Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowcentre Hemel; Tuesday Earlybird deal

Poster: A snowHead
I see the Hemel Fridge has early opening on Tuesdays with a deal giving 3 hours skiing 7-10am plus complimentary coaching. I work in Watford so I'm thinking about getting a couple of hours in 7-9 then wander into work at 10. Has anyone tried this?

Does it work? If I turn up at 7.00 on the dot in my ski gear will the slope be open, or is it the case that the first employee turns up at 7.03 and the slope opens 20 minutes later? Confused

I'm guessing that the slope will be very quiet early on a Tuesday morning, even in the build up to the ski season. Am I right?

I'm not too bothered about the coaching part of the offer, but hey, it's free! so what does the 'coaching' consist of?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was teaching there yesterday. I arrived at 7.05am and the slope was open with people skiing on it. It was quiet enough for me to work on high speed, long radius turns with my client until about 9.15am when we stopped, but it wasn't empty.

The coaching seems to consist of one (perhaps two?) instructors on the slope who can give you feedback, hints and tips. I think it is up to you how you use it, so if you want something a bit more structured I'm sure the instructor would be happy to oblige (bearing in mind other clients who might also want input), or if you just want a little bit of feedback and then get on with it that's also OK.

They also offer free coffee in the hut at the bottom of the slope.

This was taken at a brief point when there was nobody on the slope

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rob. It looks like I'll be up at sparrow's next week for a bit of pre work skiing. Very Happy

You may not recognise my Snowheads name, but i did a load of one day clinics with you and Scot 3/4 years ago. I lost my enthusiasm for skiing very suddenly about three years ago and disappeared from the ski scene. It didn't help that I had a succession of health problems as well, meaning I became very unfit. I didn't stop skiing entirely, I still went on the annual trip with my ski buddies, but couldn't be bothered with the forums, or with the fridge. Sad

Anyway, I seem to have got my mojo back for this season. I'm working hard on my fitness so the next stage is a couple of visits to the fridge followed by a couple of Inside Out clinics prior to my first ski trip over New Year. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spud9, yes, I know who you are, and delighted that you've got your mojo back Happy Be very pleased so see you back at some of our clinics Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This looks spectacular. I might try this a couple of times as I do a weekly commute from Oxford-London on a Tuesday morning, so may be able to get up early, drive to Hemel, get a couple or hours in and get the train to London. Will check logistics.

As a slight aside, does anyone know what other times Hemel's Snowcentre is pretty empty? I've noticed the good value weekend evening passes, which suggest they're trying to get people in then, but I'd imagine that would be pretty busy? I'd like to get a few hours at least in to help prepare me and mean I can make the most of the week or two in the alps, mainly want to practice carving and other things that are much easier when the slope is less busy. Plus I hate crowded pistes, when in the mountains I like finding quieter red/blue pistes a little off the beaten track, so I can get up some speed and relax knowing I won't hit someone if I miss or mess up a turn (my biggest fear) or have someone hit me if I turn unexpectedly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, that was fun. Got to the fridge at 6.40. Reception and the changing area were already open. About a dozen of us hit the slope when a drag opened dead on 7.00 am. By 8.00 there were about 50 people skiing and the second drag had opened.The Snow had been groomed overnight, there were no obstacles. Free coffee also appeared at around 8.00. Numbers hadn't really increased any further when I left at 9.00 to go to work, clear runs were always possible. There was one instructor, who spent his time with the the two or three snowploughers on the slope.

Cost was £26 (booked by phone the evening before) and the ticket was valid until 10.00. Good value if you can manage the early start.

I'll probably go back next week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spud9, I'm probably going to a couple of Earlybird sessions next month, so may see you there. snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 15-10-14 9:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Iski, Will let you know which ones I can make
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone know if there are showers at Hemel? Keen on an early morning ski,less keen on being smelly at work afterwards Happy

Thanks!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spud9, Welcome back!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeterGee wrote:
Does anyone know if there are showers at Hemel? Keen on an early morning ski,less keen on being smelly at work afterwards Happy

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they do have A shower, never used it myself so cant say how good it is.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
isn't there one next to the toilets ?

never used it myself either.

I'm hoping to get a few hours in on Tuesday next week, will be there at open hopefully to try out my new skis Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While we are on the subject, does anyone know how busy it gets on a Sunday morning 8-10am? I really want to work on my long radius turns but its very difficult when you got 20 nutters flying past trying to get to the bottom on 2 seconds......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisrawles, it's certainly not what I'd class as quiet, even at that time, but it's quieter from 8-9am than it is later in the morning and has the advantage that the snow is freshly groomed if that's important to your work on long radius turns. You will find that there will generally be a couple of groups of children (snowstars and the academy) doing performance skiing, and they both ski at those times, so even though there aren't perhaps as many recreational skiers there's still plenty of people on the slope. Middle of the day during the middle of the week is in my experience the quietest time, though perhaps not so next week as it is half term.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the info. Will check out the webcams over the next few weekends. Looking to go middle of November to get one more session in before Holiday.
snow report
Thanks for the shower info. Will give them a call to double check, but will give it a go. Ta
snow conditions
chrisrawles, I run the academy at Hemel and for the last few weeks we have been carving for the 1st hour or so (not sure about last week as I was away). There will be some space; but it will get busier each week as we approach Christmas.
latest report
If i get up at 6am, i could be there at 7am ski till 9, and then get all the way back to ipswich to start work at 1..... theoretically.
is that mad??? Im so tempted, sats are far too busy haha
snow conditions
Planning on doing the 25th November session Very Happy
snow conditions
said hello to someone with a snowheads sticker on his helmet this morning, turns out not to be a snowhead Wink
snow conditions
I didn't go today, but I was there last week and the week before. Will be there next Tuesday , say hello if you see me. I'll be wearing a grey fleece, a red hat (no helmet) and yellow cheapy French gardening gloves.

@anarchicsaltire, Thanks for the welcome back Very Happy

@Iski, Hope to see you on the slopes. Very Happy
latest report
Went today, no one smacked me on the head Happy nice to get out, but now will now wait for the mountains
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy