Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Swiss plus Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
@pandora, check the timetables though as the buses all used to stop for lunch
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mjit, Thanks for that. Heading to Morzine in a few weeks and a few of the group are on the darkside so not fans of the flat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fab thanks. I thought the best way might be bus.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mjit, agreed.

Boarders should also avoid the end bit of Abricotine. Good god that burns the thighs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To clarify the run across the top isn't so flat borders will be crying - there's enough of a slope to keep sliding but only JUST enough slope to keep you sliding so boring as hell for everyone. Fine if you're first lift out of Morzine and have all day to ski but if you've had to get from Les Gets/have to get back by 2pm there's better ways to spend your time.

From memory the bus from Les Gets drops you at the roundabout with the garage on and the Prodains bus stop if about 25m up the 'high street' from the roundabout

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 7-01-16 10:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi. I'm going les gets on Saturday. How much is a board service(wax/edge) and which shops are cheapest/best value?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,

We'll be arriving in Morzine next weekend (Sunday 17th) for a week and there will be one non-skier with us. I know the area a little as I spent three days there last February but was thinking where our non-skier could easily travel to (by local bus and/or one lift) to meet us for lunch.

I'm thinking....

- Stay in Morzine if Pleney Runs are open and we can ski down
- Top of Super Morzine lift
- Top of the Pleney Bubble
- Avoriaz via bus and the Prodains lift?
- Ardent (we can ski down to there?) and she could come up the Ardent bubble?
- Bus around to Les Gets

Any all the above options easy? and are there any other options?

Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nyon - she could get the bus to the lift and then meet you at top of the gondola, there's a restaurant or two there.
Super Morzine option is good if there's Sun, such a lovely spot!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think all those would work.

Up Ardent bubble and short walk gets to the goat village restaurants. Up Ardent bubble and a longer walk to Brocheaux restaurants.

Bus to Les Gets and up Mont Chery?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Rois1980, and @DJL,
I hadn't thought of Nyon as didn't venture that was last time. Mont Chery is also a good shout.

Also would the igloo in Aviriaz be accessible from the Prodain lift?
http://www.village-igloo-avoriaz.fr/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@no_snow_in_swindon, according to this from the website you can. The 3s is the new Prodains lift. It says 10 minutes walk.

Situé sur le secteur d’Arare, et plus précisément sur la piste bleue d’Arare, vous nous trouverez à proximité du Half Pipe.

Rejoindre le Village Igloo Avoriaz

Nouveauté cette année : le Village Igloo Avoriaz est accessible pour les piétons ! Depuis le 3S, il vous faudra moins de dix minutes de marche à travers un sentier aménagé spécialement pour les piétons, pour venir nous rejoindre.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL, awesome. Many thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A@no_snow_in_swindon, Top of Pleney bubble and then walk along to the Vaffieu for lunch, the rest of you skiing there.

In Les Gets after getting there by bus go up the red gondola to the Chavannes and there are a few places there to meet. The Croix Blanc is usually good for lunch. You can't book, from memory, all have to turn up together.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In avoriaz, mid March and on my own for the first time, to try and do some serious 9-5 skiing. Was going to go for a last minute deal but wanted to 'enjoy' the pre-ski build up by obsessively watching the snow reports and webcams. wink If anyone is around to show me round or for a drink that would be great.

Just wanted some recommendations for food esp out on the pistes, someone mentioned Lindarets?

Also like areas that have little side hits or varied terrain just to the side of the piste for some little jumps or wall rides. But any piste recommendation welcomed, think I'm going to try the circuit.

Really looking forwards to it already.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bump, Here is the latest NOT THE WEATHER thread for PDS 2015/2016, sanman.
snow report
@Pamski, Thanks. I searched several forums for every one of the words in its title and, nothing. No idea why. Unlike some forums I always found the search facility on here pretty good.

Edit: any chance you could amend the title to include the Swiss bits please?
ski holidays
@sanman, hopefully re-titled thread will work.
snow conditions
brilliant thank you Very Happy was feeling a bit left out haha.
snow report
@Fourstar, what dates are you there?

Lindarets is a bowl between Avoriaz and Chatel with five or six restaurants in it, it is also the bottom of four or five runs, the top of the Ardent gondola and the start point of (I think) four lifts. Lots going on there.

There are good options in the town of Avoriaz itself, opposite the top station of the Prodains cable car there are several, I have heard the burgers in Changabang recommended Smile Dare say others will chime in with specifics.

We like Le Relais in Les Crosets - on the way to the draglift that leads up to the Wall - but you need to book. Might also be a bit odd being in there on your own.

Lots of circuit options for you to try - from Avoriaz itself, two chairlifts (one admittedly rather long) will get you to the top of the Mossettes ridge from where you can descend into Les Crosets. Alternatively go from Lindarets up to Plaine Dranse, over to Chatel, Morgins, Champoussin, Les Crosets, and back down Abricotine (world's longest blue, well it feels like it) to Lindarets again. The other way, you've got Morzine and Les Gets over to the far side of Mont Chery and back. If you are alone, and half competent, either of these is doable in a day, if visibility is good.

For bits off to the side, the runs from Avoriaz down to Lindarets or Ardent through the trees are good - any area below the tree line really.

Have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
Heading to Morzine this weekend myself. Wife, 6 month year old and the built in babysitters (grandparents who are non skiers). Going to have a few days solo skiing, so will venture to Pleney for the first time. We stayed in Montriond this time last year so pretty much exclusively skied Avoriaz & Chatel.

Preferred the tunes at the first bar you come to when you finish in Ardent. Nice laid back house, Buddha bar style. Always nice for a bit of Apres. Anywhere like this on the Pleney/Les Gets side?

Great suggestions for locations on non-skier meet ups.
latest report
I recommend the Aubergade bar near the bottem of Pleney, they often have live music. Also Bec Jaune the microbrewery bar Bec Jaune is nice but a bit more laid back. The main apres bar seems to be at the bottom of the gondola and often has a DJ playing, i can't remember the name. i haven't been there this week as the snow front has been quiet due to lack of snow and sun, but it can be very busy when the weather is nice.
ski holidays
Hi there
Apols if this has been asked before. Could you recommend any child-friendly restaurants for dinner in Morzine (in the village) please? I have two "threenagers" in tow when my friends and I go there in a fortnight. Thanks.
snow report
That's the Tremplin @Evan Roberts, ugggghhh I hate d&b.

I like Haka or Crepu - Kinkerne at Prodains is meant to be good but Happy Hours in Ardent is still the best.

Aubergarde on a Wednesday is good.
ski holidays
Mountaindoc wrote:
Hi there
Apols if this has been asked before. Could you recommend any child-friendly restaurants for dinner in Morzine (in the village) please? I have two "threenagers" in tow when my friends and I go there in a fortnight. Thanks.

I'd recommend The Bec Jaune Brewery. Child friendly, great food and great beer! Smile

http://becjaunebrewery.com/
snow report
I also have a restaurant question please - is there anything comparable to La Grande Ourse's evening experience, i.e. something that needs a bit of an adventure to get there and get home? Our chalet chef night off is Thursday and LGO isn't planning an evening session that Thursday, so I'd like to find something broadly similar. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
@Rois1980, you could look at www.alt1490exclusif.com/EN/ Altitude 1490 Exclusif which is up on the other side from Chery Nord, accessed from L'Ecrenaz. We have only walked up there in both the winter and summer for delicious lunches but I believe you can book for the evening and I think that they do have some sort of transport to take you up the track.
latest report
@Rois1980,

http://mountainmavericks.com/blog/a-mountain-dinner/

Mark's mobile: +33 668266189. I think it's a minimum of 10 people for an evening booking. Don't forget your toboggans! snowHead
latest report
@no_snow_in_swindon, La Flamme (right by the Super-Morzine bubble ticket office) are very good with little ones.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@shep, @no_snow_in_swindon,
Thanks for those suggestions!
latest report
Thanks for suggestions for me too.
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend a great on mountain restaurant in the Chatel area for tomorrow lunch?
ski holidays
@MorganW, we had a very good lunch at the Pierre au Loup in Plaine Dranse. I had the chicken burger which was really rather good. Hadn't been there for years and much improved.

The Tane O'Marmottes nearby also good.

Or if you get as far as Lindarets then the Cremaillere never fails to please.
latest report
@MorganW, yes what kind of thing are you looking for??

I agree with @under a new name Pierre aux Loups is good for pizzas, burgers, salads. Used to take ages last season but was much better recently.

Tane o Marmottes is absolutely excellent for more traditional stuff, plat du jour and their specialty is their menus which come complete with a dessert on the side on a wooden board. It's a bit quirky!

Chez Crepy is the best self service at Plaine Dranse and their restaurant at the back is also excellent for local specialties.

Chez Babeth is great for food but especially for the unique ambiance and entertainment from the lovely Babeth 😉 Especially recommended if you like teddy bears!!

Le Bois Prin is good for being cheaper than the others and more of a quick salad, omelette, steak hache type place. Still really good and good service.

All of those are at Plaine Dranse in the Pre la Joux sector of Chatel.

There is only one place to be avoided in the Pre la Joux area and that is the Passe Montagne between the Cornebois and Combes chairs and close to the drag lift.

In Lindarets we all have our favourites and we love La Terrasse.
latest report
@MorganW, you need to specify what you're looking for. Self-service or restaurant? Savoyarde specialities, French or a chicken burger? Atmosphere or convenience? 2 hours eating and drinking or 30 mins and then back on your skis? Do you mean truly great, or are you just being enthusiastic? wink

For me, for a proper sit down lunch, the restaurant at Chez Crepy is probably the best in Plaine Dranse. Is it great? Hmmm, depends on your standards. The atmosphere in the restaurant is nice. If the plat du jour is on and it's a good one, it can be great. The chocolate mousse is outstanding. The menu skieur (entrecote frites + dessert) is very good value. However, the frites are from the freezer and there's no excuse, in my opinion, for any restaurant that doesn't chip its own potatoes. I just don't understand it, I'm sorry. The same family runs the Haute Bise on the Col de Bassachaux, during the summer, which I think is very, very good.

La Terrasse, can be very good, especially for the plat du jour, the ambience and the hosting, but I would avoid the proprietor's wine advice - corsican and not cheap. You're in France, down the road from Bourgogne and surrounded by some of the best wine regions in the world. Why drink relatively expensive Corsican wine?

Has anyone anything to say about La Ferme des Pistes half way up Linga? I always liked the look of that place but didn't eat there yet.

Beyond comparison, the best and best value, weekday, proper lunch in Chatel on a non-sunny-terrace day is the 15e 3-course menu at Vieux Four - 50m from the bottom of the Super Chatel gondola. Again, this doesn't apply to your Saturday sorry.

In summary - for a proper sit down lunch in Plaine Dranse, book Chez Crepy. If you're a big group (10+), book the big table upstairs.
latest report
shep wrote:
@Rois1980,

http://mountainmavericks.com/blog/a-mountain-dinner/

Mark's mobile: +33 668266189. I think it's a minimum of 10 people for an evening booking. Don't forget your toboggans! snowHead

Maybe i was in a grumpy mood the night I went here but I found the host to be overbearing and a little rude-he really didn't seem to like it when he wasn't the centre of attention!
The food was average, the wine was really bad.
The location and idea behind it was really good - perhaps worth a go ,as it may have been me but I wouldn't go back!
ski holidays
snoozeboy wrote:

Has anyone anything to say about La Ferme des Pistes half way up Linga? I always liked the look of that place but didn't eat there yet.

No but I hear good things, you want to go sometime?

Oh and I drink the Corsican rose on a sunny day in la Terrasse !!
snow report
sarah wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

No but I hear good things, you want to go sometime?

Best offer I've had for a long while. wink
snow conditions
@snoozeboy, Laughing

I've sent someone to do a reccy!
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
@snoozeboy, Laughing

I've sent someone to do a reccy!

I hope they know their chicken burger from their tartiflette.
ski holidays
We have just enjoyed lunch, tartiflette and salad for him, salade chevre chaud for me, at the Chevrelle on Mt Caly. We drove up as far as the road has been cleared and then walked on, did it yesterday to walk the dog, and when I suggested a bowl of soup for lunch at home OH said he rather fancied lunch up there, so off we went. Tipping down with snow and so quiet and beautiful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy