Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
@chrisb, less fun but perhaps more practical wink

It would be quite a big moment for the 3V lift company to actually not sell people a 3V pass....

If they're going to pull up the drawbridge everytime conditions are poor it kinda negates one of the main reasons for going there - access to high, snow sure slopes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:

If they're going to pull up the drawbridge everytime conditions are poor it kinda negates one of the main reasons for going there - access to high, snow sure slopes

Although not a lot has been said about how this is going to be policed, one thing that they have said is that if you are staying in Val Thorens then you'll definitely get a pass (you just might need to bring along some evidence). So that will have the opposite effect of what you say, it'll actually make people keener to stay in VT as then they know they'll definitely be guaranteed a pass and some skiing.

That said, I don't believe they'll stop anyone with a 3V pass skiing there - you might just need to prove that you're staying in the 3V when you buy the pass. I think the reason that they have mentioned restricting passes is because other resorts (outside the 3V) started to bus people into Val Thorens which, if they continue to allow, starts to have a detrimental effect on the people who have choosen to stay in VT or the 3V (through crowded pistes etc) who will be the priority from a revenue perspective.

That said, I quite like the Folie Douce sniper idea... Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another lovely sunny day. Went down from saulier down to meribel today as the la tania link was closed apart from downloading on the chair. Was a good run mostly good conditions. Went back up and did saulier piste down the steep side. Good snow in the bowl although one bit which was fenced off that I had to investigate was very icy Laughing

Went under another fenced off piste petit lac a few stones but nothing too bad.

Overall a good day happy to be skiing these conditions staying high is giving the best skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, I should have been clearer - I meant it would negate the "we can always got VT if conditions are poor" reason to stay in other 3V resorts. That safety net is gone if VT pull up the drawbridge... I think people who book a holiday in the 3V expect access to the entire circuit and will/would be mighty cheesed off if they were banned from certain of its areas for whatever reason.

I agree with you that they won't impose that ban, but may start to turn away coaches below St MdeB.

But then hopefully it will dump down on Sunday and the whole thing will be a moot point

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-12-14 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@red 27, ahh I see your point, and I totally agree. Especially as it works in reverse too, when the conditions get a bit windy and hairy in VT, then VT skiiers generally go down to get some shelter in the lower 3V resorts. The other resorts could soon get their revenge! Hence I think you're right the 3V will stick together but just turn buses away from other resorts.

Fingers crossed for sunday!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
interesting reading... looks like i will be taking my ON3P Billy Goats if we do get some powder on sunday... was planning to just take my kung fujas... still so looking forward to it...

tempted to just get a VT pass for the week... skied in the 3V numbers times before but mainly a easpace killy skier...

opinions???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
most of val is open, the others in my groups were there today.

15 min queues for some lifts, and busy.

Current 3V openings:

http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/?p=7855

That says there are some restrictions on day passes for val.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went over to Orelle today. Not bad conditions, few rocks starting to show through and some very scratchy bits. Weather has been warm and sunny which is starting to take its toll on the main slopes.

Before we dropped in to Orelle we had a look from the top over the other resorts, its pretty scary looking at how brown they are and even VT is in need of some snow . The pistes that are open are in good condition but you really do need to stay high to get the good stuff.

Again VT was busy but the que times were ok.

Last I heard some snow is due over the weekend
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really hoping for some snow soon for those going out next week and in the next few weeks.

When I was in VT a couple of weeks ago I thought that Orelle was a bit marginal with a lot of ice and quite a few rocks poking through. Let's hope the forecast snow turns up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Little Martin, We are thinking of getting across to Courchevel before the week is out, We are based in VT. Would you say it is worth the trip if we stayed up high?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would imagine late in the week more will be open as the cannons will be on with the drop in temps. There's enough to ski for a few hours at the moment and not get too bored with repeated runs and they seem to be opening more runs daily. If snow comes on Thursday I would think it will be good skiing Friday in 1850 but potentially busy.

I would probably look at doing maybe something in meribel with maybe creux or saulire in 1850. If you drive instead of ski over then you could fit in a lot more.

I would think if it gets as cold as it suggests then it could be very icy without any fresh snow due to more north facing slopes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Little Martin wrote:

I would probably look at doing maybe something in meribel with maybe creux or saulire in 1850. If you drive instead of ski over then you could fit in a lot more

If you are a reasonable skier it's far easier and quicker to ski over to Meribel/Courchevel than it is to drive! No point having a 3Vs pass and then suffering a tedious drive between one valley and the other!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It more about time you have to actually ski with lunch then get back before the lifts shut. Its a bit easier from courchevel/la tania side as you can drive to meribel and go from there cutting out return lifts. All depends how fast you are and how many stops down the slope you do if skiing with a group or checking piste maps.

Back to the weather looks to be cooling off. Cannons on tonight for certain. Maybe Santa can deliver a white Christmas with a bit of snow at resort level.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, we skied last Saturday from roc de 3 marches above les Menuires towards Mottaret via the Alouette piste, plan de main chair and then a lovely glide down the sitelle to the pas du lac bubble. From VT you could easily go via lac de chambre to plan de main.

In courchevel valley the creux was in great condition as was Combe de Saulire, albeit very hard snow.

No lift queues anywhere, woo hoo!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today skiied snow, ice, grass, and stone. Some pistes in terrible condition.

More pistes open across the 3v. 1650 had some open on top. Saw some cannons on in meribel this morning under saulire express.

Creux was good. Creux du lac was ice.
ski holidays
We went over the 3V today, was doing well until we got caught out by the last red run required to get the the Cote Brune Chain back to VT. We have to come down Menuires side but by the time we got back to the bottom (missus fell and looks like a sprained wrist which meant walking with out boards for miles!! it was nearly 5.30pm. Missed the last free shuttle back to VT, Taxi back (30 Euro).

Meribel in the lower resort was a right sorry state. You can see where the resort staff have tried to get stuff open but the warm sun has really not helped.

Courchevel again was in a right sorry state lower down, The pistes were quiet but very icy and very dangerous. Saw loads of pile ups and a few blood wagons which was not good.

Let hope the weather is right as all the resorts need some snow desperately.
ski holidays
scottydonald wrote:
interesting reading... looks like i will be taking my ON3P Billy Goats if we do get some powder on sunday... was planning to just take my kung fujas... still so looking forward to it...

tempted to just get a VT pass for the week... skied in the 3V numbers times before but mainly a easpace killy skier...

opinions???

Re:Skis,,,Just take something sacrificial, unless there's a dump Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Had a good first few days out here, although my brother did write off a pair of skis on the first day when he hit a rock and ripped the edge off. Would not recommend skiing on anything new unless you're staying high and lifting down.
ski holidays
Had a few nice runs in the 4th valley yesterday. The snow there was slightly softer than in VT, but care is needed with the odd exposed rock on the pistes. return pistes are very hard with some icy moguls, right now sliding is a better description of what we are doing and that is after a ski service! The centre of VT was madly busy and Peclet and Plein Sud had big queues.

Weather now is looking very grey, maybe the snow is coming soon.
snow report
andy1234 wrote:
Had a few nice runs in the 4th valley yesterday. The snow there was slightly softer than in VT, but care is needed with the odd exposed rock on the pistes. return pistes are very hard with some icy moguls, right now sliding is a better description of what we are doing and that is after a ski service! The centre of VT was madly busy and Peclet and Plein Sud had big queues.

Weather now is looking very grey, maybe the snow is coming soon.

Yeah, having edges nice and sharp is a must!
snow conditions
Small bit of snow fell this morning in courchevel. Some blue skies now with cloud. Feeling cooler.

Just a couple of runs today back in chalet. More cannons on around the top of la tania and back down towards 1850. Lift queues and pistes were quieter which made the skiing nicer. Verdons was a little busy still at the top.
ski holidays
Very small amount fell in the Tougnette area in Meribel yesterday morning around 10:30, then back to bluebird until 16:15 when it clouded back over.
snow conditions
bit of snow fell overnight. Lots of snow cannons on as it was much colder than has been. All the cannons on the blue run into la tania have been on all day.

Pistes generally in ok condition a bit hard in shady areas this morning and the odd popular pistes like verdons and creux had very slippery patches later in the day.

Blue skies but cold.

Expecting a good amount of snow tomorrow apparently 3v are expecting to have full area open next week if it does with all lift prices going back to full price from tomorrow.

Looking forward to watching my 5 yro daughter show what she has learnt this week tomorrow, apparently backwards skiing and parallel turns are now in her repertoire so she tells me.

Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
VT cold today, like a normal December - locals also expecting fair amount of snow tomorrow . . . . but only tomorrow. Runs in pretty good condition given how little snow however rocks showing through in places.
ski holidays
Please keep updates coming! Travelling out next week so hoping for enough snow to be able to get dow Madeye-Smiley n to La Tania...
latest report
I think they will get the blue open to la tania. The red is grass near the bottom looks a bit better further up but unless there is a lot of snow I doubt it will open as there are no snow cannons. The green has little snow. We have downloaded on the lift this week.
ski holidays
I have (unconfirmed) word that a LOT of snow has arrived across the whole 3V! Bring on the skiing people! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Cams showing snow now falling in Meribel...Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
woke up to someone scraping snow off a drive outside. Snowing now and looks like from the window the chalet roofs have a couple of inches
snow report
Looks like a piste basher on troika area in la tania hopefully the blue will be open fully
ski holidays
From a quick look on Twitter, it appears to be dumping in 3V's
latest report
Getting up to leave brides this morning, 5-10 cm of snow on the balcony, still snowing. You lucky, lucky ,people!!!! Smile
snow conditions
8:30 am, comming down hard in Brides les bains. Thick as pea soup this morning. Must be at least 20cm dumped last night and another 20 cm today if it carries on like this..
latest report
Overnight snow in Les Menuires and it's currently blowing a hooli so the potential for a lot of wind transported snow off piste. I can see cars at crawling pace on the road back towards St Martin. Transfer day is going to be interesting.
snow conditions
Just been outside, can confirm 25cm dumped last night in brides les bains, meribel must be fantastic. Poor visiblity today, maybe better on the mountain.
snow conditions
Still comming down hardddd Smile
ski holidays
And this is getting crazy...... Orelle closed today as too much snow rolling eyes
ski holidays
Transfer day going to be hilarious unless you are in it. Take a change of underwear if you are travelling!
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/OmBxVfQTuvI
ski holidays
Just had a note from someone driving from Annecy. Very difficult conditions. cars without snow tyres struggling before they get to any hills.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy