Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@HoneyBunny, I think that was 3 seasons ago - it dumped it down as we were leaving and folk got stranded all over the alps not able to get to resorts
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SNOW PREPARED WITH ONIONS!!!

Clicked through to a link to Radio Val d'Isere website http://www.radiovaldisere.com/article.php?id=5325 and found an article offering skiing at le Fornet this weekend. Google translate provided the following:

Gifts for everyone! on the occasion of the opening of the winter season, Val d'Isère offer skiing for all skiing fans 29 and 30 November. A weekend on the boards of Pisaillas Glacier where snow was prepared with onions to the delight of skiers and snowboarders. It is true that the weather could foster a working aloft and that is why, until the snow clouds wake up and the cold settled permanently, skiing will be done up there.

For those French speakers it said: Un week-end sur les planches au Glacier du Pisaillas où la neige a été préparée aux petits oignons pour le plaisir des amateurs de glisse.

Onions ... What is that about?
Puzzled Shocked Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andy1234, Its a colloquial phrase meaning to take care of one's needs - how that came about I don't know but I'll ask someone who might know. The only English word I have caught her out on was Jerusalem artichoke!

@holidayloverxx, Yip 2011 - I know cos I was in 'Stan and had other things to worry about at the time - I think Dec 7 was the big day.

I asked at the tourist office this afty and no one had made a decision in Tignes but as its official on the Val website that they are only opening the Fornet glacier then there is no chance of the EK opening. Which given the lack of snow in Tignes then its no surprise - if yo look at the foties below you can see the snow level so there would be no point in even going up the Tov to ski Creux down to Tommeuses as you would run out of white stuff half way down. As for the forecast between now and Sunday its pretty unpredictable - best to leave it as showers with a potential for a bit more on Sunday with a snow level at about 2000m. Windy on Friday. Good news is that it is going to cool down markedly next week so they can at least start the cannons.....

Here's the view of Double M this afternoon:

And here's the Palafour:

The big tent in the foreground is being put up for the recording of an Xmas concert for France 2 which takes place next week Not heard of any of the stars, but if it goes to form there will be a lot of ladies of a certain age getting excited!

Now, I posted this picture of the building site on the bank between the Alpaka and the Mairie in late August:

And today:

They certainly know how to build out here!

And finally, the bad news for all fine diners - Thierry has packed up and left - The Clin D'Oeil is no more and has been replaced by yet another breadshop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:

And finally, the bad news for all fine diners - Thierry has packed up and left - The Clin D'Oeil is no more and has been replaced by yet another breadshop.

What???

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That is a complete disaster Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another beautiful morning on the glacier Very Happy Very Happy 5cm of new snow and much better viz than forecast. The wind increased around lunchtime and closed the cable car Sad

There was a covering of snow down to around 2300m this morning but this soon disappeared in the sunshine. High winds are forecast for tomorrow so not sure what will open Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stewart woodward, any panic about snow in resort as there is here on the forum?!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Next weeks queues on the glacier could be worse than half term rolling eyes

The Leisse is due to open on Saturday which should help to reduce the queues. The amount of pistes scheduled to be open will equal the size of a small resort. The problem will be that Tignes does not get small resort crowds rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, thanks for the info about the onions colloquiallism.

@offpisteskiing, can you just clarify where the restaurant that has closed was please?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Windy today as predicted, just the Funicular open for Double M.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
Quote:

Next weeks queues on the glacier could be worse than half term rolling eyes

The Leisse is due to open on Saturday which should help to reduce the queues. The amount of pistes scheduled to be open will equal the size of a small resort. The problem will be that Tignes does not get small resort crowds rolling eyes

And if they have to start bussing them in from other resorts ... Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is anywhere else (other than Val d'Isere) open next week?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy1234, It was the tiny place on the Rosset Front half way between the Loop and The Arbina - set menu and very good if at the top end of the price range for Tignes.

The resort is getting busier - lots of deliveries and packs of new chalet staff looking bewildered! And it has been snowing gently for a couple of hours this will continue over the weekend and it may be a bit heavier on Sunday - but not the resort opening dump that we need. After that the high pressure starts to build and will be established by Wednesday with mainly sunny skies and a massive drop in temperature (hope they turn the heating up). This will mean that the snow blowers could start with a vengeance.

Have now finished all the 'bricolage' on the pad, even the mysteries of fitting a Velux blind - easy second time. Just time to go and sort the kit out to join the queues tomorrow.

Oh and a mate spotted 2 marmottes yesterday Shocked

Just had lunch in the Jam Bar - at least some things haven't changed. Bellissimo as Rocco would no doubt say!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Oh and a mate spotted 2 marmottes yesterday Shocked

I spotted a couple of 'Blue Jackets' (SCGB Reps) this afternoon. Early arrivals for the SCGB Reps course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SCGB reps collecting people at the Jazz Bar at Geneva this afternoon.
Did have the fastest exit ever from the airport, within 30 mins of landing we had luggage/skis and the hire car. Mind you the bag before ours on the outsize carousel was a golf bag.

Very windy in La Daillie tonight.

Apparently the lack of snow is all my fault according to my husband!!! If I hadn't bought a new pair of sensible snow boots for walking round town we would be knee deep in snow. So sorry everyone:(
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No ski-ing in Val d'Isere this morning as the wind is too high to open the Fornet cable car Sad

A bit of online Christmas shopping this morning I think.
snow report
Interesting article in Le Dauphine this week about the process of artificial snowmaking at Tignes. Hopefully it will be put to use from Tues onwards. Use Google Chrome or similar to translate.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2014/11/26/eau-air-froid-une-recette-simple-pour-faire-de-la-neige
snow report
@Schnorrr, thanks for posting, that was interesting.
This may be a silly question but what is the purpose of the tarpaulins on the ground in front of the swimming pool and on the little slope down from the shops in Tignes Le Lac? I can't remember seeing those before unless they are covered over by snow by the time I've looked at the webcams in the past?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, Its to protect some of the more delicate sports surfaces - particularly the beach footy pitches. It also protects the grass so it looks nice more quickly in the summer they have been there every year.

Well that was the first day of the season for me (season passes started to day) - quite busy up on the glacier and the cable car and the top 2 drags were closed due to high winds. The Leisse lift opened as planned and the snow down to it was in good nick - getting to the top of the piste was a bit of an escapade though, you either had to download on the Panoramic chair or a bit of rock hopping was the order of the day. Generally the pistes were all reasonable down to 2200m - there is a bit of gravel about on some exposed ridges - but easily avoidable. Maybe not a day for brand new planks!

Lots more people in resort and lots of 'opening nights' it's the Brasero's on Monday - under new management by the Loop/Couloir team.

Showers with snow down to the village tomorrow and Monday followed by mixed weather as the high pressure builds later in the week. If only those Mediterranean storms would move north.
snow conditions
@muppet, we spent most of the day in the gourmandine then the Pacific bar for rugby. Better luck tomorrow hopefully
snow conditions
First day of the season for me also. After a ten hour drive yesterday following the North Sea Cruise to Zeebrugge, I did not make it out this morning. I managed three hours on the glacier this afternoon, and to be fair, conditions were much better than I expected. Just discovered that the remote for the satellite box is still on the coffee table at home Crying or Very sad New one ordered via ebay hopefully here by next weekend.
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks
latest report
@holidayloverxx, walked all round resort, up Face for a quick snow picture then to Fornet in drizzle. A call about 1.45 to the ski techs/reps doing the demos at the Crozets confirmed no skiing.
Christmas online shopping done this evening.
The lamppost outside the window is no longer swaying as much so hopefully a better day tomorrow.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, not looking as though we'll be catching up on a piste hereabouts unless you decide to come and play on the motte Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Just discovered that the remote for the satellite box is still on the coffee table at home

Can Mrs Tigski not perform the same function?? "Take Cover"

Leaden skies this morning but no sign of any showers yet - maybe bit later and hopefully some tomorrow. Time to get the bus to the GM
snow report
Looks like all the Glacier lifts/slopes & Double M are open today Very Happy Very Happy Should help to spread the people about a little.
latest report
@stewart woodward, yeah - not too crowded and with the standard of skiing being higher than yer average week it was no problem no queues for the cable car Rosolin was busy with various courses . The skiing was very good down the glacier this morning - as it is quite warm the pistes are not the boiler plate we are used to. The skies darkened through the morning with a bit of mist and it got progressively worse after midday and the snow started falling down to about 2300m. It is now raining in the village. All bets are off on weather forecasting beyond Wednesday - it is going to get colder but weather we will have sunny high pressure or a selection of fronts is anyone's guess. Puzzled
latest report
Just back from a Sunday morning on the slopes. The surprising thing was the lack of queues Very Happy Although Rossolin was busy no other lifts on the glacier were & you could walk straight onto the lower lifts. Hopefully this will continue during the week.

There had been a little snow overnight but nothing serious. It was snowing slightly down to about 2300m with sleet/rain below Sad
snow report
Still looking a bit grassy at resort level, but good to see that it hasn't been so warm that the snow has melted higher up. Fingers crossed for some more snow next week when the temperatures come down.

Random question, but does anyone know of a ski shop in Val Claret that'll do an overnight snowboard service on a saturday? Just a wax/edge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tordi wrote:

Random question, but does anyone know of a ski shop in Val Claret that'll do an overnight snowboard service on a saturday? Just a wax/edge.

Any ski shop should be able to accommodate you.
snow report
Tigski wrote:
Just discovered that the remote for the satellite box is still on the coffee table at home Crying or Very sad New one ordered via ebay hopefully here by next weekend.

If you have got a recent smart phone model it may well have an IR blaster on it, just download an app and see if you can get it to work, I usually use it in hotels on my Samsung S4.
snow report
@Oz., Thanks for the suggestion.
latest report
Not skied today as the forecast did not look great and I had promised to enter flatpack hell and help a friend build a bunk bed - now complete Very Happy . Woke up to sunny spells but it turned out to be a suckers gap and we had a mix of sleet and snow in the village - a gentle top up for the Motte I think. Work continues apace in front of the Maison on the preparations for Wednesday's Les Copains D'Abord TV show - I hadn't quite realised how much effort and how many trucks going into the making of a Christmas musical special.

Weather situation this week is complex (so ignore any aps!!) the high pressure that was threatening to dominate is now not going to and there are a plethora of weak fronts and troughs. Wednesday shows quite a lot of precipitation off to the east in Italy - but its not that far east so fingers crossed. Also there will be showers potentially coming in from the southwest at the end of the week. But it going to cool down so will help the snow making fairies
latest report
Well it looks like another beatiful sunny day in Tignes - at least they've managed to start up the snow cannons overnight in Val Claret and Double M looks in fairly good nick.
ski holidays
Ick, it doesn't look fab at the minute, but I know it doesn't take much to change things. Am moving from board to skis for the first time as well, so a bit nervy as to what I'll be able to ski as a newbie beginner. Have rationed myself to one look at the webcam per day until I leave on Saturday...
snow conditions
@chocksaway, we are just starting lunch in taverne de neige if you are around

Just done double M.. very nice
snow report
@papeman, good luck with that rationing, it will never work. Keep calm and believe in tignes Happy - there is always snow and youll have an awesome time. I go out there in october pre season training and its cool wearing shorts in the village, then getting up the mountain to the cold white bit Toofy Grin
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Blast - missed you - (also can't get sH on my stupid phone Shocked - there's nothing wrong with it - its just not smart!)

Last night was a bit hectic socially with the opening of the Brasero - now run by the Loop Couloir Team. Fresh look to the restaurant (which opens soon) with a display of meat cleavers on the wall! Food is going to be pitched mid range - and they seem to have a good crew and with Kate (formerly of the Alpaka) in charge it will be well run. It was then on to the Jam Bar for the first session of the season. If I carry on at this rate I won't make it to Christmas.

Bright blue skies this morning above 2000m - you could see a sea of cloud over towards the 3V. The sound of snow cannons was very welcome as we rode up Lanches. Glacier still not busy and good snow to be had but the last bit (150m) of Double M was much harder than yesterday - scraaaape. I suspect it will all change at the weekend as hordes of Varsity studes arrive.

The weather looks unsettled for the rest of the week, cloudy with light snow showers and the odd sunny spell, but it is set to get colder which can only be good. As for the future there are tentative signs of the Atlantic Jetstream moving south next week which is encouraging (but a long way from being a forecast wink ).

Prep for tomorrows TV extravaganza continues - I was woken from my siesta by a very loud rendition of Jingle Bells. Shocked

Alpaka Bar opens tonight at 7pm if anyone is around
ski holidays
Snow cannons are blasting away this morning trying to join 'the dots' Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Looks like another beautiful sunny morning there (although Snowforecast says it should be snowing)
snow conditions
Hence my quote made on Monday!
Quote:

Weather situation this week is complex (so ignore any aps!!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy