Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
French news showing motorways shut due to snow - emergency accommodation opened up in Chambery.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sounds like lots of snow Very Happy im coming next friday snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel looks as thought it enjoyed a decent covering last night judging from the webcam pictures this morning. Still up to another 15cm conservatively forecast for the next 48 hours also.

My gauge is the 'home' run of Villages which is always the first to be closed. It opened for a week at the beginning of February but it isn't looking likely that it will stay around for my trip three weeks today.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back from Half Term week, looks like we were lucky to get out of 3vs on Saturday Morning before the snow came down.

One thing that was really apparent was the really poor quality of piste preparation in Meribel compared with Courchevel and St Martin/Les Menuires, I guess due to the poor base, it appeared that in Meribel piste preparation consists of spraying some man made snow ball bearings over the freeze thaw ice for most of the runs off Saulire. Whereas 1850 and 1650 and St Martin well prepared courdroy. We had the best skiing on Masse, Vallon and 1650.

Exciting news was the notice at St Martin 2 that this is to become a 6 pack next year. I guess that this may be bitter sweet, like adding an extra lane to the M25, and may only make the area more crowed ... We shall see.

I was expecting serious overcrowding, in reality you have to marvel at the 3V's ability to soak up lots of people. My guide to how busy it is, is how near the entrance to the Chaudanne car park you can get, we were always in the 1st dozen, parking up at 9.15, so maybe this quintessentialy British resort is not attractive to the Parisians!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was some deliberation as to whether to make the St Martin 2 lift an 8 person lift but clearly they have settled for a high speed 6 person chairlift. The old 4 person chairlift is being moved to replace Bettax and will be slightly longer than the existing Bettax 2 seater and will come out near the Brelin apartments.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DavidYacht,
Helpful info! Interesting about the car park - had always assumed it would be chocker by 9, so may use that next week. Agree about Meribel piste mgmt. - rarely see corduroy on that side...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DavidYacht, I'd forgotten that delightful, marble-strewn crust first thing in the morning below Saulire! Looking forward to seeing it again on Sunday morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DavidYacht wrote:

I was expecting serious overcrowding, in reality you have to marvel at the 3V's ability to soak up lots of people. My guide to how busy it is, is how near the entrance to the Chaudanne car park you can get, we were always in the 1st dozen, parking up at 9.15, so maybe this quintessentialy British resort is not attractive to the Parisians!

IMO, parking place number 77 is the best in the Chaudanne parking (how anal is that?), upper level next the the steps under Rhodos. I got it 3 times during half-term week... just like having ski-in ski-out
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
very wet day in Meribel today - a bit of rain and snow higher up, moon park is new to me as I haven't been here for a few years properly, mostly been in VT! great fun falling over most of the obstacles! Les Menuires had lovely condish this morning, much better than when I was here in January Val thorens mostly just mist so headed back to Meribel and spent the afternoon skiing away from fog where possible! Generally not too bad but would love a sunny day!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lgkersh, how long are you out there for? The back end of this week looks as though it'll deliver some sunny days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freezing level is just a bit high at the moment for the lower resorts. Can someone do something about it, all that precipitation going to waste lower down
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from the 3Vs, staying in La Tania. Generally a very snowy week with poor viz high up, except for Weds and Thursday which were beautiful days. On the Weds we headed off towards VT but hit major queues in Meribel Chaudanne and also at the Tougnette 2 chair. After some deviations to avoid further queues we ended up at the Bruyeres bubble in Reberty which was absolutely rammed. After waiting 20 mins and not moving we turned round and went up La Masse - good call as the snow was in great condition.

Loads of snow all week and grooming was good in the Courchevel valley where we stayed most of the time. Even so, some areas of high traffic/steep were becoming quite scraped at the end of the day. All in all a great week but the weather gods could have been kinder and turned the lights on!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived Meribel Sunday morning after a night spent in the valley, had a ok day of skiing on the Sunday but late afternoon it started warming up. Snow turning to rain. Sadly, the nights forecast heavy snow has turned into heavy rain. Started say midnight and, guessing from the number of time it woke me up (sleeping in a loft room of the chalet) the rain continued throughout the night. It's light now and visibility is pretty good to the mid stations. So think it's rain quite a long way up the hill.

I don't think I've ever experienced such heavy rain in a resort in March.

Now wondering what if any of the resort will be skiable today? Top section of the hill?

What's it like skiing in the rain..... Do I need even ask Wink

Is it time to settle down for the day to read a book, go for a swim, or should we head on up once the lifts open?

Suggestions for a wet Meribel gladly accepted

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow level at 1500 this morning, freezing level 2100, but dropping, more snow forecast today this morning. Could be hit and miss on the rain, you could try stay high, maybe val thorens would be good today.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, it's my first ever sofa morning on a ski holiday. Am I getting soft or lazy? Nope, it's raining to the mid level and the upper lifts are closed. Will keep fingers crossed for the afternoon. Ah well, only day two, and it's still a good holiday day
latest report
Fingers crossed that the rain turns to snow! Heading out next week with 4 3vallees "virgins" (they are virgins in the skiing sense only - ahem !).....Looking forward to your updates during this week !
ski holidays
@snaftel, might get icy later if the temps drop off.

Looks like the rest of the week should be ok, getting cold, possibly a bit of snow on wednesday.

Warms up next week at the moment, hope it doesn't get too warm, I'm out there 14th.

I'm looking for some new salopettes, something 10,000 or higher rating just in case Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm looking for some new salopettes, something 10,000 or higher rating just in case

Don't they call those waders? Very Happy
snow conditions
One word for today... scottish.

Blowing a hoolie at the top of Saulire, but actually some really good skiing to be had - combe des pylones was awesome on our last lap before they shut the lift...

Still windy & wet now... Oh well.
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:
One word for today... scottish.

Out here with 3 other scots and we concur! Trapped in the meribel valley with lifts shutting down by the hour but had some great skiing away from the crowds below cote brune.

Looking forward to tomorrow.
latest report
Surprising today how the lifts were shutting one by one...
Remember in previous years was able to ski in blizzards with lifts open up top - now even the lower chairs were shut by lunchtime Sad
ski holidays
@shawaszk, thats because they keep getting rid of ground lifts which can run in high winds, along with the shorter lower chairs, replacing them all with longer high speed chairs which go higher and (quelle surprise) can't run in high winds. Courchevel however don't give a monkey's (non-officially), as when it is bad weather the majority of their clientele go shopping...
snow conditions
Yes, one of the downsides of replacing pomas with chairlifts. Much less resilience in poor weather and not self escapeable. Annoying if you have no other options.
Also provides one good reason why chairlifts have not replaced surface lifts in Scotland.
ski holidays
No. 1.... Whats a Poma?

No.2 Fantastic day in the 3V! saulire 1 up, skied fresh Pow down to the new Loze Express and down in to Courcheval which has lovely fresh snow! up to the top and down some blues and red until up to the top and down the Combe de Saulire which was delightful! Over back down to meribel i=which was great for the top half through the powder but still slushy down lower. Over to VT for the afternoon for a couple of runs and then on to the Folie Douce to get just drunk enough to make skiing down the red to Mottaret Slightly more interesting!

All in all im knackered and extremely pleased with the days skiing!
latest report
@lgkersh,
1) poma tow = drag lift
2) glad you had a good day - mine was similar, tho' disappointing Saulire 2 didn't open till 10.30 as would have preferred to be up on Saulire without the detour via Loze. lovely tho' that chairlift is Toofy Grin
hope tomorrow is as good, and tat top lifts open earlier...!
ski holidays
Today was payback day for the hardy few who braved it out yesterday in the wild winds:

Caution is needed though - with the wild winds and varying temperatures the snowpack has had alot of big changes recently and will have plenty of traps - as evidenced by the two skier-triggered slides in Orelle today: http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2015/03/03/orelle-quatre-snowboarders-emportes-par-une-avalanche, and what looked like a big scare for 2 skiers on the Butcher's Run off the Rocher de la Loze with a slab that ran a long way.

It was also quite scary to see how tracks appeared almost everywhere it was possible to get to (plus ça change...) despite some obvious releases triggered by the PIDA; not to mention the young English skier who got herself cragfast above some steep rocky terrain in Rocher de L'Ombre despite the clear blue skies and perfect visibility. Oh and the number of skiers charging about the further reaches of the couloirs on their own without any visible avalanche kit... Oh yes and the groups led by instructors heading into potential avalanche terrain without any obvious avalanche safety kit (while the non-professional could simply be ignorant of the risk the pros should know better - particularly this winter!).
Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded...
latest report
Hi, slightly off topic but not really sure where to post the question.

I have booked a chalet in Les Allues, is it possible to ski back to the village? Also, if we stay further on up in Meribel for a few après beers then what are the options for getting back to Les Allues?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
Temps looking to be not quite as hot next week, should see a bit of fresh snow today
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sunshine81, if you can't ski back, there's also free bus http://www.meribel.net/fileadmin/PDF/hiver/7_annexes/telechargements/HORAIRES_MERIBUS_hiver_2014-15.pdf
snow report
Definitely can't ski back at the moment.
ski holidays
Arriving in La Tania on the 7th and forecast is spring like for next week...yippee. BUT will the snow hold up OK?
latest report
I wouldn't worry about it, the models that meteoexploration use have updated, now showing colder than it was earlier.

Friday the 13th FI ensembles look good, if freezing levels are low enough:

http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/La-Tania/?lang=en
latest report
Why no skiing back to Les Allues, as a matter of interest? Is it too low down?
snow conditions
There is a green..I think..back to les allues but everything has to be perfect,snow temps etc, for it to be useable.
ski holidays
We spotted some silly lines being skied yesterday, 2 of which had triggered avalanches.

Much more snow falling today than forecast. Combined with atrocious visibility this morning that meant there was virtually no one on the mountain and some fairly decent powder to be had in piste and just off.

Just the one mistake: decided to take a black instead of a red which hadn't been bashed and together with virtually zero visibility it was a tad tortuous. Back early as the old legs are a bit tired and an early night will mean first lift tomorrow in what looks like sunshine.
ski holidays
Variable visibility today. On the Saulire at 9am - 0, by 12.30 was reasonable even looked as if sun might be breaking thru, by 2 was down to a couple of skis length. Loadsa snow falling today tho - hoping some bashing happens tonight!
ski holidays
Watching this thread closely now as I've just booked to go to La Tania for a weekend in March (20th - 22nd) stopping in the Hotel Telemark. Can't wait Very Happy
snow report
stevew - we'll be in the chalet opposite, leave on the 21st though, but late so have a morning skiing to fit in still Wink
ski holidays
@Little Martin, @shawaszk, @wolfie308, Thanks for the responses. We arrive on 14th so there is time yet Very Happy
snow conditions
We arrive 7th, getting very excited.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy