Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
Ahhh, Serre Ratier....scene of one of my most embarrassing and epic full yard sale falls. Just up from all the resto/bars with their bloody terrace on-lookers and lines of deck-chair "experts" no doubt all pissing themselves with laughter. Well, I probably would have done Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A "dusting" in the valley to wake up to this morning.

And there are patches of blue sky , so viz might not be so much of an issue today.

Think I'm working most of the morning, subject to the conference call in ten mins Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from a brilliant day's skiing. We got fresh tracks on a couple of runs above Monetier then played on the unpisted blacks up there. Then over to above Villeneuve for lunch before a run down the pretty icy marteau then up for a quick play on the blacks off the eychauda drag. All followed by a nice blast back to Monetier. Last day tomorrow Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666, were you not tempted to ski along the ridge to the left of the Eychauda drag and then drop down after around 400m ?

Been at it all day working (though can't complain) and weather looking good for touring tomorrow hopefully.

OH had a good ski with the "client" and I can hear zzzz's coming from his room Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:
@sugarmoma666, were you not tempted to ski along the ridge to the left of the Eychauda drag and then drop down after around 400m ?

Do you mean left at the top of the drag and then down where Isolee would be if it was open? We've never really done off piste so aren't venturing far off the marked pistes. The area under the Vallons lift was just too tempting earlier but I bottled it when I thought I might get stuck the wrong side of one of the gullies and went back to the piste. I guess it might have been a good week to get some off piste instruction but too late now. Any suggestions on where to go tomorrow?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sugarmoma666, just use these conditions to ski just off the piste in the tracked soft snow, you will not find untracked but it's skiing the tracked is great prep for off piste ventures.

The area off the Vallons is now safe and you'll be ok playing in that as long as you do not venture to far away from the piste.

Here's hoping we wake up to bright clear skies.

Have a good one and remember speed is your friend when skiing off the piste!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom Doc,
Quote:

Our guide for the wk, Lionel Coutton-Jean

Ah, we had Lionel last year! He was great.

Lovely photos and reports @Weathercam] and @Hells Bells, keep em coming.

T-9 daty till snowboarding for me Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decision time is approaching. Should I be persuaded to visit Serre Che in Feb half term? Quite happy to piste ski but would be interested to hear what the pistes are like from Serre Ratier down?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RetroBod, runs down from Serre Ratier not too bad and after next week (hopefully) http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm normal service will be resumed Cool

Lovely sunny start to the day, we're off up towards the Galibier sector with les chiens and will try to produce a little ski rando dogs movie Little Angel

Client is off skiing on his tod having spent all last night watching Daren Turner's YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia well worth a peruse.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite hairy yesterday.............

As we climbed up did think it was not going to be great for the descent with a nasty crust at times. Further up snow pack looked much better and very promising for the descent as we tracked up much better powder.

The peak in the background is where the ski tourer was killed on New Years eve, you can see some debris towards the bottom, though I was told it was higher up.

Once in descent mode was obvious from the first couple of turns that it was not going to be that easy, and have to admit to going into the back seat quite often rolling eyes

So here's the vid I produced of yesterday, as was so cold GoPro battery did not hold out that long Sad

http://youtube.com/v/1znkg0CcPEQ

Client reported great piste skiing and enjoyed himself over on the empty slopes in Monetier.

Today looks very windy up top.

Excitement over the forecast for back end of next week, but as ever being glass half empty, freezing levels not at all good!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oooooohhh forecast freezing levels are looking much better for next week, though still a lot can change..............

Snow coming in earlier but think we'll be in the trees looking at those wind speeds!

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fab day on the pistes off Clot Gauthier and else where which were in fabulous condition helped by some soft wind blown, though was blowing a gale at the top.

Lovin the White Doctor FT8's as a great all round piste ski.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And not good news, an area that many of the Snowheads that were on the Off Piste bash last year will know

http://www.stylealtitude.com/newsandblog/2015/01/24/fatal-avalanche-in-puy-st-vincent/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We heard about this yesterday from the guy in the wine shop next to Géant, sad news.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, are you still out next week?
latest report
Yes we are. Cacciatore and his fancy are here too.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, fancy ??????
ski holidays
sorry, Fiancée (Schuss in Boots), bloody predictive text.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I think you'll find 'Fancy' is in fact the correct term on this occasion.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, a sad couple of days - just seen on pistehors 6 died in Avalanche south of briancon.
Worst accident for a number of years.
ski holidays
Have just come back and picked that up - they were member of the local CAF club in Guilliestre - tragic, and there's been a slide according to the Dauphine in Serre chevalier this afternoon in the Clot Gauthier sector but hopefully no one was caught http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/01/25/serre-chevalier-une-avalanche-vient-de-se-declench
snow report
And trying to be upbeat...........

This morning finally after all these years went down to the Circuit de Glace to watch the racing and it was really good.

Managed luckily to time it well to see one of the top races which featured some more powerful cars than the more usual Daf's and Fiats.

Afterwards took the "client" out for one last ski and no where near as pleasant as yesterday, and Luc Alphond very icy down to the station resulting in quite a few loosing it, sliding down leaving ski's further up the hill.

And on the way back down Casse du Boeuff one little girl stacked it and slid nigh on 150m down. OH stopped to pick up her ski and poles and then had issues herself trying to ski back down with that kit!
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@sugarmoma666, just use these conditions to ski just off the piste in the tracked soft snow, you will not find untracked but it's skiing the tracked is great prep for off piste ventures.

The area off the Vallons is now safe and you'll be ok playing in that as long as you do not venture to far away from the piste.

Here's hoping we wake up to bright clear skies.

Have a good one and remember speed is your friend when skiing off the piste!

I really enjoyed that Serre Chevalier leave so many runs unpisted, and in most (but not all cases) mark that on the piste map. The cibout area above Monetier was great practice, since they've more marked out an area than a piste as such.

When we went up the Eychauda drag on Friday (final afternoon), we were delighted to find the Isolee run had opened. The run along the top of the ridge is spectacular, although a bit hard work if you didn't get up enough speed to get up the first big uphill section Embarassed. It was a bit of a surprise, though, when we got to the steep bit and that wasn't pisted. It's not marked as one of the "Brut de Neige" areas and if we'd realised we might not have taken one of our group who was a bit nervous and took a while to get down. In fairness, though, I thought it was actually easier skiing than caban de berger had been a few minutes earlier, but I think the initial steep pitch freaked him a bit.

I'm now feeling quite hooked on skiing in powder, which up until about a year ago I had no idea how to handle.

I hope others heading out to Serre Chevalier this season have as good conditions as us, and that the snow stabilizes a bit.
snow conditions
Arrived yesterday and headed up the Prorel. At 9.30 the queue was long...made so by the slowness of the Prorel lift. Never seen it this slow. When we got to the top we headed for the Serre Blanc drag. Mega queue!!! After taking the new chair lift and looping down to the intermediate station of the Prorel a couple of times, the queue for the drag was no shorter. Eventually we got over and did various runs. We didn't go as far as Monetier. Stopped at the Clot Gauthier lift and the Eychauda drag. Isolee wasn't open and we headed right to where an avalanche had apparently spontaneously discharged. Probing had been going on but it looks like no one was caught TG. Didn't look like a dangerous slope. Really unpredictable at the moment it seems.

Overall the amount of snow is still below what is needed. Some great conditions on piste but also quite icy in places. Several serious looking accidents on piste. Both of us had a taste of the snow at various times!!!

Montgenevre looked to have more snow as we drove past it yesterday. Might go in that direction tomorrow.

Avalanche risk still 3 today. Touring conditions risky. Time to play it safe.

Keeping on eye on the predicted snow fall for later in the week. Given that we are leaving on Sat we may have to jump ship a day early to avoid the possibility of the road down from Montgenevre into Italy being closed for avalanche risk.
latest report
Quote:

Cacciatore and his fancy are here too.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I am looking forward to meeting them in Arabba.
latest report
Good pootling day above Monetier, snow excellent, but occasional wind-blown icy patches and some fresh stuff would not be sneezed at. It was damn cold, and once the sun went behind the mountains, we went back to the warmth of Pré Chabert and hot chocolates. Heading over this morning to meet up with the guys and perhaps ski Clot Gauthier sector but we'll see how things pan out once we meet up.
ski holidays
T-5 days till my SC trip - following with interest both on-piste but more importantly off-piste conditions. snowHead
Have a nice time out there everyone!
ski holidays
@kat.ryb, I'm having a couple of days off skiing (as have some work to catch up on), plus I'm not going off piste touring etc until things settle down.

Conditions we encountered on Friday was a wake call for me, and then the news of the tragic events of Thurs and the weekend, as well as the slide here sort of made that decision final, we can wait.

We're all hoping that we get the much needed snow all the way down to the valley. Could well be the trees Thurs and Fri as could well be windy, just hope the lottery that is this forecast delivers plentifully here.

Ciao
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, it was Montgenevre today as planned.

Verdict: not great. The cold (brass monkeys) and the poor viz did not create a positive mood to begin. But the biggest issue was again the lack of snow. Lots of bare patches and small plants, trees etc showing through. The skiing was also quite restricted with many runs closed. The south side (where the Serre Thibaud lift goes) essentially had 1.5 runs open...the blue Pharo and the blue from TS Chalvet that merges with Pharo. Oh, and the green that meanders down somewhere following a road. Very disappointing as that south side can be good fun.

Anyhow, for the record, I was wrong about the quantity of snow...Montgenevre is no better than Serre Che.

Tomorrow, who knows. Maybe take out the snow shoes and go for a little walk. Maybe a wee tour is the risk level improves. 17 dead in the French Alps since the start of Winter. Nine of them in the Haute Alpes region.

Gloom descends.
ski holidays
@Kevin Byrne, bloody hell, you'll be accused of being glass half empty, a scenario we can remedy tomorrow pm Laughing
latest report
Is Aiguilette still closed due to lack of snow? Hopefully this week's dose of white stuff should help if that's the case?
latest report
@RetroBod, It was closed yesterday but don't know if that was due to a lack of snow - don't think so. As you know there are two (lovely) red runs down to the Aiguillette lift. My guess is that they only open that during busy times. Otherwise very few people would use it and two people would have to be employed. Economics...
ski holidays
Shh don't tell everyone. 2 of my favourite runs!! Quiet too.
snow report
It is usually open during our January trip.
snow report
B the pistes it's the trees you go over that way for !!

Hopefully winter is finally on its way and may it continue all through Feb Twisted Evil

Though do have the little issue of two trips planned Puzzled

HB and Kevin for them will be a difficult call to make as to when to go back from the looks of the above, though does take a lot for them to close Montgenevre but then snow level looks to be very low and Modane valley could be tough
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Hopefully winter is finally on its way and may it continue all through Feb Twisted Evil

I do hope you're right... the count down is on for us, 4 weeks to go Very Happy
snow report
@Weathercam, we're not heading back to the UK, although we still have to negotiate Montgenevre as we are heading to the Dolomites.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-01-15 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, that could be an interesting journey especially if a repeat of last year !!

Although forecast fro Arabba is not for as much, it's the Pyrenees that's going to get slammed http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cauterets/6day/mid
snow conditions
Let's hope we make it to Arabba, or it could indeed be a interesting week.
ski holidays
Haven't even stuck my nose out of the door today. Think we've both got a dose of mountain lurgy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy