Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Good news coming to me today about conditions in Les Arcs. The recent fresh snow has made the pistes stand up well in the busy holiday traffic but the snow is firm and hard packed or icy coming into some lifts and main meeting areas.

There is still fresh untracked snow to be found off piste. Be careful out there and take a guide if you do not know the area well. Remember always have all safety gear and know how to use it.

Hope anyone out now or arriving soon have a good holiday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anybody know a source of cheap lift passes for Paradiski? We want six or seven. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last wrote:
Does anybody know a source of cheap lift passes for Paradiski? We want six or seven. Thanks.

You can't generally get discounts. There are the usual concessions and family options when buying through the official channels.

Sometimes you can get small (~10%) discount when you book an apartment through an agency.

I've seen mentioned on here very occasional flash sales but I don't recall any being for Paradiski. All IME.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Does anybody know a source of cheap lift passes for Paradiski?

There is no such thing as a cheap lift pass for Paradiski. As@Layne, says visit http://www.lesarcs.com/forfaits-ski.html and search but they are all expensive ~300 euro for an 8 day pass for Les Arcs + La Plagne
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@James the Last, When are you looking for them for? They were sales before Xmas with 10% off including Paradski. We are out 21st March and am keeping am eye out as I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of offer for March once Feb sales are done.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it has held up well here, given the skier load, but really needs some fresh. The moguls are pretty steep now and there are holes in the bottom of moguls as my poor skis can testify. I've ripped the edging off one ski! Actually it's been a great week with minimal queuing, some times we've gone straight through which at half term is terrific.

It just proves what a varied sport it is because the last four weeks I've skied have been in knee deep powder, yet we've no fresh this week, skied on well worn pistes and we've all enjoyed it. Last day tomorrow, let's hope it's sunny if it isn't snowing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flying out to Arc 2000 on 1st March. Keeping an eye on the snow forecasts and reports with interest!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi - I'm looking to go to Les Arcs in a few weeks time and torn between hotel choices. Options are limited due to a party of three and the need for two rooms. Options are MMV Altitude or Les Melezes in 2000 or La Cachette in 1600. Altitude is full board but of three is furthest from slopes (albeit not far) but going with my parents in their 60's who don't like walking too far with ski gear and don't like button lifts which this involves. I'm leaning towards La Cachette in 1600 only concern there is returning at end of the day - the old folks don't like slush to much either!! The skiing requirements will be mostly on blues and easy reds, would like a bar for some apres drinks and whilst 1600 looks quiet, 1800 is a free bus ride away which would be fine.

Anyone have any advice, thanks?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Cachette hotel in 1600 is very close to the lifts and there are almost no button lifts in Les Arcs. I am not sure what you meant by "only concern there is returning at end of the day" The runs back to 1600 are perhaps a bit on the steep side for blues but usually snow sure and straightforward. In 1600 you have the Abrevoire, just over the square of the dead tree from the Cachette hotel. It has live bands a couple times a week (but closes about 02:00) and the Avri bar next door which is pretty lively whenever I call in.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you opt for Altitude there is a normal lift (elevator) and very short walk to the top of an access slope. The button lift is a slightly quicker option. You probably have a 2 minute walk to the button lift, or a 90 second walk plus lift time plus 30 second walk to the access slope.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies. Concern at end of day was more soft slushy snow if temperatures increase with 1600 being lower, wasn't aware from what I read about a lift as opposed the button so thanks. Going with my folks is my only chance of a ski holiday this year and the more stress/moan free it is the better!! Thanks again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone still out in Les Arcs??
- just wondering what conditions are like?? Looks like you've had some snowfall - but not 'huge'??
Forecasts look good - but actuality doesn't always agree.
Any comments from anyone there would be interesting to hear. Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Updates coming to me about Les Arcs in the last 24 hours are looking good. There has been about 10cm of fresh snow on the lower slopes and a little more higher up. The winds have not been too strong and the temp has stayed low enough to help make the snow more stable off piste, but best to still avoid the steeper slopes.

Those out skiing this weekend say the pistes are not that busy and the fresh powder made it fun to ski everywhere, even into the stations which were getting rather warn a few days ago.

With the fresh snow that is forecast this week, the coming days should bring some good powder conditions. Those coming out or who have just arrived are in for another good week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went for the Cachette in the end in 1600, best thing about booking a late-ish deal is that it is not too far to wait. Can anyone recommend a bar in 1600 that will be showing the England v Scotland 6 nations game on Sat 14th? Its my dad's major concern at the moment, that and getting back home in time for the France game the following Saturday! Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do remember watching a rugby union match in the Avri bar once. The Abrevoir does have live sport on sometimes early in the evening, but what, I cannot recall. May I suggest that you ask if they can put it on. If all else fails you may find something in Bourg st Maurice which is quick trip on the funicular (IIRC it shuts at 21:00)

The Cachette is in a lovely location and I am sure you will enjoy it.
ski holidays
laura1182 wrote:
I went for the Cachette in the end in 1600, best thing about booking a late-ish deal is that it is not too far to wait. Can anyone recommend a bar in 1600 that will be showing the England v Scotland 6 nations game on Sat 14th? Its my dad's major concern at the moment, that and getting back home in time for the France game the following Saturday! Thanks

Bus to 1800 and you'll find somewhere, BKM or Red Hot probably...

Anyway, today has to be one of the best days I've had this season, we didn't really leave 1600, just skiing trees around the Blanc all day, then a quick ski down the back to 1950 in some lovely snow, back up Comborciere into Malgovert to put down some fresh knee deep tracks!

Tired now.
snow report
They had the Rugby in Arvi earlier in February when I was there. And there was a 'new' bar not far from there as well more of a pub feel that was showing it as well. So you should be fine.
ski holidays
3 weeks tomorrow we head out again. Very jealous of anyone heading out for next week. Looks like a great week ahead.
latest report
@Richie_S, Where is this "new" bar. I was there over Christmas and didn't see anything
latest report
Two weeks today!! I'm forecasting a megadump Friday 13th.... wink
latest report
allanm wrote:

Me too! Hope your right!
snow conditions
@johnE, walk through the the square from the cachette lift end, when you leave the square into the 'street/alley' that has the spar on it it, it's kinda first on the left... Or thereabouts.

Don't recall that bar being there previously?
ski holidays
dylan32 wrote:
allanm wrote:

Me too! Hope your right!

dylan32, I will NOT be wrong. Ever......

Not impressed with rain forecast for 1600 though (:<)
latest report
Quote:

@johnE, walk through the the square from the cachette lift end, when you leave the square into the 'street/alley' that has the spar on it it, it's kinda first on the left... Or thereabouts.

Don't recall that bar being there previously?

If you mean the square of the dead tree (that really is its name) then you are talking about the Abrevoir, which I recall from my first visit to Les Arcs circa early 80s(it even still had seating upstairs then) It is probably the oldest bar in Les Arcs. Did it have a pool table in the front window and a bar football table as soon as you walk in. And a live band in the back?
snow report
Yeah, that sounds like the one.... Embarassed ... I've been going to Les Arcs for 15 years, so not quite sure how I missed that. Puzzled
latest report
I hope today's forcast falls as snow at 1600 too alanm - two weeks today wil be my first ski day of the season, this time last year I had had 3 trips, getting excited now!
snow report
4 weeks today will be in Vallandry, cautiously optimistic snow will still be ok
latest report
heading back out for 3 days at the end of the month, will be in Vallandry from 28th March
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in Arc 2000 around midday and it's quite grey. Quite a lot of precipitation varying from drizzle, sleet to heavy snow. Maybe 4cm of wet fresh snow has fallen in the last few hours, it will be interesting to see if it cools down and falls heavily tonight as forecast.
snow conditions
Finally made it back again. Just heard the lifts were closed in Arc 2000 bowl by mid afternoon. Sounds like I did not miss much today although I was also told it was a little better over in the Vallandry area.

Hope we get some good fresh snow tonight and the wind drops to make it a good day tomorrow. I will post an update when I get back down tomorrow. It is still raining down in the valley right now.
snow report
dylan32 wrote:
allanm wrote:

Me too! Hope your right!

Me three!!

Weather reports look ok, with some more snowfall predicted. Keep us posted on the conditions snowcrazy Smile
snow conditions
Scottland wrote:
dylan32 wrote:
allanm wrote:

Me too! Hope your right!

Me three!!

Weather reports look ok, with some more snowfall predicted. Keep us posted on the conditions snowcrazy Smile

Me Four !
latest report
Me five! Hope the forecasted warmer temperatures don't ruin the snow!
snow conditions
After all the talk of storm conditions yesterday and rain to 2000+ metres I was not expecting to much today. What a pleasant surprise we had.

Met up at Arc 1600 for a change as very few lifts opened first thing. Spent the first few runs playing in the Mont Blanc and then the Malgovert Forests until the higher lifts opened to avoid the big lift queues elsewhere.

The snow in both these areas was good once you got into the sheltered areas and we found plenty of jumps to keep us all happy.

Then up the Clocherets Chair and back down the face under the chair to find more jumps. Nice soft snow for landing. After two laps of the lift it was time to go higher.

Up the Arpette Chair and down to the Marmotte Chair via another little couloir. Really good snow again and quite stable. By now we were getting hungry so a quick lunch in Arc 2000 before heading onto Par Avalanche and more good snow mixed with wind blown patches. Kept it safe and went the easy way today.

Back up to Droset and found more fresh tracks away from the piste nature area. Well tracked when we rejoined the piste area and down to Comborciere Chair. The queue was to big so got the bus back up to Arc 2000 and went to Bois de l'ours instead.

A nice run down the right side of the Fond Blanc piste in more mixed snow but still room for a few fresh tracks and into the snowpark. A few more jumps and it was time for the group to go different ways. Those of us not in a hurry had a nice drink in the Aliport before heading for home as the lifts closed.

The pistes everywhere we went today were in good condition after the fresh snow over the last few days and the off piste, although mixed with some patches of hard crud caused by the rain, was still fun with plenty of soft fresh untracked snow to enjoy.

With more snow forecast and lower temps in the next few days the conditions are looking OK for anyone out this week or coming out shortly. You do need to be careful off piste, but as you can see from our photos of today, there are plenty of safe places to have fun.

For anyone out right now, we are leaving from the bottom of the Cachette Chair at 9.30am tomorrow or the bottom of the Arpette Chair at 9.40 (approx) if it is running. Send me a message if you would like to join us.

Hope you all have as much fun tomorrow as we had today!

I will post the photos from today in the March 2015 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page shortly. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Remember, anyone passing through Bourg or able to get to the bottom of the funi needing ski or snowboard rentals. Check out Polaire Star shop at the bottom of the funi. They have some great skis for these conditions and also do excellent repairs.

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow report
'M' looks cool!
ski holidays
Hi, we're going to be staying in Arc 1800 in mid-March and were considering taking a one day "break" from skiing and doing some sightseeing around the area. We'll have a car. Can you suggest nice places to visit for a one-day getaway from Les Arcs? Thanks!
snow report
Hi chenav, I had seen this but we only have time saturday morning therefore couldn't take advantage. It may be of interest?

http://grangedalice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/our-local-cheese-wins-medal.html

http://www.fromagebeaufort.fr/cooperative-laitiere/bourg-st-maurice
snow conditions
@Llew, Ah! the cheese factory. We spend a lot of time throughout the year in Les Arcs climbing and skiing. Whenever the weather looks bad, too bad for even a walk, then we always say we will visit the cheese factory. Fortunately we never have. This is not to say the cheese factory is not worth a visit, only that the weather has never been that bad. Howev it is migrated into group folk law such that when the weather was appalling in Llanberis at the end of February someone suggested "visiting the cheese factory"

Anyway bacjk to @chenav's, query as what to visit on a get-away from Les Arcs. Well there is the old capital of the Savoy, Chambery. The staggeringly beautiful notre dame des vernettes is locked up during the winter months, but that is a short walk from Arc 1800. The lake at Annecy is quite attractive and some people like the town itself. I keep meaning to have a good look around Lyon. But I suppose it really depends on what sort of sights you want to see.
snow report
@johnE, lol I read and thought initially there was something wrong with the cheese factory.

@snowcrazy, Thanks for the photos and report. around what time were the long lift queues at Comborciere Chair?
snow report
Myself and a few others are going to Les Arcs (well Vallandry) in a few weeks too so keeping an eye on this thread. But all of this talk about a French cheese factory reminds me of a (terrible) joke...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy