Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
Just back down and we just skied in our little spots, seems somewhat bizarre that we only use the same two or three lifts Puzzled

But light is so flat it's better to ski in the trees.

And we are still finding nice stashes and the OH feels much more confident in skiing versions of the same line.

As for snow, must have had all of a 10cm today at times was looking quite promising and that looks like that could be it for a week or so rolling eyes

Pistes all very good and soft snow, but this time next week might well be reporting a different story. Anyway will be good to see the sun and go further afield.

La Grave been shut all day, 70kmh winds.

Couple of pics.

This is the link to the Cam - can most still see it ?
http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:

This is the link to the Cam - can most still see it ?
http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Should it be here where I have circled?

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Spike107, it should be above the SnowForecast plugin and below these words

If the Cam is not working then please let us know via text +44

Trouble is I can't see it over my network as my router will not allow it, though I can see it working by going direct to it.

I've just asked on FaceBook and two guys have come straight back and can see it ??

Little animated GIF from earlier - do like the way Google put these together Cool

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know I'm dual posting but as this region is close to Serre and soooooooooooooooo much snow!!

Did say to the OH two days ago looking at the charts that the phenomenon that is known as "Le Retour d'Est" could well happen, though she just thought I was talking the usual bollox (and so did I) rolling eyes

Last year we were touring in the Queyras when the same weather pattern occurred.

And it's happened again which is great news as that means that's where we'll probably be touring week after next and may well do a road trip down there next week Cool

You don't often see this much snow sitting on a post
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Didn't bother going up today, though really should have because that's going to be the last quiet day for a while, and with decent snow rolling eyes

Opted to go down into Briancon and see what the local CAF is planning to do on Sunday, then on to Alpimat (great shop) and then down to Carrefour, well that was the plan!

Load of cars on the road, parked up bottom of Prorel lift and took a look at the notice board in the CAF then on to Alpimat, which was in the process of shutting for lunch at 11:55 (only in France on a very busy Sat with loads of tourists arriving).

Then down to Carrefour and was mildly shocked by the number of Eastern European coaches there. Did think couldn't possibly be that bad in there, so grabbed my trolley and was back out again in a couple of minutes, it was mobbed in there!

Drove back up past Giant and similar story with loads of coaches so passed on that and went in to dear old Aldi, which is a blessing as it is always so empty and if busy they are quick on the checkouts.

So that was my exciting day, with a nice dog walk in the afternoon.

So plan is to be up early and go down to Briancon and rendevous at the CAF, then if it's "on" drive round to Val des Pres in Val Claree / Nevache and tour up to the Bois de Granon, which is a new one on me and a tour I was thinking about doing with a mate next week.

Avalanche last Fri just above the Rif Blanc tunnel down from the Lautaret and that goes to show how bad it still is, as that's quite a safe area, though I don't know exactly where the slide occurred, though you do get slides in the Spring up there in the afternoon.

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/02/06/deux-skieurs-indemnes-et-un-blesse-dans-une-avalanche
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, it was LUSH this morning.

Nice temp, sunny, no wind. Lovely empty pisted pistes and you could actually see things, which was nice.

Planned to have a quick blast around some pistes as only had a little time and no avi kit. Got tempted by the eychauda drag, two runs down the blacks off to the right (as look up loft) in soft but tracked snow.

Went up again and followed the ridge all the way along to where Isolee drops down and I must have only been the second or third person down that. Lovely perfect snow, did not feel at all like a marked black should feel! Couldn't believe I was within the piste markers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very windy today here in Serre and looks like all the fresh snow is getting trashed in the high winds.

But welcome sunshine for the restaurants, though I suppose the skill if sitting outside was to keep your food on the plate rather than being blown away.

Also as to be expected very busy in resort now.

I ended up having a rather interesting day, I turned up early in Briancon to find out that the CAF ski tour was cancelled due to no takers (I didn't sign up), so I went on up there anyway, and hooked up with a local who tore my legs off, but was well worth it with some of the best tree skiing ever!

Picture and full story here

Maybe Italy tomorrow
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italy's poo-poo at the moment, I wouldn't bother Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kat.ryb, the black runs are mainly 'brute de neige' , marked but not pisted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, I've just never been on one so quiet with untracked snow, it was so nice. My only other exp of unpisted blacks is of them being icy mogul fields Very Happy I think its great they leave so many natural like that.

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101844428135009&l=5673a638c[/img]

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101845963667789&l=6598536bef[/img]
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, the embedding hasn't worked.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101844428135009&l=5673a638c

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101845963667789&l=6598536bef
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Picture and full story here

Just read the report, sounded like a great day out and picture looked fantastic.

Maybe we can meet up for a bit of a ski next year D I plan of doing the same course at SC again for a fourth time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So how to avoid the Serre holiday hordes, head to Via Lattea.

Park up at the Gondola up from Cesana that goes up to Sansicario

Try and then contend with all the people on the piste

Finding it too busy then head off into the trees to try to bury yourself*

And have your mate nearly rupture his spleen laughing

*my excuse was that I was charging the soft cut up snow in the trees on my piste skis rolling eyes

And Kat.ryb that's why I asked you when you were finishing as I thought we might ski on Sat, but the rugby on Fri night got in the way Smile

And on yet another sad note, three ski tourers caught in an avalanche today in Cervieres with one dead. And front page of Le Dauphine had two dead from avalanches in the Alp Sud yesterday I think. Will read it later as could not find it on the web site.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems to be like a good idea to go there Happy I have a little question. If you have a six day serre che pass you apparently have the right for 1 day in the via lattea. Do you then just go to that parking at Cesana and get a daypass there or is it more complex than that? And what about Montgenevre?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam,
Yes, very sad to read of yet another avalanche death. One of three brothers from Briancon touring from Laus to the Col de Chaude Maison - a popular route. RIP.
snow report
@bart_bdv, depends what you want to do? If it's over the next three weeks then Montgenevre will be busy as well, whilst Italy will be quieter.

Better to lunch etc in Italy as so much cheaper.

Driving to Cesana is a good move if you want to ski that part of the Via Lattea.

Just turn up at that gondola and exchange you voucher.
ski holidays
Do you expect it to be busier next week in Serre than new year say?
snow report
@RetroBod, New Year is the busiest week of the year according to the Tourist Office.
snow conditions
I've heard that it's busy already up on the hill and looking at various car parks I can understand, but next week is when it's meant to be even busier.

But a good barometer as it were is that over New Year for a few days we see tail backs in the valley going from Chantermerle to way past us and the Ice racing circuit and we did not see those in Feb last year.

We've been away from the crowds again, this time in a French resort that is very special.

I'll post pics and story later as have some tedious work emails to deal with Sad
snow report
Thanks both. The reason I ask is that we came over at New Year last year and was trying to gauge how much queuing we were in for.

As an aside I smile each time you compare and comment on the differing snowfalls between you and just over the hill into Italy. It was the subject of some poor information from our rep when we swapped knee deep powder in Chantermerle for ankle deep snowfall in Montgenevrre. We will be more careful this year!!
snow report
We are in Montgenevre next week, were thinking of exercising our Montgenevere passes over in Serre Chevalier.

Are you saying that we are better off in the rest of the Milky Way ??
snow report
@bruisedskier, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And today we continued our strategy of avoiding the crowds with a road trip down to the Queyras.

Because of the avalanche risk (4 out of 5) we did not do any of the routes we did last year, and after the dramatic snow falls of last Thurs and Fri many people must have been up there at the weekend (Marseilles 3hrs, Gap 1hr) as it was well tracked out as it is very safe inter-piste-off-piste.

Snow was heavy off piste and was almost spring snow by mid afternoon in places.

Day lift pass is only €26 and end of the holiday period from March 14th to April 6th they will be reducing lift passes by 50%.

The Queyras is made up of about six to eight resorts and is ideal for families with young kids and even better if parents are into ski touring / off piste as options are pleantiful.

See this thread from last season

So if you're independently minded and maybe a tad adventurous it's well worth considering as an option depending on snow cover etc.

The whole area is stunningly beautiful and boasts the highest village / commune in Europe, St Veran, and hardly a modern building in sight.

And as you can see was so busy, but from Saturday for the next three weeks we were told it's manic with people from Marseilles as well as Paris!

snow conditions
@Weathercam, what's the cost of a taxi Mongenevre to the Casana Gondola (heard it's quicker than going by lift )??
ski holidays
@bruisedskier, no idea but there is a bus from Montgenevre to Oulx which should stop at Cesana. Then you'll have a ten min hike to gondola. Best to ask in tourist office as high season they increase number of buses etc etc
ski holidays
Quote:

and Kat.ryb that's why I asked you when you were finishing as I thought we might ski on Sat, but the rugby on Fri night got in the way

Right, lets plan ahead to next year then snowHead
snow conditions
Having a few tech issues with the Cam at the moment, so I've set up the static cam which I think is working though at home I can't see it on the internet only over my LAN.

Didn't go out yesterday due to volume of work and tech stuff, but it was so warm, we have the doors open.

Snow is rapidly disappearing on South facing slopes in the sunshine.

Forecasts keep changing for the weekend, and we should see some snow, but as to how much is anyone's guess.

I'm a bit jaded on that front now as we've not done too well when everywhere else has scored and that could well happen again this weekend.

Mate staying with us has to go to Grenoble on Sunday to pick his son up so that could be an interesting trip, and then it's a major "wait and see" as to where we actually go next week with Christian (guide) and same mate has some Yanks who he was with in the Antarctic and they are with another guide I know well so emails are flying around as to where we might all end up Puzzled

But in the mountains, how to make God laugh?

Make a plan

Up the hill now to meet up hoping that the hordes are having lunch otherwise I'll be straight back down!
snow report
Was a good couple of hours up the hill yesterday. It's all about timing as to know where and when to go from around 11:45 to 15:00 as ski schools start coming down for lunch around 11:45 and then start the trip back up around 14:00.

Though it is not as busy as Xmas / New Year that's the joy for people out next week!

Hopefully major technical issues are over and would be grateful if you could test the cam as I can't see it on the page link over the internet only across my internal network, though was on the tech forum last night and the guy said he could see it ok.

I've zoomed the cam in far more and the driveway preset shows the cars and my van in the car park below so a good gauge to see how much snow we might get this weekend ?

I've also kept the static cam on a second page which is zoomed back so you can see the sky etc

So how much snow will we get this weekend??

La Grave looks like it's going to get bonkers amounts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
It's working on google browser Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoiding the hordes strategy continues

Took the Mrs, my mate and Les Rando Chiens on the same tour I did on Sunday.

I was a little concerned at what would have happened to all the lovely pow in the trees as going up there was a lot of crust / heavy sun affected snow.

But as soon as we headed up through the woods on the North facing slope so the snow was pretty cold and soft, where the sun had been at it and was not quite North facing there was a crust so on the descent would be critical to find the right aspect.

And we were not disappointed.

Was a much more leisurely ascent than last Sunday when I had my legs torn off by Yve, and we had nice stops too!

Some photos of the day.

Track log here.

Weather now starting to close in from the looks of things. Think my mate is going to go over the Col tomorrow and stay with friends who are staying in La Grave, then he can get down to Grenoble on Sunday to pick his son up, but then what ??

Watch this space rolling eyes
snow report
I see its snowing!!
ski holidays
Not too sure if it's worth going up as not snowing that heavily Sad

Just back from doing the "shop" in Briancon and fair amount of traffic coming down the valley and quite a few cars with chains on, should imagine another couple of hours mayhem will kick in.
snow report
About 10-15cm fresh at around 2200, we didn't go high as viz was dire but just stuck to the trees and had some nice lines.

Back home all the snow is melting.

Getting a bit fecked off with all these forecasts that have failed to materialise - hopefully I'll be eating my words tomorrow.

Oh and if you don't know early opening of some lifts and on the website is mention of a First Tracks package but not available to seasonaires from the looks of things rolling eyes
Du 7 février au 6 mars 2015 c’est le XXL du matin : ouverture anticipée du Domaine Skiable dès 8h30 tous les jours

Monêtier : télésièges Bachas & Cibouit
Villeneuve : télésièges Casse du Bœuf & Forêt
Chantemerle : télécabine Ratier & télésiège Combes
Briançon : télécabine Prorel 1er et 2ème tronçons
ski holidays
Any thoughts on what the journey from Turin via Claviere/ Montgenevre and onto Briancon will be like tomorrow afternoon?A friend of mine will be en route around then.
snow report
@hedley, should be OK, it is usually kept reasonably clear. This is the website for the road conditions. https://www.inforoute05.fr/wir3/circulation_en.html
ski holidays
Coming down more steadily now, though still not a lot of accumulation, I'm hoping that there's far more up top.

@hedley, depends on how your friend is travelling, tour op bus, private car and obviously how much snow will fall and at what altitude.

If it's snowing as low as Susa then could be a long drive up from Oulx, but different forecasts are predicting varying amounts for tomorrow, though as @Hells Bells, advises the Col de Montgenevre is usually open but all it takes is one stupid Belgian in a black Audi to feck things up rolling eyes

As I've mentioned my mate is picking his son up in Grenoble tomorrow afternoon, and went over the Lautaret this morning early to ski La Grave with friends and will stay there tonight in the Edelweiss and have a rugby fest, then tomorrow he can get down to Grenoble.

But as for getting back, that's going to be a tough call, think he'll go Frejus and go Montgenevre rather than chance Lautaret, but will probably encounter Belgians in black Audis.

Then Monday we head off to Cuneo and the Val Maira for the week and lots of snow forecast for Monday!
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, @Weathercam, thanks for the replies. I think they are on a transfer bus and I know the company are local,based in Briancon so Belgian Audis aside I guess they should be ok:)

Snow should set them up for a pleasant week though.

Nothing beats arriving in resort to a winter wonderland wink
ski holidays
Well I 'm a Belgian not driving a black audi but a grey BMW and i 'll be in serre in march, so watch out guys ! Happy
latest report
Black Audi / Grey BMW probably not too much in it. Just hope I'm not out on the push bike by then rolling eyes
21.45 local time and cars still streaming down the valley in batches. Must be Belgians with chains on driving at 15kph Laughing
ski holidays
So again the forecasts failed to deliver, in the valley we must have had all of 10cm but higher up was probably in the region of 20cm and at times I found a lot more than that!

So up even earlier than usual to grab the 08:30 Casse du Boueff chair (as they open some lifts early during the holidays) and we failed in that four Swedes were ahead of us in the queue Smile

However what was great that there must have been all of twenty or so people and what was obvious was that none of them knew the area, so we did a few laps of La Foret chair getting the powder at the top and then totally empty groomed pistes back down to Aravet.

After that we then went over and had the Cote Chevalier bowl to ourselves for another couple of laps coming back up on the Cote Chevalier chair that no one was using as they were all opting for Clot Gauthier instead.

Had a chat with a couple of pisteurs, one who was commenting on my skis, which are the local ski, White Doctors. We then talked about Avi risk on the ridge off Eychauda and other stuff and how bad it's been this year with the number of fatalities etc

After another sweet descent of the bowl we did Clot Gauthier with some routes I know and found some nice lines (but was depressing as everywhere was getting tracked out so quickly), then once at the bottom saw that they had opened up Eychauda Evil or Very Mad

So was back up the Clot Gauthier and have to say it was not that busy for the chair as it moves so quickly, the Eychauda drag was a different story, and considering how much off piste is accessible off it, I'd estimate that only 15% of people looked like they might have any security kit.

To be fair they would not have opened it if the risk was acute, but bearing in mind I was only having a chat with the pisteurs around an hour earlier when I took the photo below you can see how logic would dictate that maybe one should take precautions, or at least only let those that have the right gear use the lift Cool

We did ski along the ridge almost to the end and scored a beautiful line down. Then just above the cliffs towards the bottom I came across one ESF group doing it with not one back pack in sight!

Looking across to the Crete de Serre Chevalier with the Rocher De I'Enfer bowl in the foreground

Dropping down in to the bowl

And found myself in some nice trees and thought this deserved a snap.

So came back down around 11:30 and by Noon it clouded over with some more light snow forecast.

Not a bad morning considering it's the peak holiday week.

Now going to get my gear together for where we're off to tomorrow, and this is where we're staying Cool
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I'd have been pretty annoyed if I hadn't been allowed up the Eychauda drag due to lack of avy gear. There are several pistes down from there which is where we were heading. A lot of the people we saw on the lift were also heading for the pistes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy