Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
@chrisb, I do remember avidly watching Ceefax about the time it refreshed each day Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, ahh Ceefax, and it was so much better for the football scores as you waited for it to refresh as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freezing level looks to drop next week considerably, hope they get the cannons on, or better still a bit of precipitation
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have they not been using the cannons? Temps are all below 0?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Theluji wrote:
Have they not been using the cannons? Temps are all below 0?

Zero isotherm was at 3000m+ yesterday and today looks like another scorcher.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
courchevel doesn't look to have had any cannons on, looks green down to 1850, still snow on top
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Little Martin, see above, it's too warm for cannons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nope, no cannon use AFAIK in Courch or Meribel, and there must be some serious doubt about opening weekend on 6th December, although ValTho looks like getting some snow over the coming week
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1850 definitely still opening next weekend:

Quote:
Courchevel Opening Saturday 6 December
Some rumours of delayed opening of Courchevel are flying about but they are NOT true. Jean-Pierre Lallane, Commercial Director of the S3V Lift Company confirmed to us that they still expect to open on Saturday 6 December as planned. With colder weather forecast next week, the snow making capacity they have and a good chance of some snow anyway there is no talk of delay.

http://www.latania.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

1850 definitely still opening next weekend:

Mayor Vaughn: “Amity as you know, means friendship." rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dr Rock, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is the French version of the Courchevel announcement

Bonjour,
nous souhaitons démentir certaines discussions locales qui voudraient que la station ait déjà décidé de ne pas ouvrir le 6 décembre prochain.
A ce jour, nous pensons toujours ouvrir à cette date. Une fenêtre de froid étant prévue à partir de mercredi, nous restons optimistes. La météo étant d'humeur changeante, nous en saurons plus en début de semaine prochaine. Soyez certains que l'ensemble des employés de la S3V est prêt, dans tous les cas, à optimiser le moindre signe favorable du ciel pour permettre l'ouverture tant attendue.

They are certainly NOT saying they will definitely open, but rather that no decision has been taken yet, and that they remain optimistic.

Meanwhile, temperatures remain very high (15 degrees here at 700m at the moment), and the snow continues to melt
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks colder this week 7cm expected tonight? Fingers crossed it stays?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Google translate.

hello,
we want to deny some local discussions would be station already decided not to open on 6 December.
To date , we believe still open on that date. A cold window is scheduled from Wednesday , we remain optimistic. The weather is moody, we know more early next week. Be certain that all employees S3V is ready, in all cases , to optimize the slightest sign from heaven favorable to allow long-awaited opening .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like it might snow from tonight and next week. Temps dropping off.
snow report
Cams look like the weather is turning slightly. Anyone on here in VT now?
snow report
At least the machines can be run now, well from Wednesday on and get a base in place.
snow report
It is getting colder, and wetter, and I think it's snowing in ValTho at the moment.

But I'd be surprised if Méribel and Courchevel managed anything more than an extremely limited opening at the weekend, if that. Still, fingers crossed ....
ski holidays
Yeah, it looks like it is snowing currently at the moment plus there's 26cm forecast between Wed-Fri, which should top it up nicely as it's starting to look a bit grubby in places at resort level.

Meribel and Courcheval might get around 10cm later this week..
snow conditions
At this rate I won't want to take my new skis with me...I'd rather go rock-hopping on rentals!
ski holidays
Courchevel Opening "Beginning of Next Week" [UPDATE 1 DEC 2014 @ 13:00]

With colder temperature and some snow forecast next weekend we've just been notified by S3V that "To optimise the quality of the skiing Courchevel will change the date of the opening - it is now expected at the beginning of next week".
snow conditions
Lets all do a snow dance
latest report
Going to Val Thoren on Saturday, just had an email from tour company to say we will have a refund on our three valleys lift pass as it has been confirmed that the links from Val Thoren to Meribel etc will not be open !!
snow report
Netballdi wrote:
Going to Val Thoren on Saturday, just had an email from tour company to say we will have a refund on our three valleys lift pass as it has been confirmed that the links from Val Thoren to Meribel etc will not be open !!

Presumably, you'll just get back the 3vs element of the ski pass? I am going out next Monday and usually go about this time. My memory, and I have to admit that one year tends to blur into the next is that it is quite common for the meribel links to only open up around Xmas week time. The problem is that plein sud is exposed to the sun and will probably be mostly brown at the moment.

I imagine that boismint runs are actually below the snow line at the moment.

The val thorens website will tell you what is open. The few cms of snow currently forecast will probably just help keep open what they have at the moment and I wouldn't expect too much more to be open next week.

They will make a desperate effort to get everything open for xmas week.
latest report
Looks like there's more snow on Mt.Kenya right now than at VT. How wrong Sir Bob was! 27 days of webcam watching to follow.
ski holidays
75 days for us, though a boys trip is in the offing once the white stuff starts falling with some vigour.
latest report
Yes just the Three Valleys element. £49 i believe. Have been this week before and had plenty of snow. Just the luck of the draw. Will just have to go again after xmas when there's more snow Smile
ski holidays
Incidentally just received email from courchevel tourist office.....

Copy and paste.

a few days to wait before the opening of the ski resort on Saturady 6th December!
While waiting for this event, discover here some images of the Verdons-Saulire pre-opening of last Saturday. Courchevel and ski lovers enjoyed an exceptionnal skiing day, for free, in a friendly atmosphere!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Patch, I heard that tues or weds that Meribel will be making the call as to opening and they are hoping to have a link open to VT from Mottaret. Any other rumours ??
ski holidays
I'm currently in VT and although the village pistes are rather brown once you get just a little higher the snow quality is good, pistes are desserted and there is was even powder today up on the Glacier De Peclet today. I'd say maybe 30%-40% of VT area open, a lot of the closed runs need a lot more snow but if anyone has an imminent trip don't panic!
snow report
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, Reassuring to hear, I am coming out on s Sat and it looks reasonable in VT but the rest of the 3V's pretty grim...
snow report
I'm in Courchevel from Saturday too and hoping NewGen have a Plan B for where to ski. Should mean we get plenty of time to work on the theory!

Meribel-Mottaret is apparently now opening on the 13th:
ski holidays
Hi Patch. is there any more snow ? The webcams I looked at for Meribel looked rather green. Thanks.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@Patch, I heard that tues or weds that Meribel will be making the call as to opening and they are hoping to have a link open to VT from Mottaret. Any other rumours ??

Lot's of rumours, mostly around how Méribel will not open this weekend. Although there is a significant temperature drop due around 5th December, along with some precipitation, I can't imaging this being enough to open - several days of low temperature is needed so that they can run the cannons. The picture over the last few days is further complicated, as there has been some significant temperature inversion (It fell 8 degrees on Saturday between Megeve and the valley floor, for example). My best guess at the moment is that Méribel and Courch will get some snow over the next 10 days, fire up the cannons, and open over the weekend of 13th, while ValTho will have a top-up over the coming days

When are you due out here?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-12-14 11:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, No, cloudy, and falling temperatures, but not a lot of snow yet ... see above for more thoughts
snow report
Patch wrote:
open over the weekend of 13th

I hope so as I'm arriving on the 14th! I'm sure they'll have some stuff open by then, fingers crossed.
snow conditions
We are out in 3V from 20th - does anyone know what condition the Courchevel couloirs are in at the moment? The Saulire webcam shows a fair amount of snow at that altitude, but you can't really see the coilours themselves.
ski holidays
@boardiac, When Courchevel had a very limited, two lift opening, ten days ago, they were actually in OK condition, though thin cover was hiding a lot of rocks. But there has been no significant snow since then.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Patch wrote:
open over the weekend of 13th

I hope so as I'm arriving on the 14th! I'm sure they'll have some stuff open by then, fingers crossed.

Be cool HoneyBunny, be cool
ski holidays
Quote:

there has been no significant snow since then.

and very high temperatures, unfortunately, which has seen a lot of melt even at quite high altitude.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy