Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Mtaylor, +1 and @Schnorrr, +1 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like there has been a small top up to the snow at resort level in the last day or two?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Schnorrr, Its even worse because I'll look at the webcams, then look at new gear & clothes which I don't need at all but buy anyway.... I really lack any kind of willpower! Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like its improving on the webcams this afty with the odd brave soul braving his bases down Double M (Its a renter came the cry) . Should be a good few days on the glacier with sunny skies. The not such good news is the previously forecast rain/snow this weekend got stuck in the Atlantic (probably due to the odd course of the Jetstream that the BBC have been banging on about for the last few days). And from tomorrow afternoon it is starting to warm up again and by Thursday the freezing level, by day, will be above 3000m. Sure it will freeze by night with the clear skies but we may get to see the grass again in Le Lac and almost certainly in Brev. Little sign of any precipitation in the next week but a chance of fog late in the weekend.
However, as an optimist I did have a practice with the snow chains this morning just in case the weather elves have got it really wrong. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit of a dump over night and the snow cannons are working in Val C!!! Happy They must be optimistic that its going to stay now!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS check out the views from the glacier this morning!! STUNNING! Anyone out there at the moment is one lucky STwisted EvilD
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks great this morning. Think I'll get the skis out and prep them ready for next week, but what ones rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, Get a double ski tube and take 2 Happy - My titans and preachers are going with me in Jan ssoooo cant wait!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PaulC1984 wrote:
PS check out the views from the glacier this morning!! STUNNING! Anyone out there at the moment is one lucky STwisted EvilD

Today was pretty good, bit of a cold wind but snow nice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, My heart bloody bleeds for you snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Bit of a dump over night and the snow cannons are working in Val C!!! Happy They must be optimistic that its going to stay now!

Not really much of a dump last night. More like a sprinkle but better than nothing.
The good news is that the snow cannons have been blasting away all day on Double M Very Happy which is due to open Saturday Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Double M is due to open Saturday
About time Very Happy - it was getting late this year!

Quote:
Bit of a dump over night and the snow cannons are working in Val C!!! They must be optimistic that its going to stay now!
Not looking at the forecast above-the-glacier freezing levels for the next 3 or 4 days....

Can't see any way that Espace Killy will be opening on 29 November.... Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, Of course they will open. Even it's just a few runs at Le Fornet and other high bits. They never fail Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeryletcher wrote:
@mountainaddict, Of course they will open. Even it's just a few runs at Le Fornet and other high bits. They never fail Toofy Grin

I am pretty sure they will open the Espace Killy even if it means down loading on the Aeroski into Tignes & the Olympic into Val D. There is more snow forecast for next week we just have to hope the temperatures drop a little.

I skied Double M this afternoon and except for a few rocks near the bottom of the Vanoise lift it was it great condition Very Happy No doubt it will open Saturday so they can put the lift ticket price up wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lanches and Vanoise open this morning - beginning to look like a ski resort!! Good job its been cold overnight for the canons. Still warm until the middle off next week and then the freezing level looks to be dropping to around 1700m by day - so good news for the showers forecast on Wed/Thu - it shouldcome as snow throughout the resort which should help! Continues to cool towards next weekend and early indications show there might be a reasonable amount of precipitation - as ever there are no guarantees with forecasting a week out in the mountains during an unsettled period. See you in resort Monday night Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
All sounding a bit better! Smile
snow report
Very warm today, quite cloudy early on but the sun came out after 12. The best snow seamed to be between the the top of Champaney and the bottom of Vanoise.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Based on what I can see on the webcams in Tignes http://www.tignes.net/fr/ski-a-tignes/webcams-290.html#Webcam_HD_Val_Claret_-_2150_m_-

and in Val d'Isere http://www.valdisere.com/valdisere/en/val_d_isere/webcams/webcams I also think it will be very limited skiing in both areas next week on the 29 November when the whole area is supposed to open unless like last winter we get a serious dump before the weekend. I sure hope so as I plan to be there for the ski testing. Very Happy
snow report
On the webcams today La Face is looking a bit bare. With just over 2 weeks to go until the Mens Downhill and Giant Slalom the organisers will be praying for more snow. With the forecast temps this week being well above freezing I don't think the snow cannons will help.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, thanks for the reminder about the ski testing, I had put that to the back of my mind. I might test a few pairs and preserve my own skis if the conditions are poor. Still looking forward to our arrival in Val on Friday.
snow report
I had another look on the webcams tonight as well. It is not looking very good lower down and the forecast is not very helpful. Think we could be only on the tops or glaciers this weekend. And I do wonder about the links between Tignes and Val d'Isere Puzzled

@muppet, if you are interested in meeting up send me a PM. I plan to be around Saturday and Sunday. Very Happy
ski holidays

7C at 2000m today. Sad

ski holidays
@Gaza, It was +13 in Val Claret at 3pm today, down from +15 yesterday.
snow report
Arrived in resort!!!! I knew it was going to be a different start to the season as I drove through Chambery at half 5 and it was 17 degs. Still 6 degs in Tignes last night at 9pm. By the way loving diesel at 96p per litre (€1.19 was the best I saw).

Still doesn't look much like a ski resort, Palafour is bare but still skiing down to the bottom of Double M. As to the forecast there will be showers tomorrow and Thu with snow down to 2000m - I don't think there will be that much and we will have to see if the EK opens on Sat - there are rumours flying round the village. The weekends forecast is quite tricky - there is a large stormy system to the south - how close it gets to our little valley varies significantly depending on which forecast you look at - here's hoping. Showing signs of cooling down a lot next week.

Just been out and about paying all the bills that have to be paid, doing the 'big shop' and unpacking - more in the next few days.
ski holidays
I'd hazard a guess they will open EK somehow even if connecting is via lifts so they can charge more Smile
latest report
' Still 6 degs in Tignes last night at 9pm.'

Colder than that here!!
snow report
Currently not looking great for anyone arriving November 29. May be a little snow from mid mountain up but unlikely to make anything skiable. But anything could happen before Dec 6. For those arriving Dec 13: way off yet, would not worry (yet)
snow conditions
Im just crossing fingers for 3rd Jan! Long way off in terms of snow I know - 3 days of good snow will help!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How are we looking for mid-March. Should I be worried?
snow report
@HoneyBunny, Wheres my crystal ball Happy
snow conditions
I've waxed a pair of skis each ready for our departure on Friday but the OH is also considering his golf clubs rolling eyes

What about the road bikes ??
snow report
muppet wrote:
the OH is also considering his golf clubs rolling eyes

The Greens could do with a cut but the good news is that there are no green fees this time of year

Quote:
What about the road bikes ??

It's a long ride to Tignes from the UK & it is all uphill on the way back wink
ski holidays
Hoping it gets colder and snows a bit before we go Christmas week. Already been to a very hot and snowless Saalbach-Hinterglemm earlier this year and did enough Spring snow skiing to last a lifetime.

Looks like it might start to get a bit colder from the 3rd December, although I know from experience that watching the models anything past 2/3 days is a bit of a black art.

I assume the snow cannon coverage is pretty decent in Tignes once it gets cold enough?
snow report
Just had a phone call from Val tourist board as we had taken advantage of the First Tracks offer they were advertising.

The resort will only be opening a few lifts in the Pisssaillas area with access from La Fornet on Saturday and Sunday. Monday onwards is still under review. We are being refunded the cost of a two day Val d'Isere pass and given a free day pass to use in April/May time. Not ideal but not a lot we can do.

Any updates on whats happening over in Tignes? We have a hire car so can drive round if need be.
ski holidays
@muppet, Our chalet is trying to get us a better deal.. we already had a discounted deal but reckon we should get something back
snow report
That must be hugely disappointing @muppet but given what the webcams are showing not entirely surprising. 😤😤😤
ski holidays
update from Steve angus (via google translate)
"Val d'Isere opens this weekend.
In view of the snow conditions, the package 1st Traces can not be maintained in the state.
All clients (1st Traces or otherwise) can ski for free Saturday 29 and Sunday, November 30 on the glacier Pissaillas.
Customers 1st Traces benefit from free entrance to the pool aquasportif Centre and will also be offered a day of skiing at the Spring Ski between April 12 and May 3, 2015.
Le Fornet cable car departure will host a town skis snowboards and 2015 tests.
The planned animation device is held: Sliding films, mulled wine, raffle, musical entertainment and opening cocktail at the hotel Altitude.
All station services are mobilized to ensure the opening of Val d'Isere on time and to best satisfy customers eager to make their first tracks.”

We are getting a refund for Sat & Sun Very Happy
snow conditions
@muppet,

I have not seen any official information from Tignes but unless we have some serious snow in the next 24hrs the only pistes open into the village will be Double M. There is no snow cover on the lower parts of Palafour, Piste H, Trolles or any other runs into the Tigne villages. I will check with the tourist office tomorrow & update with any information they provide.

Not sure what is going to happen about lift passes as the Espace Killy will not be open. You will probably have to buy separate passes for Tignes & Val D.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, That is the same email I got sent. We are going back to Val d'Isere in April so at least we'll benefit in money off our passes for that trip at well as not paying for the limited ski-ing this weekend.
Just need to go to the tourist office so they can process our refund.

@stewart woodward, We are not paying for our passes over in Val d'Isere and we still have some old Tignes passes from last season that we can recharge online if we decide to drive over. Any info you find out would be greatly appreciated.

If we do drive round to Tignes we've a couple of spaces in the car if anybody wants a lift. I'll post our plans when we have a better idea of the situation.
ski holidays
I'm sure this can't be the first year this has happened, I'm sure I remember one year not so long ago there was nothing til mid-Dec.

Hope you guys who are going manage to find a bit of snow though, and fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy