Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The loss of another Good Friend - Andreas Fransson

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday Andreas Franson and JP Auclair were killed climbing to ski in Patagonia

Details so far are sketchy (some of my friends here in Cham were invlved in orgonising the rescue and are still very shake so I'm only getting this 3rd hand)

They were climbing a couloir, nearing the top something moved above them, the coiulir avalanched all the way to the glacier below.

The nearest physical help was their filmers, but they were on peaks the opposite side aof the valley - the rescue chopper had 2 hours to fly before beggining it's search. AFAIK thier boddies were finaly found this morning. (more details as I get them)

I heard this afternoon and this evening 30 of us gatherd in Moo bar for a very somber drink. We have lost a very close friend who was more philospher than daredevill. He was (again AFAIK) one exam away from his full mountain guide certification.

JP I only knew to say high to in the Midi lift que, but his exploits in the freeski and freeride world go back 2 decades. He had just returned to living in Canada having lived abroad for a while so he and his wife could have their first child in his homeland.

The flowing movie, has a rather ponient section 15.00 in about another common friend of ours we had lost. Now not Just Feilx but last year Magnus (Jesus hat in this movie), JP and Andreas

http://youtube.com/v/ixcFL8hOzGc

Good night and god bless
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Terrible news Sad Two world class skiers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad and sorry for the loss of your friends. I did not have the pleasure of knowing either of them. Will have a small drink in their memory if that is acceptable to you and your friends.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RIP

http://youtube.com/v/Uo_YeJRls2M
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Sad and sorry for the loss of your friends

such sad news. May they Rest In Peace.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is really saddening news Sad I can hardly believe I'm reading it! I've grown up watching JP in all of the ski movies and loved watching what Andreas got up to in Chamonix. Another loss to the skiing community, my thoughts go out to you and all friends and families.

One of my favourite mini films about Andreas:

And everyone remembers JP in the street skiing segment from All I Can:
JP Auclair Street Segment (from All.I.Can.) from Sherpas Cinema
http://vimeo.com/32863936
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow sad news Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crying or Very sad

JP Auclair and Andreas Fransson in the Mont Blanc Massif EP 2 from Bjarne Salén
http://vimeo.com/38689730
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So tragic. I saw Earlyups posting about 'maybe they had an accident' and we were all praying it wasn't true.

RIP.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Horrible news Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski in peace... Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My skiing hero has gone,
another choucas will fly high in Cham!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh sh#t

Lovely guy to meet and for his skills very humble

Makes this all the more poignant

If you've ever skied a twin tip or modern Salomon ski you probably find JP had an influence.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Terrible news Sad We may search out these beautiful lines and they make our lives worthwhile, but the moments of beauty sometimes carry a heavy price just due to chance. An inspiring pair of great skiers, they will be sorely missed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sad Rest in peace, what a life it was though! Watched a couple of the videos posted, they achieved some incredible stuff!
snow report
Sad RIP fellas
snow report
Happy Winter from Bjarne Salén
http://vimeo.com/77959171
snow report
Really sad news, RIP and thoughts to their family's and friends, truly inspiring skiers.
snow report
RIP you two legends! Thoughts go out to family and friends
snow report
Those two have featured in some of the most jaw dropping ski films ever. The JP Auclair street segment is probably my number one....and the clip of Andreas' descending the Pain de Sucre is possibly the most extreme skiing descent image ever seen. Sad
snow conditions
Absolutely devastated.
ski holidays
so sad - Andreas was a lovely guy, who I had the pleasure of meeting and photographing at Kendal festival.
ski holidays
Idris, I love this quote - "Things change... I'm not out there any more to find perfection. Now, it's just about going out into the mountains, because, I have realised, it's the best way for me to spend my precious time on earth."
latest report
Horrible news Idris.....
Andreas was undoubtedly one of the top ski mountaineers on the planet.
Like many I have lived vicariously through his internet adventures, videos and blogs.
Going to miss them.
snow conditions
Very sad news.
ski holidays
Sad
latest report
Sad
snow report
Very sad indeed; JP and Andreas were both influential and inspirational Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very sorry to read that Idris.

Thoughts are with you and their families.
ski holidays
Very sorry to see this thread, I have loved their movies, and often yelled at family members to come and see this. So sorry for their friends and families.
snow conditions
Sad Sad
snow report
Hey Idris, between Andreas, JP and Liz D the bad news just kept rolling in yesterday...
Add in Basti Haag and Andrea Zambaldi last week and September 2014 will definitely go down in the history of ski mountaineering for all the wrong reasons.
To quote Ptor S: "celebrate their lives...send love to their families and friends...then look hard at the details of the accident scenarios."
snow report
Very sad news! My thoughts are with their family and friends
ski holidays
Many existed longer, but fewer lived more.
snow conditions
Turns out Liz Daley died in a seperate avalanche in South America too. Today gets worse and worse. Sad

Edit: Scheiß, didn't realise she was BettyDee on TGR. Her TR's were always so full of stoke. RIP.
ski holidays
Planetski.eu have amoving tribute to both men. Shows what grounded, skilled and really nice chaps they were. So sad.
Ride well in powder Heaven, RIP.
ski holidays
As well as all action vids he was also a good writer.

"Word after word, situation after situation and feeling after feeling – life goes on like a continuous wave that we can be on top of, under or behind."

http://andreasfransson.se/2014/02/the-beauty-of-choice-and-the-depth-of-now/

I did not know him but came across this tragedy via some Swedes I know on FB

In their words...
It's been two intense days in the our household and we have again been reminded to seize the moment and live it. All our thoughts are with the families of Andreas and JP.
ski holidays
Grim news, nothing to add but well said everybody.
snow report
a very sad day.

Some more detail via Trey Cooke on Facebook.

I’ve spoken with Stefan Palm, an instructor in the SBO Svenska Bersgguides Organisationen, who passed me a few details about the tragic accident that claimed the lives of Andreas Fransson and JP Auclair.

What is known is that on 29th Sept at around mid-day in Patagonia, Andreas Fransson and JP Auclair planned to climb and ski the San Lorenzo couloir on Monte San Lorenzo, a 3,706 meter peak on the border of Chile and Argentina in the Patagonian Andes. About two-thirds of the way up, they were swept by a snow release very high above them that carried them about 700 meters down the couloir on to a heavily crevassed glacier.

Filmakers Bjarne Salén and Daniel Rönnbäck were in place to film the descent when they saw the accident happen but were separated by four hours of heavily crevassed terrain. Using their radio, they tried to contact Andreas and JP but there was no answer to their calls. Bjarne and Daniel then used their satellite phone to call Swedish mountain guide Per Ås (in France) and Rolo Garibotti, an Argentine climber who is an authority on the area (currently in Italy) who both advised them to stay put due to the immense and dangerous glacier, cloudy weather, limited time, as well as the difficult situation they were in. Per immediately called his colleague Stefan Palm who has a large network in Chile.

Garibotti then contacted a number of people and by luck Chilean climber Armando Montero happened to be at the trailhead of San Lorenzo, about to start an ascent of the peak. Montero returned to the closest town - Cochrane, Chile - and informed the local authorities. Once the rescue was started Montero and his partner headed back up the mountain, to meet Bjarne and Daniel, whom they met that evening at their base camp.

Stefan Palm also contacted Joaquin Oyarzun, from Heli Ski Guides, a Chilean outfit, to try to organize a helicopter rescue but found that the closest heli was 200 miles away and wouldn’t be able to leave unit the next day, 30 Sept.

Fast action by the authorities, police and military ensured that on Tuesday, 30 Sept at 9:00a, a helicopter flew over to the accident site. The helicopter stopped at basecamp and picked up Montero, an experienced guide and mountaineer. Because of the severe terrain the helicopter was unable to land but nevertheless flew quite low and were able to spot both climbers. Both pilot and Montero who were in the heli reported they had no doubt that both skiers were dead and had probably died immediately. A rescue attempt was therefore called off.

Because the accident occurred on the Argentinian side of the mountain the body recovery is now in the hands of the Argentine gendarmerie. On Tuesday morning a team of five Argentine gendarmes set off to try to reach the bodies. Because of the remoteness it is unlikely that a foot mission will succeed, but there is hope to secure a helicopter later today.

I've also received news that Bjarne and Daniel are now safely off the mountain.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and many friends of these two beloved skiers. Special thanks go to Armando Montero and his partner, as well as to Alvaro Herrera, the captain of Carabineros of Cochrane, and to the rest of the authorities that have helped so far.
snow report
Sad, sad day...and a very harsh reminder of the risks for those of us who ski offpiste, even though nowhere as remote as this.

Ride in Peace.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy