortly thereafter. As we were leaving, they were warning new arrivals that the lifts would be closed imminently due to high wind.

We met some Russians in the car park who told us that Brevent-Flegere and GM were also closing due to wind. Raining in town now.
latest report
Had a nice ish afternoon skiing at Flegere. First bit of luck, my daughter scored a free ski pass from a retreating skier at mid day, 42.50 euro saved. The vis wasn't great but not terrible either, we lapped the index four times in worsening weather, the snow was ok if not great, not too much competition. An enjoyable couple of hours.

There are a few Russians around but fewer than last year. It was tipping down tonight as I drove home, the temp was 4C. A bit more snow expected over the weekend.
snow report
Can't say what the skiing is like (I've been felled by the Cham lurgy, so am holed up in bed) but it's pretty grim at valley level with thick, low cloud and rain. Rain. In January. With temperatures that have no business being this warm. Almost all of the snow in town has melted or been washed out by the rain.
snow report
@Zero_G, just as well the skiing isn't at village level then isn't it?

I'm not skiing due injury but it looks as though the snow line dropped to ~1,500m but not as low here as hoped. CMB suggesting 20cms fresh at 2,500m on Brevent.

I suspect there some nice skiing to be done.

P.S. It is not just a Chamonix lurgey Skullie
latest report
Le Tour all closed due to Wind, same goes for the Midi (all white this morning) and the top of the GM.

Skied Les Houches this lunchtime, no one, got fresh turns in the 5 cm that's there. Upper 3rd, Col de Vosa and above is quite nice, a bit of fresh on a firm base. The Plancert lift on the backside is shut due to lack of snow but all the other upper lifts are open.

Below the Kandahar Chair (top of Maison Neuve) don't bother, the Kandahar itself is closed for a race and the otehr pistes don't have good or any coverage.

Below Maison Neuve is hard and icy with fozen mud and/or rocks poking through, yes it's descendable with care, but only if you are trying to get to somewhere higher up than the parking, otherwise take the lift down!
snow report
Brevent had a nice 15/20cm of fresh but the lack of a good base means there is already lots of bushes poking through and some rocks which are not covered sufficiently. Should have got up there earlier as there were already loads of tracks on the bowls off the top cable car. A number of people had put lines on the Hotel Slope but I think it needs more snow before I''d want to hit that.

Any news from up the Midi? Thinking of heading up tomorrow morning if it's good
snow conditions
Any of the snowparks open guys? Headed next sat for off piste course... Hope the forecast for some snow holds this wk!
snow report

Had an epic on the Montenveres train. My granddaughter aged two is obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine. So I took her on the train. Unfortunately the train broke down two thirds of the way up when the overhead power cable snapped causing a small fire on the roof of the car we were in. There was a loud bang and the train suddenly stopped. The broken power cable was hanging down by the side of the car. One of the guards came and told us a rescue diesel was on its way. Maybe an hour after the bang the diesel arrived some engineers cleared the wires and we went back down on the brakes with the diesel in front, presumably to catch us if the brakes failed, they were smelling a bit.
It was all totally like an episode of Thomas.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 11-01-15 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

The rescue engine.
ski holidays
I skied Les Houches today as well - as Idris said, snow is best on the top third, not worth bothering below that. And it was very quiet. I had a really enjoyable few hours lapping some deserted unpisted areas once I found them. Really really fun. Ok the snow isn't great overall, but when you find the good stuff, it is pretty good. And who can complain about an afternoon on the snow in the sun snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@jicjoc, a portion of the one at GM is open.

Dragged my lurgy-ridden body up GM first thing this morning and it turned out to be very hard work with loads of ice everywhere, even off piste.

The top bin was closed when we arrived and only opened around 11-ish, by which time there was a huge queue. Despite the ice everywhere, we persevered and finally found an unskied face with ankle deep snow and only the odd crunchy spot. We were the only people skiing it (it took a bit of poling and skating to get there), so we lapped it till our legs gave out.

The warm temps, high wind and lack of snow top-up is taking its toll — the amount of ice on the pistes is certainly a liability and I saw three blood wagon rescues in the space of four hours.
snow report
Courmayeur was very wind effected off piste. Ice, soft wind blown snow, ice, soft wind blow, repeat. Icy on piste.

The food however was as unbelievably good as ever!
snow conditions
Brevent good this afternoon. The sun came out and even with a bit of hard pack around it was good skiing. Few skiers about.
ski holidays

On the top of the brevent.
snow report
You will
Need to stand on your head. Post from my phone.
snow report
OliC wrote:
Courmayeur was very wind effected off piste. Ice, soft wind blown snow, ice, soft wind blow, repeat. Icy on piste.

The food however was as unbelievably good as ever!
ditto
snow report
jbob wrote:

On the top of the brevent.

That looks like a river of water Shocked
ski holidays

Try again. It was good snow on the Bozon.
latest report
Sweet baby cheeses, still no new snow Confused

Skied Brevent today for a change of scenery. Had ample opportunity to practise skiing on ice all day – don't let anyone tell you that it's not possible to ski ice on fat powder skis with what are, by now, very blunt edges because I'm getting pretty darned good at it. And I can't tell you how many rocks I skied over off piste, I eventually stopped caring.

It was also very windy up there and we were sandblasted by flying snow and ice. Still a bit of snow on the mogul fields up top but the rest was basically scraped clean or blown away. The blue run that everyone has to ski when you exit the bubble was mostly sheet ice by 1pm and I felt really sorry for all of the petrified beginners trying to negotiate their way down there.

Despite all of that, I actually had a really good day because, well, it's still skiing and it was an adventure snowHead
ski holidays
Does anyone want to get together to sacrifice small animals to the snow gods?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy