Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Looks good. I'm there new years week with mostly boarders if anybody wants to meet up for some skiing, conditions dependant some moderate off piste too.

Last time I came to Tignes I brought 1 metre of powder (pre season bash 2012). Hopefully I will bring at least 20cm with me this time snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I few observations from this mornings ski;

1. It is much quieter than I thought it would be Very Happy

2. The pistes were generally in a very good condition although a little narrow in places Very Happy The Tommusses bumps were full of rocks, avoid Puzzled Trolles is open but grassy & rocky in places rolling eyes

3. The Chaudane lift opened this morning but only for skiing back into Tignes Le Lac Very Happy no access to Le brevieres Sad Sad

4. It is warm, more like April than December Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I posted this in the weather outlook thread and the dump hasn't flattened out yet, so thought it was worth a share on here

http://www.bergfex.com/tignes/wetter/prognose/

If that hasn't jinxed it then nothing will
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't bother with Tignes, massive lift queues and pistes rinsed by 11am
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's really helpful input there @notnats,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i guess notnats is going to Tignes....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we skied across from val yesterday . the lift que at one point uo the grand motte chair from val claret was large as the funnicular seemed closed . we decided to have a coffee and came out to a norml smallish queue.

the pistes reamined in decent condition and we had no issues at all.

yesterday was a lovely day
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tomf05 wrote:
I posted this in the weather outlook thread and the dump hasn't flattened out yet, so thought it was worth a share on here

http://www.bergfex.com/tignes/wetter/prognose/

If that hasn't jinxed it then nothing will

Please remove this post, you will only upset the snow gods wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ewanmalone wrote:
That's really helpful input there @notnats,

Have you read the name back wards?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now I don't want to jinx it either but by the looks of the ever so accurate and can take it for gospel weather forecasts it looks like Tignes is about to get a fair bit colder and a fair amount of snow?! Toofy Grin

On a bit of a side note, do we think due to the lack of snow so far this season on other parts of the alps its going to cause an adverse effect for E-K area with it being overran with tourists flocking from elsewhere? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once again the forecast seems to change in a short space of time. Last night this chart was showing substantial falls of new snow but that seems to have fizzled out.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello all! looking forward very much to arriving in town on the 27th for a great week, regardless of whatever the weather gods have in store. I have been so busy watching weather forecasts and WebCams in real-time that I stupidly forgot to book the covered carpark space.... now looks like they've all gone! No surprise there! I am trying to sell this as E75 euros saved to my wife... she, however, sees me for the true numpty that I am. I wonder if anyone could kindly recommend which would be the best free car park to use if staying at Le Bec Rouge in Le Lac, in order to minimize time spent on shuttle buses etc? Hope everyone there is having a fantastic week.! Thanks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidstearn: There is no free parking at Le Lac. Tignes 1800 - formerly known as Les Boisses - free parking (ie behind the new village development/next to Les Boisses gondola) will be your most convenient - though spaces will be at a premium for such a high season week. It's virtually ski in/out from the car park - though I don't know if there will be a run open to Les Boisses yet. Outside lift times you can easily get the regular free bus back up to Le Lac - the bus stop is next to the main roundabout as you enter Tignes 1800 (ie just after the dam).

One other point: Access is normally easy to the Tignes 1800 car park but - as it's uphill on the way out - you may need a shovel (or, more rarely, chains) at the end of your stay. Also, the car park itself doesn't get cleared. We once spent over an hour (fortunately the day before we were setting off for the airport), along with about six other car park users, clearing the car park after a big snow fall so that we could get our cars out. It's definitely worth popping down to check and (if necessary) clear the car (and road!) just before the end of your hol.

The alternative free parking is at Les Brevieres - there's a very big car park next to the gondola. You really need to park there during lift opening hours though - as there's no free bus back up. Access and egress are generally not a problem - the approach is a flat road through the centre of Les Brev.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mtaylor wrote:

On a bit of a side note, do we think due to the lack of snow so far this season on other parts of the alps its going to cause an adverse effect for E-K area with it being overran with tourists flocking from elsewhere? Puzzled

Our experience last week was that it did have an effect on how busy pistes were, with a whole lot more people than we'd have expected mid-December, the lifts coped fine (even with less open than normal, all were well inside capacity with never more than a couple of minutes wait) but the major risk was from other skiers who normally would not be in Tignes in December, the "too fast and out of control" groups of youngsters who we've experienced in Andorra and Meribel before, we assumed they had been relocated by TOs from other resorts as they certainly weren't the normal EK December crowd.

I doubt very much that it will significantly affect snow, just get out early and use the high altitude pistes (which have a good base down) in the afternoon, and download on the lifts instead of skiing home at the end of the day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many thanks mountainaddict... will arrive at Le Lac for drop off as early as possible and head back to to 1800 then in the first instance. Will have chains and shovel for sure! Many thanks for the advice! Always good to have a plan!
snow conditions
Have found the skiing variable. Weather glorious these past few days but I guess most would trade that for a good snow dump!
Some of the best snow is higher up but can be marred by ice, which is a problem that's going to get worse as it gets colder. Links to Val are marred by lack of snow and moguls. Latter can be challenging even to reasonably good skiers eg on Edelweiss. Some of the popular runs like Henri can get very crowded. Overall have enjoyed it so far and an opportunity to get to grips with moguls and ice!
snow conditions
For the last 2 days I have only skied on the glacier & Double M so my snow report is brief Sad

The glacier has great snow although there were a few queues on Tuesday due to the cable car being closed. Double M is holding up very well and apart from a few icy patches is excellent Very Happy
The resort is working hard to maintain the pistes in a good condition and thankfully it is not too busy.

Last night we went to the Circus spectacular in Le Lac which was truly spectacular Very Happy Hopefully here are a few pictures:

If you are here for new years eve it is def worth a visit.

Happy xmas from all in Tignes
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
OMG it is cold today rolling eyes rolling eyes It was -10 at the bottom of Marmottes at noon today. The only happy person was probably the owner of the Marmottes Restaurant as it was packed with people having a well needed hot chocolate.

The good news is that the links to Le Boisse & Le Breviere are open Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Today you have to download on the Gondala but the pistes should be open tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy

The pistes are still in a good condition although there are more and more grassy/rocky areas Sad Tomorrows predicted snowfall should improve conditions Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
On my way back!!!! Please make sure that if you are in front of me that you have chains and know how to use them if you are travelling up by car tomorrow. Remember, a 4x4 SUV in summer tyres may be fine for climbing the kerbs of Hammersmith but will be bu%%er all use above 1300m tomorrow in the Alps. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Forecast seems to be for 10-20cm maybe more on high and a snowline below Bourg - there maybe traffic jams ahead!

As for the airports - the Met Office are hedging their bets - there may well be some disruption somewhere in the UK tomorrow - it is really just a matter of luck and if all the snow clearing equipment works 1st time! Over the channel the worst weather appears to be forecast at Geneva - but a lot of the snow should fall before the airport opens giving them a chance to clear it. Of course the vagaries of the weather could change everything especially as the wind will be gusty. All in all be prepared for the day not to run as smoothly as silk. But it will be worth it when you arrive snowHead
ski holidays
And great for us already here , as it should be quiet on the slopes tomorrowmorning Smile
snow report
Daytripped over to Tignes from Les Arcs today, as pistes in Les Arc are really starting to struggle with the conditions and traffic.

Certainly colder today, it was -16 on the glacier and -11 at Val Claret when we left ~17:30, but still blue sky, though a few flakes of snow this morning, and looked like maybe 1cm or so of fresh had fallen overnight (none in Les Arcs).

General impression is that piste conditions have held up better in EK this week, still some icy patches, but less stones and also appeared to significantly less people. Like Les Arcs, best skiing was found off piste, even though it's of course well tracked - but looks like that could all change tonight with the new snow coming in (and the resultant increase in avi risk too).
ski holidays
Heavy snow in Geneva this morning but the airport is operating - there seems to be quite a lot of delays originating in Amsterdam accounting for some late departures and knock on effects at other airports. Only a few hours to go before I join the 36000 cars traveling between Albertville and Moutiers Shocked Shocked . Its going to be a busy day in Roady as the Savoie have declared that snow chains are obligatory for all vehicles accessing a ski resort - police checks in place from 0700 this morning.

Looking forward to tomorrow, as@f948lan, said - take care
snow conditions
Daughters coming up to Tignes today, starting with me driving her from here in Serre Che over the Col du Lautaret down to the bottom of Deux Alpes where she'll get a Bens Bus to Grenoble airport and then another one up Tignes laters.

So far we've around 5cm , no traffic on the road yet but I'm leaving early, just hope I can get back over the Col but by 09:00 and the main New Year's traffic coming to Serre will still be a long way away.

Then I drive up to Tignes for a day up there for a ski etc Wed then take here to Turin to catch a flight back, what are Dad's for Puzzled
ski holidays
It's snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It's Dumping it down Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@chocksaway, Enjoy your journey rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, @chocksaway, Tignes Facebook page says that the road between Le Lac and "1800" is closed.
ski holidays
Road closed from Tignes to Bourg now. Friend who is heading up here reporting a coach accident but not seen it mentioned elsewhere.
snow report
From the twitter account of https://twitter.com/IsaMillet

In Bourg train station

snow conditions
Taken from this twitter account https://twitter.com/simplyvaldisere/status/548766395732090880

This is the road they say between Val, Tignes and Bourg. They talk of a colleague having left Val 6 hours ago and not having got to St Foy.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The road out of Tignes to Bourg courtesy of Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204543651423808
latest report
Aborted the mission chaps! Taken residence in a temporary hangar at Montmelian (just after Chambery). It took me 5 hours from Grenoble airport to here (normally 1 hr 10), its thundering and lightening and sleeting heavily. The road to Tignes is open one way at the moment so despite 4x4 and snow tyres I have given up and looking forward to dinner at 7pm. If anyone is interested in joining me I am in the Hotel Cles de Champs - loads of rooms available and its only 500m off the peage (Montmelian turn - just after the autoroute splits to Grenoble and Albertville - and the Leitner snowbasher garage).

Tignes seems to be updating its facebook page regularly with details on the road. Just spoken to snowstartransfers he left Tignes at 8:15 and had not reached Moutiers by 1515 Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Shocked Safety is best option
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Good idea.

Hardly any traffic in or out of village today.
snow report
@stewart woodward, At this rate you could have all that fresh stuff to yourself in the morning Madeye-Smiley

Assuming they get the ordnance fired up early tomorrow and the lifts are running rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Taking out insurance today or tomorrow might be good idea if you don't have it already.
snow report
Some of the scenes around Albertville today. Just awful

https://www.facebook.com/ville.albertville/posts/867148716670792

and tonight. Gulp.....

snow conditions
I have been here a few days in Tignes, and the chalets are full of refugees who can't leave, and there have been no arrivals. Taxis are not running, coaches cancelled. Some people have returned after 8 hours 2 miles from where they started.
ski holidays
Any updates on roads reopening?
snow report
Lift faffer wrote:
Any updates on roads reopening?

The roads are open.

At 03.30 this morning avalanche control was carried out on the access road to make it safe. Lots & lots of big bangs Very Happy
There are quiet a few vehicles already arriving in resort.

The pisteures have already started avalanche control on the pistes and I would expect the lifts to open late. The avalanche risk is 4/5, be careful.
ski holidays
Still snowing gently in Le Lac. A brilliant last day of skiing yesterday. I would love to get up on the mountain today, but in theory we should be leaving on a coach at some point today. Possibly!
snow report
Coming out with a mate on the 3rd, stopping at one of the Ski Beat chalet's at La Daille, really looking forward to it now there's been some serious snow Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy