Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Swiss plus Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, I did wonder that, but never saw any proper training going on. Just ski schools going through the slalom gates.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Themasterpiece, that may have been all, just reserving it for themselves.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece, its closed off most of the season for racing, ski school slalom etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It does have a lovely gradient for bumps though. Very flattering Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the advice @under a new name, and others
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having been to Les Gets in January the last 3 years and March once I have always had great conditions. Due to a personal issue I had to cancel the family trip to Alpe D'huez but we are now looking at a last minute trip on the 3rd April. What are the conditions like in Morzine and Les Gets around the start of April, the obvious conclusion is to go high but there may be a really good deal in Morzine worth considering (probably because of the late season I suspect). I have skied Val D and Tignes in Mid April and it was great, icy morning, lovely afternoon and a bit of slush in the PM but strangely I really enjoy that on my board and the kids love it to, I know it is not an exact science but is Morzine likely to be done and dusted by then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mheadbee, my BiL is in Morzine ATM. It looks great at the moment. Don't know how long lifts will stay open, mind.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mheadbee, we are in Les Gets and have had a whole week of blue skies and sunshine, last night we had a smattering of new snow, it was foggy too and we had a grotty drive back from SJD after supper,out with friends. It's been cloudy this morning at different levels so good skiing in the trees. Snow fine. The new Cyclamen run off the Rhodos linking up with the Bluett is lovely and a good route home for us. Arnica off the Mouille Aux Chats lift is also fun. Sorry I can't say what it will be like early April bit we usually stay till mid April.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bit of a long shot but if anyone is driving home from Les Gets any time in the next few weeks and has room in their car/roofbox for one possibly two pairs of skis to drop off at a mutually convenient spot along the M2/A2 before the M25 I would be very grateful.

We left skis in the apartment that my friends daughter is staying in while working out there with the expectation that we'd be returning in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately circumstances at work have meant this is no longer possible so need to repatriate the skis. Failing being able to cadge them a lift, any recommendations for an affordable courier service?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just changed the title of this thread to 2016/2017 so that anything useful in here will be available.

It's very hot and sunny still in Les Gets this week after a day of rain on Monday. The lifts finally closed here on Sunday and the village is much quieter now. Various roads are suddenly closed and diversions appear. Still lots of building going and cranes whirring away. The Maroussia hotel in La Turche seems to be having a huge refurb.

We are still swimming in the lake in Les Gets.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds wonderful @Pamski, - one day we will get out in the summer. It's wonderfully warm, if a little muggy in Scotland.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're braver than me Pamski, I put my feet in the lake last week, but it was too cold for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's the swimming like in Lac des Plagnes? Considering hiking up there next weekend and having a swim (if the water's not too cold by then!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, it really is fine when you get in! And then really lovely but I think they have pulled the plug out as the level seems to be going out by the day. We are just back from a day over in the Annecy direction, we walked on the Gliere Plateau, saw the monument to the Resistance members etc before having lunch down by the lake. On return we walked the dog up on Mt Caly before a restorative glass of wine at the Chevrelles, and now another one on our terrace in the hot hot sun looking over to Mt Chery.

My latest find is that I can order, and do Click and Collect from Marks and Sparks so maybe tomorrow we can go down to Meuissy to collect.

I think La 'Outa restaurant in Les Gets is open till this weekend then they are off to Burgundy to do some wine buying. Our neighbours are there last week and said the food was excellent and they thought the prices had been trimmed a bit and there is now a three course menu in the evening for 32 euros, which they much enjoyed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski wrote:
My latest find is that I can order, and do Click and Collect from Marks and Sparks so maybe tomorrow we can go down to Meuissy to collect.
Shocked How does that work please Pamski?
latest report
@shep, look at marksandspencer.fr and on the right hand side of the home page are the delivery options, click on see all options and there is a list of delivery to a store, then Delivery to a
Point Relaise Collection Point, put in your post code and it comes up with a list of a few and the best one for me to pick was in St Jeoire. Hopefully my sheets should be there tomorrow!
ski holidays
New socks WooHoo! Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
Pleased to report that the M&S system has worked, got an e mail on Saturday afternoon to say the parcel had arrived (we did pop down there on Saturday morning just in case and it hadn't then) so we went to St Jeoire this morning and got it.
snow report
accidentally posted first in the snow reports section, so reposting it here:

I didn't notice it last year, but looks like you can now get the resident/owner's PDS season pass online for €738:

http://www.skipass-chatel.com/en/forfait-ski/1-saison-pds-saison-fr-1062-1/?peoplenumber=1&ages%5B1%5D=38&pricecategory=&bookingId=

There is also the 30% discount on the Chatel area season pass (reduces to €398) until the end of the month.
snow report
I am sure it has been covered but rather than spending 6 hours reading the whole thread I will ask again.

How easy is it to get from Morzine to Avoriaz on ski's/boards?
snow report
Either take the Super Morzine bubble up, then a shortish ski, a chair and you are in Avoriaz, or take the Prodains cable car up and you are right in the middle. The free Navette's run along to Prodains and to Ardent.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-09-16 16:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It's pretty flat though, so if you're on a board you'd want to be aware of that and keep your speed up. It's not 'flat' flat, just, a very very gentle slope. A well timed navette up to Prodains or Ardent probably gets you into the action a bit quicker.

I mean, I suppose the top of Super-Morzine et al is Avoriaz, but it's mostly a beginner area and pretty flat, I think?
snow report
@MorganW, well done, and no problem having on both posts. We can get our PDS season passes for around 660 euros, OH just looked it up with 20% off for residents and 10% for being old. We will also be buying season passes for Praz de Lys/Sommand as we really enjoy skiing over there and being where we are in Les Gets its very quick for us to get there.

@driz, it certainly is flattish along at the top of Super Morzine and for boarders Prodains is probably much preferable if wanting to get into Avoriaz quickly.

There has been a lot of work going on around the Brochaux lift out of the Abricotine bowl this summer.
ski holidays
Autumn days... wakes, stretches, looks around...
Any changes to the lifts for the coming season?
latest report
+1 for getting the navettes to either Prodains or Ardent. If going to to Chatel via Avoriaz I'd take the Ardent bubble however if going to the other side, fornets, lac intrets etc I'd take the Prodains lift.

@Pamski - do you know what the work is about at Brochaux, we saw loads going on there on the bikes this summer and lots happening on abrocotine (although think that was just laying new cables etc)
ski holidays
@p20pjd, we also saw all that work and it seemed to us that there was one or maybe two pistes being created and then making them and the mossettes that runs into the bowl come in a bit more safely, not crossing. Sorry that is not a very good explanation! We didn't ski over there at all last season so didn't use the Brochaux lift in its new form. I think at the top a bit of remodelling too.
latest report
My OH nipped over to Les Gets to our chalet yesterday. He drove from GVA and said that the 110 kph limit appears to be in force all the way along the road now, in the hope of cutting pollution no doubt.

He also noticed that on arrival at passport control at the airport there was a line for Others and then the usual one for Swiss, EU but now in addition the Union flag, so the Swiss have Brexited us already.

And a 14 euro four course lunch at the Alpine Tavern in town. He went without the glass of wine and coffee that were included.
ski holidays
The 110kph limit has been in force 01.11 - 31.03 for a few years now - we must be in the 3rd or 4th year? To reduce pollution in the Arve valley.

I think the Passport lines have had Swiss, EU and UK flags for ages.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I bow to your local knowledge. He seemed to think that it had been reintroduced.
We rarely fly into GVA nearly always driving from Calais.
But the lunch was good. On a CD and snowy day having left home at 5 am he would have probably eaten anything.
ski holidays
With the current snow conditions it looks like we are going to be skiing Avoriaz not Les Gets Sad . With no ability to go home for lunch, can anyone recommend inexpensive places to go for lunch around Avoriaz? We will have beginners with us, so that rules out our usual haunts for a cheap but yummy lunch of L'Alpage du Crot on the blue down to Prodains (average adult lunch €13-15) and the self service restaurant at Plaine Dranse (great spag bol €12).
ski holidays
Where would one do apres in Avoriaz? We're there from wednesday, based in Morzine which where we usually go for apres after going down the supermorzine link. I fancy trying Avoriaz for once and use the Prodain lift back down..
Although it just occured to me that while teh lift might close at midnight, the shuttles might stop earlier...
PS: I should add that we enjoy lively après Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wrekingirl wrote:
With the current snow conditions it looks like we are going to be skiing Avoriaz not Les Gets Sad . With no ability to go home for lunch, can anyone recommend inexpensive places to go for lunch around Avoriaz? We will have beginners with us, so that rules out our usual haunts for a cheap but yummy lunch of L'Alpage du Crot on the blue down to Prodains (average adult lunch €13-15) and the self service restaurant at Plaine Dranse (great spag bol €12).

I'd recommend skiing down into the Linderets Bowl and trying the restaurants there. Have generally always been good and the further away from the lifts you go the cheaper they become.
snow conditions
Thanks for responding @no snow in swindon, but sadly they were complete beginners and not up to the blue down into Lindarets. We ended up eating every day in La Poya, just opposite the entrance to Prodains cablecar in Aavoriaz village itself. Lovely staff, good food and most dishes €13-16. Excellent chicken nuggets and chips for €9 for kids (real chicken breast coated in crumbs, not frozen mush deep fried) and the Croque Monsieur was huge so we usually shared it between 2, with shared chips thats €10 a head.
ski holidays
Don't think there is a 2017/18 thread yet.

Work on the new Ranfoilly lift in Les Gets has started with details and some pictures of the work so far on this link http://www.passionportesdusoleil.tk/chantiers/tsd6-ranfoilly/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy