Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@stewart woodward, That sums it up! Best snow of the day Leisse Very Happy (except the narrow bumps at the bottom Shocked ) . Great quiche at the Rosée Blanche - now all home made because of the new EU rules on Allergens - so they know what's in it!!

@adharwood, Not sure about the avi level dropping at height (the only area where there is snow) because of the 'angular crystals' close to the surface - the local experts (and that does not include me) are all saying its going to be a while. As for the Pisteurs couloir it slipped yesterday, naturally by the absence of tracks, in the very narrow part about a quarter of the way down. The crown wall was about 40 cm by the look of it and the avalanche grew and was more than halfway across the flatter element at the bottom. The couloir is now back to rock. Don't know anyone whose been down below the top of the Fornet Cable Car. As there are no snow cannons through the trees I expect it would be easier on a mountain bike as there is not much natural snow at that level.

The local weather forecast is talking of an 'avalanche of sun' until the weekend, after that it now looks like the centre of the weather is going to be over Austria and Switzerland. Early indications are for an unsettled start to next week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, I had a look at Pisteurs after chatting to another local instructor who reported that the avalanche had been set off by 2 skiers. Looks like 2 tracks ending at the crown wall of the avalanche! A lot of avalanche activity on most aspects above 2400m, particularly East swinging round through North to NW with wind scouring the off piste today, particularly around the borsat area.

Anyone been over to the Fornet area on Tuesday - keen to know off piste conditions....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Diverskify, Didn't spot those - may have been the light or my eyes - but I guess they 'soiled their armour'.

Not been out today as I had to sort out some infuriating paperwork to pay a €100 setup charge for a loan, 2 trips to the Syndic and then the bank pretty much broke the day up - finally got it paid - hopefully it will arrive. However, I suspect today was very much like yesterday looking out of the window and probably very much like tomorrow!

Sunny all day tomorrow and then clouding over on Friday - still not sure how much snow we are going to get over the weekend - but one thing is for sure its going to be windy Sat and Sun with some showers. The freezing level is staying quite high in the days to come.

The good news is the evening bus is now back running between Val and Tignes for those who miss the last lift. The service had been chopped by the regional council but the resorts have got together and subsidised it themselves. Leaves Val at 17.25, 18.35 and 1945, leaves Tignes Le Lac at 16.50, 18.00 and 1910. €6 one way which is a lot less than a taxi.

Finally thoughts go out to the parents of an 18 year old lad from Newport who was found dead in the Gorge in La Daille after a night out.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 7-01-15 18:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied Vallon in le fornet today with our guide-good conditions, but group above us set off an avalanche ,which we saw.nobody was caught in it fortunately .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied Vallon in le fornet today with our guide-good conditions, but group above us set off an avalanche ,which we saw.nobody was caught in it fortunately .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Groundhog Day

Yep just more of the same, great pistes, warm weather, no queues & the beginnings of 'panda eyes' Very Happy Very Happy

I understand that some off piste is very good if you catch it at the right time but you still have to be careful wink

The only unusual occurrence was a Drone flying above palafour, no idea why Puzzled

As a mark of respect for the people murdered in Paris all the lifts stopped for 1 minute at 12 noon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing more to say about today! As for the future its going to be a bloomin windy weekend, the snow forecast over Friday night has gone a long way east and won't be troubling us (maybe just as well given a rain snow line of well over 2000m) but Sunday when it will be much colder we could be in for a reasonable amount of snow - but it will be going sideways Shocked Next week is unsettled and we will have the return of the topsy turvey temps.

As an add on to the wise words from the Sage of Lavachet above tomorrows avalanche report states that the snow conditions above 2500m are highly unpredictable and that we need a massive dump of snow or a significant rainy period to stabilise it because of all the angular snow and 'gobelets' which are buried. As an example, the Palet drag opened on Tuesday which a lot of folk used to traverse to the easy off piste at the bottom of the Col de Ves - this morning the traverse was buried under large slabs of snow, some of which were half a metre thick.

Quote:

The only unusual occurrence was a Drone flying above palafour, no idea why

It was bringing my pension wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep another great day, went over to the Fornet glacier again, great conditions and hardly anyone aroud other than hundreds of Scots(?) on the glacier racing,, didn't effect lift queues. Came back through Soliase andthe Manchet lift was open, two fantastic runs on one of my favourite pistes. Did Grand Pre again at the end of the day, brill. last run down to La Daille better than yesterday. @chocksaway, enjoyed the run off Palet yesterday but still thin in places. was that you on Double M (top bit before the second chair) yesterday I say with a white drone?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quick question for those in resort. I know this is the prime retail time for the shops but do any of the equipment shops have sales on i.e. last years kit etc? We are trying to decide whether to get a set of replacement bindings for the wife now (last years model on sale) or wait till we get in resort.
My guy feel is that resort will be full of this years full price gear at the moment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - having been enjoying reading - and trying to memorise - your reports! (for future reference as to the good runs)
Any idea how the runs back down to Le Brevieres are fairing - I'm useless on icy runs - so may look at getting gondola back if that bad???
Heading to Tignes this weekend.
Thank you
x
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @Dippy - We returned from les Brevieres on 3rd Jan, so I don't have recent updates, but the snow cannons were keeping the blue runs down to the village topped up, and although icy in a couple of places were generally fine. There were some bare patches with grass coming through but no stones so OK. The end of the red-run into the village was more icy. However, there has not been much snow since the major dump on 27th December, and the runs to Les Brevieres only opened on 28th Dec. Top of the Aguille Percee was horrible and stony. We did often get the blue run back from the top of there into Les Brevieres to avoid having to go into Tignes Le Lac and out again, but wouldn't fancy it now with less snow. Enjoy your trip.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dippy,

Not been yet this season (always go in March) but that's a good plan - no shame in downloading.

The Sache (black) can be intimidating in places (large moguls / icy) so I wouldn't attempt it if snow cover is patchy.

Les Brevieres is lovely - recommend the Bouda and L'Armailly for eating.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We awoke to a veiled sky so decided to leg it to Bourg for the shopping - the roads were wet and all fine. Just after unpacking at 1ish there was a massive gust of wind and it started snowing. Overall it has been moderate ever since and the roads are quite white. As snow had fallen off the forecast last night this is very welcome Very Happy Very Happy Can't reallt tell from the radar how long its going to last. It is still very windy and both glaciers are basically shut down (although the funi is running for the diehards). Tomorrow should be cloudy and warm and then Sunday it is going to cool down and another band of snow will pass through - how much - the forecasts are varying. Next week is going to be unsettled and unpredictable so I will forecast sunny periods, snow showers and wind!
@Rob_Quads, No sales yet but if you poke around the shops you never know. Try John-Charles at the top of the Rue de La Poste in Ski Fast he has a cellar full of stuff.
@Dippy, Some mates went to Brev yesterday - it was not great - depending on the time of day it was hard to soft and plenty of stones. From the webcams it appears it is sleeting down there at the moment so that will help. My advice would be to ask the staff down there or ski to Les Boisses first and see how you go - you can then get the Boisses bubble back to the top of the Brev bubble. Sache is currently closed.

And the long awaited travel report - there will be 20000 cars coming up between Albertville and Moutiers and 18000 going down so it shouldn't be too bad although they may operate the lights to keep folk out of the tunnels.

As for flying the UK will be wet and windy, so for flying it will be bumpy and expect some firm arrivals!! If the current forecasts play out there may be issues with crosswinds early doors at Leeds and Birmingham but the strong gusts will be associated with showers so it may be a case of holding in the air on at the gate until these pass. With Leeds forecasting gusts of 50 knots between 6 and 8 in the morning there may be a few delays because of ground handling issues - ie loading bags and moving steps in thaose conditions could be a bit trick Most other places the runways are in the correct direction - but it could easily be a roller coaster so fasten those belts tight. Scotland will be fine as the worst will have past by morning. Over here it will be dry and cloudy and at airport heights not very windy at all - but hang on to yer hat as you get off the bus. If you are on a ferry - take a sick bag!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last day in the Espace Killy for us today, marred by poor light and high winds but still had a good day, did the Tignes funicular early on down Double M which was ok, the run off the Palet drag was very scratchy was was the red under the eye but best run was down to La Boisse. spent rest of afternoon pottering around beleverde area before run dow to La Daille which was better than expected. a few beers in the bar, packed and waiting dinner from excellent Ski Beat team. Next ski trip is to Madonna at half term with my daughter Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can we merge the two espace killy and tignes threads please?
latest report
@chocksaway, and Stewart Woodward.........there goes the neighbourhood Twisted Evil . Going to be some real dodgy characters in the area soon.

Just get the snow sorted out will you? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Maersk, no way. Follow a bit longer and you'll see the difference
latest report
@Maersk, this one's a thread, the other's a blog.

@Dippy, I would advise the gondola back down. Always a nice way to end the day in my opinion, a peaceful and relaxing down-ride, taking in the views and thinking about the day's skiing, perhaps enjoying a cigarette as you watch those below skate/swim around on/in the PM ice/slush.
latest report
Forecast for flying remains as before with the proviso that there has been a spot of bother at Leeds with the wind and some aircraft have diverted, so some will be in the wrong place in the morning unless they can reposition them overnight.
snow report
@red 27, damn good blog though.
snow report
@GeorgeVII,

When are you arriving?

Yesterday's snow has been washed away overnight Sad and it is very warm this morning Sad The temperatures are due to plunge later today with snow forecast for tomorrow, hopefully, Puzzled
snow report
@stewart woodward, looking more likely that it will snow tomorrow judging by the forecasts.
ski holidays
Red27 and chocsaway. Thank you both. Advice noted!
snow conditions
@red 27, smoking in a gondola!?

I like both threads, you can never have too much info on the EK Very Happy
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, Next weekend Stewart. Have pm'd you.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Are you next door again - if so pop round for a cup of Yorkshire!

What a bizarre day - last evening it was all looking good and then as Stewart said it rained overnight, was still drizzling this morning and given the wind in the village and a temp of +8 a lot of snow has vanished off roofs (and therefore some of the slopes). The wind is till howling at the top of the GM - long time since I have seen clouds moving that fast. Needless to say with that toxic mix I had a lie in and went to the pool. Even now at 1545 the temp is still high and the stiff breeze means the snow is still getting eaten.

But the good news is Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy the temperature is going to drop rapidly tonight and there will be a bit of snow to repair the damage - mostly early doors tomorrow. If you are driving up tonight watch out for icy patches. Flying tomorrow will still be bumpy at both sides of the channel but not enough to cause any disruption (unless the forecasters change their mind and all the aircraft which diverted from Leeds today are in the right place tomorrow). There is a chance of a snow shower Leeds and north but nothing that looks too bad. Over here you will probably get wet moving between aircraft and terminal.
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:

Great, can you hide a few Pork pies in your luggage Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
In Tignes with Linds It's really quiet in the town, where is everyone.?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

Great, can you hide a few Pork pies in your luggage Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If only you'd posted that yesterday........
latest report
@chocksaway, Yes, staying next door. Will take you up on your offer......

@stewart woodward, Trip to the butchers on the cards wink
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:

@stewart woodward, Trip to the butchers on the cards wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Snowing this morning Very Happy
ski holidays
Puzzled How long does it take to put snow chains on a bus?
A. Don't know yet - they have been at it 25 mins and still only got one on!!
Still snowing heavily but it is blowing a gale (120k up the GM)- may be a few sunny periods this afternoon. But the roads look treacherous in the village - just seen a BM go round the roundabout sideways.
Shocked
snow conditions
A. 40 mins.

But there has now been an incident somewhere between Tignes and the Dam with 2 buses and a ditch - so as far as I can tell the village is cut off. Reports mention that a lot of lift staff have not made it up the valley - so what with the wind and lack of staff there's not much happening. It is getting a bit brighter now and I think we have seen most of the snow fall for today, going by the radar and the airport reports.

So its rubber gloves on for a spot of cleaning and an early lunch and then maybe - just maybe......... Very Happy
snow report
Only the button appears to be open in Le Lac at the moment.
snow conditions
Just the village lifts up here and Tichot, more here:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
But out of the window there are people on Chaudannes (but they may be resort staff) which would give you access t the Brev sector, which is open - but you would have to bus back from Boisses.
Can't see anything on the status of the road, but it is very quiet in the village.
ski holidays
And as I typed Chaudannes, Palafour and Grattalu have reopened.
ski holidays
oooh it looks to have brightened up!
ski holidays
OK Happy
snow report
@HoneyBunny, It did - but it was still bloomin draughty. I went out for an hour and a half (cabin fever setting in). It was an eclectic mix - evidently it rained to about 2000m just before daylight - this then froze to the snow which now has a few cm of snow on top. Higher up the winds had scoured some ridges and just below them you have nice piles of wind blown soft stuff. On Piste Lac (which is in a gulley) there was some really nice snow - just a shame there were a few idiots skiing out of control. I met a friend at the bottom of the Aiguille Rouge who had ventured to Boisses and said it was very difficult (more rain down there) - he said down to Brev was just 'Dancing on Ice'. After having to tuck to get away from the top of the Palafour Chair (because of the wind) and nearly being swiped by a boarder on the run home - I called it a day.

Its going to be sunny tomorrow but windy, similar on Tuesday - it then becomes unsettled overnight and more unpredictable. Not seen any pictures of what happened on the road yet - but it is all open for the afternoon arrivals. No avalanche report yet for tomorrow but with the weather overnight and all this wind I imagine the author will be having a very busy day.
snow report
I gave up about 2 as was getting blown all over the place! anarchicsaltire, skied on for another hour. Now in our hotel bar with some live music.
@stewart woodward, you should have said earlier I had 3kgs spare in my ski bag rolling eyes snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy